Inconsequential Chat

Here's one voice-over read I'd have to be very careful with.

smile 

That puppy: I don't know whether to click 'like' or decry the food waste and pet-torture! 

The difference a comma makes...

I remember learning to write in cursive with a pen dipped in ink, and later moving on to using a fountain pen.  We were only allowed to use a ball-point much later in our schooling.

Another vote for the importance of commas!

A guaranteed ice-breaker at parties...

marksierra said:

Is that the one with the 2 sopranos singing/miaowing the duet? smile

joanne said:

marksierra said:

Is that the one with the 2 sopranos singing/miaowing the duet?
smile

No.

This the one you're referring to.  (Kiri Te Kanawa & Norma Burrows | Rossini's Cat Duet)

Ha!  I just counted the number of tabs I have open at the moment - 27!

(Edited to add ... that's on my work computer.)

Very excellent post!! smile

joanne said:

Very excellent post!!
smile

Also very clever, I thought.

I was doing some research on the expression 'Throw another shrimp on the barbie' for a new friend on social media when I came upon a compilation of commercials created by one of Australia's then-leading advertising agencies, MO JO.

Most of the ads feature a sung jingle of sorts but, I suppose, what differentiates them from other ads at the time is the preponderance of the Aussie accent.

Here, for your delectation and pleasure are 86 Aussie ads:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLETzoP04ODG7K1rr1PQddelmy6GVxdddH

And, from the series, allow me to say G'day to you:

https://youtu.be/aXHx74zL5OY

From the just-concluded Edinburgh Fringe Festival, these are Channel Dave's nominations for the ten funniest jokes of the festival:

1. I keep randomly shouting out “Broccoli” and “Cauliflower”. I think I might have Florets. – Olaf Falafel

2. Someone stole my antidepressants. Whoever they are, I hope they’re happy. – Richard Stott

3. What’s driving Brexit? From here it looks like it’s probably the Duke of Edinburgh. – Milton Jones

4. A cowboy asked me if I could help him round up 18 cows. I said, “Yes, of course. That’s 20 cows.” – Jake Lambert

5. A thesaurus is great. There’s no other word for it. – Ross Smith

6. Sleep is my favourite thing in the world. It’s the reason I get up in the morning. – Ross Smith

7. I accidentally booked myself on to an escapology course; I’m really struggling to get out of it. – Adele Cliff

8. After learning six hours of basic semaphore, I was flagging. – Richard Pulsford

9. To be or not to be a horse rider, that is Equestrian. – Mark Simmons

10. I’ve got an Eton-themed advent calendar, where all the doors are opened for me by my dad’s contacts. – Ivo Graham

Read more: 

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2019/aug/19/olaf-falafel-edinburgh-funniest-joke-award

Sign in a cafe window near the Royal Melbourne Hospital.

I can quite easily identify with the thought expressed.

My 'cat lady' coffee mug (remembered that Awful Christmas Presents thread a few years back?) developed two cracks this week so I had to throw it out. Felt guilty doing so. LOL 

joanne said:

My 'cat lady' coffee mug (remembered that Awful Christmas Presents thread a few years back?) developed two cracks this week so I had to throw it out. Felt guilty doing so.
LOL

You could have - maybe - put some glue across and along the cracks and, if you weren't 100% sure it wouldn't leak, put it on a shelf as a keepsake.  (Or, at least, taken a photo, so you had something to remember it by.)

marksierra said:

joanne said:

My 'cat lady' coffee mug (remembered that Awful Christmas Presents thread a few years back?) developed two cracks this week so I had to throw it out. Felt guilty doing so.
LOL

You could have - maybe - put some glue across and along the cracks and, if you weren't 100% sure it wouldn't leak, put it on a shelf as a keepsake.  (Or, at least, taken a photo, so you had something to remember it by.)

cheese not that fond of it! 

Always borrow money from pessimists - they don't expect it back.

Not strictly correct.

If you befriend your local magpies, they're less likely to swoop at you during the nesting season.

I (re-) learned to use one of these at a previous job a few years ago.

Since then, it's been my favourite manual writing tool.

I found this really interesting.

A land of drought and flooding rains.
119 years of Australian rainfall.
Poster by the (Australian) Bureau of Meteorology
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/history/rainfall/

(You can get a more-readable download - in .pdf format - from the website)

The very dry years are more numerous than I expected. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Lessons/Instruction

Advertisement

Advertise here!