Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news worldwide

Then they came for the Jews, and I said nothing—because I was not a Jew.....

The Gospel for today includes the following: 

One of the scribes came to Jesus and asked him,
"Which is the first of all the commandments?"
Jesus replied, "The first is this:
Hear, O Israel!
The Lord our God is Lord alone!
You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart,
with all your soul,
with all your mind,
and with all your strength.

The second is this:
You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
There is no other commandment greater than these."

At the Mass I attended this morning at St. Joe's, Father Jim pointed out that there is no comma after "Love thy neighbor", to further define who your neighbor is.  There's just a period, full stop.  That's because "neighbor" means everybody.

today’s message from our pastor in Ocean Township today — does not relate to the current political turmoil, but to turmoil nonetheless...

"But the point was the Church does not depend ultimately on institutions. We're not fighting primarily for that aspect of the Church's life. We are fighting for the victims these terrible crimes.  We are fighting for the people who were sexually assaulted, sexually abused"

Well, some Catholics are fighting for the victims.  Others, including one who posts right here on this thread, are fighting for the people who abused them, the people who grabbed them in the pussy because they were rich and famous and felt like they were entitled to do so and bragged about doing it afterwards.  And the ones who defend the rapists, the monsters, the pussy grabbers, including the one who posts right here on this thread, literally know no shame.  It gives me pause.

If only that were true.

mtierney said:
If only that were true.

Which part? 

Have you stopped defending the Pussy Grabber or have developed a sorely needed sense of shame?

I found a new problem for Christians.  I'm not hearing a chorus of Christians condemning the use of tear gas on women and children at the San Ysidro border crossing.  

tjohn said:
I found a new problem for Christians.  I'm not hearing a chorus of Christians condemning the use of tear gas on women and children at the San Ysidro border crossing.  

I found a new problem for Muslims too.  I'm not hearing a chorus of Muslims condemning the use of tear gas on women and children at the San Ysidro border crossing.  

lord_pabulum said:

tjohn said:
 I found a new problem for Muslims too.  I'm not hearing a chorus of Muslims condemning the use of tear gas on women and children at the San Ysidro border crossing.  

This is Mtierney's discussion about challenges facing Christians and christianists.

tjohn said:

lord_pabulum said:

tjohn said:
 This is Mtierney's discussion about challenges facing Christians and christianists.

I understand that (and that MOL followers regard the esteemed Mtierney as the voice of Christians worldwide).  I am providing a comparison and context to your inane observation.

lord_pabulum said:

tjohn said:

lord_pabulum said:

tjohn said:
 I understand that.  I am providing a comparison and context to your inane observation.

of course it's inane.  Why would anyone expect prominent Christians to address such an issue?  They have to start gearing up to fight the War on Christmas©

lord_pabulum said:

tjohn said:

lord_pabulum said:

tjohn said:
I understand that (and that MOL followers regard the esteemed Mtierney as the voice of Christians worldwide).  I am providing a comparison and context to your inane observation.

I don't consider it inane in a country where a loud group  of "Christians" try to claim the moral high road and try to enforce their beliefs through laws.

tjohn said:

lord_pabulum said:

tjohn said:

lord_pabulum said:

tjohn said:
I don't consider it inane in a country where a loud group  of "Christians" try to claim the moral high road and try to enforce their beliefs through laws.

To what "Christian" beliefs are you referring?  I assume that you are referring to abortion (however, many Christians, such as main-line Protestants, believe that the decision to have an abortion is a serious matter and therefore, abortion should not be prohibited).  Thus, I need a little assistance in understanding your POV.

The christianists who helped elect Trump.

tjohn said:

lord_pabulum
said:

tjohn said:  

Yes,  there are many hypocrites in all religious and ideological ilks.

You know, I would really like to respond, but I have a devil of a time figuring who said what in multiple comments in green. Any one  else have this issue?

mtierney said:
You know, I would really like to respond, but I have a devil of a time figuring who said what in multiple comments in green. Any one  else have this issue?

In brief, we are waiting for you to remind Trump in the strongest possible terms that Jesus did not say to tear gas the sojourner.  

Claims that these migrants are criminals, that this exodus harbors terrorists from the Middle East, are unfounded. Are there a few criminals somehow mixed in? No more than with any other group in the past and that would include the immigrants that came to this country in the last 200 years: Italians, Irish, Germans and on and on. People fleeing Honduras, for example, who are mainly women and children, face some of the worst violence, inequality and corruption in the world: criminal gangs, rape and persecution, on top of poverty. There is a reason that they are risking everything to come here. They are fleeing crime, not bringing it. So before you dismiss these people as illegals, as too expensive and as criminals, know the facts. And even if you want to dismiss these facts, remember what Jesus said about welcoming the stranger. He did not say welcome them when they had the right papers. He did not say welcome them when there was zero risk. He did not say welcome them when you could afford it. Jesus said, welcome them.

https://www.americamagazine.org/politics-society/2018/11/26/father-james-martin-stop-assault-asylum-seekers

He did not say welcome them when there was zero risk. He did not say welcome them when you could afford it. Jesus said, welcome them.

So not only is the esteemed Mtierney the voice of Christians worldwide, she also has Trump's ear? (and in other inane commentary someone compares a sojourner to migrants storming a US port of entry while those seeking entry properly have to wait).  It's very unchristian of me but I believe I would call the police if an alleged sojourner entered my house in search of food and shelter.

lord_pabulum said:
So not only is the esteemed Mtierney the voice of Christians worldwide, she also has Trump's ear? (and in other inane commentary someone compares a sojourner to migrants storming a US port of entry while those seeking entry properly have to wait).  It's very unchristian of me but I believe I would call the police if an alleged sojourner entered my house in search of food and shelter.

I thank the good Lord that I don't give a f*ck what "Lord Pabulum's" opinion is about anything.

You're welcome

ETA - ... and remember love thy neighbor

nohero said:

lord_pabulum said:
 I thank the good Lord that I don't give a f*ck what "Lord Pabulum's" opinion is about anything.

Tad over the top, no? And I hear that word quite clearly, typo notwithstanding LOL 

mtierney said:

nohero said:

lord_pabulum said:
 Tad over the top, no? 

No.  Not at all.  

Regarding the title of this thread, some might wonder if the ‘challenge’ might be simply holding children’s attention:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-29/boy-takes-centre-stage-at-the-vatican/10565860 

(The ‘voices off’ commentary note the lack of respect and discpline, while they themselves are speaking over the Reader)

the joyful expression on the Pope’s face is priceless!

mtierney said:

nohero said:

lord_pabulum said:
 Tad over the top, no? And I hear that word quite clearly, typo notwithstanding LOL 

The poster is angry because they found out the Obama administration also used tear gas hence they sounded a bit hypocritical.

Can we all avoid feeding the troll?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.