South Orange BOT election

reservationgirl said:
 I didn't hear it or see it, but ya know, anyone can say anything. Sure, as intelligent human beings we can add up evidence, and then we can infer, and then we can conjecture about what anyone says about anything. The games of politics rely on these things. They want you to get to the point where you start talking about your opinions about what's right & wrong, based on their suggestions, when in reality, they haven't really said anything at all. They're manipulating you to say it. When I was a teenager, I got myself into a social situation that turned bad. It was in Florida, I was from NJ. When push came to shove, literally, I said, "I'm going to call Vito". He believed me, and took me home. There was no Vito. Sometimes you just grab the last straw and hope for the best. How does anyone know the truth about what another person says? Of course, you use your best judgement, but don't ever forget, anyone can say anything. It's what separates us from the apes. 

Um, this was a traffic ticket.  You act respectful, accept the summons, and if you know you were right, you appear in court.  

A teenager threatening another teenager with calling "Vito" has nothing to do with this.

mayhewdrive said:
Received the first mailer from Deborah’s campaign today.  They must have a lot of money to be sending color mailers so early. 

Received mine stuffed into my front door. 2 pieces and yes it looks expensive.

Rob_Sandow said:

Um, this was a traffic ticket.  You act respectful, accept the summons, and if you know you were right, you appear in court.  

A teenager threatening another teenager with calling "Vito" has nothing to do with this.

That is easy for us white men to say. 

POC, and women, often feel differently, and have good reason to do so. 

It is problematic for those of us who have never experienced what it is like to be a woman of color stopped by the police to dictate how they should react, or to call into question how they feel about the situation, if we have never shared their experience.

This is of course not limited to WOC -- trans and gay folk come to mind as well.

Has the argument about Lawson-Muhammad spilled over into here? 

Morganna said:
 Received mine stuffed into my front door. 2 pieces and yes it looks expensive.

2 pieces?   I just got the 11x17 folded full color mailer. What was the 2nd piece?

I got a personal visit from one candidate handing out flyers.  I grilled him for a while.

mayhewdrive said:
 2 pieces?   I just got the 11x17 folded full color mailer. What was the 2nd piece?

Not sure, I put it into recycling. I'll see if it's still there. I glanced at it but knew I was voting for Sheena so I tossed it. A friend is printing Sheena's lawn signs so I'll be putting one on the lawn pretty soon.

I'm wondering if the Robocalls from Stacy Borden and other people in the Deborah Ford Davis slate will be counter-productive.  We receive multiple calls EVERY day.   TWO in the last hour... 

I knew there was a reason I dont answer my home phone.

Njjanyce said:
I'm wondering if the Robocalls from Stacy Borden and other people in the Deborah Ford Davis slate will be counter-productive.  We receive multiple calls EVERY day.   TWO in the last hour... 

Can you post the numbers, please?  I'll put them on call block. 

I don't answer calls from numbers or people I don't know.  Even with Nomorobo and call block, we get at least 6-8 robocalls daily. Each day, I go through the calls that get through and put them on call block. 

cramer said:
Can you post the numbers, please?  I'll put them on call block. 
I don't answer calls from numbers or people I don't know.  Even with Nomorobo and call block, we get at least 6-8 robocalls daily. Each day, I go through the calls that get through and put them on call block. 

I started with donotcall.gov but I'm inconsistent. I hesitate to drop what I'm doing to open up the site and list the call and the time. They also require me to enter what the call was about which would mean answering them all and I read that once you pick up it registers that you are home at that time and puts you back on the cycle.

Posted on: April 8, 2019

Error in Printing of Vote by Mail Ballots

Attention!

An open letter to residents and voters in the Township of South Orange Village who have requested, received and/or returned Vote By Mail Ballots for the 2019 Municipal Election to be held in the Township of South Orange Village on Tuesday, May 14, 2019.

April 8, 2019

RE:      Error in Printing of Vote by Mail Ballots - 2019 Municipal Election

Dear Residents and Voters All:

By now as I am sure that many, if not all of you are aware; there appeared an error in the Vote by Mail Ballots where Mr. Moore and Mr. Zuckerman were erroneously listed as Candidates for Village President. under column 1 (Mr. Zuckerman was erroneously listed under 1C instead of 2C, and Mr. Moore was erroneously listed under 1D instead of 2D). This ballot has been mailed out to several residents already and it came to my attention this past Saturday, April 6, 2019, at which time we in the Clerk’s Office took immediate action to correct the error. 

Please be advised that the problem has been corrected and the Essex County Clerk’s Office this week, on behalf of the Township of South Orange Village shall be sending the new amended ballot which properly has the candidates placed to all voters who have either: requested, received and/or returned the erroneously printed Vote by Mail ballots.  This letter shall be included with the amended and corrected ballot, and I respectfully request that you disregard the ballot previously sent.  Nothing regarding this error shall affect the Sample Ballots that shall be mailed soon showing the position of the Candidates on the Ballot or the position of the Candidates on the Voting Machines for the May 14, 2019, Municipal Election.  Should anyone have any questions or should you wish to discuss further; please do not hesitate to contact me at (973) 378-7715, ext. 7722; or by email at: @southorange.org">kharris@southorange.org.  Again, please accept my apology for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.  With kind regards, I remain

Very truly yours,

KEVIN D. HARRIS

Village Clerk

https://www.southorange.org/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=1617

Njjanyce said:

Political calls are exempt from Donotcall lists.

A lot of money is being spent with over a month left before the elections, yet there are no ELEC filings available on the state web site for any fund raising activity to this point.  As I recall, any donations over $300 need to be promptly disclosed on form C1, and I see no C1's filed for any candidate so far.  So as I understand it, in order to be in compliance with NJ state law, all of the candidates' contributions to date would have to have been less than $300 each in order to avoid the C1 filing requirement, assuming that all candidates are following the letter of the law.

A slate can report them late and pay a small penalty, if memory serves.   So campaigns can run in stealth mode if they like until ELEC laws get more teeth.

dave said:
 Political calls are exempt from Donotcall lists.

Yes, but it doesn't make them any less annoying!   

Rob_Sandow said:
A lot of money is being spent with over a month left before the elections, yet there are no ELEC filings available on the state web site for any fund raising activity to this point.  As I recall, any donations over $300 need to be promptly disclosed on form C1, and I see no C1's filed for any candidate so far.  So as I understand it, in order to be in compliance with NJ state law, all of the candidates' contributions to date would have to have been less than $300 each in order to avoid the C1 filing requirement, assuming that all candidates are following the letter of the law.

Filings are due 4/15, 5/3 and 6/3 I believe. 

ctrzaska said:

Rob_Sandow said:
Filings are due 4/15, 5/3 and 6/3 I believe. 

You're right.  My bad.  Initial reports not due til April 15.  I thought I remembered filing them as funding happened (mostly self funded for any amounts over $300, so just reporting on myself). 

We missed an opportunity in failing to elect you Rob. 

FilmCarp said:
There is one million per year in the budget for repaving.  She ought to know that.  She votes for the budget.  It costs $300  per foot to pave.  I learned that by attending the public DPW meetings.  She is on that committee.

Per square foot?

yahooyahoo said:
Per square foot?

No.  Running foot, sidewalk to sidewalk inclusive.

Just got ANOTHER SO Forward mailer. They are running a very negative campaign. Huge turn off. Definitely will NOT be getting my vote.

PurpleMonkeyDshwashr said:
Just got ANOTHER SO Forward mailer. They are running a very negative campaign. 

negative...and completely inaccurate.

As shared here many times, the report is very clear:  http://www.southorange.org/DocumentCenter/View/1146/South-Orange---Maplewood-Fire-Departments---Mantiou-Final-Report---October-2017-?bidId=

Got my Sheena lawn sign today.

Based on the near unanimous reaction on Facebook and SoMa Lounge, DDF's complete lack of political skill and inability to take the pulse of the town she has represented for over a decade is truly stunning. I truly don't understand her strategy of burning bridges with not only her BoT colleagues but also with her counterparts in Maplewood over an issue where she has clearly been bought and compromised, given her complete lack of opposition to the fire department plan up until this point. 

Let’s face it: many people here have no intention of voting against Sheena to begin with. That being said, I don’t get the strategy. How many firefighters actually live and vote in south orange? Is it a play for union support? Why the scare tactic? Has DDF expressed a strong distaste for the consolidation prior to this? I’m not getting it.

annielou said:
Let’s face it: many people here have no intention of voting against Sheena to begin with. That being said, I don’t get the strategy. How many firefighters actually live and vote in south orange? Is it a play for union support? Why the scare tactic? Has DDF expressed a strong distaste for the consolidation prior to this? I’m not getting it.

Great questions. Just remember- Deborah works for Essex County. 

Someone on FB posted that the firemen's local is one of the biggest donors to the DDF slate.  If that is true it should really be looked into.  Not for punitive purposes, but to understand why they are unhappy or against the merger.  

My understanding is that the NJMFBA (Firefighters Mutual Benefit Association) is part of a PAC which is contributing money to DDF's campaign. It's my further understanding that the way these PACs work is that the money is not directly contributed to the campaign but is done through another entity so that it's difficult to know who is actually contributing the money, so that the campaign can say it didn't receive any money from a PAC. 

"Unaccountable super PACs make New Jersey the "Wild West" of campaign finance" 

https://www.politico.com/states/new-jersey/story/2018/03/20/unaccountable-super-pacs-make-new-jersey-the-wild-west-of-campaign-finance-321587

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Help Wanted

Advertisement

Advertise here!