What series should I watch next?

cramer said:

eta - We've become fans of Austalian tv - they reallly know how to do it. 

Have you watched OFFSPRING? It's an Australian sitcom that is quite cute, until it becomes terrifically annoying. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

cramer said:

eta - We've become fans of Austalian tv - they reallly know how to do it. 

Have you watched OFFSPRING? It's an Australian sitcom that is quite cute, until it becomes terrifically annoying. 

We loved it.  Rake is another one. 

"The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel" on Netflix. Disturbing and sad but so interesting.

drummerboy said:

Personally, I can't wait for CNN's Searching for Italy series to start on 2/14, w/ Stanley Tucci eating his way through Italy.

ETA: what's kinda funny is that the Tastemade channel is currently running a very similar series about Italy, hosted by David Rocco, who is a Tucci look-alike.

I've dropped in on it once or twice,.  The Italian background makes me salivate (always thought I'd retire there).  It just doesn't hold my interest the way Bourdain did.

"Behind Her Eyes" kinda went south after the 6th episode.

Fleabag.... I liked that one.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

We loved Offspring and A Place To Call Home. Stateless features actors from each of those and is very intense, though not without its detractors. We’ll have to give Rake a try!

zucca said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

We loved Offspring and A Place To Call Home. Stateless features actors from each of those and is very intense, though not without its detractors. We’ll have to give Rake a try!

We've been watching A Place to Call Home on FIOS Channel 21. One of the best - we love it. As I said above, the Australians really know how to do it. 

zucca said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I had to stop watching OFFSPRING because every scene and every episode revolved around Nina's (adorable? zany? annoying?) inability to communicate. I loved Billie, though. 

Billie was wonderful. She was played by Kat Stewart, who has won many awards for her theater and tv work. 

Just started watching Debris, looks very promising.  Also began The Equalizer.  Queen Latifah is certainly 'badass', but I'm still not sold on the premise of the show.  Seems a bit cliche, but I give them points for trying to integrate family values in each episode.  I'm crossing threads here, but I just watched the movie I Care A lot and it was really good.  THAT they could have done as a series and not changed a thing, just sayin.  Seems like an awful waste of good talent to just wrap it up in a movie these days, the series works so much better for a lot of these shows.  Could you imagine Breaking Bad:The Movie?  X-Files: They Are Out there, but it got too cold so they came in for some hot chocolate? 

TheJmon said:

Just started watching Debris, looks very promising.  Also began The Equalizer.  Queen Latifah is certainly 'badass', but I'm still not sold on the premise of the show.  Seems a bit cliche, but I give them points for trying to integrate family values in each episode.  

They're filming The Equalizer on my block this week. It's created havoc for those of us that park on the street. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

They're filming The Equalizer on my block this week. It's created havoc for those of us that park on the street. 

"Cry havoc and let the dogs of war slip!"   Come on, you love it and are trying to get on camera.  So you live in NYC? Say hi to The Queen! L-A-T......

TheJmon said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

"Cry havoc and let the dogs of war slip!"   Come on, you love it and are trying to get on camera.  So you live in NYC? Say hi to The Queen! L-A-T......

Jersey City. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Jersey City. 

Ah, my old hood.  

I was just going to suggest a show called The Following with Kevin Bacon, but it turns out you can't stream it anymore.  I discovered it on Netflix, and have to say it was a pretty awesome and riveting series.  It's moved a few times and now asks you to rent or purchase to watch.  Sort of in the same place as another series that has me scratching my head as to why you can't watch on a streaming service - Smallville.  All things considered, this was a really good show that ended well and could have done wonders on the small screen.  I'd also like to take a moment to recommend the Netflix Daredevil series before they take it off or dilute it on Disney+.  Fingers crossed that they don't, by the way.  I think it all comes down to money and who has the rights to what.  That's probably the answer to all of the above.  

For a complete change of pace, I recommend The Cat Hospital on PBS, now on Prime. Set in Cork, Ireland, the show is like a jacuzzi for the mind, and food for the soul!

cubby said:

"The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel" on Netflix. Disturbing and sad but so interesting.

Where is this streaming?

Thx

mtierney said:

For a complete change of pace, I recommend The Cat Hospital on PBS, now on Prime. Set in Cork, Ireland, the show is like a jacuzzi for the mind, and food for the soul!

Oh, so if I get hooked I can start talking to myself with an Irish accent, rather than the Scottish one acquired from "Outlander"!  Oh "Outlander", I miss you so!  And it sounds like it will be many moons --even years -- before Jamie and Claire and I will meet again --on Netfix.  No Starz at this house.

I will give "Cat Hospital" a look-see.

snowmom said:

cubby said:

Where is this streaming?

Thx

If you google [title] streaming you can usually find out where something is streaming

Netflix in this case.

Or go to justwatch.com

OK, so here is a weird combination of a series and a movie that I'm watching now, and then I have another series to recommend.  I found a show called Unforgettable on Amazon Prime.  The lead is a detective (Poppy Montgomery) in NYC who solves crimes with her incredible memory.  The stories are interesting enough, not sure how many seasons they got out of it, though I'm in Season 2 already.  On the other side of the spectrum (and crossing threads here) I'm watching Still Alice.  Juliana Moore plays a mom with Alzheimers. How's that for a nice contrast?  Watching the movie slowly, because it's played really well and just gets very sad very fast, though a brilliant performance by all in this ensemble cast.  

Amazon also gets a lot of old Cable/USA series, and I keep coming back to one called In Plain Sight.  It's about detectives who run a Witness Protection Program in Arizona, the lead is excellent and has a dysfunctional family of her own to deal with.  The mom is.....well, go watch, I'll keep it a surprise.  She plays a hot mess with a heart.   

There's an old series I finally caught on PBS. Wanted to see Episode 1 so badly that waking in the middle of the night and discovering it was coming on at 5 AM. I stayed up to watch it.

Dickensian.

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but Ted Lasso, for which Jason Sudekis won a Golden Globe, really grew on us big time.  It's mostly a comedy but it's got a real feel good element about it driven by Sudekis' character, who is extremely optimistic and warm-hearted. 

Ted Lasso is one of the best comedies on TV right now, well deserved Golden Globe.  It's nice how they tie in the emotions to it, absolutely brilliant writing.  While you are on Apple TV, check out The Morning Show, a show that will be very familiar to anyone that has watched......you know, that show with the guy who...... question

We binged Ted Lasso on Christmas Day and it was perfect viewing. Started watching again last night. The writing and performances are *chef’s kiss* as the kids say these days.

I've been meaning to watch Lasso. Guess it's time.

drummerboy said:

I've been meaning to watch Lasso. Guess it's time.

Where can one watch it, Disney+ ? 

I don't feel like subscribing to another service. I subscribed to Disney+, I think, to watch The Stand and cancelled after that.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.