Maplewood could ban non-organic cosmetic lawn chemicals

tourn said:

tourn said:

See http://www.northjersey.com/towns/law-would-restrict-pesticide-use-on-fields-1.1656549?page=all . Potential pesticide ban on kids playing fields. Call your legislator to support the ban. All the comments by various city officials in the article, many of which are erroneous, prove that there is a false assumption that pesticides are somehow safe. One official even thought that if they bought the chemicals at Home Depot, they do not need a license to apply them to town property. Totally false! Any town employee applying pesticides needs to have the proper license.

It's a "bumpy" road, but if we try hard we can pass these common sense restrictions on toxic chemical pesticides!

When you say "we" you are referring to your other screen names, yes?

Trump supports a ban on the cosmetic use of toxic lawn chemicals! Not really, but he should!

Nitrate levels in streams is on the rise. The overuse of nitrate lawn fertilizer which has increased over the past 20 years is impacting streams, many of which are drinking water sources in NJ. The drought is compounding the problem. Try not to over fertilize your lawn and use a mulching mower or ask your landscaper to use a mulching mower which allows grass clippings to feed the lawn and improve the soil. Even leaves can be mulched in place with a good mower.

Our own bodies produce nitrites and nitrates, which have been found to help decrease blood pressure. Nitrosamines, which are produced from high heat cooking are the carcinogen you're likely thinking about.

dave said:

Our own bodies produce nitrites and nitrates, which have been found to help decrease blood pressure. Nitrosamines, which are produced from high heat cooking are the carcinogen you're likely thinking about.

Surely you know, then, that above a certain level, nitrites and nitrates are toxic.

Above a certain level, dihydrogen monoxide is deadly, too.

Above 10 milligrams per liter, nitrate can cause "blue baby" syndrome because it blocks the oxygen carrying capacity of haemoglobin and babies are most susceptible. High nitrate water should not be used in formulas, etc. Nitrate levels are especially high this year with a lack of rainfall to dilute the pollution, approaching maximum standards in some streams.

everything is toxic at some level. poisons have nothing to do with their content and everything to do with amount.

ridski said:

tourn is a pitbull against anyone who cares for their yard I picture her/his lawn to resemble a used car lot

tourn said:

Above 10 milligrams per liter, nitrate can cause "blue baby" syndrome because it blocks the oxygen carrying capacity of haemoglobin and babies are most susceptible. High nitrate water should not be used in formulas, etc. Nitrate levels are especially high this year with a lack of rainfall to dilute the pollution, approaching maximum standards in some streams.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1247562/

Skip to the conclusion if you don't have time.

Woot said:

tourn is a pitbull against anyone who cares for their yard I picture her/his lawn to resemble a used car lot

More like he/she has a subterranean view of his/her parents' lawn.

ridski said:

I once ingested 52 hot dogs in about five minutes. Damned Joey Chestnutt.

The EPA limit for nitrate in drinking water is 10 mg/l and 5 mg/l triggers increased sampling. Take it or leave it. I don't have much to say if you think risking your babies life or health is worth that perfect lawn.

I have a top of the line water filtration system. That's what I call high quality H2O.

The EPA is under attack. But local governments can do what's right for the Environment and the public. Now is the time to ban the cosmetic use of lawn chemicals! Do it, Maplewood!

This is the downside to not having artificial turf fields. All the chemicals required to maintain grass fields to our usage requirements have to run off somewhere...All the NIMBY's dismissed this argument 10 years ago when installing turf was an issue.

Let's see who will be the first one to quote some article somewhere with NO scientific data stating that turf causes cancer...You know you want to.

See http://www.nj.gov/dep/dwq/pdf/... very end concerning vegetation management. Over use of herbicides is a real concern. Roundup may be a carcinogen. Spraying it along curblines pollutes streams and drinking water. 

Woot said:

I am trying and failing to imagine a lawn so beautiful that it would justify exposing our kids to toxic chemicals.

March for the Environment in Maplewood this weekend. Don't like Trump environmental rollbacks? March for the Environment and protest Trump this weekend! See https://peoplesclimate.org/?source=org-signup&referrer=group-dailykos-actions#sign-up and find a local March. Take Action! Don't let the Trump Administration roll back 30 years of environmental progress!

Common Maplewood! While Trump's appointees are trying to destroy environmental protections, you could be protecting your kids, your drinking water and your environment by banning the use of toxic lawn chemicals for cosmetic purposes! If all of Canada can do it, so can you!! 

They can ban what they like.  I'll still use them until the government bans them. 

Happy day.  I sprayed the weeds in the lawn then I used my blower to  blow the grass off the driveway and walks.

I mowed my weed patches and used my blower, too.

Roundup works really well on  those annoying weeds between the patio bricks.

Spritz, spritz.....  Hasta la vista, weeds......

Will be doing mine this weekend.  Beats scraping the hell out of my fingertips.  

Do you use the deluxe battery-operated sprayer, or just the hand pump?

I tried the battery version last year, but it was clunky, so I'm back to the regular spray bottle this year, and my patio looks just as awesome.

I actually don't use Round Up.  No clue what my landscaper uses, but I ain't got no weeds.  That much I know.  Nothing like coming home after a hard days' work to a beautifully landscaped property and emerald green lawn.   God Bless America.

Roundup rules. Vaporized some PI. Impressively effective.

I wonder if there is PI where tourn lives, which at best is 1000 miles from M-Dub. No, I'm not joking. Slacktivist astroturfing spambot extraordinaire.

Robert_Casotto said:

I actually don't use Round Up.  No clue what my landscaper uses, but I ain't got no weeds.  That much I know.  Nothing like coming home after a hard days' work to a beautifully landscaped property and emerald green lawn.   God Bless America.

That, karma and cancer.  I wouldn't play those odds.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Help Wanted

Lessons/Instruction

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!