Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news worldwide

Perhaps a child shall lead us, putting our combined focus on what can help another....

In the Jesuit link I posted, the priest wrote:

"In light of these questions, I have to ask myself how I can accompany others around me who face insurmountable odds and difficult decisions. How can I be an instrument of hope? For those times when an ethics board alone cannot help us, we all need some form of community for solidarity in sharing the joys and sorrows we experience. 

First, the new proposed "restructuring" of health care costs has not passed.  I would not worry about costs in the short term. I am sure many Catholic hospitals would be happy to waive most fees. The publicity would be priceless. And there are likely Catholic organizations that would be happy to step in to pay for whatever he needs (Knights of Columbus, for example - again, the you can't buy that sort of publicity.)  

Whether or not anyone in the official Catholic healthcare universe cares much about the pointless suffering of an infant remains unclear. 

joanne said:

here's the Guardian on Baby Charlie:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk...

I'm a little confused, though. Won't he be ineligible for health care support under your proposed Act? And even if he's made a citizen, what of his parents? And how does that fit with all the other travel/immigration issues currently being debated? (He's certainly going to be a drain on the public purse)

I get that, in the short term. But he'll be an obvious 'pre-existing conditions' case for almost everything for his whole life, long may it be. So everything single body process will be a challenge, growth itself will be a challenge; he will need so much incidental support as well as the obvious things. So he's exactly the kind of person you're trying to not encourage to apply for citizenship, yet in this case at the highest level, you did the direct inviting. 

Don't mind me - I'm just confused, as usual. 

we do not fear the Charlies of the world. They do not wish us harm.

If faith can move mountains, why not fish delivery?

http://nyti.ms/2tZjYQf

mtierney said:

Reality?

mtierney said:

I wonder why the delivery is only during a torrential downpour. One would think God would not require a storm to do a delivery.

It happens every year — at least once and often more, residents say — during the late spring and early summer. And only under specific conditions: a torrential downpour, thunder and lightning, conditions so intense that nobody dares to go outside.

I prefer the faith-based theory wink 

You prefer that God allows them to starve unless there is a storm?

Just tossing this in as something more interesting than the fish -

Cardinals on Opposite Sides of the Hudson Reflect Two Paths of Catholicism

"Neither cardinal wanted to comment for an article that compared them. But comparisons are inevitable because Pope Francis placed Cardinal Tobin in the same major media market as Cardinal Dolan when he appointed him to Newark in November. There had never been a cardinal in Newark. And of course, there is the standard rivalry that exists between New York and New Jersey in all things."

If Almighty God really wanted to help these people maybe he could just lead them out of the slavery of poverty so that they don't have to scrape tiny fish off the pavement just to feed their kids.

To believe that God does materially intervene in people's lives but that he still allows starvation and plague to slowly and painfully kill millions of children is to believe in a VERY EVIL God.

Klinker said:

Is this really a blessing?  I can only imagine the stink. If Almighty God really wanted to help these people maybe he could just lead them out of the slavery of poverty so that they don't have to scrape tiny fish off the pavement just to feed their kids.

To believe that God does materially intervene in people's lives but that he still allows starvation and plague to slowly and painfully kill millions of children is to believe in a VERY EVIL God.

He sees you when you're sleeping. He knows when you're awake.

Ridski, I believe your confusing Him with Santa Claus.

ridski said:

Klinker said:

Is this really a blessing?  I can only imagine the stink. If Almighty God really wanted to help these people maybe he could just lead them out of the slavery of poverty so that they don't have to scrape tiny fish off the pavement just to feed their kids.

Jasmo said:

Ridski, I believe your confusing Him with Santa Claus.
ridski said:

Klinker said:

They're both white men with beards, they both give you fish if you're good and I've never seen them in a room at the same time. 

Pope Ratzinger's Lieutenant Stole From Hospital to Renovate His Palace

How many of Ratzinger's close accomplices have now been arrested or implicated in rape, theft and God only knows what else?  What is the opposite of a Saint?  This guy was the most corrupt Pope since the Borgias.

Klinker said:

What is the opposite of a Saint?  This guy was the most corrupt Pope since the Borgias.

But, but, but, the Sainted John Paul II was the one who raised Ratzinger to highest level in the Curia.

sorry: can't keep up today. Have we covered Ratzinger's brother?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/201...

Klinker, you have posited this question many times on this same thread.

The answer is that God grants us the gift of free will. Evil people do evil things -- not God.

Klinker said:

If Almighty God really wanted to help these people maybe he could just lead them out of the slavery of poverty so that they don't have to scrape tiny fish off the pavement just to feed their kids.

mtierney said:

The answer is that God grants us the gift of free will. Evil people do evil things -- not God.
Klinker said:

Right.  That is the standard Christian explanation of God's inaction.  You, however, seemed to imply that God was bombarding these folks with tiny fish as some sort of blessing because they were hungry.  If God is, indeed, intervening in the lives of these free will having hungry people, why can't he save the countless other hungry children who are literally starving to death?

I look forward to your explanation of this seeming inconsistency since it has puzzled me since my first days in  Sunday School.

i am surprised this wasn't covered here today/tonight...but then, you might be asleep, or otherwise occupied...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/201...

joanne said:

http://wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/mo...

It's not such a mystery.

I knew it wasn't.

I really asked the question because I think its strange an unlimited God would limit His "miracles" to scientifically explainable storms.

mtierney said:

Klinker said:

Free will does not explain the millions killed by disease and weather.

just watched the mini series "Francis" on Netflix. Recommend it.

Surprised (not really) no one has mentioned this month's BIG story of American Catholic Church - Vatican relations:

"EVANGELICAL FUNDAMENTALISM AND CATHOLIC INTEGRALISM: A SURPRISING ECUMENISM"

wherein Vatican insiders, who are alleged to be friends of the pontiff, rigorously criticize the alignment of the US Catholic Church with Fundamental Protestants.   Catholic blogs and websites have been all about this story. Read it here: http://www.laciviltacattolica....

Archbishop Wilton Gregory of Atlanta weighing in on Charlottesville and the need for the US Bishops (USCCB) to be outspoken in their condemnation of racism:

https://cruxnow.com/interviews/2017/08/15/gregory-charlottesville-bishops-must-speak-silence-approval/

Thanks for that link - noticed this story on the removal of a Supreme Court judge's statue which I had not heard about before. It goes too far, in my opinion,  and without public input, it shows the current panic of public officials.

https://cruxnow.com/church-in-the-usa/2017/08/18/statue-first-catholic-supreme-court-justice-removed-wrote-dred-scott-decision/

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.