Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

jfinnegan said:

Ok, I prefer your lineup. I just don't see Cano walking away. It also seems that Lindor hates having McNeil at 2B so they're probably going to try to figure out another position for him. Personally I would prefer them not sign Baez. I have always hated his approach at the plate. I used to love seeing him come up to bat when deGrom was pitching. There are a few guys out there they can go for. Bryant would be my top choice, but I think San Fran is going to sign him. Castellanos or Starling Marte would be nice as well. They're also going to have to spend a lot of money on Stroman, possibly Syndergaard or some other pitcher out there. There aren't many options at starting pitcher.

I don't think it's going to be Cano's choice.  He can't force them to put him on the active roster.  It sucks that he's still owed the money after two suspensions, but I figure the team is going to release him.  For Cohen, it's just another sunk cost he inherited from previous management.  Unfortunately I think it counts toward the luxury tax.

but the Mets front office has to think about what it does to team morale to get rid of someone on the roster and send another to the bench to make room for Cano.

I don't like the idea of shifting bunches of guys out of position.  I don't think McNeil would be good at third, and Davis shouldn't be in left.  But will all of these guys actually hit or not, right?  I mean, both of the lineups above are essentially the same as this year, even if the positions move around, and no one has consistently hit this year.

ml1 said:

I don't think it's going to be Cano's choice.  He can't force them to put him on the active roster.  It sucks that he's still owed the money after two suspensions, but I figure the team is going to release him.  For Cohen, it's just another sunk cost he inherited from previous management.  Unfortunately I think it counts toward the luxury tax.

but the Mets front office has to think about what it does to team morale to get rid of someone on the roster and send another to the bench to make room for Cano.

There are at least a couple of guys on the roster that they won't be bringing back, Peraza and Almora. Villar probably not. It's hard to say what stats Cano will have without the steroids, but his worst year was better or similar to what more than half of the team is putting up this year. I don't want him back. I just think they are going to give him a chance. Things could change if Baez or Conforto go on a Cespedes 2015 tear. 

I disagree.  With Cano it's not about numbers.  It's about Cohen saying he is just going to get rid of old mistakes.  Releasing him will make the fans very happy 

I things are gonna start getting ulgy. 

Soul_29 said:

Hitting the White Claws early, Commish?

Train_of_Thought said:

Soul_29 said:

Hitting the White Claws early, Commish?

You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning, Rook. 

Another two week push for DeGrom.  

DanDietrich said:

Another two week push for DeGrom.  

good news is the inflammation is reduced.  bad news is that there is still inflammation.

the positive I'm taking from this is that maybe there isn't any underlying undiagnosed injury.  With all the MRIs he's had, and the reduction in inflammation, maybe it's less likely that there's a tendon tear or something else that hadn't shown up in earlier MRIs.

First, I think he's done for the season.  Second, if there actually isn't anything wrong, what happens next year?  Same thing?

it was a pretty good run through the All-Star break, but realistically I think this team is done. Too many injuries and too little hitting from some of the middle of the order guys when they haven't been injured.  They could put up a bit of a fight if the Phils and Braves don't get too hot, but the next 10 games will probably leave them as much as 6 or 7 games out (maybe more).

and if the team falls out of contention just give Jake the rest of the year off and start over next season.

10 games in a row with LA and SF coming up.  Been a good run until recently.  I agree that they do not have the horses running these days to make it out of August still in contention.

The hard part for me is that I am buying in to the 5 year plan, so I'm trying to think of what positions can be upgraded.  It's not easy.  Our team has shown that being good one year doesn't mean that a player will perform next year.  Conforto looks terrible, despite his annual two good weeks, but who is available that is actually better?  Same for lots of other players.  Do you upgrade at third, or just hold the fort until the guy in the minors is ready?  Do you really need to sign 12 starters to make it through a season?  I'd be willing to move some guys for minor leaguers even if it hurt next year.  The dodgers have impressed me with their seemingly endless supply of prospects that they have used in trades.

MLB should not allow Max Scherzer to pitch against the Mets anymore.

Any chance they can start every inning with a runner on 2nd? 

jfinnegan said:

Any chance they can start every inning with a runner on 2nd? 

That does not help if no one gets a hit.

60-62 and 6 GB. 

It's over. 

Soul_29 said:

60-62 and 6 GB. 

It's over. 

Yogi says differently.

mrincredible said:

Soul_29 said:

60-62 and 6 GB. 

It's over. 

Yogi says differently.

I've seen this movie before. I've cancelled my Hulu Live (effective 9/5).

Let's shut down Jake and Thor and look to the off-season moves. 

Another frustrating loss. 

Nimo doubles to lead-of the game. The team's offense is anemic, so why don't we bunt him over. 

Then Hill and Pujols do the tip of the caps thing (oldest players in MLB) and Pujols launches one. It's a bad optic for a heading south team.   

Give Theo an ownership interest and let's act like a team in the largest market in the world. 

I know Nido is hurt, but what happened to McCann?  Conforto is covering for him in the DP department, but he's a good defensive player.

DanDietrich said:

I know Nido is hurt, but what happened to McCann?  Conforto is covering for him in the DP department, but he's a good defensive player.

Back issues.

From Evan Roberts: "On 8/24/73 the Mets were 6 1/2 back and opened up a series against the Giants. On 8/24/21 the Mets are 6 1/2 games back and begin a 3 game series at home against the Giants. On 8/24/73 Jerry Koosman got the win. Jerry’s # will be retired this weekend. You gotta believe!"

Soul_29 said:

mrincredible said:

Soul_29 said:

60-62 and 6 GB. 

It's over. 

Yogi says differently.

I've seen this movie before. I've cancelled my Hulu Live (effective 9/5).

Let's shut down Jake and Thor and look to the off-season moves. 

It's time to focus on 2022.  Who is going to be let go from the coaching staff and front office?

The real trick is to remember what the plan is.  A sustainable winning team.  That means overhauling an entire organization, not just slapping a bow on the major league roster.  We have three guys in the minors that people talk about. That's it. Watch the Dodgers.  Every year they can trade a good prospect or two for the missing piece.  So I don't focus as much on winning right now.  I would be okay with some off season signings, those are always fun, but I really want to see the little changes in the system.  

According to the Athletic they had to move 3 guys that were supposed to be in player development to the major league level because of firings. The current hitting coach was supposed to be in charge of developing hitters in the minors and adjusting their approaches. I can't imagine he will have a job at the end of the year. I wonder if Cohen will give Theo Epstein an ownership %. It's time to move away from Sandy and any other people that have been with the organization for an extended period of time. I expect he's going to try to get some guys from the Dodgers' and Giants' front offices. 

I have to believe a guy like Cohen is well aware of how data is being used in player development.  Teams like Houston and LA scout and draft well, but you can't have a loaded farm system these days without also making the guys you draft and sign even better.  If the Mets get smarter on the development side, that will allow them to have sustained success.

The MVP Machine: How Baseball's New Nonconformists Are Using Data to Build Better Players

jfinnegan said:

According to the Athletic they had to move 3 guys that were supposed to be in player development to the major league level because of firings. The current hitting coach was supposed to be in charge of developing hitters in the minors and adjusting their approaches. I can't imagine he will have a job at the end of the year. I wonder if Cohen will give Theo Epstein an ownership %. It's time to move away from Sandy and any other people that have been with the organization for an extended period of time. I expect he's going to try to get some guys from the Dodgers' and Giants' front offices. 

I was going to bring up this article as well. I really am not sure what Sandy's role is at this point.

Sandy is only there to hold Cohen's hand for a while.  There is no reason to give Epstein an ownership share, just pay him well.  But all of this still means that we had better not expect the playoffs next year, either.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.