Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Mets signed FA Michael Wacha, pending a physical.  He's had an up and down career, but last year he was not very good.  Not much excitement from this move.

Porcello to the Mets on a one-year deal pending a physical.  If they get last year's Porcello it's a disaster.  If they get 2018 Porcello, it means potentially the best rotation in the division.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that his pattern of pitching well every other year holds.

Seems like they must be intending to dump some salary somehow.

ml1 said:

Porcello to the Mets on a one-year deal pending a physical.  If they get last year's Porcello it's a disaster.  If they get 2018 Porcello, it means potentially the best rotation in the division.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that his pattern of pitching well every other year holds.

Exactly the problem.  As a Sox fan I can tell you that I loved the guy in 2018 and cringed when he took the mound last year.  The potent Sox lineup bailed him out often enough last year--he cannot count on that with the Mets.  OTOH, he has had bad years followed by good years before, so there is hope he can bounce back.  He should be good for 30 starts and 175 innings, and while he is not as good as Wheeler he will fill a starting slot for the Mets.

The Mets seemed to have suddenly saved a bunch of money on Cespedes.  Settling 2019 at half price, and a discount for 2020 as well.  I don't know how insurance affects the overall savings, but that's still progress.

Time lost to bone spur operation would have been covered by insurance, time lost due to accident on his farm would not.  Thus, this shows good faith on the part of YC.

tomcat said:

Time lost to bone spur operation would have been covered by insurance, time lost due to accident on his farm would not.  Thus, this shows good faith on the part of YC.

Well, it also could show that he realized that the Mets could have tried to void his contract entirely for injuring himself during non-baseball activities.  The union would have fought it tooth and nail, but there was a reasonable chance they would lose.  This reduction is a reasonable settlement for both the Mets and Cespedes, but I would not say it shows particularly good faith on the part of Cespedes.

I wonder what kind of baseball shape he is in given a two year layoff.

I think the Mets were planning on suing him. I wonder if Brodie loses some of his commission since he was Cespedes' agent at the time of the deal. 

Mets just announced they signed Betances for one year 

If Betances is over his various injuries, wow, this dude can throw. Familia for the 7th, Diaz for the 8th and Betances for the 9th. Pretty formidable.

Don't let Familia pitch the 7th.  If you do, you won't need Diaz or betances.

Good signing by Brodie.  Betances is a New Yorker through and through and he loves being here.  He will being passion and fire to the clubhouse.  His second injury of last year was a partially torn Achilles tendon suffered when he jumped off the mound in joy over a strikeout in his first game back from a shoulder injury.  A freak injury.  His shoulder was healed last year so he should start the year healthy.  If they can figure out what was wrong with Diaz last year they will have a good one-two punch in the pen. 

Familia should be banished from the stadium.  He was at 1.7 WHIP last year, with over 9 hits per inning (hits x 9/Innings Pitched) and 42 walks in 66 innings.  Just terrible for a reliever.

Wouldn't Lugo and Wilson get the 7th? They also have Wacha or whichever starter gets moved to the bullpen. 

A couple of fun Mets highlights mixed in here, including two that show what a great athlete Bartolo Colon is.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1212439618815234048

In light of the Houston sign-stealing report, should the Mets fire Carlos Beltran?

Discuss. 

Soul_29 said:

In light of the Houston sign-stealing report, should the Mets fire Carlos Beltran?

Discuss. 

no. Just no. 

ml1 said:

Soul_29 said:

Discuss. 

no. Just no. 

Beltran could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and wouldn’t lose your support.  cheese

No.  But he should own up to it right now.  The report was interesting because everything hinged on that letter from MLB.  Once the letter was delivered management was responsible.  

Train_of_Thought said:

ml1 said:

Soul_29 said:

Discuss. 

no. Just no. 

Beltran could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and wouldn’t lose your support. 
cheese

I kid with ml1, of course. That said, and I expect him to attach the following to his knowing that I've never been the biggest Beltran fan while I insist this is an objective opinion -- I don't see HOW the Mets can not fire this guy. He is said to have been more or less the ringleader among the players on this scheme. I understand that players are given second chances for things that are arguably worse than this, but to willingly have your MANAGER be a key player in a cheating scandal, without dispute...that's a tough sell. IMHO.

Train_of_Thought said:

I kid with ml1, of course. That said, and I expect him to attach the following to his knowing that I've never been the biggest Beltran fan while I insist this is an objective opinion -- I don't see HOW the Mets can not fire this guy. He is said to have been more or less the ringleader among the players on this scheme. I understand that players are given second chances for things that are arguably worse than this, but to willingly have your MANAGER be a key player in a cheating scandal, without dispute...that's a tough sell. IMHO.

but why should the Mets be penalized for something he did that was encouraged by Astros management? There are other penalties like fines that would only hurt Beltran and not the team

How are the Mets penalized by taking a morally positive position? Losing a manager who's never managed a game and who now has a cheating stigma attached to him forever? I think the Mets will look better for parting ways than not, and there have to be other candidates who can hopefully do a good and honorable job. The Sox statement re Cora heaped huge praise on him, but acknowledged that there's just no practical way to go forward given things. I think the same of the Mets and Beltran. A great all-time Met, represented the uniform proudly, but things going forward are now just different. My three cents.

Whether it is fair or not is up to the individual's opinion.

If the Mets want to be known as a clean and classy team, he has to go. 

This is going to be hanging over his head for his entire career. It's clear that a lot of players are upset with what the Astros and Red Sox did. I would think it would be difficult for him to gain the respect of the players and he must not have been forthright with BVW during the interview process. They're probably looking into how they can get out of not paying him. 

Re fairness, Bob Nightengale asks, “If you were managerial candidates for the Red Sox’s and Mets’ openings that went to Cora and Carlos Beltran, who was on that 2017 Astros team and took part in the cheating, how can you not feel like were robbed of a job?”

And the Red Sox fired John Farrell as manager after they lost to the Astros in 2017. He might not have lost his job if they made it further. 

DaveSchmidt said:

Re fairness, Bob Nightengale asks, “If you were managerial candidates for the Red Sox’s and Mets’ openings that went to Cora and Carlos Beltran, who was on that 2017 Astros team and took part in the cheating, how can you not feel like were robbed of a job?”

that's quite a stretch. 

Well, at the very least, Beltran has a lot of explaining to do and probably would need to do it in front of the media after he tells ownership everything he knows. In any case, it's serious stuff. Should MLB rescind the Astros championship?

NotoriousEAM said:

Well, at the very least, Beltran has a lot of explaining to do and probably would need to do it in front of the media after he tells ownership everything he knows. In any case, it's serious stuff. Should MLB rescind the Astros championship?

I consider this the same way I do the steroids era.  I cannot believe that only Alex Cora's teams were doing something like this.  MLB should have cracked down on this when there were whispers of sign stealing instead of waiting for Mike Fiers to make it public.  But they didn't really make enforcement a priority.  And once it became known, the Astros had to pay a harsh penalty.  But if they're going to fire Carlos Beltran for something he did as a player, MLB better be prepared to fire a whole bunch of guys in the future when those stories get out.  The Mets could fire Beltran, go to their second choice Eduardo Perez and find out his team was stealing signs.  The hammer came down on the Astros, Hinch and Cora (who was likely doing the same thing with the Sox, which is the biggest reason he was fired), and now MLB needs to make sure to police this going forward and make sure everyone knows the penalties for getting caught will be severe.

At least we get 3 more years of Keith Hernandez doing the games. 

I hope the Beltran burner account story floating around proves untrue. That would be sad.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.