What series should I watch next?

Has anyone seen Halt and Catch Fire? It was on a few years ago.

EBennett said:

jamie said:

EBennett said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I watched 2 episodes of White Lotus and found it really annoying. Not sure I’ll continue. Anyone enjoying it? 

I made it through all 6 episodes and the finale was absolutely unsatisfying - a ridiculous "resolution" to one issue and several key questions left completely unaddressed.

Plus, I wish a different character had died . . .

I loved the characters, the quirkiness (soundtrack helped a lot) and the dialogue.

I thought the ending was great.  I don't think this is much of a spoiler - but things ended as normally as they began.  Some people were transformed (1?), but at the end of the day most people were the same person they were at the start - which alone is a great statement.

I also liked that people weren't magically transformed by their experiences.  And I really enjoyed the soundtrack (and that the captions gave the artist and song title).  

But I really wanted to know what happened to Kai and how much money was in the envelope.  Those were the storylines that interested me.  The wealthy people were all a bit boring (although Jennifer Coolidge continues to amaze me)

Admittedly, I'm enough of a romantic to hope that the one marriage kept their improved relationship and a bit surprised that the other marriage was continuing at all.

I'm also a Jennifer Coolidge fan. Bend and snap, baby. 

trailer for the upcoming Foundation series

drummerboy said:

Hope its good.  Always looking for smart sci fi.

Been watching Raised by Wolves.  Good enough if not great.  It's ambitious.

bub said:

drummerboy said:

Hope its good.  Always looking for smart sci fi.

Been watching Raised by Wolves.  Good enough if not great.  It's ambitious.

I have reservations about Foundation. Let me know what you think of the end of Raised By Wolves. I stopped watching after Episode 8, I think for reasons. Not sure if it's worth finishing it.

EBennett said:

Also a huge Damian Lewis fan.  His character Soames in The Forsyte Saga is both compelling and repellent.  Lewis was also amazing in a series called Life that lasted for 2 seasons on NBC about a cop who was falsely convicted.

OK, with both you and mtierney endorsying the Forsyth Saga, I'll look for it.

Have either of you watched Homeland? As Sargent Brody he was a strange and fascinating anit-hero or hero, depending on your perception. The series feels pertinent based on the current political climate. I'm enjoying again weeks after my first viewing.

OK, changed my mind about Billions. I got hooked. Took a few plot twists but I'm all in and back to being a Damian Lewis fan.

jamie said:

Any watch The White Lotus last night?  I liked it!

I see Mike White is behind this.  He wrote and starred in Enlightened - another good series if you haven't seen it.

It took me until the 4th episode to like White Lotus.  I always have a hard time when I don’t like any of the characters.  

Morganna said:

EBennett said:

Also a huge Damian Lewis fan.  His character Soames in The Forsyte Saga is both compelling and repellent.  Lewis was also amazing in a series called Life that lasted for 2 seasons on NBC about a cop who was falsely convicted.

OK, with both you and mtierney endorsying the Forsyth Saga, I'll look for it.

Have either of you watched Homeland? As Sargent Brody he was a strange and fascinating anit-hero or hero, depending on your perception. The series feels pertinent based on the current political climate. I'm enjoying again weeks after my first viewing.

i was a Homeland fan back in the day we watched week to week, or DVRrd it. Think I might try it again streaming — probably would be able to stay on top of the complex plot better.  I am one fan who refuses to accept that Damian’s character was bad, or even if he actually died in the last episode.

Sadly, current events in the Middle East might make watching it too painful.

mtierney said:

i was a Homeland fan back in the day we watched week to week, or DVRrd it. Think I might try it again streaming — probably would be able to stay on top of the complex plot better.  I am one fan who refuses to accept that Damian’s character was bad, or even if he actually died in the last episode.

Sadly, current events in the Middle East might make watching it too painful.

I'm with you on Brody's character. He was too complex to neatly fit in the "bad" category. His being a POW made him instantly sympathetic. As I'm under the Damian Lewis spell, I may be starting to forgive some of the greedy moves of his character Bobby Axelrod in Billions. Anyone either interested in the market or the law will get pulled in to the plot.

I have reservations about Foundation. Let me know what you think of the end of Raised By Wolves. I stopped watching after Episode 8, I think for reasons. Not sure if it's worth finishing it.

I finished the season.  Mostly enjoyable but the last 10 minutes of the final episode goes off the deep end a bit.  If there's a second season, I'll give it a chance and see how it goes.

Watched a few episodes of "Only Murders in the Building" on Hulu. Steve Martin and Martin Short. They give Martin Sheen and Sam Waterson (Grace & Frankie) a run for their money as the worst actors in an ongoing sitcom. They're not actors. They're comedians. Big difference. Steve Martin is his usual chip-on-his-shoulder better than anyone else sarcastic attitude that he's incapable of turning off and Short just does his same old shtick that he does in absolutely everything he touches. Selena Gomez is also terrible. If the writing was better, it might be more watchable but it's not. The show wants to be a streaming hit like Mrs. Maisel or Queen's Gambit but Lord, it is not.  I think it's awful but I'll watch another episode or two and see. 

I'm enjoying Nine Perfect Strangers even though it's not that great either. It's nice to see actors play against their usual type. The writing is good and the plot i engaging. 

ETA: And Sting is in Only Murders! I loathe Sting!

Netflix has Clickbait which condemns the media and social media hookup reality. It’s slickly produced, well cast — no big names that I recognize. Into episode 5 and I am hooked, but if the show is what we all kind of demand — getting the story, along with the truth if possible — it’s a dirty job.

Clickbait was good.  The lead from Entourage was in it.

We've been watching Frayed on HBO Max - it's pretty good.  

Here’s the link where I found Frayed and a few others I hadn’t heard of before.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/hbo-max-21-best-tv-shows-to-watch-tonight/

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Say no more. I'm done. 

I enjoyed White Lotus quite a lot. You have to appreciate Mike White's approach to comedy/satire, which is not everyone's taste. I especially appreciate his ability to create cringeworthy dialogue exchanges between characters. But as I say, he's not everyone's taste. However, fort those who enjoy White Lotus, you might also try Enlightened, another Mike White limited series starring Laura Dern and, yes, Mike White himself. 

An observation: Back in the 50s/60s, family relations were for the most part portrayed as "normal," or at least not off-the-charts crazy. I'm thinking Father Knows Best, Leave It to Beaver, Donna Reed Show, **** Van Dyke, et. al. But nowadays, utterly dysfunctional families seem to be the norm. I'm thinking of shows like Yellowstone, Succession, and White Lotus. And while those earlier shows generally featured a number of likable characters, it's hard to find a likable one in the bunch in today's portrayals. 

But perhaps I'm oversimplifying, comparing apples and oranges. After all, those earlier shows were half-hour sitcoms, while the current ones I mentioned are hour-long dramas (with streaks of black comedy).

I regularly watch films on Kanopy as well as films and tv shows on Hoopla.  Both online services can be obtained through the Maplewood Library.  On Hoopla, I just finished watching a Norwegian mystery series entitled "Wisting," that centers on William Wisting, head of a detective squad in the Norwegian town of Larvik.  It's pretty standard fare -- serial killer on the loose, etc. -- but it's well done.  Carrie-Anne Moss, from "The Matrix" series is in it.  I'm a big fan of Scandi Noir (mainly, I think, for the window into that culture and part of the world) so if you are, too, this is for you. 

Also looking forward to the 11th season of the British series "Vera" and the 2nd season of the Apple series "See."  

One great advantage of getting older is Memory Loss.

Found all of Prime Suspect on Hulu. She is a wonderful actress! Great scripts!

I totally agree with you, rCarter31.  I couldn't remember whether I'd seen all of the "Prime Suspect" episodes, so I watched the entire series, possibly again, just recently.  I watched it on BritBox through Amazon.  Back when "Prime Suspect" first came out, I instantly became a huge Helen Mirren fan.  I didn't like what they did with the Tennison character, though, in the final episode.  Will say no more in case other people haven't watched the entire series.  

unicorn33 said:

An observation: Back in the 50s/60s, family relations were for the most part portrayed as "normal," or at least not off-the-charts crazy. I'm thinking Father Knows Best, Leave It to Beaver, Donna Reed Show, **** Van Dyke, et. al. But nowadays, utterly dysfunctional families seem to be the norm. I'm thinking of shows like Yellowstone, Succession, and White Lotus. And while those earlier shows generally featured a number of likable characters, it's hard to find a likable one in the bunch in today's portrayals. 

But perhaps I'm oversimplifying, comparing apples and oranges. After all, those earlier shows were half-hour sitcoms, while the current ones I mentioned are hour-long dramas (with streaks of black comedy).

Soap Operas, which, even today, remain a secret vice for many viewers, have featured dysfunctional families over the course of 50 years. There are actors who have been on a show for 40 years in the same role — often from dashing heartthrob to doting grandfather, or still gorgeous grandmother.  One soap just reached  12,000 consecutive episodes. 

A lot of what they showed in the classic sitcoms as "normal" wasn't normal at all, like married couples sleeping in separate twin beds.  On I love Lucy, it is famously told that they were not allowed to use the word "pregnant" to describe her condition because it's so vulgar, right?

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Loving "Broad City."

I just finished all 5 seasons (it's on Hulu now). I found out about it from a guest appearance by I think Ilana Glazer on the Hysteria podcast I occasionally listen to.   I am quoting Soulful to 1) remind me to stalk his comments to get more of his suggestions and 2) to bump this great show for others who may have lived in a cave when it was first aired. Solid ending as well. 

wendy said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Loving "Broad City."

I just finished all 5 seasons (it's on Hulu now). I found out about it from a guest appearance by I think Ilana Glazer on the Hysteria podcast I occasionally listen to.   I am quoting Soulful to 1) remind me to stalk his comments to get more of his suggestions and 2) to bump this great show for others who may have lived in a cave when it was first aired. Solid ending as well. 

We're fans.  It can be quite crude but love the girls.

wendy said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Loving "Broad City."

Aw, shucks, ma’am. 

Anyone watch Schmigadoon?  I'm certainly in the minority but I'm loving it.  Watched 3 of 6 episodes so far.  Characters are caught in a land of Broadway musicals.  Incredible cast.  On AppleTV.

jeffl said:

Anyone watch Schmigadoon?  I'm certainly in the minority but I'm loving it.  Watched 3 of 6 episodes so far.  Characters are caught in a land of Broadway musicals.  Incredible cast.  On AppleTV.

We loved it.  

jeffl said:

I don't own anything Apple so can't watch it but I love musicals. Perhaps it will go elsewhere at some point. 

BTW I don't know who you are in the minority with but it got very good reviews:  https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/schmigadoon

bub said:

BTW I don't know who you are in the minority with but it got very good reviews:  https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/schmigadoon

Thanks for pointing that out.  I haven’t found too many who love it like I do!

For those who liked Mare of Easttown, you might want to give a try to American Rust on Showtime with Jeff Daniels. I watched the first episode and it has a similar gritty feel.  He's Chief of Police in South West PA. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.