The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

Circumnavigate is the correct term. There are a lot of people currently volunteering to take the minimum of your information and sit there waiting until certain websites release blocks of appointments, then they enter your information in as fast as possible to get you one before they’re all gone. The release time is different depending on the institution and county. It could sometime after 8am, as Essex County is, or small batches throughout the day as Ocean County is, or even after midnight. These people truly are angels, but you have to know that they exist in order to utilize them.

And then there are the 50% of Trump voters that say they will never be vaccinated. 

mtierney - I guess your response to that will be another cartoon mimicking Biden wearing a mask or getting a vaccine shot. 

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/kioy3xfn57/20210309_yahoo_vaccine_tabs.pdf

cramer said:

And then there are the 50% of Trump voters that say they will never be vaccinated. 

mtierney - I guess your response to that will be another cartoon mimicking Biden wearing a mask or getting a vaccine shot. 

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/kioy3xfn57/20210309_yahoo_vaccine_tabs.pdf

shameful.  But I'm holding out hope that the Republican men claiming they won't be vaccinated are lying to own the lib pollsters.  And then when it's time, they'll actually be vaccinated.

If we don't get to herd immunity when we have sufficient vaccine supplies just because dead-ender Trumpers refuse vaccination, it will be infuriating for the rest of us. But honestly it wouldn't be all that surprising.  They'd shoot themselves in their faces if they thought it would produce liberal tears.

ridski said:

Circumnavigate is the correct term. There are a lot of people currently volunteering to take the minimum of your information and sit there waiting until certain websites release blocks of appointments, then they enter your information in as fast as possible to get you one before they’re all gone. The release time is different depending on the institution and county. It could sometime after 8am, as Essex County is, or small batches throughout the day as Ocean County is, or even after midnight. These people truly are angels, but you have to know that they exist in order to utilize them.

another example of the poor design of the scheduling app. There should have been two parts to the app - one where you permanently register your name and info under a unique email ID. You do that once. The other part is where you look for an opening for that unique ID. And once you select an opening, you get a lock on it until you confirm. If you don't confirm, then the slot opens up for someone else.

But I guess that ship has sailed. Maybe next pandemic we'll get it right.

drummerboy said:

another example of the poor design of the scheduling app. There should have been two parts to the app - one where you permanently register your name and info under a unique email ID. You do that once. The other part is where you look for an opening for that unique ID. And once you select an opening, you get a lock on it until you confirm. If you don't confirm, then the slot opens up for someone else.

Maybe we can add that system to the next pandemic playbook for the next dumbass Republican president to ignore.

joanne said:

@mtierney, you wrote your angel helped to circumvent the distribution plans unique in every city - I think you might mean ‘circumnavigate’? ‘Circumvent’ completely changes the meaning of your sentence...  

No, I used the word correctly to express avoiding the maddening pitfalls in distribution systems.

drummerboy said:

ridski said:

that was how the Essex County site worked for me. I registered with my email, and then they sent me a text and email when a slot opened for me.  I know it's been difficult for many people to get scheduled, but early on that was more a function of vaccine supply in Essex.  So it was essentially a lottery. But now it's getting easier because the vaccine supply is increasing.  I've got my fingers crossed for everyone in the county to have an opportunity to be vaccinated by May.  I don't think that's at all unrealistic at this point.

ml1 said:

drummerboy said:

ridski said:

that was how the Essex County site worked for me. I registered with my email, and then they sent me a text and email when a slot opened for me.  I know it's been difficult for many people to get scheduled, but early on that was more a function of vaccine supply in Essex.  So it was essentially a lottery. But now it's getting easier because the vaccine supply is increasing.  I've got my fingers crossed for everyone in the county to have an opportunity to be vaccinated by May.  I don't think that's at all unrealistic at this point.

I think that if you tried to book the appointment through the app, rather than wait for an email, you were forced to enter all of your personal information each time.

Admittedly, memory is getting fuzzy. 

H’m. Here, the two words are almost opposites. To use ‘circumvent’ the way you wanted, you’d have to include a reference to the pitfalls or challenges. Isn’t it funny how ‘English’ is so different depending on where you are in the world?

mtierney said:

No, I used the word correctly to express avoiding the maddening pitfalls in distribution systems.

(I’d grab my big Oxford to compare definitions but it’s well past midnight on a wet, chilly night)

The wording isn't that important. Point is, the current system is messy at best. There are 5 or so super vaccination sites you need to monitor to get an appointment there, as well as local hospitals, pharmacies, county-run sites and regular doctor groups. All of these need to be monitored 24/7 if you want to get an appointment. This is the pitfall to be overcome: appointments. Once you get that first one, it's incredibly smooth, but before that it's Hungry Hungry Hippos.

drummerboy said:

ml1 said:

drummerboy said:

ridski said:

I think that if you tried to book the appointment through the app, rather than wait for an email, you were forced to enter all of your personal information each time.

Admittedly, memory is getting fuzzy. 

I don't recall that being so.  In fact, I remember revisiting the site and getting a message that my email was already registered, and to wait for an email with an appointment.

the site I registered at is essexcovid.org

ridski said:

The wording isn't that important. Point is, the current system is messy at best. There are 5 or so super vaccination sites you need to monitor to get an appointment there, as well as local hospitals, pharmacies, county-run sites and regular doctor groups. All of these need to be monitored 24/7 if you want to get an appointment. This is the pitfall to be overcome: appointments. Once you get that first one, it's incredibly smooth, but before that it's Hungry Hungry Hippos.

definitely.  There are too many sites, and too much confusion.  I was registered at two sites, and for weeks after I was already vaccinated, I was still getting emails from one telling me that when an appointment opened up, they would notify me.

ml1 said:

They put you on a waiting list and then they emailed you an appointment?

Still just the one data point, and without intending to take away from all the problems others have had: I registered with Essex a couple of months ago. It told me I qualified, but I was in no hurry. A few weeks later, I checked the site for openings at Sears. Nothing. A week or two later, checked again. Nothing. Early this month, some random afternoon, I checked once more. Openings at the end of March. Clicked and a pulldown said there was even a second, earlier day available. Clicked through once at my normal methodical pace to sign up, and got the shot last Wednesday.

That could mean it remains an infuriating lottery, and I’m one lucky, blessed S.O.B. I guess it could also mean, as ml1 suggested, that supplies and possible improvements to the software are making things somewhat easier at this point.

(Looked at the site just now: Nothing.)

DaveSchmidt said:

Still just the one data point, and without intending to take away from all the problems others have had: I registered with Essex a couple of months ago. It told me I qualified, but I was in no hurry. A few weeks later, I checked the site for openings at Sears. Nothing. A week or two later, checked again. Nothing. Early this month, some random afternoon, I checked once more. Openings at the end of March. Clicked and a pulldown said there was even a second, earlier day available. Clicked through once at my normal methodical pace to sign up, and got the shot last Wednesday.

That could mean it remains an infuriating lottery, and I’m one lucky, blessed S.O.B. I guess it could also mean, as ml1 suggested, that supplies and possible improvements to the software are making things somewhat easier at this point.

(Looked at the site just now: Nothing.)

That's actively searching for an appointment, which is what I did too. I didn't know you could sign up with essexcovid.org to get on a waiting list. I did that through this: https://covidvaccine.nj.gov/

ETA: The system through essexcovid.org that I have seen is not a lottery. You keep refreshing this page https://www.essexcovid.org/index.php/vaccine/vaccine_availability until those 0's turn into real numbers. Then you have a race to get through the multi-screen form to the end, and hopefully you're fast enough to get an appointment before they're all gone. That's why I referred to it as Hungry Hungry Hippos, they can be snatched away from you while you're still filling out your insurance information. 

ridski said:

ml1 said:

They put you on a waiting list and then they emailed you an appointment?

yes.  it was in early January, so possibly that has changed. But that's the process I went through.

ridski said:

ETA: The system through essexcovid.org that I have seen is not a lottery.

The reason I can see it might be a lottery is that I wasn’t monitoring 24/7 or refreshing, it was an afternoon and not 8 a.m., and I went through the form at normal speed without getting bumped, so maybe I chanced into a jackpot of openings at just the right time.

cramer said:

The logic of Trump voters shouldn't be a surprise, but they do always find new ways to apply it:

1.  Biden is falsely taking credit for Trump's vaccine.

2.  The vaccine isn't something you should get. 

[Edited to add] I mean, if they all called it "The Biden Vaccine", and then refused to get it, at least there would be some internal consistency with their logic.

nohero said:

cramer said:

The logic of Trump voters shouldn't be a surprise, but they do always find new ways to apply it:

[Edited to add] I mean, if they all called it "The Biden Vaccine", and then refused to get it, at least there would be some internal consistency with their logic.

I'b be ok if the pharma companies got together named their vaccines Trump 1, Trump 2, etc.  Or maybe Trump Gold, Trump Platinum, Trump Diamond, etc.  As long as it gets the shots in the arms of the knuckleheads, let's do it.

nohero said:

cramer said:

I propose using some of the covid relief money for targeted distribution to Trumpists. These will NOT distribute covid-19 vaccines, they'll give out Trump Freedom Serum, guaranteed to make you as invulnerable to the Democrat Virus as Trump himself is. They'll be administered by certified Deep State Liberals, who will cry profusely as they administer the shot and declare how extremely upset they are to see how powerful and strong the Trumpists are as a result of the shot. These safe spaces, er sanctuaries, er Manly Freedom Centers, will also distribute freedom face protectors.These are NOT masks. They ensure that no one can see your lips moving and so protect you from being canceled by antifa. Be sure the freedom face protectors cover both your nose and your mouth for maximum effectiveness.

DaveSchmidt said:

The reason I can see it might be a lottery is that I wasn’t monitoring 24/7 or refreshing, it was an afternoon and not 8 a.m., and I went through the form at normal speed without getting bumped, so maybe I chanced into a jackpot of openings at just the right time.

I don't doubt it. As it consistently goes live between 8 and 9, I imagine it would be less of a scramble in the afternoon when few are suspecting it. This morning Essex County opened for March 18 at 8.13 and was out of appointments by 8.52.

"Russia and its leader Vladimir Putin authorized intelligence assets to promote misinformation about President Joe Biden through U.S. media and people close to then-President Donald Trump to try to boost Trump’s election chances, an American intelligence report said Tuesday.

In particular, the report said that Putin “had purview over the activities of Adriy Derkach, a Ukrainian legislator who played a prominent role in Russia’s election influence activities.”

Derkach, who has ties to Russian intelligence, is known to have met with Rudy Giuliani, the personal lawyer to Trump, who for months promoted discredited allegations against Biden and his son Hunter Biden."

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/16/putin-pushed-biden-misinformation-to-trump-allies-during-election.html

This is the report: 

https://www.dni.gov/files/ODNI/documents/assessments/ICA-declass-16MAR21.pdf

In the alternative universe of Fox News, the President will be interviewed tonight. 

hmmm. looks like someone is fixated.

nohero said:

In the alternative universe of Fox News, the President will be interviewed tonight. 

Who?

PVW said:

nohero said:

Who?

the Never-Say-Former President

drummerboy said:

PVW said:

nohero said:

Who?

the Never-Say-Former President

Is this going to be one of those things where he has a voice distorter and is in the shadows so you can't see his face while he confesses? If so, I don't think they're supposed to actually announce his identity ahead of the interview like this.

As I was leaving the vaccine distribution site on Tuesday, having received my second shot, I was greeted with snow flurries. My first thought ( I kid you not) was that my vaccine angel had shed some feathers, seeing another person helped.

Please disregard these after-the-shot reveries if you haven’t been vaccinated yet: fever and chills, check; hit by a freight train or a car which backed-up, check. But, within 48 hours, you wake up and it was all worth it

What has been going on in Washington? 

mtierney said:

What has been going on in Washington? 

still cleaning up Trump's mess. Long road ahead.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.