The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

wendyn said:

FYI..calling Vice President Harris “Kamala” is classic misogynistic behavior. It intentionally diminishes her importance. Please refer to her in the same way you would refer to Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Mike Pence, Barack Obama, etc. 

Hillary....Melania...Michelle...Bess...Lady Bird....Martha....Eleanor...Mamie....Nancy...Dr.Jill...Pat...etc etc. Women of the 21st Century surely are secure enough in their minds to discount imagined meanings to the use of their first names in their public careers.

Both Kamala and Hillary, as presidential candidates, prominently used their first names on their campaign signage, etc. If they believed it didn’t diminish themselves by doing so, it was their choice.

mtierney said:

wendyn said:

FYI..calling Vice President Harris “Kamala” is classic misogynistic behavior. It intentionally diminishes her importance. Please refer to her in the same way you would refer to Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Mike Pence, Barack Obama, etc. 

Hillary....Melania...Michelle...Bess...Lady Bird....Martha....Eleanor...Mamie....Nancy...Dr.Jill...Pat...etc etc. Women of the 21st Century surely are secure enough in their minds to discount imagined meanings to the use of their first names in their public careers.

Both Kamala and Hillary, as presidential candidates, prominently used their first names on their campaign signage, etc. If they believed it didn’t diminish themselves by doing so, it was their choice.

yeah, except unlike those people you listed, VP Harris does not go by Kamala. So your use of her first name is inappropriate and diminishing, to say the least. And probably worse than that, but who knows what goes on in that head of yours.

Hillary went by Hillary as a shortcut to distinguish herself from Bill.

mtierney said:

wendyn said:

When the first name is part of a taunting and demeaning "Where's Kamala" post, it's meaning isn't "imagined" at all, it's painfully obvious.

ml1 said:

it's certainly true that it's not possible to know exactly where someone contracted the virus.  And it's no doubt riskier to be indoors than outdoors.  

Your earlier post referred to the outdoor gathering as the superspreader event and asked if we had forgotten it. I merely added a reminder of my own. 

I also did not think it was misogynistic. But it totally is. Think about it. Learn something like I did. When you refer to men by their last name and a woman of a similar rank by their first name you are diminishing the importance of the woman. Think about when bosses were all men and they were “Mr. Jones” and their secretaries were “Wendy” (or worse, “Honey”). The women were not important enough to refer to with their last name. If we continue to do this we continue to diminish the progress women have made. 

As a woman I would hope that you might want to encourage other women to get the respect they deserve, but you don’t respect VP Harris anyway so I guess it won’t matter to you. 

DaveSchmidt said:

Your earlier post referred to the outdoor gathering as the superspreader event and asked if we had forgotten it. I merely added a reminder of my own. 

yes you did. Suggesting perhaps that it was OK for unmasked, unvaccinated people to sit for an hour in close quarters as long as they were outside. 

Fortunately gatherings where everyone is unvaccinated are pretty rare now. Otherwise the suggestion that it wasn't a risk to gather closely outdoors might be irresponsible. 

ml1 said:

yes you did. Suggesting perhaps that it was OK for unmasked, unvaccinated people to sit for an hour in close quarters as long as they were outside. 

Yup, that's exactly like something I would suggest. 

Your post was at best incomplete, so I supplemented it. Please don't let it cause you to comment on politics here any less.

DaveSchmidt said:

Yup, that's exactly like something I would suggest. 

Your post was at best incomplete, so I supplemented it. Please don't let it cause you to comment on politics here any less.

maybe that wasn't your intent. But that's the effect. Maybe a longer response than just a supplement would have clarified that.

ml1 said:

Maybe a longer response than just a supplement would have clarified that.

Done. 

Sigh...boys club antics.....

From today’s NYT.....ON TOPIC

“Rod Dreher recently had a blog post for The American Conservative called “Why Are Conservatives in Despair?” He explained that conservatives are in despair because a hostile ideology — wokeness or social justice or critical race theory — is sweeping across America the way Bolshevism swept across the Russian Empire before the October Revolution in 1917.

“This ideology is creating a “soft totalitarianism” across wide swaths of American society, he writes. In the view of not just Dreher but also many others, it divides the world into good and evil based on crude racial categories. It has no faith in persuasion, or open discourse, but it shames and cancels anybody who challenges the official catechism. It produces fringe absurdities like “ethnomathematics,” which proponents say seeks to challenge the ways that, as one guide for teachers puts it, “math is used to uphold capitalist, imperialist and racist views” by dismissing old standards like “getting the ‘right’ answer.”

“I’m less alarmed by all of this because I have more confidence than Dreher and many other conservatives in the American establishment’s ability to co-opt and water down every radical progressive ideology. In the 1960s, left-wing radicals wanted to overthrow capitalism. We ended up with Whole Foods. The co-optation of wokeness seems to be happening right now.”

oThe rest of David Brooks commentary...

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/13/opinion/this-is-how-wokeness-ends.html

mtierney said:

“Rod Dreher recently had a blog post for The American Conservative called “Why Are Conservatives in Despair?” He explained that conservatives are in despair because a hostile ideology — wokeness or social justice or critical race theory — is sweeping across America the way Bolshevism swept across the Russian Empire before the October Revolution in 1917.

“This ideology is creating a “soft totalitarianism” across wide swaths of American society, he writes. In the view of not just Dreher but also many others, it divides the world into good and evil based on crude racial categories. It has no faith in persuasion, or open discourse, but it shames and cancels anybody who challenges the official catechism. It produces fringe absurdities like “ethnomathematics,” which proponents say seeks to challenge the ways that, as one guide for teachers puts it, “math is used to uphold capitalist, imperialist and racist views” by dismissing old standards like “getting the ‘right’ answer.”

“I’m less alarmed by all of this because I have more confidence than Dreher and many other conservatives in the American establishment’s ability to co-opt and water down every radical progressive ideology. In the 1960s, left-wing radicals wanted to overthrow capitalism. We ended up with Whole Foods. The co-optation of wokeness seems to be happening right now.”

did you read the study guide you linked to? Not surprisingly, Brooks took at least one concept out of context, over simplifying in order to misrepresent it. Brooks calls it "dismissing old standards like getting the'right' answer."  But here's what the guide actually says:

There is a greater focus on getting the "right" answer than understanding concepts and reasoning.

Upholding the idea that there are always right and wrong answers perpetuate objectivity as well as fear of open conflict. Some math problems may have more than one right answer and some may not have a solution at all, depending on the content and the context. And when the focus is only on getting the right answer, the complexity of the mathematical concepts and reasoning may be underdeveloped, missing opportunities for deep learning.

Maybe the reasons conservatives are in despair is because their arguments against anti-racism are empty and dishonest. 

David Brooks would have received a failing grade if he turned that column in as a school assignment. 

How he described what a source says: "... as one guide for teachers puts it, 'math is used to uphold capitalist, imperialist and racist views' by dismissing old standards like 'getting the "right" answer.' ”

What the source actually says: "There is a greater focus on getting the 'right' answer than understanding concepts and reasoning."

Two completely different meanings.

Wow. Brooks AND Dreher in one post. vampire

and here's the dopiest part of Brooks's argument.  Getting credit on a math problem while getting the "wrong" answer has been around forever.  I recall getting points credited toward my grade on algebra problems in HS for using the right process even if I made a computational error that resulted in my giving a "wrong" answer.

Mtierney, do you believe that race is a biological reality, or that it's more of a social construct? In other words, do you believe that we are biologically different, or are the differences between races something we are taught?

mtierney said:

I'm confused why mtierney is posting this. Her response to GOP cancel culture going after Cheney for denouncing the hard totalitarianism of Trumpism was to tell us that she sees this as so unimportant as to be at the  "bottom of the issues of today." I guess she's just upset by people saying mean things about her team?

ridski said:

Mtierney, do you believe that race is a biological reality, or that it's more of a social construct? In other words, do you believe that we are biologically different, or are the differences between races something we are taught?

could you rephrase your questions? 

mtierney said:

Pssst. It’s the same question, already rephrased. 

mtierney said:

Being “woke” is a nightmare for knowing what’s happening ...

https://www.realclearinvestigations.com/articles/2021/05/13/the_high-pressure_business_of_selling_woke_corporate_armor_776879.html

"Now, with boycotts becoming a fixed tactic, including secondary boycotts targeting states with new Republican-backed voting laws"

Which is the graver threat to democracy -- consumers boycotting businesses, or government boycotting voters?

DaveSchmidt said:

mtierney said:

Pssst. It’s the same question, already rephrased. 

I don't think "rephrasing" will make a difference. Just because someone rants against "Critical Race Theory" doesn't mean they have any **** idea what it's about.

while we wait for mt to figure out her position on race, here's an interesting piece about the guys who supplied her news sources with inflammatory and dishonest videos of the BLM protests. In one case, they had a video showing a white guy getting pummeled by mostly black protestors. They conveniently edited out the part where the white guy was running around with a machete, threatening protestors.

https://theintercept.com/2021/05/13/riot-squad-right-wing-video-journalists-black-lives-matter-antifa/

mtierney said:

Could you rephrase your synopsis?

mtierney said:

https://www.realclearinvestigations.com/articles/2021/05/13/the_high-pressure_business_of_selling_woke_corporate_armor_776879.html

this is particularly rich coming from someone at Sinclair. One of the biggest right-wing propaganda outfits there is. 

“Advertising boycotts can be very effective,” says Sharyl Attkisson, a former investigative reporter for CBS News who is now a Sinclair Broadcasting correspondent and media critic. “We've seen where the news has become an almost entirely managed commodity, that the special interests and propagandists have successfully been able to co-opt in the past 15, 20 years -- and particularly using the internet in the past four to five years in a way that that has not been done before.

drummerboy said:

Attkisson is a real piece o' work

https://www.vox.com/2014/10/31/7140247/the-right-is-convinced-obama-hacked-sharyl-attkisson-over-benghazi

What matters is that she's a "team player", right mtierney?

drummerboy said:

while we wait for mt to figure out her position on race, here's an interesting piece about the guys who supplied her news sources with inflammatory and dishonest videos of the BLM protests. In one case, they had a video showing a white guy getting pummeled by mostly black protestors. They conveniently edited out the part where the white guy was running around with a machete, threatening protestors.

https://theintercept.com/2021/05/13/riot-squad-right-wing-video-journalists-black-lives-matter-antifa/

By the way, guess who's trying to debunk that?  Glenn Greenwald, of course, who has completely turned into a Tucker Carlson-like apologist for right wingers.

The Intercept 'stands by its reporting' amid backlash for targeting Gab users, journos who covered BLM riots | Fox News

Though without addressing him by name, The Intercept took aim at its co-founder Glenn Greenwald, who had been extremely critical of its reporting.

"It is particularly sad and infuriating that much of the impulsion for this campaign has been generated by the unbalanced tweets of a founder of The Intercept who resigned and falsely accused The Intercept of censoring him as part of his effort to launch his Substack blog," the article read.

The Intercept concluded, "We are doing everything we can to guarantee the security of our staff and defend their families and their reputations. Our reporting will continue."

mtierney said:

ridski said:

For more information, please reread.

ridski said:

mtierney said:

ridski said:

For more information, please reread.

You know, Ridski, I wasn’t born yesterday — or even the day before.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.