What series should I watch next?

Leaving Las Vegas is in my top 20 films of all time.

Ever seen The Lost Weekend (1945)?  Very good, not dated at all.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt00...

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:
I guess I like substance abuse movies. Some favorites:

Drunks (1995) hard to find, Richard Lewis's greatest achievement. Great cast of cameos. Seek it out. 

Leaving Las Vegas (Nic Cage and our own Elizabeth Shue:  tour-de-force in every way) 

Trainspsotting (1996) 

Days of Wine and Roses: (1962) Dir: Blake Edwards,  Jack Lemmon  Stunning 

White Girl  (2016) Harrowing realism. Loved this film. Not sure it's avail anywhere but it's bloody brilliant. White privilege goes bad - big time. 

Smashed (2012) Aaron Paul. a small but heartfelt movie about 2 young alcoholics and the dissolution of their marriage when one gets sober. Yes, THAT Aaron Paul. Great supporting cast: Nick Offerman, Megan Mulally, Octavia Spencer, Mary Kay Place. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

ridski said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

lanky said:

I assume it's on a Premium / Pay channel?  Cuz there's a lot of stuff in the original cut that's not basic cable friendly.  Don't forget Keith David, either...
The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

It's not a new series but the film "Requiem for a Dream, the Director's Cut" is on TV tonight (check local listings). It's a fantastic vision of sounds and images and emotions. And drugs. And paranoia. Ellen Burstyn, Jared Leto, Jennifer Connolly, directed by Darren Aranofsky.

I highly recommend it. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt01...

You've seen it? 

I have. The unrated Director's Cut is basically the same as the R rated theatrical release, but the latter uses some alternate POVs and crowd shots during *that* scene with Jennifer Connelly. It's an amazing film, but I'm not sure I can watch it again.

I guess I like substance abuse movies. Some favorites:

Drunks (1995) hard to find, Richard Lewis's greatest achievement. Great cast of cameos. Seek it out. 

Leaving Las Vegas (Nic Cage and our own Elizabeth Shue:  tour-de-force in every way) 

Trainspsotting (1996) 

Days of Wine and Roses: (1962) Dir: Blake Edwards,  Jack Lemmon  Stunning 

White Girl  (2016) Harrowing realism. Loved this film. Not sure it's avail anywhere but it's bloody brilliant. White privilege goes bad - big time. 

Smashed (2012) Aaron Paul. a small but heartfelt movie about 2 young alcoholics and the dissolution of their marriage when one gets sober. Yes, THAT Aaron Paul. Great supporting cast: Nick Offerman, Megan Mulally, Octavia Spencer, Mary Kay Place. 

If you haven't seen Trainspotting 2 yet, do it. I thought it was brilliant.

Interestingly, I've only seen Leaving Las Vegas and Trainspotting from your list. My list would include Blow, New Jack City, Sid And Nancy and Rush, too.

But this doesn't belong in this thread. So everyone watch Lady Dynamite, which I thought was hilarious.

lanky said:

I believe Preacher is available on AMC on Demand, so I believe if you have cable with AMC, it should be free to watch...
ridski said:

lanky said:

Has anyone mentioned "Preacher"?  I really enjoyed Season 1.  Waiting for Season 2 to get some momentum...

Is Preacher only available on AMC streaming or something? I caught a couple of episodes while it was airing and I'd love to watch the whole thing, but I don't want to pay $2 per episode.

Yeah, but then I'd have to pay for cable. I guess I'll have to wait to see if it makes it to Netflix.

I'm finished 2 episodes of Ozark - it's okay but could have been great. I love Jason Bateman so I that bumps it up a few points.

If you liked Love try HBO's Insecure. The first few episodes were a little rocky but after that it was excellent.

eliz said:

I'm finished 2 episodes of Ozark - it's okay but could have been great. I love Jason Bateman so I that bumps it up a few points.

If you liked Love try HBO's Insecure. The first few episodes were a little rocky but after that it was excellent.

I didn't like LOVE, that guy just got on my main nerve, but I LOVE Insecure. 

ridski said:
Yeah, but then I'd have to pay for cable. I guess I'll have to wait to see if it makes it to Netflix.

It's available on Hulu, if that helps you. (And even if it doesn't.)

This might not the right place to post this but I was very interested by this film review in the NYT this morning. The film, Rumble, is about Native Americans in rock and roll. 

BrickPig said:

ridski said:

AMC Preacher:  If you live in Maplewood or in some other BCCLS Library System member, you can request Season 1 through them.

foxychica said:

BrickPig said:

ridski said:

AMC Preacher:  If you live in Maplewood or in some other BCCLS Library System member, you can request Season 1 through them.

And THIS is why I'm still on MOL. Thanks! I'll do that!

I honestly doubt that's why.

boomie said:

I honestly doubt that's why.

There may be other reasons, true. None of them are good reasons.

Finished watching Ozark last night. Bateman and Linney were great. Very much enjoyed the season and hope it gets renewed for another. Reminiscent of Breaking Bad.

Discovered a Netflix series called EASY over the weekend. Very engaging. And sexy. And funny. There's some kind of sex in every episode. "Intertwined groups of friends in Chicago fumble through the modern maze of love, sex, technology and culture."

I couldn't stop watching it.

Just started watching this.  Like it very much so far, but one recent scene that involved a cutting device and a toe made me scramble for the remote.  ARGH!  I love Jason Bateman and Laura Linney.

jamie said:

Watch the first two episodes of the new Netflix series Ozark so far it's really good!

Holy crap!   I got through that scene.  What a great show.

I just began this series.  Amazingly well done.

bak said:

Post Golden Globe win, started watching "The Night Manager" from AMC (found it on Amazon Prime) with Hugh Laurie and Tom Hiddleston--hooked after the first episode, Really great acting and script.

Anyone know how to watch Broadchurch season 3?

"The third and final season of David Tennant- and Olivia Colman-starring detective drama, Broadchurch, has been set to make its U.S. debut on BBC America on June 28. The Peabody Award-winning series created by Chris Chibnall concluded in April on the UK’s ITV with a critically acclaimed run that scored an average 10.7M consolidated viewers. Its return in February gave ITV its best drama ratings since 2015."

Here's the link to the Broadchurch BBC America site: http://www.bbcamerica.com/show...

angelak said:

Just started watching this.  Like it very much so far, but one recent scene that involved a cutting device and a toe made me scramble for the remote.  ARGH!  I love Jason Bateman and Laura Linney.
jamie said:

Watch the first two episodes of the new Netflix series Ozark so far it's really good!

I watched Epi 1 of Ozark last night. It's a table-setter, I guess. I would have watched more but I was too pooped. Looking forward to more. 

Great to see Esai Morales again. I remember him from NYPD Blue. (Checking imdb.com, I see he's been on lots of TV. I just haven't seen those shows)

I really like Ozark.  Maybe it's just my fondness for Jason Bateman and Laura Linney.  I just think it's great.

dave said:

bak said:

Post Golden Globe win, started watching "The Night Manager" from AMC (found it on Amazon Prime) with Hugh Laurie and Tom Hiddleston--hooked after the first episode, Really great acting and script.

I'm always a little surprised that Amazon hasn't made viewing Prime videos as easy as Netflix with a separate app or something. I always find watching Amazon Prime video a bit cumbersome.  

angelak said:

dave said:

bak said:

I'm always a little surprised that Amazon hasn't made viewing Prime videos as easy as Netflix with a separate app or something. I always find watching Amazon Prime video a bit cumbersome.  

They both have their disadvantages, I think. Netflix tends to lump series and movies together, and Amazon sometimes lumps Prime and rent/buy content together.

angelak said:

I really like Ozark.  Maybe it's just my fondness for Jason Bateman and Laura Linney.  I just think it's great.

I'm enjoying it, too although I think Justin Bateman is miscast. His persona as an actor is too benign, too soft, too personable to be any kind of organized crime, money laundering capo. And, yes, I know that's the point, that he's a brilliant milquetoast that takes on this corrupt world. But I'm not buying it. I'd've rather seen someone like Ray Liotta in the role. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I'd've rather seen someone like Ray Liotta in the role. 

Liotta is terrific in Shades of Blue. (I think he's too tough to have worked in the Ozark role.)

unicorn33 said:
The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Liotta is terrific in Shades of Blue. (I think he's too tough to have worked in the Ozark role.)

I don't disagree but Bateman is  just wrong for this part. Like Sheen and Waterson on Grace & Frankie, just plain wrong. 

A young Robin Williams? Tom Hiddleston or Hugh Laurie? Damien Lewis? George Clooney? Who else might be good in that role? (For the record, I think Bateman is good -- just slimy/terrified enough.)

I like his nerdy, accountant-like persona in the role.   Quirky.  Not what you'd expect.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

unicorn33 said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I don't disagree but Bateman is  just wrong for this part. Like Sheen and Waterson on Grace & Frankie, just plain wrong. 

So I finished Ozark last night and found it, ultimately, unsatisfying. Oh, well. Parts were quite fun and exciting but not enough. I think it aspired to be another Breaking Bad but Bateman is no Bryan Cranston. And there was no Vince Gilligann in sight. 

Just one Walter White fan's opinion. 

On to the next show!

Anyone watched The Son (on AMC, stars Pierce Brosnan)? I'm about 3/4 through it. Interesting series, and it just got renewed for a second season.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.