What series should I watch next?

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

jeffl said:
somebody feed Phil.   Just watch it.  
 Tuning it in now based on this minimal reco. 

Sorry.  I really should have given a little more info.

When I first started it I thought it was going to be a Anthony Bourdain Lite.  But this guy is incredibly goofy, which I thought was going to turn me off.  But he is SO goofy that it's hilarious.  Think Marty Feldman meets Rick Steves meets Woody Allen.  And once in a while he FaceTimes his Jewish parents, which is LOL funny.  The places are beautiful.  The food looks incredible.  There's a little bit of cooking.  It was a total homerun for me.

I totally agree about SOMEBODY FEED PHIL. I can't believe how much we enjoyed it. He's hilarious and charming, and the bits with his parents are great. And the food!!!

jeffl said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

jeffl said:
somebody feed Phil.   Just watch it.  
 Tuning it in now based on this minimal reco. 
 Sorry.  I really should have given a little more info.

When I first started it I thought it was going to be a Anthony Bourdain Lite.  But this guy is incredibly goofy, which I thought was going to turn me off.  But he is SO goofy that it's hilarious.  Think Marty Feldman meets Rick Steves meets Woody Allen.  And once in a while he FaceTimes his Jewish parents, which is LOL funny.  The places are beautiful.  The food looks incredible.  There's a little bit of cooking.  It was a total homerun for me.

I've only watched one episode so far and your description above seems right on. I'll keep watching, although I'm watching so much.

Have you seen NAILED IT on Netflix? It's a hysterical competitive pastry cooking show.

ElizMcCord said:

Thanks for the Reco. It’s intense. I’m on the 3rd episode. The whole ma’am thing is mad annoying lol. 

Yes. We kept commenting on how there were so many Moms!

wait. Somebody Feed Phil is the name of a show?

drummerboy said:
wait. Somebody Feed Phil is the name of a show?

Yes - it's a play on Everybody Loves Raymond. The eponymous Phil is Phil Rosenthal who was the writer/creator of Everybody Loves Raymond.

I've now watched 4 episodes on HOMECOMING on Amazon. After all the hype and stuff I'm not finding it very compelling. I'm not a fan of Julia Roberts - I've always found her a mediocre actor and not very attractive - so that isn't getting me excited. Has anyone watched more of it? Does it get better or more interesting?

I just started The Tunnel on Prime. It's a British/French detective collaboration with ghastly clues. Good so far!

It was a good followup to the unsatisfying conclusion of the increasingly ridiculous second season of Ozark.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:
I've now watched 4 episodes on HOMECOMING on Amazon. After all the hype and stuff I'm not finding it very compelling. I'm not a fan of Julia Roberts - I've always found her a mediocre actor and not very attractive - so that isn't getting me excited. Has anyone watched more of it? Does it get better or more interesting?

We thought Homecoming was brilliant. I don't recall exactly what was going on in episode 4, but watch for Lip to become a more central figure.

I'm sorry Julia Roberts isn't exciting for you.

debby said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:
 We thought Homecoming was brilliant. I don't recall exactly what was going on in episode 4, but watch for Lip to become a more central figure.

Thanks for the input. Perhaps I'll watch a few more episodes. So far, nothing has really happened. My fear was that the producers thought that having Julia Roberts on the screen was enough to entice viewers. (What is it with JR? Why do people make a fuss? She's not a great actress.)

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

debby said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Thanks for the input. Perhaps I'll watch a few more episodes. So far, nothing has really happened. My fear was that the producers thought that having Julia Roberts on the screen was enough to entice viewers. (What is it with JR? Why do people make a fuss? She's not a great actress.)

I loved the podcast and really loving the series.  I think the scenes with Heidi and Cruz are great. Julia Roberts is good by me.  

I was gobsmacked at the end of Marcella, the British dectective with major personal issues. As in most Brit detective mysteries, there are two many twists and way too many bodies for my taste. But the ending was a real shocker. I have not checked if there will be another season.

jeffl said:

I loved the podcast and really loving the series.  I think the scenes with Heidi and Cruz are great. Julia Roberts is good by me.  

Any reason to listen to the podcast if I already watched the series? I started listening but couldn't tell whether it would shed new light or be the same thing all over again.

mtierney said:
I was gobsmacked at the end of Marcella, the British dectective with major personal issues. As in most Brit detective mysteries, there are two many twists and way too many bodies for my taste. But the ending was a real shocker. I have not checked if there will be another season.

The ending of Marcella left me with mouth actually hanging open.  On one hand I can't wait for a new season, on the other I'm not sure I want to go there...it went really dark...and she's such a good actress I could feel her pain and anguish and desperation.  Not sure I can handle it. 

zucca said:

jeffl said:

Any reason to listen to the podcast if I already watched the series? I started listening but couldn't tell whether it would shed new light or be the same thing all over again.

Nah. 

I started a thread about this- The Haunting of Hill House. Loved it. You have to like real horror though. Not gory per se but downright, keep-you-up-all-night scary. A really compelling portrait of a family and mental illness wrapped in suspenseful, twisty-turny horror show (including one of the best film twists ever)

Tunnel is great, 3rd season just came out a while ago, but it requires another subscription, so I think I'll wait it out.

Agree also about Marcella.  I've read that there probably won't be another season, but not 100% certain of that.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

debby said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:
 We thought Homecoming was brilliant. I don't recall exactly what was going on in episode 4, but watch for Lip to become a more c, I'll have you entral figure.

I watched a few more episodes of Homecoming and I still don't get it. I'll give it one or two more and then I'm back to Season 7 of NYPD Blue. Seven of twelve I'll have you know. 22 episodes a season. I'm dreaming about Andy Sipowitz. I'm talking like Andy. And I'm beginning to wear polyester short-sleeved shirts with crappy ties.

Also, I'm loving season two of Big Mouth. Hysterically funny and profoundly profane. Great cast.

jeffl said:

zucca said:

jeffl said:

Nah. 

Thanks for saving me on that! 

Bodyguard on Netflix is amazing. Perfect bingeworthy series. I hope there will be a second season. Same showrunner as Line of Duty starring the actor who plays Robb Stark on GOT and Keeley Hawes.

binged the entirety of THE KOMINSKY METHOD yesterday on Netflix. I thought it was wonderful. Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin. I highly recommend it. 

I love The Tick on Amazon.  Very silly and funny.

The Bodyguard was amazing. Anyone try ‘The Final Table’?

The Good Place.   Man Ted Danson just gets better and better.

Agree on The Kominsky Method and The Good Place.  

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

debby said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I love Julia Roberts. For this reason I try to watch anything she’s in and usually I come out ahead. Homecoming? It was painful to watch I kept falling asleep whenever the scene didn’t involve Heidi and Cruz. They have good chemistry. The rest of the show sucked. 

ElizMcCord said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

debby said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I love Julia Roberts. For this reason I try to watch anything she’s in and usually I come out ahead. Homecoming? It was painful to watch I kept falling asleep whenever the scene didn’t involve Heidi and Cruz. They have good chemistry. The rest of the show sucked. 

Yay! Someone agrees w me on this one! 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

binged the entirety of THE KOMINSKY METHOD yesterday on Netflix. I thought it was wonderful. Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin. I highly recommend it. 

I binged watched this today with my mother and sister.  Great post-Thanksgiving series.  

The Russian 12 part series, “The Road to Calvary,” is amazing. An epic production on a Hollywood scale. No “Lara,” but Tolstoy’s Daria and Catherine are equally fascinating characters.

Any good Christmas movies? All the ones on Netflix read like really bad Hallmark greeting cards. I can never make it to the end of any of them. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.