Wordle daily word puzzle

When the asked someone from NYT - they couldn't say for sure if it would be behind a pay wall or not.  I'm guessing it will remain free.

JamieSpace jumble will remain free - until someone offers me 1 million.  grin  I did lousy today. 

JamieSpace Jumble Results

Word 1 - Solved in 4 tries in: 0 minutes 23 seconds
Word 2 - Missed in: 1 minutes 10 seconds
Word 3 - Solved in 5 tries in: 1 minutes 50 seconds
Word 4 - Solved in 5 tries in: 1 minutes 37 seconds
Word 5 - Missed in: 1 minutes 15 seconds

Completed today's jumble in: 6 minutes 15 seconds

Try it out! https://jamiespace.com/jumble.php

I wonder how many people share their wordle results when they missed the word?

For the Jumble, I like to be 5 for 5 in the 3 minute range.  5th word was tricky.

Wordle is an odd phenomenon.  For me it comes down to luck for the most part, all depends on how good your opening word is.  So for those bragging that they got the word in 2 - probably had a good opening word.


I don't agree that Wordle comes down to luck for the most part. Yes, there is some luck involved but I believe there is skill about knowing how generally words are constructed (the vowel/consonant relationship for example) and that counts more than luck. 


wendy said:

I don't agree that Wordle comes down to luck for the most part. Yes, there is some luck involved but I believe there is skill about knowing how generally words are constructed (the vowel/consonant relationship for example) and that counts more than luck. 

eh -  I would show you what I mean with my guesses today, but don't want to spoil it for anyone - will post tomorrow.


Here's an example - when you get this, there's not a lot of skill for the subsequent guesses I can think of a dozen possibilities.  I like my version where the element of speed is worth bragging.  grin.


I don't suggest you do spoilers at all; some don't do the game until a few days later. I'm not doubting you; please re-read what I wrote about luck versus skill/knowledge of the language. In any event I enjoy the game as do others and like it better than most jumble games. Each to her own yes? 


Absolutely- I'm just interested in the psychology behind it's appeal.  Overall, I think the concept is super easy and fun.  The ability to get the word in 2 or 3 depends a lot on your initial guess.  

I'm just not getting the need to share the results.  Is there something appealing in showing the progression to solve it?   Or just that you solved it.  Wordle did have a nice role in saving someone:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/feb/11/saved-the-wordle-clue-that-helped-rescue-80-year-old-woman-from-hostage-ordeal

One plus with my version is that there's no way of figuring out tomorrow's words. 

Here's a few older puzzles I did randomly - I'm just saying for me to get these in fewer tries than I did would have been a pure guess.  Not skill.  (Of course there was amazing skill at solving them when I did)


I suggest you delete your above earlier results. As I said people do the archive and it's not fun seeing words that they may not do. I'll check out the savior stuff perhaps over the weekend. I frankly don't give a crap about the time or the number of tries. Getting it in 6 is fine with me. And I happen to be a trial lawyer so take that for all its worth. 


jamie said:

 I did lousy today. 

JamieSpace Jumble Results

Word 1 - Solved in 4 tries in: 0 minutes 23 seconds
Word 2 - Missed in: 1 minutes 10 seconds
Word 3 - Solved in 5 tries in: 1 minutes 50 seconds
Word 4 - Solved in 5 tries in: 1 minutes 37 seconds
Word 5 - Missed in: 1 minutes 15 seconds

Completed today's jumble in: 6 minutes 15 seconds

Don't put yourself down. You did better than me

JamieSpace Jumble Results

Word 1 - Solved in 3 tries in: 1 minutes 10 seconds
Word 2 - Missed in: 4 minutes 18 seconds
Word 3 - Solved in 3 tries in: 1 minutes 24 seconds
Word 4 - Solved in 4 tries in: 1 minutes 20 seconds
Word 5 - Solved in 2 tries in: 0 minutes 41 seconds

Completed today's jumble in: 8 minutes 53 seconds

Try it out! https://jamiespace.com/jumble.php


Just tried the first word today. It was fun. Not sure I'll continue but well-designed.


For Wordle, getting it on the first try is obviously pure luck and, usually, I think the same (or nearly so) is true for the second try because it probably means you were lucky with your first word and got most of the info there OR were lucky on the second.  Third and beyond is where skill and strategy kick in as far as I'm concerned.


sac said:

For Wordle, getting it on the first try is obviously pure luck and, usually, I think the same (or nearly so) is true for the second try because it probably means you were lucky with your first word and got most of the info there OR were lucky on the second.  Third and beyond is where skill and strategy kick in as far as I'm concerned.

agreed on all points


if you  just type in LOUSE for the 1st word and TRAIN for the 2nd, that gives you STRNL AEIOU and often gives you enough letters to guess better


this is like the old game show Lingo, i found an app that lets you guess puzzles all day


jmitw said:

if you  just type in LOUSE for the 1st word and TRAIN for the 2nd, that gives you STRNL AEIOU and often gives you enough letters to guess better

I'd only use the second word if I didn't get enough to work from on the first move.
Otherwise, it's the loss of a move.

Incidentally, I'd also swap the words, using TRAIN as the first.  Scrabble players would recognise N as being in more common usage than S.


drummerboy said:

actually, according to this, S is more common in 5 letter words.

https://towardsdatascience.com/a-frequency-analysis-on-wordle-9c5778283363

Is that including plurals? Prob also have to consider whether it's likely a Wordle word would be a plural.


zucca said:

drummerboy said:

actually, according to this, S is more common in 5 letter words.

https://towardsdatascience.com/a-frequency-analysis-on-wordle-9c5778283363

Is that including plurals? Prob also have to consider whether it's likely a Wordle word would be a plural.

good question. dunno.


failed my first wordle today. I had 4 letters in position after 2 turns and couldn't get the 5th.

arghhhhh


I got it on the 6th attempt as it was a word type that could have fit multiple letters into one of the slots and been a word. I got 4-out-of-5 letters in the right spots by the third line. It took all 4 remaining chances for me to get the correct missing letter.


today was a day for guessing among alternatives.


ml1 said:

today was a day for guessing among alternatives.

guessing badly for me.


drummerboy said:

failed my first wordle today. I had 4 letters in position after 2 turns and couldn't get the 5th.

arghhhhh

me also, had three cracks at it.  Picked the wrong words.



oots said:

drummerboy said:

failed my first wordle today. I had 4 letters in position after 2 turns and couldn't get the 5th.

arghhhhh

me also, had three cracks at it.  Picked the wrong words.

Took me five. 


For those of you who are guessing, is it because you are playing in "hard mode"?  If not, then playing a word you know is wrong but that has 4-5 letters not yet played will often reveal the answer.  (I often PLAY hard mode, but I don't have that setting because sometimes it is counterproductive if the only option (after the first word or two) is to guess. 


I considered that, but couldn't think of a word with all the consonants that could have fit there (well, not before I took a couple lines up with my early guesses anyway).


marksierra said:

jmitw said:

if you  just type in LOUSE for the 1st word and TRAIN for the 2nd, that gives you STRNL AEIOU and often gives you enough letters to guess better

I'd only use the second word if I didn't get enough to work from on the first move.
Otherwise, it's the loss of a move.

Incidentally, I'd also swap the words, using TRAIN as the first.  Scrabble players would recognise N as being in more common usage than S.

I don't start with any of those words, but I'd think HOUSE would be a good choice as well to determine if the word has CH, SH, TH, WH.  


ml1 said:

marksierra said:

jmitw said:

if you  just type in LOUSE for the 1st word and TRAIN for the 2nd, that gives you STRNL AEIOU and often gives you enough letters to guess better

I'd only use the second word if I didn't get enough to work from on the first move.
Otherwise, it's the loss of a move.

Incidentally, I'd also swap the words, using TRAIN as the first.  Scrabble players would recognise N as being in more common usage than S.

I don't start with any of those words, but I'd think HOUSE would be a good choice as well to determine if the word has CH, SH, TH, WH.  

Perhaps but that would depend on where the actual letters wind up after you input that first word HOUSE. Me, I like TRAIN. If there are no As, I's or those popular consonants I start fiddling around and generally get it in 4 except when I succumb to word detector help. grin


wendy said:

Just tried the first word today. It was fun. Not sure I'll continue but well-designed.

Looks like   the first word   is another word game.  Where to find, please?


Another day of wrong guesses  LOL



took me six today

I wonder if the Times has changed the algorithm for picking the next word to pick harder ones.


In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Real Estate Listings

Advertisement

Advertise here!