The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

When the cadre of candidates begins to eat their young, there might be only damaged goods left for the voters to consider. Got to glean that herd quickly!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/20/us/wine-cave-craig-hall.html

it's astounding to me that you would write such a thing, as if you don't recall how many GOP candidates were tearing into each other during the 2015-16 debates.

well, it's astounding for any sentient person to write such a thing.

It's just par for the course for mt.

hey, remember when trump said he'd be too busy working at presidenting to play any golf, unlike that lazy black obama guy?

good times

P.s. he's probably the only guy on the planet who earns money when he goes golfing.

Nancy Pelosi has stated that Clinton had been impeached for “being stupid“. 

Moderator Jake Tapper noted that polls in swing districts show that moderate voters have begun to oppose impeachment, and asked whether Pelosi would regret the proceedings if they ultimately help Trump win re-election.

"This isn't about politics at all," Pelosi insisted. "This is about patriotism. It's not about partisanship. It's about honoring our oath of office. This is the first president that has committed all of these things as the constitutional experts said yesterday.

“Nobody has ever even come close. Not Richard Nixon even came close to his dishonoring his own oath of office."

Monica Lewinsky, et al, apparently, were victims of stupidity? An older, married husband and father, and POTUS, was too stupid to know the consequences of his actions and potential political fall-out? Where is the MeToo movement  in regard Pelosi’s callous comments?

I still can’t believe that in my lifetime most of Australia’s productive land is destroyed through horrific fires we can’t put out because the government sold off the water rights and keeps refusing international help; the British monarchy will probably fall, and so will the Union, possibly the Commonwealth; and the US democracy will probably shatter through subservience to the influence of $$$, and fear of ‘white racism’ (my parents’ ghosts are recoiling), worship of gun ownership, and the rise of the school bully. 
mtierney, I can’t believe you actually seem proud to repost a defence of anything that proclaims the need to rely on a bloc of people defending the minority white race’. For Heavens’ sake, we’re all just people and isn’t this meant to be the season, the week of love??

Listen to  John Lennon fading in the background...

joanne said:

I still can’t believe that in my lifetime most of Australia’s productive land is destroyed through horrific fires we can’t put out because the government sold off the water rights and keeps refusing international help; the British monarchy will probably fall, and so will the Union, possibly the Commonwealth; and the US democracy will probably shatter through subservience to the influence of $$$, and fear of ‘white racism’ (my parents’ ghosts are recoiling), worship of gun ownership, and the rise of the school bully. 
mtierney, I can’t believe you actually seem proud to repost a defence of anything that proclaims the need to rely on a bloc of people defending the minority white race’. For Heavens’ sake, we’re all just people and isn’t this meant to be the season, the week of love??

Joanne, I have no clue what you are referring to.

mtierney said:

joanne said:

Joanne, I have no clue what you are referring to.

What a surprise !

mtierney said:

Nancy Pelosi has stated that Clinton had been impeached for “being stupid“. 

Moderator Jake Tapper noted that polls in swing districts show that moderate voters have begun to oppose impeachment, and asked whether Pelosi would regret the proceedings if they ultimately help Trump win re-election.

"This isn't about politics at all," Pelosi insisted. "This is about patriotism. It's not about partisanship. It's about honoring our oath of office. This is the first president that has committed all of these things as the constitutional experts said yesterday.

“Nobody has ever even come close. Not Richard Nixon even came close to his dishonoring his own oath of office."

Monica Lewinsky, et al, apparently, were victims of stupidity? An older, married husband and father, and POTUS, was too stupid to know the consequences of his actions and potential political fall-out? Where is the MeToo movement  in regard Pelosi’s callous comments?

Being stupid and being guilty of sexual harassment are not mutually exclusive. 

Clinton-Lewinsky was not a case of sexual harassment. No way. No how. It was definitely a case of stupidity.

mtierney said:

I have no clue 

Truer words were never spoken.

Mtierney, which part of my post is unclear? I’ll endeavour to check back within the hour. 

joanne said:

Mtierney, which part of my post is unclear? I’ll endeavour to check back within the hour. 

Don't hold your breath.

Joanne, this...

“I still can’t believe that in my lifetime most of Australia’s productive land is destroyed through horrific fires we can’t put out because the government sold off the water rights and keeps refusing international help; the British monarchy will probably fall, and so will the Union, possibly the Commonwealth; and the US democracy will probably shatter through subservience to the influence of $$$, and fear of ‘white racism’ (my parents’ ghosts are recoiling), worship of gun ownership, and the rise of the school bully. 

“Mtierney, I can’t believe you actually seem proud to repost a defence of anything that proclaims the need to rely on a bloc of people defending the minority white race’. For Heavens’ sake, we’re all just people and isn’t this meant to be the season, the week of love??

The above

Looks like the entire post. I won't get into Australian stuff apart from the fires burning away our east coast since September, including outskirts of Sydney, and Perth since October and Adelaide for weeks. The fires, ash  clouds, smoke have made international news for weeks. The dirt & ash clouds have reached NZ. 

Our PM & govt are basically just praying the fires away, you can read all about it. It's fairly obvious we'll have to totally re-create our agricultural sector if we survive summer - we're yet to see if our govt will survive.

You must have read about Prince Andrew's 'difficulties' leading to his stepping down from official duties indefinitely, and also read of people's disgust with the way Boris Johnson has treated the Queen, the number of elections the UK has had recently, the Brexit disaster (leading to a shocking mishandling of citizenship & immigration cases). You surely cannot be unaware that many people are saying once Her Majesty has passed on, the U.K. should move to a republic (Charles is too old, Anne isn't in the close line, Andrew is out of favour); and especially since the election, that Scotland is talking about leaving the United Kingdom. If this happens, and the Brexit deal affects Ireland & Northern Ireland the way people think, there's another member gone. So Wales will go - no more United kingdom. Maybe only England/Britain. 

So that leaves what you posted: the part where your quote referred to Republicans and Trump relying on white evangelists. I'll have to end here so I can find that bit to re-quote it. 

Aha!

"...The power of the evangelicals as a voting bloc is in their sheer size, and in their symbiotic relationship with the president. “Because they are a third of the Republican base, Trump needs white evangelical Protestants to get elected,” said Robert P. Jones, chief executive of the Public Religion Research Institute. “And because white evangelicals see themselves as a shrinking minority, in both racial and religious terms, they need Trump.”..."

mtierney, please note the prominence of the adjective 'white'. There's no need for colour/race in a political discussion if you're trying to unite a nation - you find concepts to bring you together, to join disparate parts. Writing about white people of faith seeing themselves as a shrinking minority - reposting this in defence of your president - is in fact what reads to those of us outside the US and those of us who are Second Generation as a betrayal of 'All men are created equal'

I guess the fervor of your post...

“Mtierney, I can’t believe you actually seem proud to repost a defence of anything that proclaims the need to rely on a bloc of people defending the minority white race’. For Heavens’ sake, we’re all just people and isn’t this meant to be the season, the week of love??”

had me wondering why the posting of a much discussed article in Christianity Today and the discussion following in all media for days triggered such a response directed at me? How did I “seem proud” ? 

Yet another CT reaction ....

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/22/opinion/christianity-today-trump.html

From the link....

“Thursday night, Christianity Today, long known as the “flagship” magazine of American evangelicalism, broke the internet with an editorial arguing for the impeachment and removal of Donald Trump from office. The piece, penned by the magazine’s outgoing editor, Mark Galli, implored evangelicals to consider the “unambiguous facts” of the impeachment case against the president, maintaining his actions not only violated the Constitution, but were also “profoundly immoral.”

The reaction — particularly from non-evangelicals — was excited and swift. “Whoa” and “big deal” led links to the piece on Twitter, suggesting that, after Mr. Trump spent four wildly successful years consolidating the support of white evangelicals, the magazine’s lofty stand would finally trigger a fatal exodus by this crucial demographic. The magazine’s website, apparently buckling under the unusual spate of traffic, was down for part of the evening, but that did not stop the avalanche of coverage on television, news sites and social media. “This is mainstream evangelical Christianity leadership,” remarked CNN’s Wolf Blitzer, reading segments of the “amazing” editorial on the air.

For many outsiders, Christianity Today seems to speak for millions of evangelicals. After all, the magazine was founded by Billy Graham, the pastor to presidents since Eisenhower. A pro-impeachment editorial would appear to be a game-changer — undermining the seemingly unmovable support for the president among white evangelicals.

That assumption, though, profoundly misapprehends American evangelicalism in the Trump era.

Since his 2016 election, in which 81 percent of white evangelicals voted for him, Mr. Trump continues to enjoy their unwavering loyalty. Three-quarters of white evangelicals approve of his job performance, and 80 percent of them remain opposed to impeaching him.”

By continuing to repost these articles that purport to show how much in favour of this man  (thereby demonstrating supposedly how Christian he is), especially at this time of year, you’re not innocently defending an unpopular perspective. 

Let’s be honest: no-one ‘broke the internet’ last week. Everything has been functioning as usual. But many people were surprised and thought finally some sense had broken through. 
There is no way you can uphold your current president as a shining example of a good Christian. (I personally find his defence of my faith an unnecessary embarrassment that does more harm than good, and wish he could stay away from all Mid-East matters) To equate him as the Defender of the White Race/White Christians, as seems to be implied by the political bloc support for him despite his moral failings including in office feels as much an act of pogrom as any event my father told me of his childhood in Poland. So reposting those articles is furthering the work, not of good suffering Christians, but of cynical party hacks who know exactly how to twist grassroot sentiment into blind fear.

They can write ‘editorials’/explanations all they like, saying they think he’s moral and right for this time and place. How many times have you personally complained of the dearth of manners in modern society? Shouldn’t your head of state set the example?? He’s old enough to know how, he’s not a child.  
[I haven’t had coffee yet, and have just realised I’m feeling quite dizzy. It’s early morning her, Christmas Eve. Gonna be a heatwave. I think I might be getting a migraine, sorry. It’s all the smoke, we haven’t had a clear day since early September]
If I sound angry or passionate, it’s because I am angry. Almost all the South Australian vineyards have been burnt and will take almost a decade to come back - that’s a century of agricultural history. Qld vineyards and orchards gone. Our grazing lands, wheat fields... we have no mighty rivers any more. But our PM thinks we ‘were anxious’ because he went to Hawaii for a vacation instead of leading the discussions on recovery and aid! He’s upset we can’t play cricket or go sailing because the sportsmen are affected by smoke, and the telecasts don’t look good.

In the UK, Johnson reckons they’ll be out of the EU in a month. Yeah, right. (Meantime, the royal family is facing real prospects of both Elizabeth and Philip dying in the next couple of years, and probable retirement of the next in line. Regime change is unspoken but in the air. Johnson better be careful.)

I’d better stop.

Please take care of yourself, and let us all pray for Peace — personally, politically, and globally.

We soon will get the gift of a new year — how incredibly fortunate we are.

Thank you for the kind wishes. I'm grateful for whoever invented maxolon.

I find it hard to muster my customary optimism however. 

joanne said:

I’d better stop.

A new year is an artificial gift, a quirk of the calendar. Your comments are the real thing. Thank you, joanne.

DaveSchmidt said:

joanne said:

I’d better stop.

A new year is an artificial gift, a quirk of the calendar. Your comments are the real thing. Thank you, joanne.

I second that.  I remember you saying something once about restraining yourself because you don't live in the community but I consider you a true neighbour.

Let us all try to keep the Spirit of Christmas alive — at least until 2020!

mtierney said:

Let us all try to keep the Spirit of Christmas alive — at least until 2020!

Is the Spirit of Christmas where we wish Peace and Joy to all people, instead of locking kids in cages?  

“It’s the economy, stupid!”

“Ebenezer Pelosi.”

Now I get it.

Trump's thing food from the mouthes of the poor and locking kids in cages and its "Ebenezer Pelosi"?

Right.....

Just adding non-argumentative substance to thIs post....Let’s wait until 2020 to start up hurling insults again....

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/26/nyregion/nyc-skyline-lights.html

Photo credit to Mark...

The year has totally harshed my snark. Like, "This shows what an awful racist, sexist, etc. you are!" and the response is "Yeah, I know. What's your point?"

Disarms the siht out of me.

GL2 said:

The year has totally harshed my snark. Like, "This shows what an awful racist, sexist, etc. you are!" and the response is "Yeah, I know. What's your point?"

Disarms the siht out of me.

the nihilism is upsetting. It's tough to come to the realization that an awful lot of people don't give a damn about making our country better. Their chief goal is liberal tears at any cost. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.