What series should I watch next?

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

These days I put on subtitles for almost everything. 

especially for those Brits!

oots said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

These days I put on subtitles for almost everything. 

especially for those Brits!

Yes! I've been watching episodes of Last Tango in Halifax here and there, and even though my ex is a Brit, I couldn't follow it without the subtitles. 

The subtitles move so quickly for Call my Agent but unless one is watching on a computer or a phone one can't slow them down. 

To Soulful: I will check out the two you recommended; heard of them and have not had a chance to try them. Regardless of your Gervais thoughts try it. That's why I said he's not the same person from either the Office or other places you may have seen him.

As to other things, some are more female leaning I've discovered that have been around but loved: Call the Midwife; Downton Abby; Gilmore Girls. Since I read many police procedurals, mysteries one has to be really good for me to stick with it. Thus Mare of Eastown wins that prize whereas Bosch (read all his stuff) doesn't.

Not to say that I won't accept the difference between book and TV but it has to hold me.

wendy said:

The subtitles move so quickly for Call my Agent but unless one is watching on a computer or a phone one can't slow them down. 

To Soulful: I will check out the two you recommended; heard of them and have not had a chance to try them. Regardless of your Gervais thoughts try it. That's why I said he's not the same person from either the Office or other places you may have seen him.

As to other things, some are more female leaning I've discovered that have been around but loved: Call the Midwife; Downton Abby; Gilmore Girls. Since I read many police procedurals, mysteries one has to be really good for me to stick with it. Thus Mare of Eastown wins that prize whereas Bosch (read all his stuff) doesn't.

Not to say that I won't accept the difference between book and TV but it has to hold me.

Loved Mare, and did you ever see My Brilliant Friend or Gentlemen Jack?  Both had great female roles.

Any watch The White Lotus last night?  I liked it!

I see Mike White is behind this.  He wrote and starred in Enlightened - another good series if you haven't seen it.

I'm on season 7 of Homeland. Only one season left and I'm already wondering what I will find as gripping after the end of season 8. The domestic terrorism of 7 is too close to home. The season on Afghanistan also pertinent as we leave.

Well, I finished Loki, so...

Dr. Death on Peacock!

Or listen to the podcasts!

How is subtitles different from closed captioning?  CC has brought foreign series — and even some American shows — to life for me. 

Currently bingeing on A Place To Call Home. It is essentially a soap opera on a grand scale, set in Australia, post WW2 era, with a wonderful cast. Watching the character development— the “baddies” become good guys; the “nice” people get their comeuppance. Into Season 2, of 7, curiosity keeps me tuned in.

Subtitles translates from another language and is a form of CC.  CC can be used for English - sometimes it's hard to understand accents and help get all of the words.  We have ours on quite a lot.

Not really an answer to the question, but we liked the Durrells so much, that we are currently vacationing in Corfu.

Over my vacation i watched second season of Never Have I ever. It's so adorable. And narrated by John McEnroe, for some reason. . 

We watched and really enjoyed the first episode of "Schmigadoon," a comedy/fantasy spoof of old time musicals.  Keegan Michael Key, of Key and Peele, plays a guy who, with his girlfriend, stumbles into and gets stuck in a Brigadoon-like town where the locals break into song and dance regularly.   It's funny and you can enjoy the musical/dance numbers as such.  Supporting cast includes Fred Armisen, Martin Short and Kristin Chenoweth.    

Just finished Mrs. Fletcher on HOBO. Only 7 episodes but very engaging. Sexy, and funny. Kathryn Hahn in a different kinda  role.  I liked it very much. 

Also watched The Other Two on HBO, a very funny show with Molly Shannon, also stretching out a bit. 

Planning on starting Billions since I got hooked on Damian Lewis in Homeland. Actually after binge watching Homeland, I'm starting it over again.

Paul McCartney 3,2,1

On Hulu

A graduate level course/documentary on song writing and studio mixing and creativity.

McCartney interviewed by Producer Rick Rubin.

Super!

Just watched Season 1 of Broadchurch and really enjoyed it.  

Highly recommend Rutherford Falls which is on Peacock.  The first 3 episodes are free.

Michael Schur (Parks & Rec, The Good Place, Brooklyn 99, etc.) is one of the producers.

It is very funny while exploring current issues about monuments and whose history is remembered.  Half of the writers are Native American.

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/10/1026500642/encore-rutherford-falls-creators-on-finding-humor-in-americas-messy-history

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Just finished Mrs. Fletcher on HOBO. Only 7 episodes but very engaging. Sexy, and funny. Kathryn Hahn in a different kinda  role.  I liked it very much. 

Also watched The Other Two on HBO, a very funny show with Molly Shannon, also stretching out a bit. 

Powered through based on your recommendation.  Really liked it as well.  Didn’t think I would after the first episode.  A shocking amount of skin, though!   

Doesn't look like the Damian Lewis who portrayed Brody in Homeland is appealing in his role as Bobby Axelrod in Billions. If anyone has watched it, did you find even one character likable? I'm a bit motivated to continue just to see someone get punished for something. 

I should have left Lewis on his Homeland pedestal.

Professor T (a BBC remake of the original Belgian series).

I watched 2 episodes of White Lotus and found it really annoying. Not sure I’ll continue. Anyone enjoying it? 

Morganna said:

Doesn't look like the Damian Lewis who portrayed Brody in Homeland is appealing in his role as Bobby Axelrod in Billions. If anyone has watched it, did you find even one character likable? I'm a bit motivated to continue just to see someone get punished for something. 

I, too, am a Damian Lewis fan.  He was in The Forsyth Saga series — reminiscent of Downton Abbey — which one watched each and every week — he played a real nasty man! Loved his acting anyway.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I watched 2 episodes of White Lotus and found it really annoying. Not sure I’ll continue. Anyone enjoying it? 

I made it through all 6 episodes and the finale was absolutely unsatisfying - a ridiculous "resolution" to one issue and several key questions left completely unaddressed.

Plus, I wish a different character had died . . .

EBennett said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I made it through all 6 episodes and the finale was absolutely unsatisfying - a ridiculous "resolution" to one issue and several key questions left completely unaddressed.

Say no more. I'm done. 

Just started Hit and Run with the male lead from Fauda.  Really good.  

mtierney said:

Morganna said:

I, too, am a Damian Lewis fan.  He was in The Forsyth Saga series — reminiscent of Downton Abbey — which one watched each and every week — he played a real nasty man! Loved his acting anyway.

Also a huge Damian Lewis fan.  His character Soames in The Forsyte Saga is both compelling and repellent.  Lewis was also amazing in a series called Life that lasted for 2 seasons on NBC about a cop who was falsely convicted.

EBennett said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I loved the characters, the quirkiness (soundtrack helped a lot) and the dialogue.

I thought the ending was great.  I don't think this is much of a spoiler - but things ended as normally as they began.  Some people were transformed (1?), but at the end of the day most people were the same person they were at the start - which alone is a great statement.

Last night I watched the first 2 episodes of 9 Perfect Strangers on Hulu. Similar premise to White Lotus (a bunch of strangers at a luxury resort) but I think I like it better. A very strong cast. Nicole KIdman, Melissa McCarthy, Michael Shannon, Regina Hall, Bobby Cannavale, most of them playing against their typical personae. I'm looking forward to seeing more. 

jamie said:

EBennett said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I loved the characters, the quirkiness (soundtrack helped a lot) and the dialogue.

I thought the ending was great.  I don't think this is much of a spoiler - but things ended as normally as they began.  Some people were transformed (1?), but at the end of the day most people were the same person they were at the start - which alone is a great statement.

I also liked that people weren't magically transformed by their experiences.  And I really enjoyed the soundtrack (and that the captions gave the artist and song title).  

But I really wanted to know what happened to Kai and how much money was in the envelope.  Those were the storylines that interested me.  The wealthy people were all a bit boring (although Jennifer Coolidge continues to amaze me)

Admittedly, I'm enough of a romantic to hope that the one marriage kept their improved relationship and a bit surprised that the other marriage was continuing at all.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.