What series should I watch next?

We are enjoying Bad Blood on Netflix:

https://www.netflix.com/title/80221787

Best Regards,

Ron Carter

Bingeing on The Fall on Netflix. So scary. Great acting. Into the third season, about a serial killer in Belfast. 

mtierney said:
Bingeing on The Fall on Netflix. So scary. Great acting. Into the third season, about a serial killer in Belfast. 

This is an excellent show. Keeps you hooked right to the very end. 

My Brilliant Friend!  Such a good show!

ElizMcCord said:
I have free HBO for 3 months. What must I consider watching before the promo ends? 
I love GOT, never seen Boardwalk Empire, I liked the SJP Divorce show etc etc. 
thank you kindly. 

The Wire 

Sopranos 

Deadwood 

ElizMcCord said:
I have free HBO for 3 months. What must I consider watching before the promo ends? 
I love GOT, never seen Boardwalk Empire, I liked the SJP Divorce show etc etc. 
thank you kindly. 

Succession 

ElizMcCord said:

mtierney said:
This is an excellent show. Keeps you hooked right to the very end. 

WOW, finished this pm. Don’t want to kill the series for anyone else. But I truly wasn’t expecting this.

Thought The Fall was excellent but it freaked me out and I have yet to finish.

We just finished series 1 & 2 of No Offence on Amazon (Britbox or Acorn, can’t remember which). Smart and funny police dramedy set in Manchester with strong female leads. Looking forward to viewing series 3 when it eventually streams here.

We are also almost close to finished with Still Game on Netflix - a hilarious Scottish sitcom that’s been around since early aughts. An amazing show and we’ve learned a lot of Scottish slang to boot. Och aye the noo

Anyone seen Pine Gap? (My info says it’s on Netflix for you) Kinda has new meaning given this week’s political developments. (Keep in mind the weeks it was shown in Australia, and the time it was actually written.) it’s the sort of stuff I love, considering the actors come from all over the place, not necessarily where the characters originate. 

I think the series is a tad cautious (underplayed), and there’s been some local (Alice Springs) comments about realism but it was good bingeing. 

We’re just starting second season of Mrs Maisel, good fun.

We’ve also enjoyed Mystery Road if you can get that. It’s a Netflix co-production, so I figure there were plans for international release.

bub said:
Thought The Fall was excellent but it freaked me out and I have yet to finish.

Keep going! (Pool rat observation: Gillian Anderson's swimming vastly improves over the three seasons but it might be a body double.)

I'm looking for a new one. I adore Nicola Walker but I can't get into Unforgotten. I also binged Escape at Dannemora and can't wait for the last two episodes. Weird pacing but compelling story line. 

If, like me, you're always on the look out for smart, engaging sci fi, you might want to check out "Travelers" on Netlfix.  I never heard of it before I started watching.  It's basic premise is not all that original but its well done.  For what its worth, based on nine reviews it has a 100% rating on RT.  

Looking forward to season 2 of Counterpart .

Pleased with Counterpart 2 so far.

We like Counterpart but sometimes it gets very confusing. For a minute or two I do not know which world I am watching.

It does get confusing but I'm willing to trust it (for now).  It could go off the rails like many intricate, slowly developing thrillers/mysteries.

Acorn’s Agatha Raisen — a Cotswold Cabot Cove. Fun

LOST said:
We like Counterpart but sometimes it gets very confusing. For a minute or two I do not know which world I am watching.

me too - I get confused on what world I'm in and which version of the character is I'm watching.  

I just watched this awful Australian reality show on Netflix that I could not stop watching.  It's called "Instant Hotel" and they have a group of mostly repulsive people who compete to see who has the best airbnb, which they all stay in at the same time.  The winner gets a trip to California. The place in the first show was in the middle of nowhere and had big windows with no shades, even in the bathroom and a death trap swimming pool out of a Disney movie and lots of bugs. There is also a standard issue host and a professional hospitality expert (is that a real career?) who says what every one else says in a more polished manner and gives them a higher score than she probably really thinks they should get. Everything seems staged and couched for at least minimum drama. So of course the guests all make catty remarks and they explore the local color which in the first episode was a crocodile without any legs who jumped for meat on a stick.  Also a local pub with lots of beards, tattoos and flung beer. 

Can't wait for episode 2. 

Instant Hotel: oh dear. I've just read up on it for you. Yep it's real. In some ways you're better off with My Kitchen Rules, since it's based on that model of reality TV. The host is being replaced next year. (Luke's been there since 2017, he's a former X Factor host))

A note from Wikipedia on the scoring:

Over two rounds, each team will score each other out of ten based on the house, location/nearby attractions, value for money & quality of a good night’s sleep. Series judge, Juliet Ashworth, will score each team out of ten based on the quality of the house. In a twist, the hotel owners will also score the contestants overall on their stay as houseguests which will go towards their final scores. The team that scores the highest at the end of each round will go to the Grand Final.

Edited to add: interesting reaction from Byron Bay mayor and Council, considering how tourism-focussed they are

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/entertainment/channel-7-series-instant-hotel-not-welcome-in-byron-says-mayor/news-story/708f814e77589cda788c29e70d2ac263

joanne said:
Instant Hotel: oh dear. I've just read up on it for you. Yep it's real. In some ways you're better off with My Kitchen Rules, since it's based on that model of reality TV. The host is being replaced next year. (Luke's been there since 2017)

I'm on the last episode!  It's more like Satre's No Exit (Hell is other people) than an escapist tour of luxury real estate.  They have nothing in common and can't stand each other, but hard to disagree with the reasoning.  The competition scoring is not fair because the wide variations are hard to compare and everyone whines and back stabs and looks miserable. I'm sure they will replace the host with an exact copy, probably he wanted a raise.  He does almost nothing and won't be missed.  The fake professional critic does a good job of faking professional criticism.  She adds some much needed structure, cause the rest of them are out of control. 

when you read background articles, they weren't told where they were going until time to go; weren't given guidelines for scoring; weren't given any objective measures for their own set-ups or rentals...  I can't believe they're back next year. 

Their Facebook and website pages are low-'liked' so I'm not sure how well rated this is.  The industry judge has a very small 'boutique' place in one capital city but I think she's known for PR or industry/association stuff. 

I think there's strong $$$ behind this to drive longevity, perhaps for an airline or between NZ and here?

Edited to say: I got the judge's business all wrong! Here's her business:

http://chada.com.au. Plus she edited Australian Vogue for a while, a long time ago.

Don't know if any of this helps:

https://tvtonight.com.au/2017/11/instant-hotel-i-wanted-to-walk-out.html

Oh!

I just realised! Seven (who co-developed it) is a Murdoch station, I think.

joanne said:
when you read background articles, they weren't told where they were going until time to go; weren't given guidelines for scoring; weren't given any objective measures for their own set-ups or rentals...  I can't believe they're back next year. 
Their Facebook and website pages are low-'liked' so I'm not sure how well rated this is.  The industry judge has a very small 'boutique' place in one capital city but I think she's known for PR or industry/association stuff. 
I think there's strong $$$ behind this to drive longevity, perhaps for an airline or between NZ and here?
Edited to say: I got the judge's business all wrong! Here's her business:
http://chada.com.au. Plus she edited Australian Vogue for a while, a long time ago.

It's horrible, but I like it.   Also, I'm reading a David Sedaris book and I feel like I can hear him narrating it in the back.  It seems like the kind of show he would like.  Or hate. 

I just stumbled into The Last Kingdom, historical fiction about 9th Century England. I love it but it's a period I know nothing about -- it feels like I need a Further Reading list!

j_r said:
I just stumbled into The Last Kingdom, historical fiction about 9th Century England. I love it but it's a period I know nothing about -- it feels like I need a Further Reading list!

You might get a little more background by reading the Bernard Cornwell books. I loved them! 

If you've caught any of Tony Robinson and the Time Team's archaeology of various ruins around the UK, the series will be breathing life into that period. cheese

anyone watch The Orville?

I watched it long after it was first mentioned here, and given mixed reviews, but I really liked Killing Eve and am looking forward to Season 2.   I thought it got better and better as it went along.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.