What series should I watch next?

Don't ask me how I thought of this, but I just found Hart to Hart on IMDB and am about to watch the first episode - will it stand the test of time? 

Has anyone watched Person's of Interest, speaking of crime shows? I've actually watched the entire thing several times, because I love how it's done so much and the characters are that good.  Same thing with a show called The Cult, which is no longer available anywhere as far as I can tell.  

Game of Thrones starts today on HBO for those who missed it the first time or just want to return to Winterfell. Winter is Coming. Bingeworthy.

Has anyone seen the new HBO fantasy series, The Nevers? It premiered Sunday.

Set in England in the late 1900s. Very unusual.

I highly recommend This is a Robbery on Netflix. It is a 4 episode docuseries about the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum hiest and organized crime in Boston.

"Resident Alien" from SyFy, first season also on Peacock.  

Started watching this very well-reviewed show that's been around for a while.  If it's a dark comedy, as described, it's about as dark as it gets.  It's actually unsettling at times.  It stars the actress who played cousin Maebe on Arrested Development. 

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/search_party

Just finished season one of The Man in High Castle. Certainly holds your interest!

Mare of Easttown has me hooked. It's the best show that I've seen for a while. HBO is only releasing it one episode each week and it's something to look forward to at 10:00 pm on Sundays. (Or the repeats if I miss it on Sundays.)

ridski said:

Separate the books from the series. It's not a faithful adaptation, but in some ways improves on the basic story. Drummer, who is a bit character in the books takes the roles of many other belters in the show, and while you might be disappointed not to see certain characters come to the fore, or their motivations changed, I've found that so far everything I've seen anyone do in the show pays off. Ty and Daniel are very much part of the writing team of the show so everything you see on screen has been approved by them. This won't be like Game of Thrones. 

Having said that, I'll be interested in your thoughts on Season 4. I think it was fairly pedestrian by comparison, but worth slogging through to get all the payoffs in Season 5.

Just finished up season 4, which I enjoyed. Space cowboys face off in a Klondike mining camp! Murtry's a good villain; easy to hate. Not that i always need that in a tv show or movie (was a big fan of Mad Men, for instance), but it worked for me here . Having read the books, of course I know what kind of.. impact.. to expect in season 5 (and have been noting the telegraphing of it since pretty early on).

cramer said:

Mare of Easttown has me hooked. It's the best show that I've seen for a while. HBO is only releasing it one episode each week and it's something to look forward to at 10:00 pm on Sundays. (Or the repeats if I miss it on Sundays.)

I'll check it out. It must be right after The Nevers which is totally bizarre and has me hooked. Like Game of Thrones it is complicated, visually stunning, but a dark subject. Set in Victorian England, I find myself identifying the paintings on the walls of some of the mansions. I had to watch the first episode more than once and will do the same with last nights. I'm guessing it is HBO's attempt to get the Game of Thrones following back.

Morganna said:

cramer said:

I'll check it out. It must be right after The Nevers which is totally bizarre and has me hooked. Like Game of Thrones it is complicated, visually stunning, but a dark subject. Set in Victorian England, I find myself identifying the paintings on the walls of some of the mansions. I had to watch the first episode more than once and will do the same with last nights. I'm guessing it is HBO's attempt to get the Game of Thrones following back.

One of Kate Winslet's best. My guess is that she will get an Emmy for it - she's that good. 

cramer said:

Interesting. The family set up seems a viper pit of Trumpdom. I kept hoping for a sympathetic character. Everyone is so whiny!

I will give it a couple more... 

Needs to show me something!

Feels like a knockoff of The Killing right now.

PVW said:

Just finished up season 4, which I enjoyed. Space cowboys face off in a Klondike mining camp! Murtry's a good villain; easy to hate. Not that i always need that in a tv show or movie (was a big fan of Mad Men, for instance), but it worked for me here . Having read the books, of course I know what kind of.. impact.. to expect in season 5 (and have been noting the telegraphing of it since pretty early on).

And now season five -- enjoyed that, but of course now I'm all caught up with nothing to watch...

I just started watching For All Mankind on Apple+ which is filling in the gap.

Okay, we totally binged our way through season one of For All Mankind. Absolutely love it. Had to stop on season 2 episode 2 because otherwise we would have pulled an all-nighter with work to go to the next day - never good, learned the hard way from the OA. It's cleverly written, involves Naren Shankar from The Expanse and Ronald D. Moore of the Battlestar Galactica reboot. Has a great premise and sticks to it, though it is a little more soap opera than space opera and after a while I'm fine with that. The production design and costuming and hair/make-up is thoroughly immersive and the way they mingle real world people and invented characters (including use of the Nixon tapes) is brilliant. It has a few flaws - some characters get a couple of big episodes then disappear for ages. But overall, I'm really enjoying it. Even my wife is into it and she hates spacey sci-fi stuff.

Mare of Easttown is pretty good, though I'm a little confused about Mare's backstory.

ETA: geez, just read an episode 2 recap, and I'm even more confused. Not about Mare, but everyone else.

I need one of those character maps.

ridski said:

Anyway you can get HBO's The Nevers? It's streaming on HBO Max. I'm curious to know what you would think of it. 

Morganna said:

ridski said:

Anyway you can get HBO's The Nevers? It's streaming on HBO Max. I'm curious to know what you would think of it. 

I love steampunk so it intrigues me, but I’m tired of stories of people with “special” powers, so I haven’t fired it up yet.

ridski said:

I love steampunk so it intrigues me, but I’m tired of stories of people with “special” powers, so I haven’t fired it up yet.

Agree on both. I'm all things steampunk but I usually associate the special powers thing with super heroes which is not my thing. Special powers as I associate it with super heroes, is usually pretty GP but this is dark. Keep me posted. I don't know anyone who is watching it and it doesn't fit in any category that I can think of. A  good cast, great costume and set design.

I second the recommendation on For All Mankind.  I especially loved hearing Petula Clark's "The World Song" on the soundtrack at a certain critical juncture.  I'd never heard it before; it's a really charming, uplifting song.  Planning on checking out The Nevers.  I miss Penny Dreadful, and The Nevers seems to be in the same vein.  

Elle_Cee said:

I second the recommendation on For All Mankind.  I especially loved hearing Petula Clark's "The World Song" on the soundtrack at a certain critical juncture.  I'd never heard it before; it's a really charming, uplifting song.  Planning on checking out The Nevers.  I miss Penny Dreadful, and The Nevers seems to be in the same vein.  

I was watching Penny Dreadful and then it seems Showtime dropped it. Glad you reminded me, I'm going to search it out. 

ridski said:

Okay, we totally binged our way through season one of For All Mankind. Absolutely love it. Had to stop on season 2 episode 2 because otherwise we would have pulled an all-nighter with work to go to the next day - never good, learned the hard way from the OA. It's cleverly written, involves Naren Shankar from The Expanse and Ronald D. Moore of the Battlestar Galactica reboot. Has a great premise and sticks to it, though it is a little more soap opera than space opera and after a while I'm fine with that. The production design and costuming and hair/make-up is thoroughly immersive and the way they mingle real world people and invented characters (including use of the Nixon tapes) is brilliant. It has a few flaws - some characters get a couple of big episodes then disappear for ages. But overall, I'm really enjoying it. Even my wife is into it and she hates spacey sci-fi stuff.

I started watching this and I agree, it's pretty captivating. But then, I'm a huge NASA nerd.

Any "Shtisel" fans out there?  It was so well done, and the actress from "Unorthodox" is part of the cast (filmed a few years beforehand).  33 episodes, so well-acted, it was almost like watching a documentary into an unfamiliar world, where universal issues of love, family, etc. are the norm.  I couldn't wait for the next episode--highly recommend it.   https://www.netflix.com/title/81004164

bak said:

Any "Shtisel" fans out there?  It was so well done, and the actress from "Unorthodox" is part of the cast (filmed a few years beforehand).  33 episodes, so well-acted, it was almost like watching a documentary into an unfamiliar world, where universal issues of love, family, etc. are the norm.  I couldn't wait for the next episode--highly recommend it.   https://www.netflix.com/title/81004164

Big fans here. 

If you enjoyed Shtisel, try Srugim on Amazon Prime. I think it's even better. 

cramer said:

Started watching it and I'm intrigued. Finished episode 2. 

Mosquito Coast off to a promising start on Apple+.

drummerboy said:

ridski said:

I started watching this and I agree, it's pretty captivating. But then, I'm a huge NASA nerd.

The season 2 finale is INTENSE, and utterly brilliant. Can't believe I have to wait 2 more years for next season.

ridski said:

drummerboy said:

ridski said:

The season 2 finale is INTENSE, and utterly brilliant. Can't believe I have to wait 2 more years for next season.

Yeah, I just finished season 2 and I thought the finale was pretty great too.

Didn't know it'll be two years though. That sucks.

I read that it'll possibly be ready by Fall 2022.  The actors are all so good, and that's all I'll say because I don't want to give away the show.  Just finished the 2nd season this weekend.  WOW.  Turned our attention to Showtime's City on a Hill, the first season of which hooked us.  Kevin Bacon is giving the performance of his career in this show, which is set in '90s Boston, and deals with the messy, violent interconnected world of police, government and the various factions in the town.  This will keep us occupied until the 6th season of the awe-inspiring British show Line of Duty becomes available on Britbox.  Supposedly, it'll be available mid-May.  No spoilers please.  I read the British papers online, and spoilers are hard to avoid.  The show is a huge, huge hit over there. 

Elle_Cee said:

Turned our attention to Showtime's City on a Hill, the first season of which hooked us.  Kevin Bacon is giving the performance of his career in this show, which is set in '90s Boston, and deals with the messy, violent interconnected world of police, government and the various factions in the town.  

I agree with you about City on a Hill and Kevin Bacon - he's a superb actor.  He has that swagger down pat. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!