The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

ml1 said:

Here's a better shot of our handsome guy. 

Did you introduce him into the family while your older cat was showing signs of fragility? I doubt a companion would cheer my cat up at this point, however. She’s been an only feline in residence since we found her.

That word, frail, fits my cat’s condition. She is very thin, but still loves to eat, although her food now is for senior cats — mushy. Arthritis and old age. I can feel her pain.

Back to politics..

What is wrong with this picture?

Sec C has a story on the twin towers attack. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/10/movies/9-11-twin-towers-tv-movies.html

A debate about whether remembering 9/11 is relevant today — as if it could be too hurtful to remember our recent history.

mtierney said:

Did you introduce him into the family while your older cat was showing signs of fragility? I doubt a companion would cheer my cat up at this point, however. She’s been an only feline in residence since we found her.

That word, frail, fits my cat’s condition. She is very thin, but still loves to eat, although her food now is for senior cats — mushy. Arthritis and old age. I can feel her pain.

he arrived a week after our other older cat passed away, so she's never been an only cat.

mtierney said:

A debate about whether remembering 9/11 is relevant today — as if it could be too hurtful to remember our recent history.

I guess it's an artistic decision regarding whether or not the depiction of the towers distracts and takes the viewer out of the moment.  This song was actually released on September 11, 2001.  And the depiction of the WTC remained in the video.  So it's not as though our history is being eliminated.  It depends on the circumstances.

Anyone see this bit about Trump wanting the Fed to take interest rates below zero?  As if the value of an MBA from Wharton could get any lower.  

mtierney said:

so what's wrong with the picture?

Obviously, the question is Why isn't the anniversary more prominent especially in the the City's own newspaper? Look at the relative trivia that's taken prominence over such a significant date & event. 

To which, all I can reply is, I'm sorry. 

Look at the current crop of world leaders. Are you really surprised they're not just thinking about themselves, as usual?

joanne said:

Obviously, the question is Why isn't the anniversary more prominent especially in the the City's own newspaper? Look at the relative trivia that's taken prominence over such a significant date & event. 

Look at the current crop of world leaders. Are you really surprised they're not just thinking about themselves, as usual?

exactly how long are we supposed to self-flagellate about 9/11? It's become an exercise in masochism if you ask me.

drummerboy said:

joanne said:

exactly how long are we supposed to self-flagellate about 9/11? It's become an exercise in masochism if you ask me.

A generation or two? We had Pearl Harbor, we had the traitorous attack on Ft. Sumter, etc. 

We must not forget. But we also must move on, trying to set up conditions to minimize these kind of events. We mustn't wallow in the maudlin.

In 1940-1941 Britain was bombed constantly by the Germans. During one two-month period at the end of 1940 London was bombed every single night -- like having 9/11 every night, in the dark, for two months. They coped. They grieved and remembered lost loved ones. But they didn't spend time at memorials and other grief expression spots for the rest of their lives. 

We have businessmen who have added millions to their bank balances off this.
We had politicians who made a career out of this.
We live in a society that wants to wallow and bronze its pain and suffering forever. Tomorrow's citizens, who have no personal connection to 911, will dutifully wipe their eyes and blow their noses at the right buzz words because that's what they have been conditioned to do.

(going back to the preceding page) Oh joanne, that's awful!  I was reading your pic as shadows on the ground, not ash!!  And rain forest too!  As a former Angeleno, I was used to brush fires (not happy events, but part of the natural system), but not rain forest.  Holy ****.  And all best to you there.

BG9 said:

drummerboy said:

joanne said:

A generation or two? We had Pearl Harbor, we had the traitorous attack on Ft. Sumter, etc. 

We must not forget. But we also must move on, trying to set up conditions to minimize these kind of events. We mustn't wallow in the maudlin.

In 1940-1941 Britain was bombed constantly by the Germans. During one two-month period at the end of 1940 London was bombed every single night -- like having 9/11 every night, in the dark, for two months. They coped. They grieved and remembered lost loved ones. But they didn't spend time at memorials and other grief expression spots for the rest of their lives. 

We have businessmen who have added millions to their bank balances off this.
We had politicians who made a career out of this.
We live in a society that wants to wallow and bronze its pain and suffering forever. Tomorrow's citizens, who have no personal connection to 911, will dutifully wipe their eyes and blow their noses at the right buzz words because that's what they have been conditioned to do.

Where did the last part of your post come from?

Speaking as a (former) Manhattanite who experienced the day and the days that followed in a very vivid fashion I could stand to give the whole thing a rest. 

A ceremony for the families?  Certainly.  The front page of the Times?  No. 

These things bring pain to those were involved, all to satisfy the vulgar voyeurism of those who should be praying that they are never forced to understand. 

drummerboy said:

Where did the last part of your post come from?

A few years ago from a newspaper comment.

Coverage of yesterday's remembrances, featured on today's NYT front page.  So we can stop arguing about it.

A day late, in my opinion. It appears on the front page of the N.Y. edition, not on the digital edition.

This article is in the N.Y. region section. I guess the rest of the nation is being told to shut up already.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/11/nyregion/september-11-tribute-ceremony.html

mtierney said:

A day late, in my opinion.

They can't cover the tributes before they happen.

In yesterday's paper, there was a very good article on the post-traumatic stress experienced by people who had escaped that day, including the personal story of a Port Authority official who had been on a high floor and ran down all those stairs.  It discussed the need to address the psychological scars of those people, as well as those with physical effects.

I thought that was an appropriate time to cover that, with coverage of the tributes once they had taken place.

[Edited to add]  When I first responded, what I quoted was all that was in the post.  I won't comment further on the additions added with an edit, but it's not an accurate characterization.

nohero

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:04am

mtierney said:

Seriously? I am sure there are thousands of stock photos from which the paper could have found a reminder of 9/11 for use on 9/11. 

The mute button has been pushed on the troubling reminder of how this  monumental attack plan was put into motion and executed. Too painful to relive respectfully annually? Who is making that decision?

mtierney said:

Seriously? I am sure there are thousands of stock photos from which the paper could have found a reminder of 9/11 for use on 9/11. 

The mute button has been pushed on the troubling reminder of how this  monumental attack plan was put into motion and executed. Too painful to relive respectfully annually? Who is making that decision?

do you really think that any news organization in this country is trying to disappear the events of 9/11?  You couldn't even watch a baseball game last night without being reminded that it was 9/11, with a pre-game tribute to first responders, and 9/11 themed shoes on the players.

the notion that there's a "mute button" on references to 9/11 is beyond absurd.  

ml1 said:

do you really think that any news organization in this country is trying to disappear the events of 9/11?  You couldn't even watch a baseball game last night without being reminded that it was 9/11, with a pre-game tribute to first responders, and 9/11 themed shoes on the players. 

Even the box score. 

In the meantime, is threatening to fire weather forecasters if they don’t falsify their forecasts a high crime or a misdemeanor?

mtierney said:

nohero

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:04am

mtierney said:

You live in such a very weird and bizarre world.

I would be interested in comments on this -

This is a link to the official White House page on the internet, with President Trump's remarks as delivered yesterday at the Pentagon, in observance of the anniversary of the 9-11 attacks:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-september-11th-pentagon-observance-ceremony/

And this is part of what the President said: "I was looking out of a window from a building in Midtown Manhattan, directly at the World Trade Center, when I saw a second plane, at a tremendous speed, go into the second tower. It was then that I realized the world was going to change. I was no longer going to be — and it could never, ever be — that innocent place that I thought it was. Soon after, I went down to Ground Zero with men who worked for me to try to help in any little way that we could. We were not alone. So many others were scattered around trying to do the same. They were all trying to help."

I don't know if Trump claims he did this before or after he saw the "thousands of Muslims" celebrating in New Jersey, as he has also claimed in the past.

Even though not "said in the Rose Garden", any comments on this Presidential whopper, delivered at a memorial ceremony?

There's an interview taken near Ground Zero where he claims he has 100 workers helping out with another 125 on the way, but there is no documentation of these workers being there. He apparently also claimed he donated $10,000 to the 9/11 Fund, but there was no donation.

Also...

To learn more about Trump’s new Rose Garden story, we interviewed Richard Alles, a New York Fire Department battalion chief on Sept. 11, 2001, who was sitting in the audience July 29. He retired as deputy chief in 2017 after 38 years with the department, and he is now director of 9/11 community affairs for the law firm Barasch and McGarry, which represents clients seeking compensation from the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund.

Alles said he had no knowledge of Trump being at the site or sending 100 or so workers there to help.

"I was in a supervisory role with the fire department at the time," said Alles, who said he was on the scene about 20 minutes after the second building collapsed. "I was there for several months — I have no knowledge of his being down there."

If Trump had sent a crew of 100 workers, "there would be a record of it. Everybody worked under direct supervision of the police and fire department and the joint commander for emergency services. Is there a chance he was ever down there by himself and I didn’t know it? It’s possible, but I know of no one who ever witnessed him there."

Trump devoted much of his speech to praising first responders, especially those who suffered harm in responding to the attack and would benefit from the Victim Compensation Fund extension. But Alles said he could tell from his second-row seat that Trump’s "down there" comment was not on the Teleprompter. (The White House did not get back to us on this point.)

"His scripted remarks were very good," Alles said. But when he started to talk about being with first responders, "I was thinking to myself, ‘where are you going?’"

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2019/jul/30/donald-trump-says-he-spent-lot-time-911-responders/

If Trump was downtown ‘helping’ EVERYONE would know it.   He would have made sure of that.   

ridski said:

There's an interview taken near Ground Zero where he claims he has 100 workers helping out with another 125 on the way, but there is no documentation of these workers being there. He apparently also claimed he donated $10,000 to the 9/11 Fund, but there was no donation.

Also...

To learn more about Trump’s new Rose Garden story, we interviewed Richard Alles, a New York Fire Department battalion chief on Sept. 11, 2001, who was sitting in the audience July 29. He retired as deputy chief in 2017 after 38 years with the department, and he is now director of 9/11 community affairs for the law firm Barasch and McGarry, which represents clients seeking compensation from the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund.

Alles said he had no knowledge of Trump being at the site or sending 100 or so workers there to help.

"I was in a supervisory role with the fire department at the time," said Alles, who said he was on the scene about 20 minutes after the second building collapsed. "I was there for several months — I have no knowledge of his being down there."

If Trump had sent a crew of 100 workers, "there would be a record of it. Everybody worked under direct supervision of the police and fire department and the joint commander for emergency services. Is there a chance he was ever down there by himself and I didn’t know it? It’s possible, but I know of no one who ever witnessed him there."

Trump devoted much of his speech to praising first responders, especially those who suffered harm in responding to the attack and would benefit from the Victim Compensation Fund extension. But Alles said he could tell from his second-row seat that Trump’s "down there" comment was not on the Teleprompter. (The White House did not get back to us on this point.)

"His scripted remarks were very good," Alles said. But when he started to talk about being with first responders, "I was thinking to myself, ‘where are you going?’"

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2019/jul/30/donald-trump-says-he-spent-lot-time-911-responders/

Why are we spending time on what this POS says anymore?

basil said:

Why are we spending time on what this POS says anymore?

Because a bunch of idiots made him leader of the free world?

Not all things are Trump related — but he is an easy out target.

The NYPost 9/11 story...

https://nypost.com/2019/09/11/new-york-times-deletes-tweet-saying-airplanes-took-aim-at-towers-on-9-11/

If history gives you heart burn, grab two Tums and rewrite it.

mtierney said:

Not all things are Trump related — but he is an easy out target.

The NYPost 9/11 story...

https://nypost.com/2019/09/11/new-york-times-deletes-tweet-saying-airplanes-took-aim-at-towers-on-9-11/

If history gives you heart burn, grab two Tums and rewrite it.

Any thoughts whatsoever regarding the Administrations threats to fire weather forecasters for accurately forecasting the weather?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.