The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

jimmurphy said:

drummerboy said:

Is it only me who thinks there are two people posting under mt's account?

Nah, just one conflicted person.

with two completely different posting styles. OK.

drummerboy said:

Examples of the non-cat meme persona?

To all of the above responders: I am one person, writing on this thread since 2012, however, a MOL member since it was dial-up back some 20+ years or so ago. I had an assumed “handle” back in the day, and the motivator was the first townwide tax reassessment in decades! There were mobs of crazed people on the steps of The Municipal Building and the mayor used a bullhorn to communicate! No iphones for communication; the News-Record did run two or three full pages of letters to the editor.

My credentials re immigration are sound. Father’s family fled starvation and discrimination in Ireland in the 1880s; mother’s parents left Austria in 1905, leaving behind three children with their grandparents. My Mom and her siblings made the trip to NYC in 1911, after her parents had jobs and a home in Greenwich Village.

Oh, although opportunity and survival was in America, there was no welcome mat awaiting immigrants — I remember my Mom telling me that a quick medical exam upon arrival had some immigrants returned because of  contagious “pink eye”. My father told me about the job offering signs in windows saying “no Irish need apply.” He later became a soldier and fought in seven major battles of WW1 — I still have his medals! Bit ironic that he married an Austrian woman in 1919!

drummerboy said:

And CHTP is terp. OK.

Don’t waste your ear on writing.

mtierney said:

To continue where we left off….

https://taibbi.substack.com/p/the-news-is-americas-new-religion

Stupid premise in the Taibbi piece, which his narrative doesn't support.

And his passive-aggressive racism and sexism is per his usual output.

mtierney said:

To continue where we left off….

https://taibbi.substack.com/p/the-news-is-americas-new-religion

From the article:

By the time Trump arrived, there was only one route left for media companies, who’d lost ad revenue to Internet platforms, to make money: putting content behind a paywall. Essentially, news companies passed a hat and asked for donations, just like churches.

At the end of the article:

This is an excerpt from today’s subscriber-only post. To read the entire article and get full access to the archives, you can subscribe for $5 a month or $50 a year.

mtierney
said:

The starving Irish in the 1880s and other immigrants were welcomed in NY

mtierney said:

Oh, although opportunity and survival was in America, there was no welcome mat awaiting immigrants 

Using a clip of Jessica Savitch, Taibbi claims, “This is how news people sounded before that switch.”

No. That’s specifically how Jessica Savitch, a woman struggling with cocaine addiction and some other issues, sounded three weeks before her death in a car accident. The clip is remembered because it was an exception, not because it represented the norm, as Taibbi exploits it.

jimmurphy said:

I’ve stated here before that I don’t believe that she agrees with many of the Republican positions at all, save one. Because of that one she has to go through mental gymnastics to justify her support of the Republicans despite all of the vile positions they hold. 

I thought that post revealed some true feelings, despite the inconsistency with her “team’s” positions.

Not sure how much feelings are worth in the face of always acting in opposition to them if that's what her team requires. I might extend some credit if she ever even acknowledged any kind of struggle here, but she's all Darth Vader "there is no conflict" about it.

DaveSchmidt said:

drummerboy said:

And CHTP is terp. OK.

I don't think that anymore.

ml1 said:

mtierney
said:

The starving Irish in the 1880s and other immigrants were welcomed in NY

mtierney said:

Oh, although opportunity and survival was in America, there was no welcome mat awaiting immigrants 

Selective quoting, incomplete sentences, attempts to put words in someone’s mouth, is so  going lowdown to make a point. Not to forget, unsanitary in our pandemic era. Do you wear a mask while posting?

drummerboy said:

DaveSchmidt said:

drummerboy said:

And CHTP is terp. OK.

I don't think that anymore.

PVW said:

jimmurphy said:

I’ve stated here before that I don’t believe that she agrees with many of the Republican positions at all, save one. Because of that one she has to go through mental gymnastics to justify her support of the Republicans despite all of the vile positions they hold. 

I thought that post revealed some true feelings, despite the inconsistency with her “team’s” positions.

Not sure how much feelings are worth in the face of always acting in opposition to them if that's what her team requires. I might extend some credit if she ever even acknowledged any kind of struggle here, but she's all Darth Vader "there is no conflict" about it.

I believe you are talking about apples and pears. I know the topic the poster referred — which, BTW, is non-negotiable in my mind.

If I were a Democrat, watching what’s going on in Washington right this moment, I would be exhausted, and stunned at the cowtowing to progressive and liberal virtual blackmailing.

The Democrats might explore a renaming of their party — or opt to pull up their big boy pants and show newbies how to negotiate.

mtierney said:

Selective quoting, incomplete sentences, attempts to put words in someone’s mouth, is so  going lowdown to make a point. Not to forget, unsanitary in our pandemic era. Do you wear a mask while posting?

the full quotes are just as contradictory.

mtierney
said:

Ml1’s comment —

“I don't know that this is factually true. While at any given time there may be 50,000 at the border, many of the people who arrive have made multiple attempts.”

So, are you deducing that some of the same migrants making multiple trips are swelling the numbers?

There was a time when the US opened immigration to fill population needs in America, quid pro quo, teachers, scientists, engineers, etc. That was certainly true in the ‘30s-40s when Hitler set out to take over the world. The starving Irish in the 1880s and other immigrants were welcomed in NY and virtually conscripted into building the new subway system, road and street construction, etc. They came to work, settle here, and take on tough and growing need for police and fire department personnel.

No one asked me, but I would give DACA dreamers citizenship, they are here, contributing, and have been a political tease long enough.

I would grant our immigrant workforce which arrive seasonally, leaving behind their families, a chance at citizenship as well. Working and living year round with family here would produce healthier results for all.

Sanctimonious condemnation of immigrant control measures prevents rational discussion.

and then this, only hours later.

mtierney said:

To all of the above responders: I am one person, writing on this thread since 2012, however, a MOL member since it was dial-up back some 20+ years or so ago. I had an assumed “handle” back in the day, and the motivator was the first townwide tax reassessment in decades! There were mobs of crazed people on the steps of The Municipal Building and the mayor used a bullhorn to communicate! No iphones for communication; the News-Record did run two or three full pages of letters to the editor.

My credentials re immigration are sound. Father’s family fled starvation and discrimination in Ireland in the 1880s; mother’s parents left Austria in 1905, leaving behind three children with their grandparents. My Mom and her siblings made the trip to NYC in 1911, after her parents had jobs and a home in Greenwich Village.

Oh, although opportunity and survival was in America, there was no welcome mat awaiting immigrants — I remember my Mom telling me that a quick medical exam upon arrival had some immigrants returned because of  contagious “pink eye”. My father told me about the job offering signs in windows saying “no Irish need apply.” He later became a soldier and fought in seven major battles of WW1 — I still have his medals! Bit ironic that he married an Austrian woman in 1919!

ml1 said:

“My father told me about the job offering signs in windows saying “no Irish need apply.”

When they try to justify their disdain for the “colored” new immigrants, they stumble all over the place. Just like these southern states today complaining about undocumented illegals…nobody said a word when they were bringing the undocumented illegals from Africa. 

mtierney said:

I believe you are talking about apples and pears. I know the topic the poster referred — which, BTW, is non-negotiable in my mind.

If I were a Democrat, watching what’s going on in Washington right this moment, I would be exhausted, and stunned at the cowtowing to progressive and liberal virtual blackmailing.

The Democrats might explore a renaming of their party — or opt to pull up their big boy pants and show newbies how to negotiate.

you've got it backwards.  The so-called "moderates" are the ones holding up the infrastructure bills and blackmailing the caucus.  There was a deal among all the Democrats to vote to move forward on both bills, and it is the likes of Manchin and Sinema who reneged on their end of the deal.  I know the media likes to blame all failures on progressives, but that is NOT what happened.

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

you've got it backwards.  The so-called "moderates" are the ones holding up the infrastructure bills and blackmailing the caucus.  There was a deal among all the Democrats to vote to move forward on both bills, and it is the likes of Manchin and Sinema who reneged on their end of the deal.  I know the media likes to blame all failures on progressives, but that is NOT what happened.

what would she know about it? When was the last time the R's tried to pass legislation that helped anyone? (apart from tax cuts for the rich)

mtierney said:

See -- not even a smidgen of acknowledgement that her stated beliefs and her actions are ever at odds. You have to be some kind of an empty vessel to never experience any dissonance between your personal views and those of the teams and organizations you ally yourself to, regardless of how strongly you may identify with them. Hollow all the way through, apparently.

PVW said:

See -- not even a smidgen of acknowledgement that her stated beliefs and her actions are ever at odds. You have to be some kind of an empty vessel to never experience any dissonance between your personal views and those of the teams and organizations you ally yourself to, regardless of how strongly you may identify with them. Hollow all the way through, apparently.

Way too head-shrinkey for me to ponder over on such a beautiful day!

Meanwhile, Biden appears to be doing his best to make matters even worse.

Whoever okayed the zero cost figure tag line should be cut loose!i

https://nypost.com/2021/10/02/weak-joe-biden-caves-to-loony-left-goodwin/

What now? Who is left to fix Afghanistan? Isolationism just may be the only solution for world peace. Twenty years, so many deaths, flushed away, leaving only pain and suffering, and loss.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/04/world/asia/taliban-women-afghanistan.html

mtierney said:

What now? Who is left to fix Afghanistan? Isolationism just may be the only solution for world peace. Twenty years, so many deaths, flushed away, leaving only pain and suffering, and loss.

I assume you're directly addressing Pompeo and the previous admin who signed the deal directly with the Taliban and ignored the Afghan government. These guys really had no clue about diplomacy.

jamie said:

mtierney said:

I assume you're directly addressing Pompeo and the previous admin who signed the deal directly with the Taliban and ignored the Afghan government. These guys really had no clue about diplomacy.

Jamie, nothing that happened before Biden usurped the Presidency is relevant to any of these discussions. 

nohero said:

jamie said:

mtierney said:

Jamie, nothing that happened before Biden usurped the Presidency is relevant to any of these discussions. 

So we can't discuss that deal where T**** agreed to the release of up to 5,000 Taliban prisoners in their "peace settlement".  oh well.

mtierney said:

PVW said:

Way too head-shrinkey for me to ponder over on such a beautiful day!

Meanwhile, Biden appears to be doing his best to make matters even worse.

Whoever okayed the zero cost figure tag line should be cut loose!i

https://nypost.com/2021/10/02/weak-joe-biden-caves-to-loony-left-goodwin/

Possibly the most incoherent of all the cartoons you've posted.  What does any of that have to do with drugs?  

ml1 said:

Possibly the most incoherent of all the cartoons you've posted.  What does any of that have to do with drugs?  

I think the idea is that government programs, like political polling and baseball sabermetrics, are opiates of the masses. 

jamie said:

TDS, I believe is incurable. What happened in Kabul, at the Kabul airport, the abandonment of Americans and Afghan operatives in Afghanistan, the cruel reality at Del Rio, etc, were all on Biden’s watch. He owns what he sowed.

DaveSchmidt said:

ml1 said:

I think the idea is that government programs, like political polling and baseball sabermetrics, are opiates of the masses. 

he also included "high taxes", "open borders" and "inflation," so I'm sticking with incoherent.

mtierney said:

TDS, I believe is incurable. What happened in Kabul, at the Kabul airport, the abandonment of Americans and Afghan operatives in Afghanistan, the cruel reality at Del Rio, etc, were all on Biden’s watch. He owns what he sowed.

thanks for deflecting on the Pompeo pic - that says a lot.

Can you show us the current list of Americans who were abandoned in Afghanistan?  

What is the current situation in Del Rio?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.