WandaVision - Help me Wanda, is it a Vision?

Don't know what you're talking about, J.  None of my questions/comment were directed at you personally in the slightest.  I liked the show until the last episode, which I'm questioning and not in a particularly snarky way.     

Didn't take it personally, b.  I think my own comments were not being responded to, so maybe 'snarky' is the wrong term to use.  I've posted reactions and conjectures more geared to fans of what they are doing, I'm not feeling this thread to be conversation at all - it's more like random reactions to recent episodes.  While I'm reflecting on what the writers were doing, no one was really conversing with me about what I wrote.

Maybe I'm putting a little too much effort in here, though I don't take it personally if others are not into it as much as me.  I do feel like I'm posting in a vacuum, so forgive my indulgence if I sit this one out.  

If I have an answer to a poster's question, I try to give it.  Not giving you the cold shoulder if that's what you are feeling.  My perception from  million years on MOL is that most individual posts don't get responded to.  One shot deals. 

bub said:

If I have an answer to a poster's question, I try to give it.  Not giving you the cold shoulder if that's what you are feeling.  My perception from  million years on MOL is that most individual posts don't get responded to.  One shot deals. 

I get it, very Short Attention SpanTheatre here, same as it ever was.  Like I said, I didn't think you gave me any shade (or anyone here, for that matter). I was just looking for something a little deeper, and frustrated not to get it.  I was looking for a dialogue and was getting more of a monologue.  

You've been on here since the Paleozoic Era, so you know what I'm talking about.  It's my party and I'll cry if I want to......

mrincredible

Jan 21, 2021 at 12:58pm

TheJmon said:

I'm getting a sense that this thread is almost over, so I'm going to tap into some of the 'old timers' that have participated in this thread. Do you remember a game we used to play almost twenty years ago on here called 'Thread Killer'? Someone would start a thread, and then we would see how fast we could stop the conversation. I haven't been back on here long enough to see if it's still around, but it was one of my absolute favorites. To that end, I just read an article on a Fliboard feed that will absolutely kill this thread, or open up a whole new conversation here. Is anyone interested?

Nah, I was hoping we could just, you know, talk about the show as the episodes are released.

TheJmon

Jan 21, 2021 at 2:48pm

OK, cool, I'm down for that.

Can't seem to quote multiple types of comment, so sorry for the mess. My question last night was a genuine question coming from someone who thought we were going to be talking about the show as the episodes are released, because TheJmon was down for that.

If you want to talk about the cultural impact of Wandavision, we can go there, too. We can have both kinds of conversation about this show.

ridski said:

What did Speed do to the troops that came in with Hayward, and why did they spend the rest of the battle just standing around?

Speed didn't do anything except take their guns and sow confusion.  The other twin had frozen them with mind control.  Then Hayward fired bullets that clearly had no effect b/c powers, and fled.  Any smart soldier at that point looks for cover.  

bub said:

Some questions:

Wanda turns Agatha back into Agnes so that, what, Agnes will wander around Westview by herself since its "citizens" and the WV family are no longer there?  Does Westview even exist without Wanda around?

What was the difference between Hayward's official mission and his true objective that turned him rogue?  What was his motivation?  And how did he and his troops get through the force field and how did they know they could do it?

Not a plot hole exactly but a disappointment.  Kat Denning's smart funny character's role in the finale reduced to crashing into Hayward's Humvee.   There's a slight.    

Wanda's powers were so immense that she created the Vision and the kids and they weren't just illusions.  They were self aware.  Why did she need to enslave real people to fill her fantasy town?

Westview pre-existed the spell.  Whatever spell Wanda cast on Agnes would also take care of fitting her into the restored Westview and everyone's memories.

Hayward was making a bureaucratic power grab.  It is an accepted trope of all Science Fiction that that, ipso-facto, makes you evil.  The force field opened.  I could see it, so could they.

Agree.  Also would have liked a redemption arc for Agnes, but I only watch 'em, I don't get to write 'em.

The core conceit of the show is that Wanda did not intentionally cast the spell but instead the spell was an expression of her grief made manifest.  As such, I think it would be quite understandable if the construction of a spell so powerful that she had no idea the she could cast it might not be as tight as a planned spell would have been.  That said, what she wanted was Westview with her family in it.  Westview already existed, there was no need to construct it, only adapt it to her needs.  Even in the last episode, elements of the construction of the spell were still novel to Wanda.  I'm sure if she were to do it again, she would do it differently.  For any of us who have ever lashed out in grief, I think that is totally understandable.

I enjoyed the series overall. 

I don't think we've seen the last of Agatha, after all. I think in her mind she was dealing with a potential magical threat. It reminds me of Mordo at the end of the first Dr Strange movie ... he seems to be on a quest to take magic away from other sorcerers. Maybe Agatha feels that's how she protects the world from magic, by making sure she controls it. Kind of like Tony with Iron Man tech. He feels he's the only one he can trust with it.

We got the origin story for Monica's powers as well, so she can be introduced into the next Captain Marvel movie without a long setup. I assume the old friend of her mom's is Nick Fury who we know is in space.

At any rate Wanda has now unlocked a tremendous amount of power for herself and she seems to be even more unhinged. The end of credits scene shows some kind of duality going on between tea-drinking Wanda and Darkhold-reading Wanda. 

max_weisenfeld said:

ridski said:

What did Speed do to the troops that came in with Hayward, and why did they spend the rest of the battle just standing around?

Speed didn't do anything except take their guns and sow confusion.  The other twin had frozen them with mind control.  Then Hayward fired bullets that clearly had no effect b/c powers, and fled.  Any smart soldier at that point looks for cover.  

Thank you. I guess I missed Speed holding the guns.

About the final post credits scene. I had read that it shows Wanda is more powerful than Dr Strange because she can perform regular tasks while astrally projecting, which apparently Strange can’t do (couldn’t finish that one.)

ridski said:

About the final post credits scene. I had read that it shows Wanda is more powerful than Dr Strange because she can perform regular tasks while astrally projecting, which apparently Strange can’t do (couldn’t finish that one.)

Yes, my son, who is more invested in the entire enterprise than I am, has also said that Wanda, in the comics, is more powerful than Strange.

What I do know from the comics is that Scarlett Witch has a tendency to lose control, that her powers are sometimes shown to be beyond her ability to control.  While I thought that was an apt growth arc in this series, I really do not want to see the MCU use it again, as the weak woman unable to handle power trope would be a little to retro for my taste.  I did like that she resolved it without having to be rescued.

I lost track of the Mind Stone. I know Thanos destroyed it in "Infinity War". I guess Cap returned it to its original place in the timeline. So I guess it's still destroyed.

can the original Vision be restored without the Mind Stone? Is the colorless Vision that appeared in the last couple of episodes going to be the new vision? He has the memories, but is that all that Vision truly is?

I have to imagine that Wanda will be trying to use the power of the dark Holm in an attempt to restore her love. She was able to do it temporarily, but now I'm sure she's going to look for a permanent way to restore vision.

...l’ll catch up on the almost-100 posts since I last opened this thread later. Just barging in to say, what fun! And, so many threads and layers to unravel! There’s enough here to keep almost every kind of viewer and fan glued to their seat, even if they don’t quite approve of the various tweaks and ‘improvements’ to Canon (whether the older comics or slightly newer filmic Universe) - we already know about magical parallel universes and alternate realities bleeding into other time-lines and changing things, so why not this??

We’ve finished Ep 7, BTW.  smile

Ridski, Max, did you note that it was Monica controlling the bullets’ flight?

max_weisenfeld said:

And Mr I, re which version of Vision - considering the pale humourless version flew off having been defeated by coding and rhetoric (very basic epistemology, in fact) I suspect he’s not the version to thrive in future episodes. I do suspect he’ll be around for a while as weaponry, mainly because I don’t think we’ve finished with the products advertised.

I find it strange that we didn’t seem to have ads in the last couple of eps even though we appeared to be live-streaming parts of them. (Or just my interpretation?) I’m also wondering if the very long, real credits at the end of each ep contained hidden info or jokes - they too quickly for us to read. 

Edited to add: I really loved the changing signs around Westview shops, especially at the cinema! ‘Tannhauser: Putting the ‘fun’ into dysfunctional’ indeed  smile cheese

Edited again to add: you’ve prob all read

https://www.etonline.com/wandavision-series-finale-interview-jac-schaeffer-161951  In which the creative team hint White Vision might turn up again somewhere, some way but Wanda’s Vision won’t. He’s gone for good. 

Was just reading in the Wikipedia article on the final ep that Darcy/Kat Dennings was meant to be more prominent in the ep, however as things were tweaked and scenes shifted/rewritten, she wasn’t able to be present for filming due to covid considerations. 
That’s such a pity! But, yep, affected heaps of entertainment projects over the past many months. 

joanne said:

max_weisenfeld said:

The very powers to which I alluded! ;-)

joanne said:

And Mr I, re which version of Vision - considering the pale humourless version flew off having been defeated by coding and rhetoric (very basic epistemology, in fact) I suspect he’s not the version to thrive in future episodes. I do suspect he’ll be around for a while as weaponry, mainly because I don’t think we’ve finished with the products advertised.

I find it strange that we didn’t seem to have ads in the last couple of eps even though we appeared to be live-streaming parts of them. (Or just my interpretation?) I’m also wondering if the very long, real credits at the end of each ep contained hidden info or jokes - they too quickly for us to read. 

Edited to add: I really loved the changing signs around Westview shops, especially at the cinema! ‘Tannhauser: Putting the ‘fun’ into dysfunctional’ indeed 
smile
cheese

Edited again to add: you’ve prob all read

https://www.etonline.com/wandavision-series-finale-interview-jac-schaeffer-161951  In which the creative team hint White Vision might turn up again somewhere, some way but Wanda’s Vision won’t. He’s gone for good. 

Love your insight, and I'm going to reserve comment at the moment on the Visions.  The biggest thing to try and remember (and I'm learning the hard way), is that just because things happened a certain way in the comics (whoops, wrote the wrong word earlier) does not mean any of them need to happen in this show.  They packed a boat load (I wanted to use the real term that begins with an S) of things into every episode on purpose - they want the fans to discuss.  It's all conjecture, and the big joke is on all of us if we try to figure any of it out.  Just enjoy and let us know when you finish up.  I don't want to spoil anything for you if you have not finished.  Keep guessing, but I won't tell.

Your point about the commercials (or lack thereof) is an interesting one.  If we think of Westview as just one big manifestation of Wanda's grief, then all of them make sense as projections of her subconscious.  My feeling is that this is what they were, and it's silly to think of them as much more than that (though fun as hell). 

If anyone is into it, maybe we could list each commercial and dissect, but I think it's a safe bet to say they are meaningless moving forward.  I think they were just narrative tools, and all the fan noise is off base.

joanne said:

Was just reading in the Wikipedia article on the final ep that Darcy/Kat Dennings was meant to be more prominent in the ep, however as things were tweaked and scenes shifted/rewritten, she wasn’t able to be present for filming due to covid considerations. 
That’s such a pity! But, yep, affected heaps of entertainment projects over the past many months. 

Nah, my feeling is that Wikipedia is just keeping the fan fiction alive here.  There is much chatter about how 'rushed' and surprising the last episode was, and all the little teasing mid credit and end credit scenes were. I'm a bit more realistic these days in my view that everything was calculated to move the Marvel Universe machine forward and nothing was left out to keep that going.  That theory is interesting though, as it means you are paying attention and will be consuming said product for as long as it's out there.  

That being said, I hope they can keep the rest of their 'product' as interesting, because WandaVision will be a tough act to follow if you ask me.  The Doctor Strange movie that Wanda is supposed to 'tie into' is the one of the last things that will be revealed and shown on a big screen.  They are playing the 'Snyder Cut' here, and it's a very shrewd move.  

With my memory, especially with all the fatigue & brain fog that comes with cancer treatments, I’m not the best person for keeping track of details from one production to the next. (In my final week of radiation - yippee!! And my hair is slowly growing back!)  However my D is an avid fan of many decades’ standing (he sold his comics collection for the deposit on our first house, back in the late ‘80s), so ‘canon’ is important to him. He’s learnt to accept newer interpretations and characters as they’ve evolved, but like a jigsaw puzzle, everything has to fit neatly...  We’ve now returned to the beginning of the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. series to refresh our memories before watching newer things. Even in there, lots of Easter eggs cross-reference heaps of things in the real world/other non-Marvel programs so you can either watch superficially or really scrutinise. 
re Wanda: in some scenes when she’s wearing her superhero costume she’s wearing a curious necklace, shaped like her headdress.  Has anyone else noted how Bat-like it appears?

joanne said:

I didn't. Then again, I haven't watched Captain Marvel either, so I didn't know who she was, what SWORD was, or how she got her powers (was it after she entered into the Hex?). 

I obviously haven't done enough homework to get this show and I don't wish to derail this thread any further, so I'm bowing out. 

ridski said:

joanne said:

I didn't. Then again, I haven't watched Captain Marvel either, so I didn't know who she was, what SWORD was, or how she got her powers (was it after she entered into the Hex?). 

I obviously haven't done enough homework to get this show and I don't wish to derail this thread any further, so I'm bowing out. 

She got her powers, in the MCU version, by a series of passages through the wall of the Hex that re-wrote her DNA (Darcy explains it, more or less, when Monica proposes going back in for the last time)

Ridski, don’t go!!  tongue laugh  We need your POV!

joanne said:

Ridski, don’t go!! 
tongue laugh
 We need your POV!

Thanks, but nah... Believe it or not, I'm not here to yuck people's yum.

Now the new 'chatter' begins-  Does anyone want to talk Falcon and the Winter Soldier, or should we make a new thread for it?  The articles have started popping up on my Flipboard feed.  Honestly, I'm not sure I'm much longer for that format, as some of the 'noise' is really dumb.  Full disclosure - most of the articles I've read about WandaVision were pure fanboy dreck.  Believe it or not, there are STILL articles being written about the entire series and even minutia you would be surprised anyone would want to talk about.  Same with this new series.  Reminds me a lot of that old sayings about opinions and a certain....um...place that excrement comes out of (sorry, I'm trying to behave for Jaime).  

Anyway, I'm genuinely looking for thoughts on this so I'll be very clear?  New thread tittle - Give Bucky a Chance?  Or This is Captain America Calling? (2 points for anyone that can tell me what song that last one if from)

No thoughts on the title, but yes to a new thread

It's the Kinks.  Can't remember song title.

New threads are cleaner cheese 

I’m busy enough trying to declutter & clean for Passover (and because we’re being smothered  in the mess, frankly) to read ahead. Plus I have a literal tower of old New Scientists toppling by my side whenever I move off the couch - I have to donate them somewhere! smile 

Rewatching Agents, though, there’s lots of ‘hints’ and links that we missed the first time - heaps we knew about, and some we picked up relatively soon as the series developed. But also loads of things links written in (or ‘product placement’) perhaps done to tease or just be clever. It’s all way too complicated for me to keep track of! My D just sits mumbling and grumbling, so I have to forage with the iPad and miss out on the screen action.  cool cheese

bub said:

It's the Kinks.  Can't remember song title.

YES! Give that man a cigar! The Kinks, Catch Me Now I'm Falling.  

OK, I'll hold off on my ever so witty tittle until I've watched this first episode, but so be it.  The fans tend to want to lump it all together, but this series looks like it will be very different than this one.  

I’ll be late to join in - he won’t start until he’s got everything related to it. Sigh. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Help Wanted

Lessons/Instruction

Advertisement

Advertise here!