The Top 25 Censored Stories of 2016-2017

First of all - "those" residents? It was one guy. Who wasn't making a helluva lot of sense. If he thinks his water is hurting himself, the thing to do is to get it independently tested, not walk around with 3 year old plastic bottles of muddy water and bags of hair.

How the hell do you find nonsense like that convincing?  And Chariton was just spouting out crap for which he had no proof.

Maybe there are ongoing problems. But videos like that don't prove squat.

I have no doubt that in a city the size of Flint, if there were still ongoing problems related to water purity, some neighborhood group would have gotten together, raised some money and paid for some independent testing to show that the EPA is full of crap. That's the way a citizen fights a problem like this. Not by ranting and flinging out unproven charges.

p.s. And Chariton said something that directly relates to my point earlier about exaggerating the effects of the lead contamination, by implying there was serious and permanent cognitive damage done to children (and he happened to throw in cancer, just for the hell of it, I guess.). Parents who don't know any better will now spend their lives thinking that their children have been permanently impaired because of glib aholes like Chariton. Do you know how effed up that is?

Chariton opens the video by saying "I'm no scientist", I guess as an excuse for whatever stupidity was gonna  launch from his mouth - but newsflash! - real journalists gain expertise in their subject area before deciding to talk about it. And when they do decide to finally talk about it, they don't start with an excuse.

The only thing I found mildly (very mildly) convincing was his spiel about the filters, but, again, he failed to convince me because he couldn't adequately describe exactly what the problem was, and, more importantly, if there was a better solution. I've used water filters for years, and I've never had a bacteria problem. But I don't know what kind of filters are being used, so maybe it is a problem in Flint. Bottom line though, is that Chariton comes off as a pretty superficial and kind of lazy "journalist", if that's what he actually thinks he is.

Oh, and I'll believe the EPA on their water quality tests until someone disproves them by doing their own water testing. I really don't have any choice.

As I said, there are dozens of videos. That was just one, and I picked a short one because you have made it clear you don't like video evidence.  Chariton interviews many, many people and there are heartbreaking stories in every one.  The whole story on how these poor people got screwed over is also upsetting. But, since you are such a genius, you can watch 10 minutes and be able to tell that the investigative reporter is lazy and the people of Flint don't organize well and the EPA is right.  Great work!  I'm sure you are relieved that CNN does not even bother to cover such nonsense.

Tell me this - was this video a good example of Chariton's "investigative journalism", or was he just having a bad day?

nan said:

As I said, there are dozens of videos. That was just one, and I picked a short one because you have made it clear you don't like video evidence.  Chariton interviews many, many people and there are heartbreaking stories in every one.  The whole story on how these poor people got screwed over is also upsetting. But, since you are such a genius, you can watch 10 minutes and be able to tell that the investigative reporter is lazy and the people of Flint don't organize well and the EPA is right.  Great work!  I'm sure you are relieved that CNN does not even bother to cover such nonsense.

or how about this - you picked that video, I assume, because you thought it would present to me convincing evidence of something.

What, exactly, was that? What do you think are the most compelling parts of that video?

Cause here's what I saw: a guy who looked like Santa Claus who apparently thinks the water in his house is poison but apparently hasn't taken the most obvious step of getting it tested. Instead he walks around with a 3 year old bottle of water and bags of hair. Very compelling.

Chariton clowned around, pretending that installing a water filter is ridiculously hard. And then babbling on about bacteria growing in the filter, implying that it was just as dangerous as the crap the filter is filtering out. (I'm pretty sure I found the study that said bacteria can grow in the filters. The study didn't say word one that it was harmful. Instead, it gave suggestions on what to do to minimize growth.)

Let me ask you this - after hearing him talk about the filters, did you research any details on the free filters that he was talking about? Did you look into the issue of bacteria growth? Or did you just take his word for it?

That's a rhetorical question.

I watched a lot of the videos.  They fill in the gaps that you are asking about.  I believe the people of Flint over CNN and MotherJones.  Chariton did a tremendous job.  He was there on the ground everyday.  No one else comes close.  No one else even cared.  I posted that one because it was short and I know you won't spend more than a few minutes on anything I post.  Funny how you are somehow trying to call this superficial, but you are all about the superficial "expert" review.  If you really care about this issue watch more of his videos on Flint or the other cities he visited.  He also went to Indiana and North Carolina. There is tons of evidence. The guy you are making fun of is a resident of Flint.  The people who live there are mostly poor, and due to the problem, unwashed.  They don't look like the people in Maplewood and South Orange.   He is trying to get his water tested.  That has been the problem.  The EPA gave them the filters and told them the water was now fine.  But it is not.  They have done their own testing.  They have done everything you are saying they need to do.  But, they are screwed and no one is helping them.  It is a big news story and it is getting ignored. 

The Flint water story isn't being ignored. 

they've done their own testing? Great! Can you show me the results?

complete side issue, but did you know Chariton has been fired by TYT for harassment?

nan said:

I watched a lot of the videos.  They fill in the gaps that you are asking about.  I believe the people of Flint over CNN and MotherJones.  Chariton did a tremendous job.  He was there on the ground everyday.  No one else comes close.  No one else even cared.  I posted that one because it was short and I know you won't spend more than a few minutes on anything I post.  Funny how you are somehow trying to call this superficial, but you are all about the superficial "expert" review.  If you really care about this issue watch more of his videos on Flint or the other cities he visited.  He also went to Indiana and North Carolina. There is tons of evidence. The guy you are making fun of is a resident of Flint.  The people who live there are mostly poor, and due to the problem, unwashed.  They don't look like the people in Maplewood and South Orange.   He is trying to get his water tested.  That has been the problem.  The EPA gave them the filters and told them the water was now fine.  But it is not.  They have done their own testing.  They have done everything you are saying they need to do.  But, they are screwed and no one is helping them.  It is a big news story and it is getting ignored. 

If you have questions about these videos, then watch them and find out the answers. I have watched a bunch, but not all and I don't remember all the details.  What happens with the testing is that the EPA will test for some substance, like lead and say the water is fine, but ignore bacteria ratings.  What I found out from watching this is that water tests are as political as anything else.  Also, water filters.  The Jordan Chariton videos cover the topic more extensively than any other source. Hopefully TYT will send another reporter in to update the story and keep on it because I don't think the mainstream media covers it well.  There are also similar situations in Indiana and other places.  This did not get voted the #1 underreported story for nothing.

Do you have text of the list - or do we have to watch a 30 minute video?

Yes, I provided a link in my post, above. 

I call BS on this thread for all the reasons cited by others besides the OP. Prompted to say this this morning given the one news alert (unprompted that popped up on my phone) I am looking at now: From CNBC: Bernie Sanders' campaign says it raised more tan $34.5 million in blowout fourth quarter.

From Wendy - Rachel Maddow follower which of course makes anything I say quite suspicious to nan given her distorted views of her and the other brilliant people on MSNBC. (Or perhaps nan doesn't write about such crazy things here but saves it all for Facebook.)

wendy said:

(Or perhaps nan doesn't write about such crazy things here but saves it all for Facebook.)

I wouldn't know about that, in light of a recent unfriending by someone who's Facebook name won't be mentioned by me.   smile

An example of how the word “censorship” can mean different things to different people, from a recent essay about the Soviet dissident Vladimir Bukovsky’s book “Judgment in Moscow”:

Although editorial suggestions are part of the publishing process, Bukovsky considered these to be “political censorship.”

And, while I’m bringing up that essay, here’s a quote from Bukovsky that might encapsulate an opinion of some regular commenters in MOL’s Russia-related discussions:

“The ability to make a situation they created seem like the lesser evil was something the Soviet regime had developed into a fine art.”

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.