What series should I watch next?

Catastrophe is back!! for Season 3 on Amazon. If you haven't watched this, you should. The first 2 seasons are only 6 episodes each, I think, so you can catch up quickly. I definitely suggest you watch the first 2 seasons first. It's marvelous. 

OMG Schitt's Creek on Netflix is EVERYTHING a comedy dreams of being.  I have not seen anything so brilliant since Arrested Development.  The cast is sublime.  The writing is so so good.    Eugene Levy.  Daniel Levy.   Catherine O'Hara.   It is simply perfect. Seasons 1 and 2 on netflix.   Season 3 is pay only right now (amazon) but releases on Netflix this December.

I finished watching season 2 of Master of None, Aziz Ansari's show on Netflix, and I really liked it very much. Funny, romantic and beautifully observed . 

Specifically, the first two episodes take place in Italy and those episodes reverberate throughout the following 8 episodes.

If you've ever tried online dating, go watch episode 4.  Terrific scenarios about the fun and frustrations of first dates and meeting strangers with hope and trepidation. Beautifully done.

And if you love New York City, and all its crazy, mixed-up stories, see episode 5. Aziz is not in this episode at all but it's magically New York  

My daughter tells me the Handmaid's Tale is the scariest thing she's ever watched on TV.  I don't have Hulu.  I'm a big fan of Atwood though.

Is no one watching American Gods?  Great weird stuff. 

lanky said:

The Handmaid's Tale started on Hulu last night, the first 3 episodes are available, future ones will come every Wednesday.

HMT is good.  I've only seen a couple of episodes so far, but American Gods is a little too "Spartacus'y" for me with the silly amount of blood spurting from people but I'll keep with it.

bub said:

My daughter tells me the Handmaid's Tale is the scariest thing she's ever watched on TV.  I don't have Hulu.  I'm a big fan of Atwood though.

Is no one watching American Gods?  Great weird stuff. 

lanky said:

The Handmaid's Tale started on Hulu last night, the first 3 episodes are available, future ones will come every Wednesday.

Hmm.  I dont think of Gods being all that bloody.  That first episode prologue scene with the vikings was, but the main real time action hasn't been (has it?). 

Last weekend, started "Marcella" on Netflix and really dig it. The Brits do a fantastic job showcasing women in authority positions.

I agree with your daughter.  I am a huge Atwood fan as well, and this was terrifying the first time around.  Now it's a peculiar sort of real life horror.

Don't think Silicon Valley has been mentioned. Very smartly written and acted. Start at Season 1 but each season can arguably stand on its own but characters develop and grow on you. The 30 minute comedies developed by HBO that I've seen so far are all quite good. I finished all seasons of Curb (can't wait for the new one coming soon), Silicon Valley I caught up to and am now watching current Season 4, and also started Veep (yes, I am late to a lot of parties).  These shows are perfect for my in home work out routine. I also watched In Treatment in that manner but that of course is NOT a comedy.  grin 

No Erlich next season on SV, unfortunately. 

I just finished season two of The Last Kingdom and LOVED it!

dave said:

No Erlich next season on SV, unfortunately. 

As much as he's a great character on the show, the show is so good it will survive. Seems to be mutual from what I just read after a quick Google from your news. Speaking of T.J. Miller, I found this great quote of his when I Googled the show soon after starting to watch it. Elon Musk had said he didn't think it was realistic. T.J. had this to say (and I love the quotes of the some of the others after that):

"Elon Musk, after viewing the first episode of the show, said: "None of those characters were software engineers. Software engineers are more helpful, thoughtful, and smarter. They're weird, but not in the same way. I was just having a meeting with my information security team, and they're great but they're pretty weird—one used to be a dude, one's super small, one's hyper-smart—that's actually what it is. [...] I really feel like Mike Judge has never been to Burning Man, which is Silicon Valley [...] If you haven't been, you just don't get it. You could take the craziest L.A. party and multiply it by a thousand, and it doesn't even get close to what's in Silicon Valley. The show didn't have any of that."[29]

In response to Musk's comments, actor T.J. Miller, who plays Erlich on the show, pointed out that "if the billionaire power players don’t get the joke, it’s because they’re not comfortable being satirized... I’m sorry, but you could tell everything was true. You guys do have bike meetings, motherfker” Other software engineers who also attended the same premiere stated that they felt like they were watching their "reflection".[29]

In January 2017, in an audience interaction by Bill Gates and Warren Buffett, Gates recounted the episode in Silicon Valley where the main protagonists try to pitch their product to different venture capitalists reminding him of his own experiences.[30]" 

Emphasis added.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Valley_(TV_series)#Critical_response

I love Silicon Valley. The season 1 finale (Tech Crunch) was freaking brilliant.

Brockmire, which ended last week, is pretty good too.

Was I the only that was lost watching Bloodline's first episode of season 3?

We're enjoying Genius about Einstein on National Geographic.  The young Einstein is brilliant haven't yet gotten to the "older" Einstein which will be played by Geoffrey Rush.  The young woman who plays his wife as a young co physicist is brilliant, just brilliant.

Not sure if the whole thing is on demand anywhere yet, we're watching the weekly episodes.

Best Regards,

Ron Carter

Orphan black. Intense. 

Catastrophe! Gobbled it up, itchy-making and excellent writing. And Better Call Saul. Come on, Monday.

j_r said:

Catastrophe! Gobbled it up, itchy-making and excellent writing. And Better Call Saul. Come on, Monday.

Brief hiatus due to Memorial Day. 

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/bett...

drummerboy said:

What's a Bloodline?

I'm about halfway through Season2 of Bloodline and it's so creepy it makes my skin crawl. These people are so f'd-up. Sometimes I have to turn it off and walk away because I'm so disgusted. BUT! The acting is very good Kevin and Danny are such great characters and the acting by Norbert Leo Butz and Ben Mendelsohn respectively, as well as the rest of the cast, is so convincing. The show is very engaging. Talk aboutcher white privilege.

Starting watching the fourth season of Rake last night. Love that series. One of the best.

Loving Bloodline though I am still in season 1 so don't say anything! 

Recommend GLOW and Deep Ocean on Netflix.

The third season of BBC's mystery Broadchurch has begun.  

PetuniaBird said:

Recommend GLOW and Deep Ocean on Netflix.

I watched the first few episode of GLOW and didn't like it. Too silly and superficial. And I like Allison Brie and Betty Gilpin a lot but their roles here a a bit... what? stupid. Marc Maron's role I like. I'm gonna pass on the rest of it.

Watch the first two episodes of the new Netflix series Ozark so far it's really good!

I know I'm late to the Enlightened party, but it's well-done and only 27 minutes per episode. 

+1

jamie said:

Watch the first two episodes of the new Netflix series Ozark so far it's really good!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.