The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

Goodness, this is just sad to read.   What’s sadder is the unquestioning level of ‘media literacy’ or basic critical thinking skills in both your nation and mine.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/oct/17/rigged-review-mollie-hemingway-donald-trump

mtierney - what items in the Republican's agenda would directly affect you?  What are they currently bringing to the table?  I could probably include a dozen or so items in the Democrats agenda that could affect you directly, like - including dental, vision and hearing into Medicare.

joanne said:

Goodness, this is just sad to read.   What’s sadder is the unquestioning level of ‘media literacy’ or basic critical thinking skills in both your nation and mine.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/oct/17/rigged-review-mollie-hemingway-donald-trump

"Hemingway’s is an immovable feast. It’s about owning the libs."

It is a great review of a disgusting piece of trash.

That is a good line.

GoSlugs said:

GoSlugs said:

They just don’t make spellers like Papa anymore. 

DaveSchmidt said:

GoSlugs said:

They just don’t make spellers like Papa anymore. 

Back in the day when copying editing was part of the job, I found that even journalism grads had trouble with contractions: it, it is, its, for example. I believe elementary and high schools have not taught grammar for several decades. Colleges assume the students have. 

Spell check makes us cringe at times. surprised

mtierney said:

Back in the day when copying editing was part of the job …

All that said —

Ernest was not a silent E. Yet he slipped one into A Moveable Feast.

Umm, the Hemingway referred to above isn’t Papa, however, and often her ‘finer’ editorial decisions can be questionable. (This quality has apparently carried over to her book)

joanne said:

Umm, the Hemingway referred to above isn’t Papa, however, and often her ‘finer’ editorial decisions can be questionable. (This quality has apparently carried over to her book)

The article's author was referring to Mollie, with a clever allusion to one of Papa's works.

The "moveable/immovable" comparison is a detour.

So moving back to US perceptions of our police state conditions, have you heard about the spat between Ted Cruz and the Chief Minister of the Northern Territory, Michael Gunner??

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/oct/18/northern-territory-chief-minister-and-us-senator-ted-cruz-in-twitter-spat-over-covid-vaccines
We’re chortling here, thinking Senator Ted shoulda been a bit less public until he had all the information - or had at least watched all the Jimmy Rees ‘Meanwhile in Australia’ clips! (Excellent comic commentary on the political and social upheavals around Australia since the beginning of last year; now up to Part 39, on YouTube) 

It's a little known fact that Ted Cruz is our designated Ugly American.

joanne said:

So moving back to US perceptions of our police state conditions, have you heard about the spat between Ted Cruz and the Chief Minister of the Northern Territory, Michael Gunner??

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/oct/18/northern-territory-chief-minister-and-us-senator-ted-cruz-in-twitter-spat-over-covid-vaccines
We’re chortling here, thinking Senator Ted shoulda been a bit less public until he had all the information - or had at least watched all the Jimmy Rees ‘Meanwhile in Australia’ clips! (Excellent comic commentary on the political and social upheavals around Australia since the beginning of last year; now up to Part 39, on YouTube) 

nohero said:

joanne said:

also, there's this from Al Franken's memoir:

Here's the thing you have to understand about Ted Cruz, I like Ted Cruz more than most of my other colleagues like Ted Cruz. And I hate Ted Cruz.

nohero said:

I don't like to comment on people's appearances but it is like this is a role that he was born to play.

mtierney said:

While the recent conversation has been interesting, this Slate story, part 1 of 2, reads like a work of fiction by Phillip Kerr or Anton Chekhov. also evocative of The Americans TV series.

But this isn’t fiction!

https://taibbi.substack.com/p/konstantin-kilimnik-russiagates-last

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/18/media/sinclair-ransomware/index.html

Can’t recall the last time I read an article so demonstrative of comradeship and remembrance among veterans who feel betrayed by the “ending” of the 20 year old Afghanistan war. What these veterans and fellow Americans, networking together, have established, to right a wrong, is a story which needs to be heard.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/19/world/us-veterans-afghan-evacuation.html

“In pulling out of Afghanistan, President Biden declared that he would not pass the conflict to another president and another generation. He would bring closure. But the shambolic withdrawal and the failure to evacuate thousands of now threatened Afghans whose help was essential to the American effort has only deepened the alienation felt by many veterans.

“Mr. Sappenfield’s emotions rise and fall with each message from P, who tried and failed three times to reach the Abbey Gate, one of the Kabul airport’s main entries, during the American evacuation.

“I tell my students in 11th grade that they are the only ones who can betray their integrity,” Mr. Sappenfield said. “It’s theirs to give away if they choose to lie or cheat. But in this case, someone else broke my word for me. It just irritates the heck out of me.”

“One Marine, who requested anonymity because he is still in the service, put it this way: You lose two rifles at the Camp Lejeune Marines training base and the entire chain of command is relieved. But you lose tens of billions of dollars’ worth of weapons now in the hands of the Taliban, 13 service members (10 of them Marines) in the Aug. 26 terrorist attack at Kabul airport, and you lose America’s longest war, and there seems to be no reckoning.”

mtierney said:

Can’t recall the last time I read an article so demonstrative of comradeship and remembrance among veterans who feel betrayed by the “ending” of the 20 year old Afghanistan war. What these veterans and fellow Americans, networking together, have established, to right a wrong, is a story which needs to be heard.

“In pulling out of Afghanistan, President Biden declared that he would not pass the conflict to another president and another generation. He would bring closure. But the shambolic withdrawal and the failure to evacuate thousands of now threatened Afghans whose help was essential to the American effort has only deepened the alienation felt by many veterans.

“Mr. Sappenfield’s emotions rise and fall with each message from P, who tried and failed three times to reach the Abbey Gate, one of the Kabul airport’s main entries, during the American evacuation.

“I tell my students in 11th grade that they are the only ones who can betray their integrity,” Mr. Sappenfield said. “It’s theirs to give away if they choose to lie or cheat. But in this case, someone else broke my word for me. It just irritates the heck out of me.”

“One Marine, who requested anonymity because he is still in the service, put it this way: You lose two rifles at the Camp Lejeune Marines training base and the entire chain of command is relieved. But you lose tens of billions of dollars’ worth of weapons now in the hands of the Taliban, 13 service members (10 of them Marines) in the Aug. 26 terrorist attack at Kabul airport, and you lose America’s longest war, and there seems to be no reckoning.”

Remember that Afghanistan peace treaty that was brokered by Pompeo - where is the outrage on that deal from these servicemen?  The author of this piece in 2008 said that the Afghan people can win this war themselves.  You can also find a handful of servicemen who feel the exact opposite.

mtierney said:

what else are these folks going to say?  That they recognize that their service in Afghanistan was a futile effort from the start?

I have sympathy for them, but their view of the war and its conclusion is obviously extremely biased.

ml1 said:

what else are these folks going to say?

I can only imagine what Trump would say. Actually, no need to imagine -- his contempt for service members is well documented. I do wonder, though, why someone who proudly supports Trump is pretending to care about our service members?

Let's give mtierney one more chance to demonstrate her non-violent inclinations.

65 NYPD officers guilty of misconduct during George Floyd protests, CCRB finds

NEW YORK — Dozens of NYPD officers should be disciplined for their acts during the Black Lives Matter protests after George Floyd’s death, the police department’s oversight agency ruled Monday.

The Civilian Complaint Review Board recommended the highest level of discipline against 37 officers and less severe discipline against another 28 officers. More officers could be guilty, but the CCRB was unable to investigate more than a third of complaints because they couldn’t identify the officers; many failed to follow protocol during the protests and covered their names and shields.
NYPD sued over aggressive tactics against protesters after George Floyd death

“After fully investigating over a hundred cases, the CCRB continues its commitment to investigating, and when necessary, prosecuting the officers responsible for committing misconduct against New Yorkers during last year’s Black Lives Matter protests,” CCRB Chair Fred Davie said. “The APU is prepared to move forward with trials for the 37 officers who have received the highest level of disciplinary recommendations, as soon as the NYPD serves officers.”

After the protests, people said they’d suffered broken arms, a fractured eye socket, a concussion, nerve damage and deep lacerations because of the actions of NYPD officers.

I wonder what the venn diagram of these officers and the unvaxxed is.

No I don't.

Meanwhile, back in Afghanistan …

A woman hands her toddler over to a man to whom she owes money …

Hospitals have no supplies, no medicine…

Medical staff do not get paid…

The Taliban government has said it will permit humanitarian aid, food, etc, into the country, but without quid pro quo required. Women’s rights are not negotiable. 

Are the government officials, being housed, fed, clothed? Are the soldiers receiving similar services? Will humanitarian aid reach the desperate civilians, or the Taliban?

Will cash flow begin when the billions of dollars worth of military equipment left behind are bartered, traded,  and sold to other nations in the Middle East?

What will happened to our Afghan allies and friends left behind and abandoned?

The poll numbers of our former POTUS compared to Biden is a really dumb concern IMHO when Afghanistan crisis and chaos exist in real time.

https://apple.news/A_1ty-JG3QWG4Z9WHdsFGkQ

Another chance whiffed.

PVW said:

Another chance whiffed.

No, I responded. I am attempting to stay on the topic of Afghanistan. The knee jerk response of Dems (the various components in the party) is to deflect and blame Trump!

How are Biden’s poll numbers holding up after nine months in office?

Literally all you would need to say is "police officers shouldn't be breaking people's arms and fracturing their eye sockets." But sure, if you want to talk about Afghanistan, maybe you can get around to explaining why it's only once Trump left office that you're suddenly so concerned about it. Come off it -- after witnessing your unwavering support for a man who who mocks military service members, betrays our allies, and attacks our democracy we're supposed to believe you give a fig for any of this?

I can't read the WSJ article - have another source?  I'm happy to hear you're concerned about Afghanistan now - where was your concern the past 20 years?  You hardly mentioned it during the T**** years.  

And then you get mad when we bring up what he did - his whole campaign was getting out of everywhere.  Did you not agree with this?  Geez  Pick a lane.

For comparison:  What about the Oct- Nov 2019 abrupt exit/partial return to Syria, that abandoned the Kurds, exposed the country to Turkey’s whimsical predation, and also (from memory) left heaps of materiel and equipment just wherever they happened to be because there was no time to arrange transport home?? 
i don’t remember much supporters’ criticism of that president at the time, just surprise/shock/questioning for greater transparency from other political perspectives.  

jamie

Oct 19, 2021 at 11:11pm

I can't read the WSJ article - have another source? I'm happy to hear you're concerned about Afghanistan now - where was your concern the past 20 years? You hardly mentioned it during the T**** years.

jamie, sorry, I cannot find another source. The article should be required reading.

Another excerpt..

“If Not Me, Then Who?

Did our service matter?

The question gnawed at Lt. Gen. Lawrence Nicholson as he drafted a letter in August to the men and women with the 2nd Marine Expeditionary Brigade who fought alongside him in Afghanistan. “Nothing,” he wrote, “can diminish your selfless service to our nation.”

Nothing — not the Taliban’s sweeping takeover after two decades of war, not the desperate Afghans falling from planes, not disbelief that Afghanistan had fallen overnight to the same enemy that the Americans had vanquished 20 years ago.

“I felt I had to say to the guys, ‘Hey, get your heads up,’” said General Nicholson, who retired as a three-star in 2018. Recalling the 92 Marines who died under his command in Helmand Province, the 2,461 American service members overall who died in Afghanistan and the untold treasure lost, he wrote to his fellow Marines:

“You raised your hand and said, ‘IF NOT ME, THEN WHO?’”

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.