What is Medicare for All?

I'm thinking that Warren's support for M4A may be a real problem for her. I don't see it as a winning issue in the general, and it's absurd to make it such a priority when there is ZERO chance it will get enacted anytime in the near future.

It may have been smarter to focus on fixing/improving/expanding Obamacare.

Oh well.

P.S.It will be interesting though to see what she comes up with as a funding mechanism. Maybe she's got a winning surprise for us.

drummerboy said:

nan said:

drummerboy said:

I watched that entire Flint video. I realize there are a lot more, but on the basis of the one I watched, I had no interest in wasting my time with him. It was laughable how weak the case he was presenting was.

You, frankly, appear to have no clue about what makes a good journalist.

p.s.You have about zero clue about what my opinions are about Flint or how I got to them, so don't talk about them as if you do.

I remember you saying you got all your news from CNN ...

I said no such thing, as I've explained to you before. Your inability to retain this simple bit of information is indicative of your relative inability to accurately comprehend that which occurs around you, causing you to be wrong about stuff so much of the time.

https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/forums/discussion/so-much-for-unity-at-the-dnc-corporate-democrats-purge-bernie-backers?page=next&limit=210#discussion-replies-3382894

All it proves is that nan’s been harping on about drummerboy getting all his news from CNN for nigh on 2 years.

All it proves is that sometimes sarcasm doesn't get through to everyone.

Also, the post paul linked to is not the original post where I talked about my CNN habits.

here's the original CNN post:

drummerboy

drummerboy

Nov 26, 2017 at 8:07am

I watch CNN several hours a day (for better or worse, probably worse). A better source of MSM conventional wisdom reporting you can't find. And I don't mean that as a compliment.

=================================================================

Note that there is nothing about "getting all of my news from CNN". I have it on as background noise while I work.

Note also how I denigrate CNN as a news source.

drummerboy said:

here's the original CNN post:

drummerboy

drummerboy

Nov 26, 2017 at 8:07am

I watch CNN several hours a day (for better or worse, probably worse). A better source of MSM conventional wisdom reporting you can't find. And I don't mean that as a compliment.

=================================================================

Note that there is nothing about "getting all of my news from CNN". I have it on as background noise while I work.

Note also how I denigrate CNN as a news source.

Thanks, I looked while on the train but couldn’t find it.

I remember it being a joke for you, but like Obama’s 57 states thing it got tired really fast.

That only means that the health insurance lobby is doing better at propaganda.  Few who understand the difference would choose the public option over Medicare for All.  Medicare for All covers more, puts all doctors and hospitals in one network and at a cheaper price.  

So, either this is a bogus poll, or some serious snow job is occurring.

nan said:

That only means that the health insurance lobby is doing better at propaganda.  Few who understand the difference would choose the public option over Medicare for All.  Medicare for All covers more, puts all doctors and hospitals in one network and at a cheaper price.  

So, if a poll shows majority in favor of the free lunch, it is 100% perfectly accurate, but if it shows there is a significant, if not majority, preference for a public option, then the public is stupid and a tool of the health insurance lobby. Do I have that right ?

Dennis_Seelbach said:

So, if a poll shows majority in favor of the free lunch, it is 100% perfectly accurate, but if it shows there is a significant, if not majority, preference for a public option, then the public is stupid and a tool of the health insurance lobby. Do I have that right ?

1. TANSTAAFL

2. It's not that people are stupid, it's just that they're poorly educated on the benefits of M4A. People just don't know what it's like to exist without worrying about medical bills. 

nan said:

Use of the word "option" will attract people. They think they are getting a choice. The next question should be:

If you had an option would you choose coverage through a Private Insurance Company or Medicare? 

ridski said:

1. TANSTAAFL

2. It's not that people are stupid, it's just that they're poorly educated on the benefits of M4A. People just don't know what it's like to exist without worrying about medical bills. 

That may very well be true, but it is FACT that there is a majority of folks who prefer the private option, educated or not. Quite frankly, I'm in that category, though I think I am as educated as anyone. My concern for M4A is the creation of a totally brand-new, massive federal agency normally doesn't go well. Do we really want to risk peoples health on that? I would prefer to use the PO as the training wheels to get us closer to M4A, and eventually achieve it.

Nan, on the other hand, has nothing but scorn for those who don't 100% buy in to Bernie's Folly, even though most of those who do are equally ignorant of the costs and risks.

BTW, as an old fart, TANSTAAFL ?????

I support Elizabeth Warren. I support M4A. I believe it will not happen right away. Congress will not enact M4A but hopefully the "public option" will be so preferable to what private companies offer that eventually we will end up with M4A or something very close.

Dennis_Seelbach said:

That may very well be true, but it is FACT that there is a majority of folks who prefer the private option, educated or not. Quite frankly, I'm in that category, though I think I am as educated as anyone. My concern for M4A is the creation of a totally brand-new, massive federal agency normally doesn't go well. Do we really want to risk peoples health on that? I would prefer to use the PO as the training wheels to get us closer to M4A, and eventually achieve it.

Nan, on the other hand, has nothing but scorn for those who don't 100% buy in to Bernie's Folly, even though most of those who do are equally ignorant of the costs and risks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_ain't_no_such_thing_as_a_free_lunch

ridski said:

Dennis_Seelbach said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_ain't_no_such_thing_as_a_free_lunch

Thanks

STANV said:

I support Elizabeth Warren. I support M4A. I believe it will not happen right away. Congress will not enact M4A but hopefully the "public option" will be so preferable to what private companies offer that eventually we will end up with M4A or something very close.

We don't need to go to the public option first--we can go to Medicare for All right away.  The public option will not help make the path to M4A.  Buttigieg is a good example of someone who used to support Medicare for All and then took corporate money and suddenly never believed in M4A.  If Warren starts supporting this, you know she will be planning on taking corporate money.

More on Mayor Pete's hypocrisy over Medicare for All.  He gets lots of cash from donors in the health sector.  

I've decided that M4A is the biggest liability that a Dem candidate will carry into 2020, and it was a huge mistake to make it a centerpiece.

If we lose, it will be because the Dem candidate emphasized it too much.

drummerboy said:

I've decided that M4A is the biggest liability that a Dem candidate will carry into 2020, and it was a huge mistake to make it a centerpiece.

I think it is the number one concern for Americans.  Why would giving everyone the security of knowing they will no longer have to worry about getting and keeping healthcare be a liability.  The big problem is fighting the healthcare lobbyists who spread misinformation and the sold-out candidates like Buttigieg, Biden, Harris and others who pretend Medicare for SOME = freedom when anyone who looks closely realizes you get the most freedom from single-payer which provides a single network with no premiums/co-pays/deductibles. 

drummerboy said:

An elaboration, by David Leonhardt in the Times:

The Most Pressing Issue for Our Next President Isn’t Medicare 

nan said:

drummerboy said:

I think it is the number one concern for Americans.  ...

You may think that, but there is no data supporting your conclusion.

Most Americans have health care insurance. It might not be perfect, but it's there and they've learned to live with it.

It is not their major concern. 

DaveSchmidt said:

drummerboy said:

An elaboration, by David Leonhardt in the Times:

The Most Pressing Issue for Our Next President Isn’t Medicare 

Yeah, it was Leonhardt's column that pushed me over the edge. I've been getting soft on the whole issue over the last few weeks, mostly because I saw the trap that it has put Warren into.

Also, pragmatically, there's no way it will pass in the foreseeable future, so it seems like the wrong hill to die on.

Fix Obamacare, and then move on to more important stuff. Repeal the tax cut for the wealthy and corporations. Increase Social Security benefits. $15 minimum wage. Create infrastructure jobs. And global warming, of course.

drummerboy said:

You may think that, but there is no data supporting your conclusion.

Most Americans have health care insurance. It might not be perfect, but it's there and they've learned to live with it.

It is not their major concern. 

It's a top concern for voters in 2020.  For most people, it has become increasingly unaffordable and insecure.  Few have long-term jobs anymore, so it's a huge problem.  Almost any major life change such as job loss, death, divorce, moving, etc.  requires a big change in insurance and possible coverage loss.  I think it can be a winning issue if people can be somehow well informed.  I know it sure helps win people over to Sanders when they realize he is the only one who will fight for Medicare for All. So many people I meed campaigning have horrible medical issues.  They campaign as if it were life and death and for some of them it is. 

Perhaps some of you are listening to Rahm Emanual, which would not be a good thing.  These are common anti-Medicare for All talking points.   

I think Warren has tried not to make M4A the focus of her campaign (much of Nan's criticism of Warren has highlighted this, for instance), but it's such an ambitious policy proposal I'm not sure how realistic it was to expect it not to eventually draw more focus. I think the Leonhardt piece puts it well. Is M4A more important than climate?

More broadly, I like candidate Warren's ambitious wonkiness, but a President Warren is going to have to prioritize, and I feel like I don't have a good insight as to how she will manage the politics of that. I think we do have a sense of her overall priorities, but having signed up for so many ambitious programs in the campaign, how well will she manage the expectations of those disappointed to see their issue take a back seat to another one? Her approach to financing M4A should be revealing here I think -- I'm curious both as to the substance she ends up putting forth but also how she frames it.

Donny Deutch is an out of touch a*h***e.   He spews Republican talking points and does not care how many people are without insurance, as long as he and his elite friends can get excellent care. 

PVW said:

Elizabeth Warren Releases $20.5 Trillion Plan to Pay for ‘Medicare for All’

Ady Barkan (who has been cited earlier on this thread) writes approvingly:

"The plan that Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren just released is another enormous win for us. It will help persuade our friends and families and neighbors to support Medicare for All, and in the not-too-distant future, to convince Congress too. Here’s why."

Ady Barkan: Elizabeth Warren’s Plan Is a Massive Win for the Medicare for All Movement

I still think the major political challenge -- convincing people to give up the insurance they have in exchange for the promise of something they don't yet have -- remains. Will be curious to see how this plan affects people's feelings on this.

Good explanation of why the Public Option is not a good choice, compared to a Medicare for All plan.  Pete spews disingenuous propaganda that he himself knows better.  He is a dishonest actor who gets campaign cash from the health insurance industry and related. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.