What series should I watch next?

unicorn33 said:

Anyone watched The Son (on AMC, stars Pierce Brosnan)? I'm about 3/4 through it. Interesting series, and it just got renewed for a second season.

I'm looking for my next show. What's The Son about? (I like Pierce Brosnan.) The only problem with AMC is the commercials. 

{Starring Pierce Brosnan as charismatic Texas rancher Eli McCullough, "The Son" is a sweeping family saga based on Philipp Meyer's same-title best-seller. Ten hourlong episodes trace the McCullough heritage across 150 years and three generations, focusing on Eli's transformation from hard-working family man to paranoid, calculating killer.}

The series moves back and forth between 1849 and 1915, showing what happened to Eli McCullough as a child (captured by Indians) and what he eventually became as family patriarch. Brosnan is very good in the role (and looks great). I like the fact that neither settlers nor Indians are portrayed as simply good or bad; both are capable of brutality. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

unicorn33 said:

Anyone watched The Son (on AMC, stars Pierce Brosnan)? I'm about 3/4 through it. Interesting series, and it just got renewed for a second season.

I'm looking for my next show. What's The Son about? (I like Pierce Brosnan.) The only problem with AMC is the commercials. 

Sounds like it's based on an Eric Jonrosh novel.

Here's the trailer: 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

unicorn33 said:

The novel was great   

unicorn33 said:

{Starring Pierce Brosnan as charismatic Texas rancher Eli McCullough, "The Son" is a sweeping family saga based on Philipp Meyer's same-title best-seller. Ten hourlong episodes trace the McCullough heritage across 150 years and three generations, focusing on Eli's transformation from hard-working family man to paranoid, calculating killer.}

The series moves back and forth between 1849 and 1915, showing what happened to Eli McCullough as a child (captured by Indians) and what he eventually became as family patriarch. Brosnan is very good in the role (and looks great). I like the fact that neither settlers nor Indians are portrayed as simply good or bad; both are capable of brutality. 
The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

unicorn33 said:

@jeffl -- I haven't read the book. If you watch the series, I'd be curious to know how they compare.

I started watching "Sneaky Pete" last night. Maybe it's me but all these shows seem to have a certain sameness at this point. It's not bad but it's more of the same. 

The Son isn't available yet, is it?  All I see are the one minute previews...or am I doing something wrong?

unicorn33 said:

@jeffl -- I haven't read the book. If you watch the series, I'd be curious to know how they compare.

I had recorded it off the AMC network. I'm not sure where it's available now. Maybe AMC on demand?

jeffl said:

The Son isn't available yet, is it?  All I see are the one minute previews...or am I doing something wrong?

unicorn33 said:

I LMAO at Difficult People.   Mainly because of Andrea Martin.

Andrea Martin's role as the aunt in My Big Fat Greek Wedding is one of my favorite things.

Has anyone mentioned River yet?   I'm enjoying it.

Just watched Season I of Better Things on Amazon. Was soooo good! 

Also watched Atypical, on Netflix, about a family with an autistic 18 year-old. Very nice and engaging. One short season. With Jennifer Jason Leigh, Michael Rappaport, etc. 

ETA this from the NYT today: 

Pamela Adlon in “Better Things.”

Pamela Adlon in “Better Things.” Beth Dubber/FX

I Want a Grown-Up Comedy
Better Things
When to watch: 
Thursday at 10 p.m., on FX.
Save it to your Watchlist.
Season 2 of this semi-autobiographical show from the actress and writer Pamela Adlon is head and shoulders better than Season 1 — and Season 1 was pretty good. This season, however, is fantastic: more comfortable in its style and pacing, and more direct in its writing and story choices.
Adlon, who directed every episode this season, stars as Sam, a working actress and single mother to three daughters. The show can be cacophonous, with everyone talking and sometimes shouting or screaming at once, and horns honking or music blaring or someone banging on the door. But the common chaos is no match for Adlon’s commanding performance. There’s a weary practicality to Sam, and at this point she’s more comfortable when people are taking from her than she is when people are trying to give her anything back.
Consider stockpiling episodes on your DVR, as “Better Things” works even better in multi-episode blocks. Don’t worry about continuity too much, though. Episode 2 next week has one of the best monologues of the year; Episode 6 is practically perfect; and Episode 7 (almost) convinced me to replace the watch I’ve been wearing for 17 years. If you like “Louie” or “Parenthood” or talky-talky shows about smart people, try this; no prior knowledge required.

If you want to watch pure trash - Banshee!   Gratuitous violence, sex, and nudity.  I can't stop watching it.  

cramer said:

@joanne - I've been watching Rake. We only get three seasons. It's one of the best shows that I've seen for a while.

I just binge watched this show and I loved it. I was hesitant because Netflix only had like 2.5 star rating and usually it's accurate prediction for me, but I took a chance and omg. So hilarious. 

Loved the two episodes of The Deuce on HBO.    So amazing to see NY City in the 70's again.

Season 2 of One Mississippi on Hulu is out and its a don't miss...as long as you love Tig Notaro as I do.

I watch Difficult People even though I have no affection for the two lead characters simply because I love the entire supporting cast.

Bojack Horseman RULES my world too.

Manhunt. It's the story about how they caught the Unabomber on Netflix. It's very intense. 

Jerry Seinfeld has a new comedy routine on Netflix. It's not a series but I thought it was typical Seinfeld funny.

galileo said:

Jerry Seinfeld has a new comedy routine on Netflix. It's not a series but I thought it was typical Seinfeld funny.

I'll have to check it out. I assume you have seen all the seasons/episodes of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. Some of those are incredible. A few that come to mind is the two part one with Louie CK, the one with Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks and tons more that I have no time to write about. All about 20 or so minutes.

ElizMcCord said:

cramer said:

@joanne - I've been watching Rake. We only get three seasons. It's one of the best shows that I've seen for a while.

I just binge watched this show and I loved it. I was hesitant because Netflix only had like 2.5 star rating and usually it's accurate prediction for me, but I took a chance and omg. So hilarious. 

Did you watch the Australian version or the US version?  I watched the Australian version. The US version didn't get great reviews.

I started watching Claws on TNT. It's pretty trashy, but I'll watch anything with Nicey Dash.  

Some other dramedy shows I've enjoyed this year are Younger (TV Land), Girlfriends Guide to Divorce (Bravo) and Odd Mom Out (Bravo). All pretty light fare, but enjoyable after a day of facing the real world. 

cramer said:

ElizMcCord said:

cramer said:

Did you watch the Australian version or the US version?  I watched the Australian version. The US version didn't get great reviews.

Ehhh no idea. How to tell? The actors were Australian. There's were a few American actor appearances like Toni Collette. 

Hahaha said:

Some other dramedy shows I've enjoyed this year are Younger (TV Land), Girlfriends Guide to Divorce (Bravo) and Odd Mom Out (Bravo). All pretty light fare, but enjoyable after a day of facing the real world. 

Is there a new season of GGTD? I liked Seasons 1 and 2. It's a silly Sex and The City sortof thing with older married, separated and divorced women in LA. But I loved Lisa Edelstein as Dr. Lisa Cuddy on House and love her in this.  It's a sexy show with beautiful women in their 40s. 

Ehhh no idea. How to tell? The actors were Australian. There's were a few American actor appearances like Toni Collette. 

By the way, Toni Collette was born, raised, and still lives in Australia. She is 100% Aussie.

Richard Roxburgh was Cleaver Greene in the Australian Rake. 

foxychica said:

By the way, Toni Collette was born, raised, and still lives in Australia. She is 100% Aussie.

Really? Wow. Had no idea. Good to know. 

cramer said:

Richard Roxburgh was Cleaver Greene in the Australian Rake. 

This is the one I watched. Oh how I love Cleaver Greene. His courtroom antics reminded me of James Spader in Boston Legal. You just don't know what will come out of his mouth. 

The Five on Netflix via British TV.  Written by NJ Writer Harlan Coben.  

Just wish it was set as most of his novels in NJ because I love how he incorporates spots I know on Northfield Ave. and in West Orange into his stories!

Best Regards,

Ron Carter

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.