The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

nohero said:

mtierney said:

The governors wanted to control the distribution on their turfs to upstage Washington. Their reasoning was selfish, the outcome, a disaster. 

Nobody believes this lie. 

Maybe ml1 was mistaken, too, but if he still recalls that governors raised objections, I’d like to hear him out before calling this a lie.

DaveSchmidt said:

PVW said:

mtierney said:

One example, more to follow...

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-clinical-advisory-task-force-and-vaccine-distribution-and

What was the federal distribution plan in this posted example?

Those were the weeds I got lost in. Cuomo does seem to be saying, though, that he wants New York to control its own process no matter what plan the White House comes up with.

Weedy perhaps, but not deeply rooted.  Making loud noises about running your own distribution plan when, in fact, there is no alternative, is just political framing (and cheap points in the context of a strongly anti-Trump electorate).

mtierney's claim is that the "governors wanted to control the distribution on their turfs to upstage Washington". Absent an actual federal distribution plan, there was nothing to upstage.

mtierney said:

Examples of dueling governors, etc, more to follow...

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-clinical-advisory-task-force-and-vaccine-distribution-and

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sallypipes/2021/01/19/let-the-failures-of-government-vaccine-distribution-be-a-warning/

I have zero idea what your point is.  Can you post what Trump's federal vaccine rollout plan would have been?  Who do you think would have been the lead?

Something like EventBrite or airline booking would have been a BIG improvement here in Wisconsin.  As it was, the "plan" was to figure out how to sign up with multiple health care providers/pharmacies, the city, the county, the local health dept., and wait to see if you heard back from someone.  This assumed you knew about all these outlets and had time and computer availability/skill.  The healthcare providers in particular were mostly on a "don't call us, we'll call you" basis -- and in our experience, didn't call. 

Fortunately, our local public health folks have managed to have a weekly (online) sign-up opportunity for the past few weeks, AND a phone number for those not up for online.  But from my 70+, semi online capable perspective, it has almost seemed as though you had to know somebody to find out how to get access to vaccine.  I don't know how the many computer-challenged seniors (and others) living on their own have managed, if they have.

NJ has sounded really good -- and earlier -- in comparison.

DaveSchmidt said:

nohero said:

mtierney said:

The governors wanted to control the distribution on their turfs to upstage Washington. Their reasoning was selfish, the outcome, a disaster. 

Maybe ml1 was mistaken, too, but if he still recalls that governors raised objections, I’d like to hear him out before calling this a lie.

What Mr. ml1 wrote about GOP governors does not make it not a lie.

DaveSchmidt said:

Those were the weeds I got lost in. Cuomo does seem to be saying, though, that he wants New York to control its own process no matter what plan the White House comes up with.

"Seems to be saying" as opposed to what he actually said.

nohero said:

"Seems to be saying" as opposed to what he actually said.

Since this is a discussion, I’m open to guidance on what Cuomo actually said.

PVW said:

Weedy perhaps, but not deeply rooted.  Making loud noises about running your own distribution plan when, in fact, there is no alternative, is just political framing (and cheap points in the context of a strongly anti-Trump electorate).

mtierney's claim is that the "governors wanted to control the distribution on their turfs to upstage Washington". Absent an actual federal distribution plan, there was nothing to upstage.

Mtierney rarely does herself favors. Her original comment was that states raised objections about submitting to Washington dictates, and ml1 said he believed that was right. Making loud noises about running your own distribution plan sounds to me — subject to further consideration — like it qualifies, political framing being a given.

None of this takes away from the fact that the White House had no plan regardless. Just part of the historical discussion, is all.

DaveSchmidt said:

Mtierney rarely does herself favors. Her original comment was that states raised objections about submitting to Washington dictates, and ml1 said he believed that was right. Making loud noises about running your own distribution plan sounds to me — subject to further consideration — like it qualifies, political framing being a given.

None of this takes away from the fact that the White House had no plan regardless. Just part of the historical discussion, is all.

Talk about "both-siderism"...Laughable !

I have no idea what the argument is.  LOL

Seems to me that vaccine acquisition & distribution to the states happens at the federal level.  States will then handle it from there.

Are we arguing that the federal vaccine rollout should have been a complete solution from acquisition  - all the way injection into arms?

DaveSchmidt said:

Since this is a discussion, I’m open to guidance on what Cuomo actually said.

Sure, it's here - 

DaveSchmidt said:

PVW said:

mtierney said:

One example, more to follow...

What was the federal distribution plan in this posted example?

jamie said:

I have no idea what the argument is. LOL

From where I stand, there is no argument. I was simply hoping, with a little help, to resolve my uncertainty about some context from the past year that mtierney’s and ml1’s comments raised for me.

Dennis_Seelbach said:

Talk about "both-siderism"...Laughable !

nohero said:

Sure, it's here -

Thank you, both. I can always count on you for assistance.

DaveSchmidt said:

PVW said:

I think that's right on the narrow point, but wrong in the broader one. To me, the relevant part was what you ended with here, "the fact that the White House had no plan regardless".

If someone is focused on evaluating Cuomo's performance, these seem weeds worth getting into. It's one thing for the leader of an extremely Democratic state to rack up free political points by bravely standing up against a non-existent Trump plan. In the light of a governor whose bullying attitude is finding less sympathy than it used to, and who looks to have manipulated important data about the pandemic, this looks different.

Of course, this is all very far from any point mtierney is looking to make -- though that's true of any truly interesting points to be made on this thread. I'll confess that for me this thread is mainly an excuse to indulge in more venting than I do on other threads.

PVW said:

I think that's right on the narrow point, but wrong in the broader one.

The narrow point sounded right to me, too, but I wasn’t able to find examples other than Cuomo, which I botched anyway. Hence, the quixotic effort to satisfy my curiosity on a narrow historical point.

Thanks, as always, for all the rest.

DaveSchmidt said:

nohero said:

mtierney said:

I didn't recall objections to vaccine distribution (maybe there were some, but I'm not aware).  This is what I wrote:

ml1
said:

I believe that was actually true. But it was almost exclusively GOP governors raising those objections.

in response to this:

mtierney said:

I totally agree that distribution was/still is totally messed up and caused needless extra anxiety to an already scared public. Whether or not the reasons to allow states to manage getting the vaccine out were the cause, it is too early to judge, but it’s appears that is probably the case. I also remember the objections raised to submitting to Washington dictates last year by governors who claimed to know their populations, etc., best.

Objections from last year, regarding business shutdowns, masks, etc.  Not vaccine distribution.

ml1 said:

DaveSchmidt said:

nohero said:

mtierney said:

I didn't recall objections to vaccine distribution (maybe there were some, but I'm not aware).  This is what I wrote:

ml1
said:

I believe that was actually true. But it was almost exclusively GOP governors raising those objections.

in response to this:

mtierney said:

I totally agree that distribution was/still is totally messed up and caused needless extra anxiety to an already scared public. Whether or not the reasons to allow states to manage getting the vaccine out were the cause, it is too early to judge, but it’s appears that is probably the case. I also remember the objections raised to submitting to Washington dictates last year by governors who claimed to know their populations, etc., best.

Objections from last year, regarding business shutdowns, masks, etc.  Not vaccine distribution.

Sure, that's what you think you said.

mtierney said:

I totally agree that distribution was/still is totally messed up and caused needless extra anxiety to an already scared public. Whether or not  the reasons to allow states to manage getting the vaccine out were the cause, it is too early to judge, but it’s appears that is probably the case. I also remember the objections raised to submitting to Washington dictates last year by governors who claimed to know their populations, etc., best.

drummerboy said:

you only think you remember that.

ml1 said:

ml1 said:

Objections from last year, regarding business shutdowns, masks, etc. Not vaccine distribution.

I misunderstood.

gaah

we're back where we started. LOL

my dear friend ml1 and Name That Tune wizard was wrong when he said "I believe that was actually true."

mt's comment had two parts -

1. governor objections

2. submitting to Washington dictates.

The implication being that Trump was being undermined by the governors.

That was fantasy.

There WERE NO Washington dictates to object to. Any objections raised by governors were mostly objections to dealing with the pandemic as per the science - not as per Washington. (and not for nothing, but the objections actually lined up with what Trump personally believed anyway. no masks, no lockdowns, etc.)

I know I'm not saying anything new here, but we seem to be going around in circles.

drummerboy said:

I know I'm not saying anything new here, but we seem to be going around in circles.

If you insist. Speaking only for myself, ml1's latest comment was clarifying. 

what did it clarify for you?

That regardless of how mtierney, you or I took his comment, he was referring to objections "regarding business shutdowns, masks, etc. Not vaccine distribution."

DaveSchmidt said:

That regardless of how mtierney, you or I took his comment, he was referring to objections "regarding business shutdowns, masks, etc. Not vaccine distribution."

Spinning is a fine art form here, as is the mtierney must be wrong mantra. Bottom line should be learning what went wrong, how to make sure we fix it, and how, God forbid, we will survive another epidemic, pandemic, etc., without foolish political infighting, should one occur in the future.

Getting my second shot of Moderna tomorrow afternoon. Incidentally, without the help of a woman (a vaccine angel) I have never met, I would still be searching for an appointment. This lady, is only one of a number of “angels” who stepped up to help those unable to help themselves. Word of mouth and the kindness of strangers helped to circumvent distribution plans which were unique in every state, city, county, etc creating chaos.

drummerboy said:

gaah

we're back where we started.
LOL

my dear friend ml1 and Name That Tune wizard was wrong when he said "I believe that was actually true."

mt's comment had two parts -

1. governor objections

2. submitting to Washington dictates.

The implication being that Trump was being undermined by the governors.

That was fantasy.

There WERE NO Washington dictates to object to. Any objections raised by governors were mostly objections to dealing with the pandemic as per the science - not as per Washington. (and not for nothing, but the objections actually lined up with what Trump personally believed anyway. no masks, no lockdowns, etc.)

you are correct, there were no federal mandates.  It didn't stop GOP governors from complaining about the possibility however.  

mtierney said:

Bottom line should be learning what went wrong, how to make sure we fix it, and how, God forbid, we will survive another epidemic, pandemic, etc., without foolish political infighting, should one occur in the future.

What, if anything, do you believe the federal government should do differently next time we face a pandemic?

mtierney said:

DaveSchmidt said:

Spinning is a fine art form here, as is the mtierney must be wrong mantra. Bottom line should be learning what went wrong, how to make sure we fix it, and how, God forbid, we will survive another epidemic, pandemic, etc., without foolish political infighting, should one occur in the future.

You've got to be kidding. Obama had set up a Pandemic Office in response to their experience with H1N1 and Ebola, plus wrote a playbook that gave the broad outlines of what to do.

Trump got rid of both of them. Infighting had nothing to do with it. 

Please give me some of what you're smoking.

@mtierney, you wrote your angel helped to circumvent the distribution plans unique in every city - I think you might mean ‘circumnavigate’? ‘Circumvent’ completely changes the meaning of your sentence...  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.