What series should I watch next?

ridski said:

I haven't started reading them yet. While fully aware there's a lot happening behind the scenes that I don't know about, I've learned a lot by rewatching seasons 1 and 2. Those first few episodes are DENSE, though, and sometimes I wish I had the subtitles on for the belter creole.

Also the mumbling in general. 

I can’t decide if the acting or the dialogue is worse in Hunters.  God awful in my humble opinion.  

jeffl said:

I can’t decide if the acting or the dialogue is worse in Hunters.  God awful in my humble opinion.  

Yes, it is.

Last night I started re-watching Better Things on Hulu. I forgot how great this is. A show by and about a woman and her sometimes all-too-real challenges professionally and with three very precocious daughters.

McMillions was entertaining - just 6 episodes.  

ridski said:

The Expanse begs to be watched more than once, there is so much going on in the background. The first 5 episodes make no sense on initial watch, really, and I’ll admit it. And I’ll forgive people for not watching it after the first few. I stopped, but eventually pushed on through, and now think this the best sci-fi  (not fantasy) show ever made. Better than Firefly. Better than season 3 of Babylon 5. It just rocks.

This.

We are privileged to live in an age of Sci Fi that is this good.

boomie said:

Mock if you like, but if, like me, you need completely mindless and mind-BOGGLING television at the same time, occasionally...90 Day Fiance on TLC or Hulu does the trick.  You can't make this kinda **** up.  Insane.

Yes!  I'll admit that I'm hooked on this one as well.  I enjoy seeing how people live in the other countries - on top of the drama.  We could probably start a whole community talking about this show.  grin

jeffl said:

Awful, awful series in every way. Very offensive on several levels. And remarkably antisemitic for a series about Nazi hunters!

Agatha Christie fan? Like that guy from Poldark? "And Then There Were None" has an all-star cast (Charles Dance, Sam Neill, Miranda Richardson, Anna Maxwell Martin, Toby Stephens, Burn Gorman, Noah Taylor, Aidan Turner) and a beautiful English house. It's on Acorn and streaming on Prime, among other places.

A number of streaming providers have special trial offers going on.

If you're interested:

https://www.balloon-juice.com/2020/03/24/streaming-services-that-are-free-for-30-days/

YAY! My Brilliant Friend Season 2 has started on HBO. I saw little fanfare about it's being in production but it is back and 'brilliant". Particularly poignant, because of the tragedy unfolding in Italy. 

j_r said:

Agatha Christie fan? Like that guy from Poldark? "And Then There Were None" has an all-star cast (Charles Dance, Sam Neill, Miranda Richardson, Anna Maxwell Martin, Toby Stephens, Burn Gorman, Noah Taylor, Aidan Turner) and a beautiful English house. It's on Acorn and streaming on Prime, among other places.

I tried Acorn and prime and both services are charging more. I am a member of both providers. 

oh man, Brockmire has jumped the shark. ep 1 had some promise, but ep 2 is just horrendous.

I might re-watch the amazing Killing Eve series, as a new one is coming in less than 2 weeks.   Giri/Haji was awfully good.   I had not heard of the Norwegian show "Nobel" about a special forces guy who was in Afghanistan - but got hooked and watched it all in 2 days.  A very good show

Maybe I should try Killing Eve...

Is anyone watching the second season of My Brilliant Friend?  I love everything about it, from the incredible cast, the streets of Italy and the language.  I have no idea where the plot is taking me as I haven't read the books but wherever it going, there is a lot of drama.

Maybe I should try My Brilliant Friend...

drummerboy said:

Maybe I should try My Brilliant Friend...

Yes give it a try!

Morganna said:

Is anyone watching the second season of My Brilliant Friend?  I love everything about it, from the incredible cast, the streets of Italy and the language.  I have no idea where the plot is taking me as I haven't read the books but wherever it going, there is a lot of drama.

My wife loves it and I got hooked.

cramer said:

My wife loves it and I got hooked.

I'm having so much fun listening to the language, some is very familiar, so I'm feeling that it is time to study online. I'm decent but rusty in Spanish and Portuguese, but never spent time studying Italian, maybe because it sounded so familiar, so I'm doing a search online for something very reasonable. 

Ozark, Season 3, is the best one yet! Great series.

Tiger King? on Netflix

Woo Hoo! Gentleman Jack Season Two is expected to air in June!! This plus the return of My Brilliant Friend! Wow.

I will have to wear my top hat for the opening night!

If you like foreign films with sub-titles may I recommend Valhalla Murders (Icelandic) and Heist (Spanish). I know the latter is Neflix but not sure if former is Netflix or Amazon.

STANV said:

If you like foreign films with sub-titles may I recommend Valhalla Murders (Icelandic) and Heist (Spanish). I know the latter is Neflix but not sure if former is Netflix or Amazon.

Hmm, I've been offered a free trial for Netflix but I'm skittish do to the fact that Optimum/Altice who offered it has been impossible to reach for the last month and I worry about trying to cancel. My landline through them breaks up constantly now and I'm stuck with it till this madness ends. Same with my T Mobile service.

And Amazon Prime has surprised many of us by tacking on a subscription fee to our credit cards without our knowledge. It happened to me twice and reaching them is not easy. Sounds crazy right, but I've been unable for months to reach an unwanted magazine subscriber. I'd rather fritter away my rupees on fine chocolate and cheap champagne.

Apologies for the thread drift but there seems to be a lawsuit involving Amazon Prime for their practices. Any order, even those chocolates through Amazon get pushed through Prime and then $13+ charges appear monthly on your card. 

I'm almost done with season 3 of BETTER THINGS and I can't say enough good things about this series. Its funny, and poignant and you feel like you know (or want to know) Sam, the main character, played by Pamela Adilon; who is also the writer.The writing is so natural, as if a day in the life was recorded and re-enacted. It seems to be based on her life with her 3 daughters.

The acting of these three daughters is wonderful even as they're playing annoying, privileged, spoiled brats. 

Also, I just started watching DAMAGES and I'm not sure what I think. I'm 5 episodes in and it's dark and nasty and complex. Great cast, though. Glenn Close, Ted Danson, Rose Byrne, Timothy Olyphant, etc. Certainly very engaging, similarly to SUCCESSION. Anyone else watched or watching it?

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I'm almost done with season 3 of BETTER THINGS and I can't say enough good things about this series. Its funny, and poignant and you feel like you know (or want to know) Sam, the main character, played by Pamela Adilon; who is also the writer.The writing is so natural, as if a day in the life was recorded and re-enacted. It seems to be based on her life with her 3 daughters.

The acting of these three daughters is wonderful even as they're playing annoying, privileged, spoiled brats. 

Also, I just started watching DAMAGES and I'm not sure what I think. I'm 5 episodes in and it's dark and nasty and complex. Great cast, though. Glenn Close, Ted Danson, Rose Byrne, Timothy Olyphant, etc. Certainly very engaging, similarly to SUCCESSION. Anyone else watched or watching it?

I somehow lost track of it after watching a few early episodes but Adilion and the show are great.  She was superb as Louie CK's demented, sort of not-girlfriend in that show.

Please pardon the thread drift, but I have a related question: I'm trying out Hulu because I wanted to check out Season 1 of "Killing Eve." I wanted to pause an episode in progress while watching on my TV. I could not find any way to pause! I've used Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc. and never had this problem. Is there really no way to pause an old episode on Hulu? (This isn't a problem when watching on a laptop, just on TV.)

Btw, I tried Googling the problem, but found no solution. Just other people with the same question.

unicorn33 said:

Please pardon the thread drift, but I have a related question: I'm trying out Hulu because I wanted to check out Season 1 of "Killing Eve." I wanted to pause an episode in progress while watching on my TV. I could not find any way to pause! I've used Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc. and never had this problem. Is there really no way to pause an old episode on Hulu? (This isn't a problem when watching on a laptop, just on TV.)

Btw, I tried Googling the problem, but found no solution. Just other people with the same question.

I haven't had this problem with other Hulu shows.  Have you tried just exiting out of the episode and seeing if you can "resume" where you left off when you go back in?

bub said:

I haven't had this problem with other Hulu shows.  Have you tried just exiting out of the episode and seeing if you can "resume" where you left off when you go back in?

I've watched only one other Hulu show, and oddly enough that particular show did let me pause. But "Killing Eve" just doesn't (and apparently other users have encountered the problem with other shows). 

I will try your suggestion of exiting, either via the Stop button or the Back button. Thank you.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.