Serious Question: Is Trump a Nazi?

tjohn said:

lord_pabulum said:

Given Trump's pro-Israel stance I think the OP's 'Serious Question' is tongue in cheek.

"Progressive" Nazis were open to the idea of a homeland for Jews. Assuming a quick victory over both France and Britain, the Nazis might have shipped European Jews to Madagascar. So, maybe Trump is a "progressive" Nazi.

You sound like the former Mayor of London who recently called Hitler a Zionist.

I like to read history, so I clicked on a bio of Hitler being reviewed by the NY Times. Trump may not be a Nazi, but he certainly has a lot personality traits that seem similar to Hitler. Sorry, if someone already posted that link.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/28/books/hitler-ascent-volker-ullrich.html

Regards,

RCH

MGonz said:

tjohn said:

lord_pabulum said:

Given Trump's pro-Israel stance I think the OP's 'Serious Question' is tongue in cheek.

"Progressive" Nazis were open to the idea of a homeland for Jews. Assuming a quick victory over both France and Britain, the Nazis might have shipped European Jews to Madagascar. So, maybe Trump is a "progressive" Nazi.

You sound like the former Mayor of London who recently called Hitler a Zionist.

Well, that's certainly a stretch to call the Nazis Zionists, but it does seem that the Nazis didn't settle on the idea of the Holocaust until it became clear that they weren't going to defeat England and Russia anytime soon.

imonlysleeping said:

I just don't see any way this can be read as anything other than a direct Trump takedown.

Her tweets about the review leave no doubt.

rch2330 said:

I like to read history, so I clicked on a bio of Hitler being reviewed by the NY Times. Trump may not be a Nazi, but he certainly has a lot personality traits that seem similar to Hitler. Sorry, if someone already posted that link.

Regards,

RCH

Hitler's personality traits aren't all that special, sadly. What made him special is the fact that he gained control of the 3rd largest economy in the world with a brilliant military.

If Hitler was unique there would be no reason to study him. We study history because we believe it has lessons for the present.

With reference to Trump the lesson is the danger of racial and religious prejudice.

LOST said:

If Hitler was unique there would be no reason to study him. We study history because we believe it has lessons for the present.

With reference to Trump the lesson is the danger of racial and religious prejudice.

And the possibility that Trump is elected President of the largest economy with the most powerful military.

Many things would make Trump a bad and unfortunate President. But none of that makes him a Nazi. It is really upsetting that a large subset of those opposing him feels they need to push things to that absurd lengths.

Anyway, to be a real Nazi, I think you need to have a coherent set of beliefs. One thing Trump does not seem to be is coherent.

Yeh, in some ways Trump is worse than Nazis. The Nazis were abhorrent but they did run an effective (way too effective) government. I could not see Trump running anything well.

Trump is not a Nazi. The fact that we are even discussing it and that anyone has to say it is, I don't know what word best fits.

Some interesting viewpoints in this thread about Trump being just like Hitler. I've never thought of it that way. I guess he is just like Hitler.

what????

helenkitty said:

Some interesting viewpoints in this thread about Trump being just like Hitler. I've never thought of it that way. I guess he is just like Hitler.

what????

helenkitty said:

Nobody is asserting that he is "just like Hitler." Why do people have such trouble grasping even the slightest amount of nuance?

To be fair, invoking Hitler Nazis is not exactly letting slip a kerchief.

Apparently Hitler was a better motivational speaker

imonlysleeping said:

Nobody is asserting that he is "just like Hitler." Why do people have such trouble grasping even the slightest amount of nuance?

And the hair - Hitler would be caught dead with hair like that.

Wasn't there some apoyphal story that Hitler in the early days was advised to do something recognizable and iconic and that's where the toothbrush mustache was born? I mean who else in the world has hair like that? It's gone way beyond even functional, he claims it's not a wig, he's rich enough to get plugs, he lets people muss it up and it serves no purpose other than to make him instantly recognizable. Like how he only wears hats of two colors because he used to be the drummer from the White Stripes.

MGonz said:

Where is Trump's paramilitary force? The Nazi's paramilitary began an organized force in the 20's and there were as many as 200,000 people in it by 1932. When Trump has any paramilitary force you can start making comparisons to the Nazis

Gonzo: You do realize that they two individuals do not need to be exactly the same in every possible way in order to make comparisons. Don't be so black and white.

NYT book review describing how Hitler was perceived when he started:

Adolf Hitler — described by one eminent magazine editor in 1930
as a “half-insane rascal,” a “pathetic dunderhead,” a “nowhere fool,” a “big mouth”

Hitler was often described as an egomaniac who “only loved himself” — a narcissist with a taste for self-dramatization and what Mr. Ullrich calls a “characteristic fondness for superlatives.”

A former finance minister wrote that Hitler “was so thoroughly untruthful that he could no longer recognize the difference between lies and truth”

How did he gain power?

Other writers — including the dictator’s latest biographer, the historian Volker Ullrich — have focused on Hitler as a politician who rose to power through demagoguery, showmanship and nativist appeals

Sound very familiar?

ridski said:

Wasn't there some apoyphal story that Hitler in the early days was advised to do something recognizable and iconic and that's where the toothbrush mustache was born? I

The version I heard was that he was trying to imitate Charlie Chaplin.

DaveSchmidt said:

BG9 said:

Sound very familiar?

Yes, more and more.

Read the linked book review. Substitute Trump for every mention of Hitler. It's still accurate.

shoshannah said:

DaveSchmidt said:

BG9 said:

Sound very familiar?

Yes, more and more.

Read the linked book review. Substitute Trump for every mention of Hitler. It's still accurate.

Pretty much. And the book review looks at the behavior and methods of Hitler and not so much his ideology.

I don't get it. Maybe somebody could explain?And post the link, please. Somebody should definitely do that.

tjohn said:

shoshannah said:

DaveSchmidt said:

BG9 said:

Sound very familiar?

Yes, more and more.
Pretty much. And the book review looks at the behavior and methods of Hitler and not so much his ideology.

Or whether he has a paramilitary force.

imonlysleeping said:

I don't get it. Maybe somebody could explain?And post the link, please. Somebody should definitely do that.

cheese

So it appears we've come to consensus. Trump is Hitler, but he's no Nazi.

That's a relief.

Trump is not Hitler and Trump is not a Nazi. If Hitler and the Nazis are a 100, Trump would be a 75 at most.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!