The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

mtierney said:

How’s Biden doing — and where in the world is Kamala?

That's a pretty stupid question. 

mtierney said:

In order of importance, I put Cheney at the bottom of the issues of today. She stopped being a team player and her fellow Republicans took her platform away.

"She stopped being a team player" means that she wants the GOP to move on from Trump.  It also means that she doesn't adopt the GOP lies about the election. 

mtierney said:

Funny - or perhaps ironic is a better description — how the libs and progressives here take little notice of, or responsibility for,  the exploding crises at the border, the Afghan uprising, the Palestinian and Israeli violence, the sabotage of the pipeline, the return of the ‘70s gasoline shortages, etc etc. 

Everything was perfectly fine and safe when Trump left the White House, right? 

mtierney said:

... the return of the ‘70s gasoline shortages, etc etc. 

There's no "gasoline shortage", there's a temporary supply interruption exacerbated by hoarding.

Example, in Florida: "Gas Buddy reported 3.4 percent of gas stations in Florida are out of gas, with 50 percent of gas stations in Pensacola out of fuel and 33 percent in Tallahassee. AAA said Florida does not largely depend on the Colonial Pipeline for gas and most of the state’s fuel is delivered from Gulf Coast refineries via waterborne vessels. The organization predicts Florida gas supply should remain well-supplied."

Gas demand spikes in Central Florida after fuel pipeline hack (fox35orlando.com)

In other words, the "gasoline shortage" is caused by panic buying, not a supply shortage. The hoarding is caused by people who don't pay attention to the news, but instead panic based on what they see in a friend's Facebook post or in some email that's passed around.

Excuses, excuses..

Remember the Israeli peace accord? Or the discovery of three vaccines within months when such a feat might take years?  Most of the distribution failures came under Biden who went with mega sites and not Trump’s plan.

Oh, I do know where Kamala is — she stands in front of the drapes in the Oval Office, masked, and at attention.

nohero said:

mtierney said:

Funny - or perhaps ironic is a better description — how the libs and progressives here take little notice of, or responsibility for,  the exploding crises at the border, the Afghan uprising, the Palestinian and Israeli violence, the sabotage of the pipeline, the return of the ‘70s gasoline shortages, etc etc. 

Everything was perfectly fine and safe when Trump left the White House, right? 

As you must remember, there was a global pandemic underway.

Yesterday morning Kamala was in the Whitehouse meeting with the President, McConnell, McCarthy, Schumer and Pelosi. 

Today at 1.30, The President, The Vice President, the Secretary of Commerce, and the Secretary of Transportation meet with Senator Capito, Senator Barrasso, Senator Blunt, Senator Crapo, Senator Toomey, and Senator Wicker. 

President Biden's public schedule can be found here: https://factba.se/biden/calendar

mtierney said:

In order of importance, I put Cheney at the bottom of the issues of today. She stopped being a team player and her fellow Republicans took her platform away.

Not the least of our own internal upsets is the fact that months and months of rioting and destruction and racial anger toward police  in cities across America has weakened respect for police and crime, and criminals have taken note — crime in NYC alone is way up, and the murder rate is showing the score.

How’s Biden doing — and where in the world is Kamala?

Well now I'm confused. You keep on insisting that cancel culture and fixation on Trump is a major issue, but now it's "at the bottom of the issues" today? And you're upset about "months and months of rioting and destruction and racial anger toward police", but you don't want to talk about Jan 6, where police officers were killed by a mob acting on racial anger intent on overturning democracy?

Then again, you note that Cheney "stopped being a team player", so perhaps this is your way of admitting that this is what you really care about? Rioting, murder, and insurrection don't bother you so long as it's your team doing it, but calling your own team out on this is something you'd prefer to ignore?

mtierney said:

Excuses, excuses..

Remember the Israeli peace accord? Or the discovery of three vaccines within months when such a feat might take years?  Most of the distribution failures came under Biden who went with mega sites and not Trump’s plan.

Oh, I do know where Kamala is — she stands in front of the drapes in the Oval Office, masked, and at attention.

"In December 2017, Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas cut ties with the Trump administration after United States recognition of Jerusalem as capital of Israel. The Trump administration further raised Palestinians' ire when it moved the US embassy to Jerusalem in May 2018, and cut hundreds of millions of dollars in annual aid to the Palestinians, citing the PA's refusal to take part in the administration's peace initiative." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli%E2%80%93Palestinian_peace_process#Trump_plan

"You may be surprised to learn that of the trio of long-awaited coronavirus vaccines, the most promising, Moderna’s mRNA-1273, which reported a 94.5 percent efficacy rate on November 16, had been designed by January 13. This was just two days after the genetic sequence had been made public in an act of scientific and humanitarian generosity that resulted in China’s Yong-Zhen Zhang’s being temporarily forced out of his lab. In Massachusetts, the Moderna vaccine design took all of one weekend. It was completed before China had even acknowledged that the disease could be transmitted from human to human, more than a week before the first confirmed coronavirus case in the United States. By the time the first American death was announced a month later, the vaccine had already been manufactured and shipped to the National Institutes of Health for the beginning of its Phase I clinical trial. This is — as the country and the world are rightly celebrating — the fastest timeline of development in the history of vaccines. It also means that for the entire span of the pandemic in this country, which has already killed more than 250,000 Americans, we had the tools we needed to prevent it." - https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/12/moderna-covid-19-vaccine-design.html

From Jan 5, 2021

'"The federal plan was to load up, you know, 40 million boxes of IKEA furniture and the states are opening up the box and [saying] 'Oh my god, it says assembly required' that's what's happened, right and so there was never a plan to vaccinate the American people," said Dr. Peter Hotez, Co-Director of the Center for Vaccine Development at Texas Children’s Hospital and Dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine.

The FDA provided information and fact sheets as a kind of "assembly instructions" on how to prepare the concentrated vaccine doses to be administered and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention supplied educational materials for hospitals, but it is largely up to states and specific facilities to determine how to process and carry out vaccinations and how much they can handle at a time.

Officials with Operation Warp Speed say there is a delay in collecting data from states and the vaccine rollout was slower because of the holidays.

But Hotez and other experts say while the federal government should have taken ownership of vaccination efforts from the beginning, there are changes that could speed up the pace and meet the goal of vaccinating the vast majority of the population needed to stop the spread of the virus through herd immunity. He said vaccinating millions of people in a matter of months requires more infrastructure than sending people to their local hospital or pharmacies, but the federal government can help states and cities open mass vaccination sites able to administer more vaccines every day.' - https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/federal-government-speed-covid-19-vaccinations/story?id=75039868 

mtierney said:

Excuses, excuses..

There was no "Israeli peace accord" with the Palestinians under Trump. Instead, he made a big deal over side deals with the United Arab Emirates, and other countries that didn't deal with the genuine peace issues in Israel.

I don't remember the sudden "discovery of vaccines" because of what Trump did, because that's not how it happened.

I would love to hear what "Trump's plan" was that allegedly wasn't followed, for vaccinating people. 

[Edited to add] I posted after Mr. Ridski provided the source materials in his posts.

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but people who claim that Trump was making peace in Israel or made the vaccine possible are not going to bother with actual sources of information.

nohero said:

I would love to hear what "Trump's plan" was that allegedly wasn't followed, for vaccinating people. 

didn't he claim the U.S. military would handle logistics for vaccine distribution?  Pretty sure that never happened.

mtierney said:

It takes talent to get racism, sexism, and anti-mask propaganda into a single sentence like that. 

yes.  he did say the military would be deployed to deliver vaccinations.  And his plan was for a laughably inadequate 200K doses per day.

Trump Says Military Is Prepared to Deliver 200,000 Coronavirus Vaccine Doses a Day

FYI..calling Vice President Harris “Kamala” is classic misogynistic behavior. It intentionally diminishes her importance. Please refer to her in the same way you would refer to Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Mike Pence, Barack Obama, etc. 

If we know anything now, it's that COVID-19 can spread in outdoor gatherings if people are unmasked, and in close contact for a long period of time.  Have people already forgotten this particular super-spreader event that was held outdoors last fall?

Genomic sequence of the White House "superspreader" event

ml1 said:

If we know anything now, it's that COVID-19 can spread in outdoor gatherings if people are unmasked, and in close contact for a long period of time.  Have people already forgotten this particular super-spreader event that was held outdoors last fall?

ETA: The article below is a reminder that the superspreader event may have been -- or even more likely have been -- the indoor reception, rather than the outdoor gathering. The article does not suggest it's OK for unmasked, unvaccinated people to sit for an hour in close quarters as long as they are outside, and neither do I.  

Inside the White House Event Now Under Covid-19 Scrutiny (NYT, Oct. 3)

Few people at the outdoor ceremony wore masks or kept their social distance. But experts say the more risky time spent that day was at a reception inside the White House, where President Trump met with a smaller group of guests.

There, Mr. Trump mingled with Judge Barrett, her family and prominent Republicans in the Oval Office and in the Diplomatic Room. Research has shown that transmission of the virus tends to happen indoors, and gatherings where guests are maskless and in tight quarters can be a recipe for “super spreader” events.

nohero said:
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but people who claim that Trump was making peace in Israel or made the vaccine possible are not going to bother with actual sources of information.

Well, obviously, but I like to provide the rebuttal for practice and posterity.

Even accounting for all the uncertainty and conflicting information during the pandemic, Trump clearly failed in his response. And he was held accountable for this in November. But mtierney's is opposed to accountability, and opposed to anyone, like Cheney, who insists on accountability. The dividing line in American politics is no longer about conservative or liberal, or about stances on the issues, it's about whether Americans should be allowed to decide at all.

mtierney said:

Here's a quick reminder of what Pence's job was the past 4 years - he was like a puppy dog to Donny:

For a party that hates cancel culture - who are they going to cancel next?

ridski said:

"In December 2017, Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas cut ties with the Trump administration after United States recognition of Jerusalem as capital of Israel. The Trump administration further raised Palestinians' ire when it moved the US embassy to Jerusalem in May 2018, and cut hundreds of millions of dollars in annual aid to the Palestinians, citing the PA's refusal to take part in the administration's peace initiative." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli%E2%80%93Palestinian_peace_process#Trump_plan

"You may be surprised to learn that of the trio of long-awaited coronavirus vaccines, the most promising, Moderna’s mRNA-1273, which reported a 94.5 percent efficacy rate on November 16, had been designed by January 13. This was just two days after the genetic sequence had been made public in an act of scientific and humanitarian generosity that resulted in China’s Yong-Zhen Zhang’s being temporarily forced out of his lab. In Massachusetts, the Moderna vaccine design took all of one weekend. It was completed before China had even acknowledged that the disease could be transmitted from human to human, more than a week before the first confirmed coronavirus case in the United States. By the time the first American death was announced a month later, the vaccine had already been manufactured and shipped to the National Institutes of Health for the beginning of its Phase I clinical trial. This is — as the country and the world are rightly celebrating — the fastest timeline of development in the history of vaccines. It also means that for the entire span of the pandemic in this country, which has already killed more than 250,000 Americans, we had the tools we needed to prevent it." - https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/12/moderna-covid-19-vaccine-design.html

From Jan 5, 2021

'"The federal plan was to load up, you know, 40 million boxes of IKEA furniture and the states are opening up the box and [saying] 'Oh my god, it says assembly required' that's what's happened, right and so there was never a plan to vaccinate the American people," said Dr. Peter Hotez, Co-Director of the Center for Vaccine Development at Texas Children’s Hospital and Dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine.

The FDA provided information and fact sheets as a kind of "assembly instructions" on how to prepare the concentrated vaccine doses to be administered and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention supplied educational materials for hospitals, but it is largely up to states and specific facilities to determine how to process and carry out vaccinations and how much they can handle at a time.

Officials with Operation Warp Speed say there is a delay in collecting data from states and the vaccine rollout was slower because of the holidays.

But Hotez and other experts say while the federal government should have taken ownership of vaccination efforts from the beginning, there are changes that could speed up the pace and meet the goal of vaccinating the vast majority of the population needed to stop the spread of the virus through herd immunity. He said vaccinating millions of people in a matter of months requires more infrastructure than sending people to their local hospital or pharmacies, but the federal government can help states and cities open mass vaccination sites able to administer more vaccines every day.' - https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/federal-government-speed-covid-19-vaccinations/story?id=75039868 

You honestly think she would read that? The woman is a brainwashed member of the trumpenstein cult. 
these same so called patriots who talk about cancel culture not only just canceled one of their own, for not kissing trumpenstein’s sun starved fat a$$. These are the hypocrites who have canceled the culture of non Christians, who canceled the culture of the African slaves, the native Americans, and whoever else they deem unfit to enter heaven and see their god. 

ml1 said:

Reality check: In Oct. 2020, there were no vaccines in the pipeline and much less was known about how the virus was spread. The wearing of masks outdoors is still an issue — see my earlier post today.

wendyn said:

FYI..calling Vice President Harris “Kamala” is classic misogynistic behavior. It intentionally diminishes her importance. Please refer to her in the same way you would refer to Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Mike Pence, Barack Obama, etc. 

No, it is not — certainly not from this woman. 

The names President Trump were called were either obscene or denigrating in the extreme. He was fat-shamed, his coif, his hands, ridiculed, and  called the “orange man”, his entire family,including his young son, were berated, and his wife’s immigrant background, and slight accent, were mocked.

The name, “Joe” was used throughout Biden’s 47 years in government, on the campaign trail, until the present day — by the senator, candidate, and president. Just one of the guys, lovable and accessible. I see no racial connotation in using “Kamala” in reference to her.

The first non-white POTUS,  Barack Hussein Obama, whom I voted for, was spared much media dissing. I recall cartoonists using his ears for fun — never his race.

mtierney said:

The first non-white POTUS,  Barack Hussein Obama, whom I voted for, was spared much media dissing. I recall cartoonists using his ears for fun — never his race.

And we're being trolled again. 

mtierney said:

The name, “Joe” was used throughout Biden’s 47 years in government, on the campaign trail, until the present day — by the senator, candidate, and president. Just one of the guys, lovable and accessible. 

"Joe" is used as a term of familiarity, or for effect in writing. (Otherwise, it's always been Biden. In Delaware, certainly.)

Are you on familiar terms with Kamala Harris? If not, what effect were you going for?

Misogynistic means sexist, specifically denigrating to women, not racist. And when You refer to men (especially of a certain rank) using their last name and women (of a similar rank) with their first name you are diminishing them. You might not recognize that. I did not until my adult children pointed it out to me. So I am now pointing it out to you and everyone else on this thread. 
I am also confused because you mention in October 2020 there were no vaccines in the pipeline? Three Vaccines were in late term trials at that time. And less was known about how the virus was spread? The CDC had been recommending mask wearing since March 2020. All these people had to do was wear a piece of cloth over their face for a few hours to protect other people and they couldn’t even be bothered. That is how much they care about other people. 

mtierney said:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

mtierney said:

ml1 said:

Reality check: In Oct. 2020, there were no vaccines in the pipeline and much less was known about how the virus was spread. The wearing of masks outdoors is still an issue — see my earlier post today.

your original comment was complaining about how outdoor events were not allowed LAST YEAR.

mtierney said:

DaveSchmidt said:

ml1 said:

Inside the White House Event Now Under Covid-19 Scrutiny (NYT, Oct. 3)

Few people at the outdoor ceremony wore masks or kept their social distance. But experts say the more risky time spent that day was at a reception inside the White House, where President Trump met with a smaller group of guests.

There, Mr. Trump mingled with Judge Barrett, her family and prominent Republicans in the Oval Office and in the Diplomatic Room. Research has shown that transmission of the virus tends to happen indoors, and gatherings where guests are maskless and in tight quarters can be a recipe for “super spreader” events.

it's certainly true that it's not possible to know exactly where someone contracted the virus.  And it's no doubt riskier to be indoors than outdoors.  But to this day, the public health guidelines would tell unvaccinated people to avoid going maskless the sort of shoulder-to-shoulder gathering shown in the first photo you linked to.  This guideline was published in the NYT just a couple of weeks ago:

Do We Still Need to Keep Wearing Masks Outdoors? 

Science shows that the risk of viral transmission outside is very low, and federal health officials now have updated their advice. The “two-out-of-three rule” can help you decide whether to mask up.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.