Movie Talk

I'd add Invisible Man from this year.

Hereditary

The Vanishing - The original one from 1988.

drummerboy said:

I'd add Invisible Man from this year.

Hereditary

The Vanishing - The original one from 1988.

Actually been afraid to watch the Vanishing.  Always sounded too disturbing.  Have yet to see the other two.

I'm adding The Host (by the director of Parasite) and the Dead Zone.  The latter is, I think, an underappreciated Stephen King adaptation, with Christopher Walken playing way against type in the lead role - a sympathetic and tragic figure rather than the psycho/thug he usually plays.

The Vanishing is pretty disturbing, Kinda freaked me out when I saw it.

So is Hereditary for that matter. It's got, for me, one of the scariest (not sure if that's the right word. maybe "most disturbing" is better) scenes ever, and it plays out completely in your mind. You have to supply the visuals. brrrrr

The Dead Zone is good. I've seen The Host, but I don't think I got it. I should watch it again.

bub said:

A Halloween list of some intelligent/meaningful horror movies:

The Babadook

A Quiet Place

The Others

Let the Right One In (The American remake, Let Me In, isn't bad either)

Get Out

The Shining

The Sixth Sense

I've seen most of them and wondering if The Strangers fits with your list.

I won't watch sadistic home invasion movies, which have really proliferated in the 2000s.  I know some of them get good reviews.  Its just not what I want to see.

drummerboy said:

I need to re-watch III. Haven't seen it in many years. I guess I'll skip II.

Exorcist II is completely skippable. Richard Burton is sweating whiskey from beginning to end, Linda Blair had just discovered coke, the script was being re-written while they were shooting, with no idea how it should end. It's a hot mess. Blatty hated it so much that it forced him to write his own sequel which finally hit the theaters written and directed by him as Exorcist III. It's so superior.

I have to admit though that I haven't seen either of the prequels.

I'm putting this out there because it was directed by Friedkin.  Not a horror movie exactly but gritty and tense as hell.  It is a remake of a French movie from the 1950s called The Wages of Fear. 

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1019441-sorcerer

I've seen the original, but not Sorceror yet. It's been on my list to watch for a while.

bub said:

I won't watch sadistic home invasion movies, which have really proliferated in the 2000s.  I know some of them get good reviews.  Its just not what I want to see.

I remember it being very scary but did not remember anything grisley. Its been awhile.

moving away from horror for a moment, this upcoming film seems interesting. By David Fincher - about Herman Mankiewicz, screenwriter of Citizen Kane. w/ Gary Oldman

drummerboy said:

So is Hereditary for that matter. It's got, for me, one of the scariest (not sure if that's the right word. maybe "most disturbing" is better) scenes ever, and it plays out completely in your mind. You have to supply the visuals. brrrrr

The Dead Zone is good. I've seen The Host, but I don't think I got it. I should watch it again.

Did you see the Jeff Bridges The Vanishing. Very suspenseful. Great part for him. A real stretch.

Two black and white favorites both I think were 1963

The Innocents  and The Haunting.

All good titles to add to my watch list.

I was remiss in not listing the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers, one of my all time favorite movies and very smart, especially in the context of 50s sci-fi and horror, which was so filled with dreck.  The director, Don Siegel, also directed Dirty Harry and Escape From Alcatraz.  

Morganna said:

drummerboy said:

Did you see the Jeff Bridges The Vanishing. Very suspenseful. Great part for him. A real stretch.

I did, and wasn't too impressed. The original beats it.

drummerboy said:

I'll hunt for it.

I'm a big fan of black and white, as well as anything that appears Victorian or earlier. So I loved 

From Hell with Johnny Dep and 

Sleepy Hollow also Johnny Dep.

I did quite a bit of costume design and can be easily swept into both costume and set design. I'm a big fan of Steampunk. It often influences my choices.

Hate the clothes worn today. Comfy, but uninteresting.

drummerboy said:

Morganna said:

drummerboy said:

The ending of the remake is just terrible.

Watching Get Out.  So cringe worthy right from the start!

Sundance has got Hannibal, Silence of the Lambs and The Sixth Sense on tonight.

Morganna said:

I saw the Dead Zone but I feel like I would like to watch it again, as I don't remember it well. It rarely plays

I am a Steven King fan but I lean towards his more realistic situations.

Misery both the book and the film. Loved Dolores Claiborne, book and film. And was totally spooked by the book Gerald's Game which was never made into a film. 

Pet Sematary liked the book better than the movie.

And of course the popular Shawshank Redemption.

Gerald's Game was made into a movie that came out in 2017.

I was always puzzled by how seemingly indifferent King was to the low quality of many of the film treatments of his books and short stories.  There are some great ones but a ton of dreck.  He was a superstar author of horror for some time.  You'd think he'd throw his weight around to make sure quality directors etc. were involved.  

I really liked the film of The Dead Zone. Chris Walken, Martin Sheen, etc. 

The Trial of the Chicago 7 on Netflix is fantastic!

Does anyone else need to watch Planes, Trains and Automobiles every time it's on?

jamie said:

The Trial of the Chicago 7 on Netflix is fantastic!

Sacha Baron Cohen as Abbie Hoffman????

Yeah, he did a great job.  The whole cast is pretty good - Frank Langella is really good as the judge.  Keaton is in it as well.

lord, I just spent the last five minutes crying at the end of A Dog's Purpose.

what a wheeny.

jamie said:

Yeah, he did a great job.  The whole cast is pretty good - Frank Langella is really good as the judge.  Keaton is in it as well.

Michael or Diane? 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Latest Jobs

Help Wanted

Lessons/Instruction

Advertisement

Advertise here!