The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

Coming attractions, for what's coming to the Rose Garden in 2021 - 

C'mon, it's unfair to make this comparison before we hear the Trump family's warm wishes for the holiday.

We've only had one holiday expression so far, the First Lady's heartfelt  thoughts about her love of the WH Xmas tree tradition.

Okay, back to reality, as Trump continues his efforts to poison politics and make people hate each other long after his Presidency is just a bad memory.  

Give it a rest, guys  — eat some turkey later today, and give thanks, and be grateful that you are living in the United States of America.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/11/24/the-first-thanksgiving-was-a-celebration-of-abundance-as-much-as-it-was-a-relief-from-loss/

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1331988084636987392?s=21

GL2 said:

C'mon, it's unfair to make this comparison before we hear the Trump family's warm wishes for the holiday.

We've only had one holiday expression so far, the First Lady's heartfelt  thoughts about her love of the WH Xmas tree tradition.

By the way, Trump tweeted that bit of Thanksgiving joy (his lie about a "rigged election") as he was arriving to play more golf.  On Thanksgiving.  

ridski said:

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1331988084636987392?s=21

GL2 said:

He tweeted his "Happy Covid Thanksgiving!" tweet only after he pushed the "rigged election" lie.  He has his priorities, after all.  

I am thankful for the fact that Biden will be President on January 20

mtierney said:

Give it a rest, guys  — eat some turkey later today, and give thanks, and be grateful that you are living in the United States of America.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/11/24/the-first-thanksgiving-was-a-celebration-of-abundance-as-much-as-it-was-a-relief-from-loss/

I suppose one of the hard lessons of the last four years is that a country is as much something youdo as something you live in, and that democracy requires a lot more of that doing. On the one hand, it's been a shock to realize how fragile democracy is, how easy it can be to lose it, and how much support an authoritarian fool can draw by appealing to fear and hatred.

OTOH, perhaps this struggle is the essence of democratic government, that we have to actively choose it each time, and that it's far from a given that we will do so. Perhaps the lesson is to accept this anxiety as the cost of democracy, and to be thankful that this time we did re-affirm it.

Ah, I see that the Trump syndrome has no cure....

Maybe my optimism about God and Country comes from my father.

Trump's syndrome has no cure - it's all about narcissism and getting your way through legal means - it's the story of his life.  I'm surprised your still on the Trump train - perhaps you could at least let us know what proof he has of voter fraud - because after numerous court filings he has yet to do so.  He's completely unhinged more then ever.  Yet, his email fundraising beg-a-thon continues and his followers keep getting conned.

He isn't even able to tweet Happy Thanksgiving - what an absolutely bizarre person!

Here's an email Donny sent out an hour ago (Must have been from the golf cart):

Despite the Left’s attempts to undermine this Election, I will NEVER stop fighting for YOU.

My Administration is achieving things no one thought possible - the stock market is up BIG, the coronavirus vaccine is underway and will be completed safely very soon.

We are accomplishing so much, which is even more reason to step up and DEFEND THE ELECTION! We cannot let the Democrats STEAL this Election from your all-time favorite President. They’ll DESTROY everything we’ve worked so hard for.

I’m calling on YOU to FIGHT BACK. We need to bolster our critical Election Defense Fund if we’re going to keep going. We can’t do this without you.

--------------------

mtierney - would you encourage others to donate to the defense fund?

2300 Americans died from COVID yesterday and Trump issues a proclamation encouraging people to get together on Thanksgiving, contrary to the advice of public health officials. 

PVW said:

mtierney said:

I suppose one of the hard lessons of the last four years is that a country is as much something youdo as something you live in, and that democracy requires a lot more of that doing. On the one hand, it's been a shock to realize how fragile democracy is, how easy it can be to lose it, and how much support an authoritarian fool can draw by appealing to fear and hatred.

OTOH, perhaps this struggle is the essence of democratic government, that we have to actively choose it each time, and that it's far from a given that we will do so. Perhaps the lesson is to accept this anxiety as the cost of democracy, and to be thankful that this time we did re-affirm it.

Yes, I think it is a good wake-up call.

We should also understand that this is not a uniquely American thing. There are (and have been) nationalist populist "strong leaders" all across Europe. I believe this is also because WW2 is now more than a generation behind us, so we are forgetting how dangerous this is (and how the movie will end). 

Lin Wood is a lawyer in Georgia who filed a lawsuit against Ga. Sec. of State Brad Raffensperger. Not much of a conspiracy theorist, is he? 

Do we now have to go back to the Ancients Greeks and the ‘fathers of logic’ to start pointing out the dangers of faulty first premises?? Deep despairing sigh. SOMEBODY, please, get some Critical Thinking Skills juice into your water supplies, quickly! 

cramer said:

Lin Wood is a lawyer in Georgia who filed a lawsuit against Ga. Sec. of State Brad Raffensperger. Not much of a conspiracy theorist, is he? 

joanne said:

cramer said:

Do we now have to go back to the Ancients Greeks and the ‘fathers of logic’ to start pointing out the dangers of faulty first premises?? Deep despairing sigh. SOMEBODY, please, get some Critical Thinking Skills juice into your water supplies, quickly! 

joanne -  As if you needed anything else to convince you the guy is a wacko, there's this: 

https://www.motherjones.com/2020-elections/2020/11/meet-the-lawyer-behind-the-georgia-election-lawsuit-that-trump-is-obsessed-with/  

mtierney said:

I don't know if it's cute or horrific that people still believe these stupid myths about Thanksgiving.

Leaning towards horrific.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/thanksgiving-myth-and-what-we-should-be-teaching-kids-180973655/

Of course, one has to decide whether to believe an article in The Smithsonian or the used toilet paper of thefederalist.

drummerboy said:

Of course, one has to decide whether to believe an article in The Smithsonian or the used toilet paper of thefederalist.

Maybe posting at 3 am is a bad idea? A constipated mind is, well, constipated and unable to process America’s fabled history.

mtierney said:

drummerboy said:

Maybe posting at 3 am is a bad idea? A constipated mind is, well, constipated and unable to process America’s fabled history.

You think what you do is processing?

It's unreflective regurgitation, while swatting facts away left and right like so many annoying gnats.

cramer said:

Covid-19 isn't partisan, but in general Covidiots are.

drummerboy said:

mtierney said:

I don't know if it's cute or horrific that people still believe these stupid myths about Thanksgiving.

Leaning towards horrific.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/thanksgiving-myth-and-what-we-should-be-teaching-kids-180973655/

Of course, Donald Trump didn't use the day to give thanks and be grateful.  He went golfing and then went on another unhinged rant about the election again.

mtierney said:

I think the key here is knowing the difference between a fable and history.

mtierney said:

Interesting that you used the word "fabled", which can be used to mean "mythical".

Thanks, Cramer. I couldn’t read or respond earlier (first round of chemo; they changed my drugs at last minute and there was almost 4 hr delay... then the sleepy reactioncheese. ) 

People should be quite fit from all the mental gymnastics they’re performing to keep their world views semi-coherent. It’s a pity they don’t seem to sound like they match that level of fitness.

(Took me a while to digest the background goings-on for Drudge Report and Refdesk, and more)

I always found the teaching of US history interesting. It seems to be a series of dates, mythological beings, and the first two sentences of important documents and speeches.

ridski said:

I always found the teaching of US history interesting. It seems to be a series of dates, mythological beings, and the first two sentences of important documents and speeches.

It can also be pretty regional. My impression of history was that people on the east coast had the revolution, and then the important bit was conestoga wagons and manifest destiny.

Am I the only one who is kind of bummed out by the nazi coddling going on in the main forum?  If your neighbor burned a cross on your lawn would you be inviting them over for "pandemic musings" the next afternoon?

These people are not "good germans".  There needs to be accountability for what has been done over the last four years.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!