What's the best musical cover ever?

Rediscovered this one the other day. Chills followed.

The original by the Association is one of my favorite pop singles of the 60s.

So many covers, so hard to choose. One could do a thread just on Bob Dylan covers. Here's a cover by Joe Cocker of a beautiful song from Dylan's "Oh Mercy" recording. 

Here's another great Dylan cover, a live performance by Bonnie Raitt, a marvellous interpreter of songs and of Dylan songs. 

And you must see this. Jacob Collier doing Lionel Ritchie's "All Night Long.: The 7+ -minute song and video are truly joyous, brilliant and stunning. I'm a huge Collier fan, I think he's the Stevie Wonder of the digital age. Keep your eyes open for Lionel, he pops up a few times. And for Collier's love of hats. (And listen up for cuica, used here and there throughout.)

And as a reminder, here's Ritchie's original 1983 video, very advanced in terms of dance styles, race and multi-ethnicity. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

And you must see this. Jacob Collier doing Lionel Ritchie's "All Night Long.: The 7+ -minute song and video are truly joyous, brilliant and stunning. I'm a huge Collier fan, I think he's the Stevie Wonder of the digital age. Keep your eyes open for Lionel, he pops up a few times. And for Collier's love of hats. (And listen up for cuica, used here and there throughout.)

Sorry guys, but yikes.

ridski said:

Sorry guys, but yikes.

Yikes, meaning...? 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Yikes, meaning...? 

Mildly, not a fan of his style, if that's what he does. But I get why you and others would dig it.

ridski said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Yikes, meaning...? 

Mildly, not a fan of his style, if that's what he does. But I get why you and others would dig it.

Gotcha.

bub said:

The original by the Association is one of my favorite pop singles of the 60s.

yup

At this point maybe change the thread title?

I can't believe I had not mentioned these. The Smithereens covered not one, but two classic albums Meet The Beatles (in its entirety) and Tommy (almost in its entirety). 

Is there a category for prog rock covers?

A few I love:

The Sundays' cover of the Rolling Stones ... 

Saint Etienne's cover of Neil Young ...

And from before they just started doing "Danni California" over and over and over again, the Red Hot Chili Peppers' cover of Stevie Wonder: 

I love covers. Here's a link to a Spotify playlist that I made with 17 covers that I particularly like. 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/76QUkALhIiGLf6qS8p82U1?si=f3606ed6c48f4943

Always interested in feedback. Enjoy. 

kenboy said:

A few I love:

The Sundays' cover of the Rolling Stones ... 

Saint Etienne's cover of Neil Young ...

And from before they just started doing "Danni California" over and over and over again, the Red Hot Chili Peppers' cover of Stevie Wonder: 

that Sundays cover is one of my favorite covers of the Stones

Live covers by some contemporary R&B/Soul groups.  Rachel Price of Lake Street Dive just brings it.  Black Pumas not too shabby either:

bub said:

Live covers by some contemporary R&B/Soul groups.  Rachel Price of Lake Street Dive just brings it.  Black Pumas not too shabby either: 

Wow, enjoyed all three.  Thanks. 

Billy Stewart - Summertime 

Highway 61 Revisited - Johnny Winter 

drummerboy said:

That’s a particularly well played, sharp-looking video clip from the era. Carmine Appice, man.

Thanks for exhuming it.

DaveSchmidt said:

drummerboy said:

That’s a particularly well played, sharp-looking video clip from the era. Carmine Appice, man.

Thanks for exhuming it.

yer welcome

and now, a little history lesson

drummerboy said:

and now, a little history lesson

Wow, that was fun and interesting. I always knew that Twist & Shout had been recorded by the Isely  Brothers but knew nothing about the Top Notes. The guitarist on theTop Notes version was the late John Pizzarelli aka Bucky Pizzarelli. I just saw his son John Pizzarelli at the Blue Note last weekend. The son is from NJ and is well know for this cover:

Maybe not the "best ever"..but some fun ones that came to mind:

Knock on wood:  Amii Stewart

Don't go breaking my heart:  Q-tip and Demi Lovato

Landslide:  The Smashing Pumpkins

I would also like to add that the worst covers involve lady gaga and Miley Cyrus or anyone for that matter, covering Elton John anything. 

Starsong said:

I would also like to add that the worst covers involve lady gaga and Miley Cyrus or anyone for that matter, covering Elton John anything. 

With two possible exceptions: Aretha Franklin’s Border Song …

… and did someone mention Don’t Go Breaking My Heart by Q-Tip and Demi Lovato? 

DaveSchmidt said:

With two possible exceptions: Aretha Franklin’s Border Song …

… and did someone mention Don’t Go Breaking My Heart by Q-Tip and Demi Lovato? 

you got me lol..I said fun, not terrific...

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.