What series should I watch next?

j_r said:

I know I'm late to the Enlightened party, but it's well-done and only 27 minutes per episode. 

Speaking of late to the party, I'm sure everyone knows about Friday Night Lights, but we just started watching it (Netflix) this weekend. We have absolutely zero interest in football, and have long avoided this show despite the uniformly great reviews it garnered during its run. Finally decided to give it a try based solely on the strength of Kyle Chandler's performance in Bloodline, and man, we are blown away by how good it is. 

Short version of above: If you've been ignoring Friday Night Lights because you don't like football, change your mind. 

BrickPig said:

j_r said:

I know I'm late to the Enlightened party, but it's well-done and only 27 minutes per episode. 

Speaking of late to the party, I'm sure everyone knows about Friday Night Lights, but we just started watching it (Netflix) this weekend. We have absolutely zero interest in football, and have long avoided this show despite the uniformly great reviews it garnered during its run. Finally decided to give it a try based solely on the strength of Kyle Chandler's performance in Bloodline, and man, we are blown away by how good it is. 

Short version of above: If you've been ignoring Friday Night Lights because you don't like football, change your mind. 

+1

I had the same reaction when the show first aired thinking that since I don't like football, why should I even bother giving it a try.  I'm glad I did and was sorry when it ended its run.

Just finished the new (final?) season of Orange Is the New Black. 

Meh. 

Last season of Bloodline SUCKED.   Period.   What a huge disappointment.  

boomie said:

Was that Season 3? I saw the first 2 and loved/hated it. Good acting but truly awful people. 

Why did it suck? Was dead Danny still a main character? 

boomie said:

Absolutely could not disagree more.

Soulful - Have you watched Rake (the original Australian version?)  If not, try it (it's on Netflix.) I'm sure that you will like it. Danielle Cormack, who was Bea Smith on Wentworth, has a supporting role. 

I've become a big fan of Australian tv series - Wentworth, Rake, Top of the Lake (although TOL was made in New Zealand.)

cramer said:

Soulful - Have you watched Rake (the original Australian version?)  If not, try it (it's on Netflix.) I'm sure that you will like it. Danielle Cormack, who was Bea Smith on Wentworth, has a supporting role. 

I've become a big fan of Australian tv series - Wentworth, Rake, Top of the Lake (although TOL was made in New Zealand.)

I have not. Nor have I seen season 3? 4? of Wentworth altho I enjoyed the first 2 seasons a lot. (How many seasons are there?) 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

cramer said:

I have not. Nor have I seen season 3? 4? of Wentworth altho I enjoyed the first 2 seasons a lot. (How many seasons are there?) 

Five seasons so far. 

Big fan of Friday Night Lights.

Thought most recent season of Orange Is the New Black was very good, though much darker than previous seasons.

Have greatly enjoyed first four episodes of Ozark.

Haven't seen last season of Bloodline yet; liked the first two.

Love Billions! Terrific cast.

Also big fan of The Americans, though somewhat disappointed by last season.

There are three seasons of Bloodline and now the series has ended.  Dead Danny was still around but that's not why it sucked.   It was awful - they had a hundred storylines that went nowhere and characters that served no purpose at all.  Ending was ridiculous.  

boomie said:

There are three seasons of Bloodline and now the series has ended.  Dead Danny was still around but that's not why it sucked.   It was awful - they had a hundred storylines that went nowhere and characters that served no purpose at all.  Ending was ridiculous.  

Thanks, I'll pass then. 

Certainly season 3 of Bloodline wasn't as good as seasons 1 and 2, but "sucked" and "awful" are pretty grand overstatements. We thought it was still some pretty damned good TV.

foxychica said:

BrickPig said:

j_r said:

+1

I had the same reaction when the show first aired thinking that since I don't like football, why should I even bother giving it a try.  I'm glad I did and was sorry when it ended its run.

+2. On your recommendation I started watching Friday Night Lights. 15 minutes in and I'm definitely impressed. I usually give a show 1 full episode before I commit or cut it loose. 

Friday Night Lights has been discussed way back in this thread - and I don't meant to imply you all should have seen the references.  grin  However, if you search Friday Night Lights as a phrase you'll see it invariably listed either here or in other threads as being in the top 5 or so of best/favorite series of various posters.

I for one was so sad when my time with it ended. And although I am an avid baseball fan I really don't care much about football and certainly not high school football in Texas. And still you can count me as one who put it up there as a top 5 series.

It's not a new series but the film "Requiem for a Dream, the Director's Cut" is on TV tonight (check local listings). It's a fantastic vision of sounds and images and emotions. And drugs. And paranoia. Ellen Burstyn, Jared Leto, Jennifer Connolly, directed by Darren Aranofsky.

I highly recommend it. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt01...

O-Zark!  O-Zark!   O-Zark!

Ozark is great for anyone who loves Breaking Bad type storylines.    Not my thing but I can see its excellent, in its genre.

jeffl said:

O-Zark!  O-Zark!   O-Zark!

Now, admittedly, I give way too much credence to the New York Times, in everything, particularly the editorials and arts/media reviews, but their reviewer didn't care too much for Ozark

I assume it's on a Premium / Pay channel?  Cuz there's a lot of stuff in the original cut that's not basic cable friendly.  Don't forget Keith David, either...

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

It's not a new series but the film "Requiem for a Dream, the Director's Cut" is on TV tonight (check local listings). It's a fantastic vision of sounds and images and emotions. And drugs. And paranoia. Ellen Burstyn, Jared Leto, Jennifer Connolly, directed by Darren Aranofsky.

I highly recommend it. 

Has anyone mentioned "Preacher"?  I really enjoyed Season 1.  Waiting for Season 2 to get some momentum...

lanky said:

I assume it's on a Premium / Pay channel?  Cuz there's a lot of stuff in the original cut that's not basic cable friendly.  Don't forget Keith David, either...
The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I highly recommend it. 

You've seen it? 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

lanky said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I highly recommend it. 

You've seen it? 

I have. The unrated Director's Cut is basically the same as the R rated theatrical release, but the latter uses some alternate POVs and crowd shots during *that* scene with Jennifer Connelly. It's an amazing film, but I'm not sure I can watch it again.

lanky said:

Has anyone mentioned "Preacher"?  I really enjoyed Season 1.  Waiting for Season 2 to get some momentum...

Is Preacher only available on AMC streaming or something? I caught a couple of episodes while it was airing and I'd love to watch the whole thing, but I don't want to pay $2 per episode.

I saw it in the theater, haven't seen the Director's cut.  There's a certain scene toward the end orchestrated by Keith David's character that makes wonder if basic cable could stomach it...

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

lanky said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I highly recommend it. 

You've seen it? 

I believe Preacher is available on AMC on Demand, so I believe if you have cable with AMC, it should be free to watch...

ridski said:

lanky said:

Is Preacher only available on AMC streaming or something? I caught a couple of episodes while it was airing and I'd love to watch the whole thing, but I don't want to pay $2 per episode.

ridski said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

lanky said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I highly recommend it. 

You've seen it? 

I have. The unrated Director's Cut is basically the same as the R rated theatrical release, but the latter uses some alternate POVs and crowd shots during *that* scene with Jennifer Connelly. It's an amazing film, but I'm not sure I can watch it again.

I guess I like substance abuse movies. Some favorites:

Drunks (1995) hard to find, Richard Lewis's greatest achievement. Great cast of cameos. Seek it out. 

Leaving Las Vegas (Nic Cage and our own Elizabeth Shue:  tour-de-force in every way) 

Trainspsotting (1996) 

Days of Wine and Roses: (1962) Dir: Blake Edwards,  Jack Lemmon  Stunning 

White Girl  (2016) Harrowing realism. Loved this film. Not sure it's avail anywhere but it's bloody brilliant. White privilege goes bad - big time. 

Smashed (2012) Aaron Paul. a small but heartfelt movie about 2 young alcoholics and the dissolution of their marriage when one gets sober. Yes, THAT Aaron Paul. Great supporting cast: Nick Offerman, Megan Mulally, Octavia Spencer, Mary Kay Place. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

ridski said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

lanky said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I highly recommend it. 

You've seen it? 

I guess I like substance abuse movies. Some favorites:

Drunks (1995) hard to find, Richard Lewis's greatest achievement. Great cast of cameos. Seek it out. 

Leaving Las Vegas (Nic Cage and our own Elizabeth Shue:  tour-de-force in every way) 

Trainspsotting (1996) 

Days of Wine and Roses: (1962) Dir: Blake Edwards,  Jack Lemmon  Stunning 

White Girl  (2016) Harrowing realism. Loved this film. Not sure it's avail anywhere but it's bloody brilliant. White privilege goes bad - big time. 

Smashed (2012) Aaron Paul. a small but heartfelt movie about 2 young alcoholics and the dissolution of their marriage when one gets sober. Yes, THAT Aaron Paul. Great supporting cast: Nick Offerman, Megan Mulally, Octavia Spencer, Mary Kay Place. 

+1 especially your last one, Smashed, with Aaron Paul.  I've always felt that he didn't get enough credit for his superb portrayal of Jesse on Breaking Bad.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.