The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

LOST said:

Every time I try to engage mtierney I end up regretting it. You would think I would have learned my lesson, but I am like Charlie Brown to her Lucy.

mtierney,

Instead of reading the words of religious bigots how about reading the words of Francis:

http://www.catholic.org/news/h...

mtierney said:

Terrorism begins when God is removed from the heart.

Reporters asked Pope Francis about Islam and terrorism during his flight home from World Youth Day.

Pope Francis: "Not All Muslims Are Violent, Just Like Not All Catholics Are Violent"
Inform

mtierney said:

Evil and mental illness surround us all.
joanne said:

did you have this article on domestic & religious terrorism in your news? Concerns a US case.

https://www.theguardian.com/co...

mtierney said:

And you are a Clinton/Sanders Supporter. Pathetic.
bettyd said:

A Republican voter and Trump supporter.  Sad!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/0...

Times blames America and Trump but does not explain using documents clearly marked "restricted circulation - official use only".

Trump is both evil and mentally ill. Clinton and Sanders are neither. 

Trump supporters are enablers of evil.

LOST said:

I think some people believe I'm being too hard on people like mtierney when I repeat this.  But once again, after the CBO scoring, we know that the GOP just voted to kick 23 million people off health insurance.  And make insurance too expensive for many others to afford.  All to give an $800 billion tax cut to corporations and wealthy people.  How can Christians continue to support the GOP?  What they did with health insurance was exactly the opposite of what Christ taught.  They are consciously afflicting the afflicted and comforting the comfortable.  Where is the Christianity in that?  I may not have God in my heart. But in my heart I know that the AHCA is cruel and callous and wrong.

LOST said:

+1

Also, another comment from our Moron in Chief:

President Trump told top European Union leaders that “the Germans are bad, very bad” during a closed-door meeting in Brussels, according to a report.
The President was referring to the country’s trade surplus with the United States, a person who attended the hour-long meeting told Der Spiegel newspaper.
European attendees believed U.S. officials were ill-informed because the E.U. negotiates trade deals with America as a whole, not on a country-to-country basis, according to German news reports. (Too polit to say its Trump who is ill-informed).
"If you want to build cars in the world, then I wish you all the best,” Trump told the German-language Bild newspaper in January. “You can build cars for the United States, but for every car that comes to the USA, you will pay 35 percent tax.”
But companies including BMW and Mercedes-Benz already have manufacturing plants in the U.S. and ship cars made there to Europe and Asia.
Roughly 850,000 German vehicles are made in the U.S., Reuters reported in January, and some 33,000 people are employed by the country’s car companies.
American drivers bought over 1.3 million cars from German companies in 2016, while Germans purchased about half a million American cars, according to past reports.

Americans bought 1.3 million German cars whereas Germans bought .5 million cars. And Trump is offended?

The reality is the US had a population of 321 million, Germany has 81 million, 1/4 of the US. Per capita Germany is buying more American cars than we are buying German cars.

As I said, Moron in Chief.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new...

does he only have two words in his vocabulary to describe anything?  "Great" and "bad"?

ml1 said:

does he only have two words in his vocabulary to describe anything?  "Great" and "bad"?

Huuuge?

A regular Shakespeare.

ridski said:

http://newsthump.com/2017/05/2...

Really, Ridski, posting fake news for a giggle - or not - should be banned. it only contributes to the distrust and anger in the world.

mtierney said:

ridski said:

http://newsthump.com/2017/05/2...

Really, Ridski, posting fake news for a giggle - or not - should be banned. it only contributes to the distrust and anger in the world.

Yes we are entering a world where some people can't tell the difference between real, fake and satirical.

ml1 said:

LOST said:

I think some people believe I'm being too hard on people like mtierney when I repeat this.  But once again, after the CBO scoring, we know that the GOP just voted to kick 23 million people off health insurance.  And make insurance too expensive for many others to afford.  All to give an $800 billion tax cut to corporations and wealthy people.  How can Christians continue to support the GOP?  What they did with health insurance was exactly the opposite of what Christ taught.  They are consciously afflicting the afflicted and comforting the comfortable.  Where is the Christianity in that?  I may not have God in my heart. But in my heart I know that the AHCA is cruel and callous and wrong.

You are not being too hard. I have been too soft. Look at her latest saying that posting a satirical piece should be banned. But she's perfectly fine with posting lies about Hillary Clinton.

As a Jew I am not expert on Christianity or what Christians believe. But I remember a recent Op-Ed in the NY Times where a Christian Clergyman said that the teachings of Jesus where not what was central to Christianity. I believe he said that what was central was the suffering and crucifixion. This reminded me of an interview I saw with a Priest who was critical of the Mel Gibbons film "The Passion of the Christ". He said that someone "from another planet" viewing the film would have no clue as to why this guy (Jesus) was hated by these other people.

Lost:

https://cruxnow.com/ap/2017/05...

Ridski:

"Satire"  presented as news on the World Wide Web is probably at the heart of the fake news epidemic, wrecking damage to elections, reputations, careers, terrorism investigations, all all manner of stuff in print. You know the adage, "You can't kid a kidder...."

mtierney said:

Lost:

Ridski:

"Satire"  presented as news on the World Wide Web is probably at the heart of the fake news epidemic, wrecking damage to elections, reputations, careers, terrorism investigations, all all manner of stuff in print. You know the adage, "You can kid a kidder...."

No it isn't. 

ridski said:

mtierney said:

Lost:

Ridski:

"Satire"  presented as news on the World Wide Web is probably at the heart of the fake news epidemic, wrecking damage to elections, reputations, careers, terrorism investigations, all all manner of stuff in print. You know the adage, "You can kid a kidder...."

No it isn't. 

A lot of elected Republicans have thought stories at The Onion are true 

wonderful, brilliant,  boss, el numero uno, fabulous, incredible, the best, better than best, unbelievable.

See, quite the vocabulary!

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

Lost:

Ridski:

"Satire"  presented as news on the World Wide Web is probably at the heart of the fake news epidemic, wrecking damage to elections, reputations, careers, terrorism investigations, all all manner of stuff in print. You know the adage, "You can't kid a kidder...."

"Epidemic"?

The National Inquirer has been publishing fake news for over 50 years. 

I'm sorry that my link to an article on US domestic crime that could be classed as terrorism-linked has been seen as 'piling on' a particular poster, and not discussed - I'd thought it related to general themes above, of how we classify who will be likely plot religious-based destructive and murderous schemes; how do we recognise these individuals in advance, and what do we do to keep our communities safe. 

Blaming cases such as the specific example in the article on 'mental illness and evil' firstly continues the general discrimination of people with mental illness as unpredictable and potential criminals. Secondly, it blandly excuses 'difficult exceptions' as merely evil (so no further thought need be expended in that direction). 

The article presented, in a neat contradictory package, many of the immigration, religion, crime and treason themes discussed upthread. Please read. 

now it just sounds likes homework.  cheese

joanne said:

I'm sorry that my link to an article on US domestic crime that could be classed as terrorism-linked has been seen as 'piling on' a particular poster, and not discussed - I'd thought it related to general themes above, of how we classify who will be likely plot religious-based destructive and murderous schemes; how do we recognise these individuals in advance, and what do we do to keep our communities safe. 

Blaming cases such as the specific example in the article on 'mental illness and evil' firstly continues the general discrimination of people with mental illness as unpredictable and potential criminals. Secondly, it blandly excuses 'difficult exceptions' as merely evil (so no further thought need be expended in that direction). 

The article presented, in a neat contradictory package, many of the immigration, religion, crime and treason themes discussed upthread. Please read. 

oops, sorry! It's the former librarian in me....! (I'm blushing now!!) I'm really curious to hear your views, few people I know here will discuss such matters out of politeness. 

LOST said:

LOST said:

I suspect that mtierney's definition of "evil" differs substantively from the common understanding of the word.

mtierney said:

shuttling to and fro on my limited time out (health aide on duty) I enjoy listening to PBS on the car radio. 

Enjoy it while you can.  Your Mango Mussolini's budget eliminates funding for public broadcasting of all stripes.

Once again, it's worth remembering there is more than one set of zealous nut jobs using their religious beliefs to promote hatred.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/...

Religious Right activist “Coach” Dave Daubenmire declared on his “Pass The Salt Live” webcast this morning that America needs “a more violent Christianity.” He cited President Trump and Greg Gianforte as examples of violent men who are properly “walking in authority.”

“The only thing that is going to save Western civilization is a more aggressive, a more violent Christianity,” he said"

That was the lesson of the Sermon on the Mount wasn't it - "Blessed be the aggressive and violent, for they shall inherit the earth." 

http://biblehub.com/luke/6-29....

"If a man strikes you on your cheek ... punch him in the stomach"

This, when it's our Shavuot and almost Christian Pentecost, when we learn about caring for those most vulnerable and less fortunate among us, and when we learn about welcoming strangers and widows, orphans. Sigh.   

THE EIGHT BEATITUDES OF JESUS

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, 
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 

Blessed are they who mourn, 
for they shall be comforted. 

Blessed are the meek, 
for they shall inherit the earth. 

Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, 
for they shall be satisfied. 

Blessed are the merciful, 
for they shall obtain mercy. 

Blessed are the pure of heart, 
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers, 
for they shall be called children of God. 

Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

Gospel of St. Matthew5:3-10

we went to Israel and Jordan with a mostly Jewish tour group a few years back. Noting that there were three or four Christian couples in the group, the tour leader assured everyone that no Christian Holy sites would be overlooked.

Leaving the Church of the Beatitudes, with pamphlets from the church, as we boarded the bus again, we Christians and Jews marveled how much alike we were!

I can't even.

Why do you post the words of Christ in the Politics section?  Especially when the politics that you favor are in direct opposition to these words?

mtierney said:

THE EIGHT BEATITUDES OF JESUS

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, 
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 

Blessed are they who mourn, 
for they shall be comforted. 

Blessed are the meek, 
for they shall inherit the earth. 

Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, 
for they shall be satisfied. 

Blessed are the merciful, 
for they shall obtain mercy. 

Blessed are the pure of heart, 
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers, 
for they shall be called children of God. 

Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

Gospel of St. Matthew5:3-10
we went to Israel and Jordan with a mostly Jewish tour group a few years back. Noting that there were three or four Christian couples in the group, the tour leader assured everyone that no Christian Holy sites would be overlooked.
Leaving the Church of the Beatitudes, with pamphlets from the church, as we boarded the bus again, we Christians and Jews marveled how much alike we were!

so as to have the original words heard again. -- not rewrites -- as in

Love Your Enemies

27“But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. 29To one who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also, and from one who takes away your cloak do not withhold your tunicb either.30Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back. 31And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.

to my knowledge, you still haven't explained how your politics square with the Beatitudes.  I suppose you think I'm your "enemy."  But I'm not.  And you aren't my "enemy."  If anything, you're exactly like a lot of my relatives.  People that I love, but whose disconnect between their religion and their political and social attitudes exasperates me.  So maybe I'm being unfair to you by arguing with my relatives by proxy with you. Let me add that under most circumstances I don't bring up another person's religion.  But you wear your religion on your sleeve, so it's impossible for me to ignore it.  And you inject your religion constantly into your political posts.  So in your case I think it's fair to continue to point out that the politics you support would be appalling to Jesus Christ if he appeared today in the United States.  And I just can't get over how you live with the cognitive dissonance.

mtierney said:

so as to have the original words heard again. -- not rewrites -- as in

Love Your Enemies

27“But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. 29To one who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also, and from one who takes away your cloak do not withhold your tunicb either.30Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back. 31And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.

To be fair, that is a rewrite, as the original words were in Aramaic.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Help Wanted

Lessons/Instruction

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!