A Starbucks on the post office site?

Comes to mind the old pay phones which rarely exist anymore. They were required to bring in $35.00 a month or they were pulled by ATT.. I will refrain from my usual criticism of Starbucks Coffee and just say that apparently that

site was not generating enough to rationalize it's existence. It has been noted by those who supported it that it was there despite a number of other coffee outlets in the area.

author said:

Comes to mind the old pay phones which rarely exist anymore. They were required to bring in $35.00 a month or they were pulled by ATT.. I will refrain from my usual criticism of Starbucks Coffee and just say that apparently that

site was not generating enough to rationalize it's existence. It has been noted by those who supported it that it was there despite a number of other coffee outlets in the area.

For what it's worth, it's on the corner of Main and Millburn, where the construction is narrowing the roads, and apparently removing parking. The Dunkin Donuts a half block down is adjacent to a parking lot. For all we know, it was decided that there would be less customer traffic at the store post-construction. Maybe they'll just relocate, because it's hard to imagine Millburn as a "no Starbucks" town (no offense intended).

Some people think that the opening of a Starbucks can have a negative affect on an area. So it would stand to reason that the closing (or relocation) of one would have a positive effect.

How will Starbucks leaving improve the lives of anyone in that area? My guess is, not at all.

nohero said:

author said:

For what it's worth, it's on the corner of Main and Millburn, where the construction is narrowing the roads, and apparently removing parking. The Dunkin Donuts a half block down is adjacent to a parking lot. For all we know, it was decided that there would be less customer traffic at the store post-construction. Maybe they'll just relocate, because it's hard to imagine Millburn as a "no Starbucks" town (no offense intended).

Drove through that construction the other day and it truly is maddening. I see where some areas of the sidewalks are

doubling in width and lanes of traffic are being eliminated.. Months of that type of activity would put the kibosh on

any kind of business that at least partially depends on in and out commerce

God forbid that we make a town pedestrian-friendly.

author said:

Drove through that construction the other day and it truly is maddening. I see where some areas of the sidewalks are

The width of the sidewalk is misleading. Today I saw that some parking on the "sidewalk" was restored so I looked at the plans. They are instituting flexible parking. Most of the time cars will be able to park on the "sidewalk" and there will be movable poles in place to separate the parking area from the pedestrian area. But if they want to (for events or sidewalk cafes) they can move the poles and temporarily get rid of the parking. There will be two travel lanes in that area.

tjohn said:

author said:

Is that in the Bible?

I believe there is some reference to a pedestrian friendly waterway in the Bible.

author said:

tjohn said:

author said:

Is that in the Bible?

alias said:

I believe there is some reference to a pedestrian friendly waterway in the Bible.
author said:

tjohn said:

author said:

Is that in the Bible?

Maybe we will see Moses directing traffic

No one directs traffic around here, they just close lanes and stand there expecting you to figure out how to not get hit.

Bloody libertarian cops.

Looks like folks lost interest in this issue. I believe MPL has a long standing ordinance that, to the effect, bans national chains from opening retail operations in the village, which is why there's never been one.

CBACGuy said:

Looks like folks lost interest in this issue. I believe MPL has a long standing ordinance that, to the effect, bans national chains from opening retail operations in the village, which is why there's never been one.

There is no ordinance against chain stores, national or otherwise.

CBACGuy said:

I heard that for years but don't know how true it is. It is has been pointed out that the Strawberry Fields is

part of a chain. The ice cream store at the far end of the Village is part of a chain. Bit of a stretch but

Bank of America has many branches

My issue is that first of all that building , a luxury apartment house comprised of a building containing apartments

costing in the 3,000 dollar a months rental does nothing for the Seniors in town who are forced to leave the

town that they have called home for 30 years and more.

Let's not talk about subsidized housing.............the Township allowed the builder to walk away from his responsibility

with a one shot payment

Quality stores we were promised..............a Bank, a dry cleaner, another restaurant, a Starbucks.........

quality in what world.?

A portion of Rickalton Square was given a way for a pittance

The old Post Office and land sold for not much more than a home on Wyoming would bring.

Now the builder wants to place additional dumpsters behind the building.........costing 3 more precious parking spaces

Also the builder wants to place a grease trap outside also......previously it was supposed to be in the parking garage

Now all parking spaces in the surrounding area will be reduced in size to allow for more spaces in less room

Great idea if every one drove motor scooters

Has anyone in power had any training in Urban Renewal Planning.............the township just paid

something like $400,000 for an old church near the De Hart Center . building on the other side of Springfield Ave

The belief was that the Y would rent the rec department building and Seniors would be accommodated in the old

church. Only trouble is the Y has no interest in renting anything more. Another King's folly! I understand now that

the Township owns 2 building withing a few hundred feet from each other, the old church will accommodate

Pilate lessons...............for a $400,000 price tag. And also the previous occupants of the church stripped quite a bit

of the plumbing and another building necessities . No idea the cost to rehab the bulding

After a while you just become numb to this nonsense

There is no such no-chain ordinance.

ctrzaska said:

I think it was an urban legend

Sub-Urban legend?

author said:

ctrzaska said:

alias said:

Sub-Urban legend?
author said:

ctrzaska said:

You can't buy a chain in the Village anyway. I lust for a weed whacker

alias said:

Sub-Urban legend?
author said:

ctrzaska said:

You rang?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!