Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news worldwide

I could not disagree more about the appropriateness of removing his statue.  I have always been embarrassed that the first Catholic Supreme Court judge was the author of Dred Scott. And I have often used this as an example of inculturation run amok. Sure, preach Christianity in a way that makes sense to those to whom you are preaching, but do not abandon core doctrinal claims, such as that all people are created in God's image. To do so risks abandoning the faith. Which is precisely why we don't need statues of Roger B. Taney. 

according to that link, Judge Taney was highly respected by his peers and considered a good man. It is sometimes too easy to condemn the actions of others. It is very difficult to try to understand, and perhaps forgive, from our 21st Century perspective.

The Virginia incident had Nazi overtones of hatred. How disgusting,  and most likely  these thugs had no real knowledge what actuallytook place in Europe. Ignorance of past history begets stupidity going forward.

The Nazi regime murdered 11 million  people - 6 million Jews and 5 million "others". 

In Europe and the Middle East presently there millions of displaced people and God knows how many dead. Killed because of hatred of Christianity  --and fellow Muslims! No one can question the existence of evil.

Religions don't cause what is taking place world-wide -- it is the lack of faith that corrupts.

No one needs to rewrite the 2,000 year old 10 Commandments,only follow them.

mtierney said:

The Virginia incident had Nazi overtones of hatred. How disgusting,  and most likely  these thugs had no real knowledge what actuallytook place in Europe. Ignorance of past history begets stupidity going forward.

The Nazi regime murdered 11 million  people - 6 million Jews and 5 million "others". 

Since they were chanting anti-Semitic slogans, most likely these thugs did have real knowledge of what actually took place in Europe.

LOL!  

Archbishop calls on Catholics to denounce racism and mtierney refuses.

Ronald Reagan said that he didn't leave the Democrat Party, the Democrat Party left him.  I suppose something similar has happened to mtierney.  What is a traditionalist to do when Church leaders start denouncing clerical rape and racism?

Oh, never mind....

mtierney said:

according to that link, Judge Taney was highly respected by his peers and considered a good man. It is sometimes too easy to condemn the actions of others. It is very difficult to try to understand, and perhaps forgive, from our 21st Century perspective.

In Europe and the Middle East presently there millions of displaced people and God knows how many dead. Killed because of hatred of Christianity  --and fellow Muslims! No one can question the existence of evil.

Religions don't cause what is taking place world-wide -- it is the lack of faith that corrupts.

No one needs to rewrite the 2,000 year old 10 Commandments,only follow them.

3,400 years old, more like. Jesus didn't get them.

I stand corrected, Ridski.

God gave the 10 Commandments to Moses, and Jesus is the son of God, I got my dates mixed up  surprised 

mtierney said:
God gave the 10 Commandments to Moses, and Jesus is the son of God, I got my dates mixed up  surprised 

I think we all find that part confusing.  I'm my own Grampa and what not....

Moses took dictation on 613 obligations, if we're going to be correct....but let's not worry about that, eh? cheese 

we have enough trouble with 10! LOL 

mtierney said:

we have enough trouble with 10! LOL 

Some of us more than others.

was that a personal jab?

mtierney said:

was that a personal jab?

Actually, it was a shot at the raping white supremacist who is currently infesting the White House.  Your man.

{I actually love that graphic - I might pinch it for use elsewhere cheese }

you are very welcome to "pinch" it, as I most likely stole it myself!

Klinker said:

mtierney said:

I think we all find that part confusing.  I'm my own Grampa and what not....

Well, as they say - Jesus had two dads and he turned out just fine.

add the Holy Spirit, and you have the Holy Trinity!

(I am old enough to recall when it was Holy Ghost, not Holy Spirit.)

mtierney said:

add the Holy Spirit, and you have the Holy Trinity!

(I am old enough to recall when it was Holy Ghost, not Holy Spirit.)

Add the Saints and Mary and you have a gaggle.  Polytheism in action....

Catholic priest steps down after revealing he was a Ku Klux Klan member decades ago

People can change and it sounds like this dude did his time (although the sentence from the 70s is shockingly light given the magnitude of what he was doing).  I'm guessing Jesus would give him a pass.

As a non Catholic, I was wondering what all the fuss is about regarding the Pope seeing a psychologist.  Is mental health a sin in the Catholic Church?  Shades of Scientology?

Some of the controversial background is addressed in this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/01/pope-francis-psychoanalysis

I suspect that there's also the 'reason' for the discussion (influential/inspiring women) and the fact that he visited visited a woman at night at her home for treatment, with no-one being officially aware of his visits. 

The BBC view:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-41124752

This seems to reinforce the angle that the revelation is finally 'explaining' his actions or non-involvement in those two Jesuit priests martyred by the junta. And also that he firmly believes we all, men (even priests) included, need to communicate better. 

Not being Catholic I do not usually visit this thread but after reading the linked story I was wondering what some of you would think about Steve Bannon's attack on the Church Leadership.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/07/steve-bannon-trump-daca-242430?lo=ap_a1

I'm not usually a fan of Pope Ratzinger's appointments but I was impressed by Cardinal Dolan's comments concerning DACA.  Dolan said of Trump's action that it was "“certainly not Christian, and I would contend it’s not American,”

Hard to see how someone can so thoroughly renounce Christ that they would support the ROTUS and still call themselves a Christian or even a Catholic.

LOST said:

Not being Catholic I do not usually visit this thread but after reading the linked story I was wondering what some of you would think about Steve Bannon's attack on the Church Leadership.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/07/steve-bannon-trump-daca-242430?lo=ap_a1

Deplorable.

Colombia tour....

Pope Sees Two Slain Clerics as Martyrs for Peace in Colombia
Pope Sees Two Slain Clerics as Martyrs for Peace in Colombia

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.