The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

Or, perhaps President Clinton will be at the helm?

non-responsive. 

Why are you so Clinton-obsessed?

I have been listening to and watching her public comments over the last couple of weeks.

mtierney said:

Or, perhaps President Clinton will be at the helm?

There will be no new Hillary campaign.  

To paraphrase a line from the movie "Mean Girls" - Stop trying to make Hillary2020 happen.

mtierney said:

I have been listening to and watching her public comments over the last couple of weeks.

You've been obsessed for a much longer time than a few weeks. Just ignore her. She's not going to run. And even if she did, primary voters aren't going to give her their support. 

And you still haven't responded to my question. You say you want a discussion but then you duck any question that makes you uncomfortable. 

Regarding recent HRC spottings:  I believe Hillary and Chelsea are out on the interview circuit in support of a book they've written.  And of course interviewers are asking H questions about 45 and impeachment, since that seems to be all anyone talks about, and she has relevant experience.

Hillary and Chelsea's book out today on N Y Time's best seller list. Good for them.

I’m getting lost and confused what with the various developments and statements on Syria, Turkey, the Montana school bomb, Ukraine vs impeachment vs ‘go to War for President Trump!’ And then the debates... How on earth do you keep it all straight? Is this why you don’t have fuller news services?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/oct/15/montana-explosive-device-elementary-school

Trump surrendering US military bases to the Russians (as our allies are butchered before the eyes of our helpless soldiers) really does put Benghazi in a new perspective.

Klinker said:

Trump surrendering US military bases to the Russians (as our allies are butchered before the eyes of our helpless soldiers) really does put Benghazi in a new perspective.

Except for the disclaimer: "No white Americans were killed in the course of this betrayal."

From: https://twitter.com/andrewsweiss/status/1184140156690939904?s=20 

"Longer, haunting video from gonzo Russian military 'journalists' strolling around hastily abandoned US military facility in #Mandij and reveling in the humiliation of US withdrawal from northern Syria "

After the intro, lots of shots of them roaming around inside the military base.

;feature=youtu.be

Can anyone justify a salary of $50K a month for sitting on a board? If his last name wasn’t Biden, that is. 

Perhaps all reference to a politician’s extended family should be an off-topic for campaigns. Focus solely on the candidate’s merits, policy platform, delivery, charisma Or lack there of, etc. Right now, Warren’s family has been in the background — except for genetic heritage, of course. Of the 24, now 12 candidates, I have little awareness of personal or past family background. Let the candidates make their cases — let voters judge.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/15/us/politics/hunter-biden-interview.html

mtierney said:

Can anyone justify a salary of $50K a month for sitting on a board? If his last name wasn’t Biden, that is. 

A couple of American energy companies for comparison: A member of Exxon’s board earns about $28,000 per month, and a typical Chevron director around $33,000 a month.

For the record, the original reporting on Biden’s monthly pay described it as “up to” $50,000.

Putting that aside for a second, any comments on this from Turkey??

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-17/turkey-president-recep-tayyip-erdogan-refuses-to-meet-mike-pence/11609788

(I’ve forgotten which thread we’re discussing it on, and I’m trying to keep it out of election discussions)

joanne said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-17/turkey-president-recep-tayyip-erdogan-refuses-to-meet-mike-pence/11609788

(I’ve forgotten which thread we’re discussing it on, and I’m trying to keep it out of election discussions)

Its all a part of the constant calculations that we American's have to do each day as we try to distinguish what is actual treason and what is just astounding incompetence.  

mtierney said:

Perhaps all reference to a politician’s extended family should be an off-topic for campaigns. Focus solely on the candidate’s merits, policy platform, delivery, charisma Or lack there of, etc. Right now, Warren’s family has been in the background — except for genetic heritage, of course. Of the 24, now 12 candidates, I have little awareness of personal or past family background. Let the candidates make their cases — let voters judge.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/15/us/politics/hunter-biden-interview.html

Biden will not be the nominee so this is all pretty much beside the point.  We might as well be discussing Tulsi Gabbards ties to defense contractors.

Klinker said:

joanne said:

Its all a part of the constant calculations that we American's have to do each day as we try to distinguish what is actual treason and what is just astounding incompetence.  

( Sorry for the delayed response. It's very early morning here, but I just can't sleep)

I think you and I are gathering different things out of this article. Against the the broader backdrop of potential formal Investigestions/Trials etc, I'm picking out immediate unconditional rejection of any diplomatic solutions or discussions, any trade or economic penalties, the impossibly short deadline for the Kurdish population to leave the 'disputed territory' (to go where? How? With what guarantee of safe passage?), and further dictatorial ravings threatening total obliteration if they don't comply.

On the one hand, we kinda expect this of dictators. On the other, Erdogan has been trying pretty hard to convince us Turkey is more like Europe than we'll admit admit; we should acknowledge and respect the differences.  

Really doesn't look like your troops are coming home, in any meaningful way (apart from in body bags or wounded/discharged), until sometime next year. 

I’m not defending the idiocy/ethical optic of any particular politicians family making money on their families name and power.   It shouldn’t be done. However the handwringing about 50,000 per month is so laughable.  Math says 50,000 times 12 is 600,000.   

So  Biden has a 600k salary and these extra rich commentators and republican strategists and donors are upset?   oh oh

Gullibility of the American public is unlimited.  

Trumps kids are probably raking in millions, what with patents given out by Chinese dictators and 100k speaking fees.  Smh. 

I know, right? Imagine if ex-presidents or even first ladies made millions from speaking engagements.

lord_pabulum said:

I know, right? Imagine if ex-presidents or even first ladies made millions from speaking engagements.

50k is how much Don Jr got paid to sit on a stage with his girlfriend in University of Florida last week for an hour.

I believe Hunter Biden just permitted his name to be associated with the board to earn $600K a year - for how many years? How many deals? He apparently has other sources of income.

The Clintons and Obamas each got $15M advances for their multiple books — and the newest mother and daughter book was considerably more lucrative.

Truly, there had few people in the world who can comprehend having this amount of money. Personally, I am bummed if I go shopping and find I left the coupons at home.

mtierney said:

I believe Hunter Biden just permitted his name to be associated with the board to earn $600K a year - for how many years? How many deals? He apparently has other sources of income.

The Clintons and Obamas each got $15M advances for their multiple books — and the newest mother and daughter book was considerably more lucrative.

Truly, there had few people in the world who can comprehend having this amount of money. Personally, I am bummed if I go shopping and find I left the coupons at home.

I don't understand begrudging someone money from selling books.

Unless of course you just hate them in the first place.

And yet again, this is the height of irony coming from a Trump supporter.

and let's talk about what's going on in the Rose Garden today:

President Trump seems wholly unconcerned with the Kurds he left without backup in Syria.

After pulling U.S. troops from the Kurdish-held area of Syria and promptly allowing Turkey to invade, Trump said in the Oval Office on Wednesday that America’s Kurdish allies are “safe” because “Syria’s protecting” them. That’s not true, but Trump doesn’t seem to care regardless, adding that the Kurds are “no angels, by the way.”
Once the U.S. pulled support from the Kurds who led America’s fight against ISIS, Turkey quickly attacked the region and unquestionably killed Kurds along the way. But Trump brushed off the incursion on Wednesday, saying “If Turkey goes into Syria it is between Turkey and Syria. It’s not our problem.” “They’ve got a lot of sand over there… There’s a lot of sand that they can play with,” he said of the Turkish attacks that have already slaughtered dozens of Kurds. Trump also shrugged off how Russia has already started trolling the U.S. by sending troops to the region and said it’s fine for Russia to start supporting Syria.

Trump seems to have forgotten that, like critics and allies on both sides of the aisle have told him, the Kurds lost about 11,000 of their own troops during America’s fight against ISIS.

Classy guy this one.

mtierney said:

The guy you wanted to be president spends more than 600k a year on golfing weekends at his own properties, and it's our money that he's spending there. In fact he spends millions of our money per year and yet you come here and defend him day in day out.

As far as book deals are concerned, if a publisher thinks it will make a fortune on book sales, it will offer a large advance. James Patterson got between $100 and $150 million dollars to write 11 adult books and 6 children's books. He made his publisher $50 million in book sales in the first 2 years of that deal. If you can make money for your bosses, you'll get paid. That's capitalism in a nutshell.

This happened too:

Documents obtained by ProPublica show stark differences in how Donald Trump’s businesses reported some expenses, profits and occupancy figures for two Manhattan buildings, giving a lender different figures than they provided to New York City tax authorities. The discrepancies made the buildings appear more profitable to the lender — and less profitable to the officials who set the buildings’ property tax.

For instance, Trump told the lender that he took in twice as much rent from one building as he reported to tax authorities during the same year, 2017. He also gave conflicting occupancy figures for one of his signature skyscrapers, located at 40 Wall Street.

Lenders like to see a rising occupancy level as a sign of what they call “leasing momentum.” Sure enough, the company told a lender that 40 Wall Street had been 58.9% leased on Dec. 31, 2012, and then rose to 95% a few years later. The company told tax officials the building was 81% rented as of Jan. 5, 2013.

A dozen real estate professionals told ProPublica they saw no clear explanation for multiple inconsistencies in the documents. The discrepancies are “versions of fraud,” said Nancy Wallace, a professor of finance and real estate at the Haas School of Business at the University of California-Berkeley. “This kind of stuff is not OK.”

Note the year 2017 - when he was President.

drummerboy said:

Let's make it a trifecta for today.

There really is no excuse for the man or for his disgusting supporters.

News outlets say this letter has been confirmed by the White House as genuine.

Which means he's nuts, and we're all in trouble.

drummerboy said:

This happened too:

Documents obtained by ProPublica show stark differences in how Donald Trump’s businesses reported some expenses, profits and occupancy figures for two Manhattan buildings, giving a lender different figures than they provided to New York City tax authorities. The discrepancies made the buildings appear more profitable to the lender — and less profitable to the officials who set the buildings’ property tax.

For instance, Trump told the lender that he took in twice as much rent from one building as he reported to tax authorities during the same year, 2017. He also gave conflicting occupancy figures for one of his signature skyscrapers, located at 40 Wall Street.

Lenders like to see a rising occupancy level as a sign of what they call “leasing momentum.” Sure enough, the company told a lender that 40 Wall Street had been 58.9% leased on Dec. 31, 2012, and then rose to 95% a few years later. The company told tax officials the building was 81% rented as of Jan. 5, 2013.

A dozen real estate professionals told ProPublica they saw no clear explanation for multiple inconsistencies in the documents. The discrepancies are “versions of fraud,” said Nancy Wallace, a professor of finance and real estate at the Haas School of Business at the University of California-Berkeley. “This kind of stuff is not OK.”

Note the year 2017 - when he was President.

it won't matter to the GOP Senate or to his followers.  But it might mean he's going to jail when he leaves office.

nohero said:

maybe the Twenty-Fifth Amendment people can do something about it

nohero said:

Also, it’s a week old, which mean Erdogan read it and fully ignored it.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.