The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

mtierney said:

The fact is Biden avoids the press and has broken a 100 year record for presidents press conferences following election. Second cup of coffee brought clarity.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/08/politics/joe-biden-solo-press-conference-record/index.html

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2021/03/11/for_biden_a_prime_time_address_but_no_press_conferences_145384.html

he answers questions from the press all the freaking time.

which I guess is the same as avoiding them.

If you narrow down the "thing" that you want to claim is a record, then you can find a "record".

At some point (such as the "solo press conferences in the press room") it becomes meaningless.

DaveSchmidt said:

mtierney said:

Why no press conference for 100 days — breaking presidential records? 

Biden has been president for 51 days.

math has a well-known liberal bias.

DaveSchmidt said:

mtierney said:

Why no press conference for 100 days — breaking presidential records? 

Biden has been president for 51 days.

2021 is still young and who know what lies ahead but I have to say that the race for best MOL post of the year already has a strong contender.

Mtierney distilled to her essence in seven words.

mtierney said:

The fact is Biden avoids the press and has broken a 100 year record for presidents press conferences following election. Second cup of coffee brought clarity.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/08/politics/joe-biden-solo-press-conference-record/index.html

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2021/03/11/for_biden_a_prime_time_address_but_no_press_conferences_145384.html

if we're going to be really honest about it, presidential press conferences are a waste of time.  It's reporters asking either leading questions or softballs, and the president trying to respond with talking points instead of real answers.

they're usually theater without any real substance.

mtierney said:

Dec. 22 was after the election. Have a third cup?

President-elect Biden Holiday Remarks and News Conference (CSPAN)

Among the many differences between Biden and Trump -- I have far more confidence that when an administration official says something, for instance Press Secretary Jen Psaki, that's the view of the administration and won't be immediately reversed or contradicted by a late night tweet.

all this talk about how important press conferences supposedly are, reminded me of this:

Why do we even need a Biden presser when we have Psaki?  The outrage over a no-presser shows how little ammo the Hannity side has at the moment.  Not sure how he's doing now - but after the election Sean lost a couple million viewers.

Again - my question to mtierney - would you recommend people give their money to Trump's PAC over the RNC.  Are you confident Donny will be saving America with the money raised?

jamie said:

Again - my question to mtierney - would you recommend people give their money to Trump's PAC over the RNC.  Are you confident Donny will be saving America with the money raised?

No.

Is Donny,  Don Jr.? If not, question answered

Donny is how I refer to the former president, but you knew that.  Maybe I'll refer to him as The Big Don in the future.

I just really hope people aren't giving their money to this guy.  I wonder if the fracture he caused to the GOP is reparable.  Right now - not even close.

Unless i'm misunderstanding the news reports, his press secretary is holding briefings pretty much daily.  Taking questions, giving factual answers, sometimes saying "i'll have to get back to you."  Fine with me, a big relief really.  My impression is that Biden is busy actually doing the job.

Interesting bar graph up there.  Outliers are Nixon (no surprise there) and "the great communicator" RR.  BTW, Weren't they both Republicans?

eta: oops, missed a page. The bar graph "up there" is actually on previous page.

Is Biden going to insist his name appears the stimulus checks like Donny did?

The Treasury Department on Monday finalized a decision to have Trump’s name appear in the memo line of the $1,200 stimulus checks each American will receive as part of the coronavirus relief bill passed by Congress last month, the Washington Post reported.
Engineers have to make a computer programming change and then test the system in order to insert Trump’s name on the checks, which will take time and likely cause a delay in the first batch of checks, two senior officials told the Washington Post.
This will be the first time a president’s name will appear on a disbursement from the IRS, according to the Washington Post.
The IRS will send paper checks to those who don’t have their direct deposit information on file with the agency over the next several months, starting the week of May 4, 2020 with the lowest income filers.
The Treasury Department denied that the checks would be delayed in a statement to Forbes, the “checks are scheduled to go out on time and exactly as planned—there is absolutely no delay whatsoever.”

mtierney said:

Meanwhile, in things that are actually meaningful - 

I already spent my stimmy.

From the New York Times today — believe it or not!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/10/us/politics/biden-coronavirus-vaccine.html

Anyone who paid attention watched the businessman president get the Covid operation warp speed up and running. Three vaccines were approved before the end of his term. He got industry to create, market and distribute the vaccines (remember the post office and fed-ex revamp?

While all this was happening day after day, Biden was holed up in his Delaware basement for four months, wondering if he would win his party’s nomination.

jamie said:

Donny is how I refer to the former president, but you knew that.  Maybe I'll refer to him as The Big Don in the future.

I just really hope people aren't giving their money to this guy.  I wonder if the fracture he caused to the GOP is reparable.  Right now - not even close.

I am a forgetful octogenarian with yet another birthday tomorrow! Somehow, when I read Donny, junior always comes to mind. I think your new idea is a good one. 

Biden is having a very productive "100 days", instead of just talking about what he would do.

mtierney said:

Anyone who paid attention watched the businessman president get the Covid operation warp speed up and running. Three vaccines were approved before the end of his term. He got industry to create, market and distribute the vaccines (remember the post office and fed-ex revamp?

While all this was happening day after day, Biden was holed up in his Delaware basement for four months, wondering if he would win his party’s nomination.

one of the vaccines was developed before Warp Speed even started. (I've told you this before, but it being a fact, you ignored it.) 

Countries around the world have come up with vaccines before we did, or at the same pace. How did they do it without Trump?

Warp Speed had NOTHING to do with the speed in which vaccines were developed. You are free to provide specific details which show that I'm wrong. (ha, sure you will)

He left Biden with no distribution plan for the vaccines. And furthermore kept him in the dark during the transition period.

Everything in your post is wrong.

As usual.

mtierney said:

A disturbingly large percentage of people are saying they won't get vaccinated, and they're concentrated in the Republican party. If believing that Trump is responsible for the vaccines is what it takes for Trumpists to get vaccinated, then believe what you need to believe.

mtierney said:

He got industry to create, market and distribute the vaccines (remember the post office and fed-ex revamp?
I forgot to mention the post office "revamp".

With Postmaster DeJoy he decreased the efficiency of the post office - deliveries were slower than ever - so what exactly are you talking about?

jeebus

mtierney said:

While all this was happening day after day, Biden was holed up in his Delaware basement for four months, wondering if he would win his party’s nomination.

My 82-year-old dad, who wasn’t president, either, also holed up in his Delaware home. Smart.

mtierney said:

While all this was happening day after day, Biden was holed up in his Delaware basement for four months, wondering if he would win his party’s nomination.

you keep on saying this, even though it's not true.

What, exactly, is wrong with you?

mtierney said:

typically terrible false equivalency from the NYT.  The only source quoted praising Trump is a member of his administration.  Unbiased sources say things like this:

Still, corporate, state and federal officials agree that Mr. Biden’s White House has been more active than his predecessor’s in trying to build up the nation’s vaccine stock. 

The new administration’s relationship with Pfizer is markedly better. Mr. Trump and his aides had accused the company of slow-walking its vaccine development to hurt Mr. Trump’s re-election bid. The company announced its vaccine was robustly effective on Nov. 9, nearly a week after Election Day, then filed its application for emergency use authorization on Nov. 20. 

Pfizer officials privately suggested that the Trump administration not only was wrongfully bad-mouthing the company but also had refused for months to invoke the Defense Production Act to order suppliers to prioritize Pfizer’s needs, as it did for the other vaccine developers under federal contract.

and the stuff you wrote yourself is almost entirely untrue.

She sounds just like the “pillow guy”.... they’re both hearing voices from their pillows. 

mtierney said:

Biden may have been "holed up in his basement" as you call it, but he set a good example and didn't get COVID. He was mocked for wearing a mask - by the many cartoons that you posted. Trump set a poor example, didn't wear a mask and had rallies and events where people didn't wear masks - and he got COVID. It was only because he was able to get the monoclonal antibodies, which nobody else could get,  that he's alive today. 

mtierney said:

Moderna developed their vaccine 5 months before Warp Speed was announced. Pfizer wasn’t far behind and wasn’t a part of Warp Speed. J&J was already working with BARDA 2 months before Warp Speed. The Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine was already in testing last March, too, and we still haven’t approved that one for the US (worse than that, we have tens of millions of doses of the AZ vaccine sitting in warehouses while other countries who have approved it can’t get any).

But again, you know that. We’ve all told you this information. You choose to ignore reality instead. We are where we are despite the failings of President Crimes, not because of him.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.