The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

lord_pabulum said:

ml1 said:

some of the pro-Brexiters don't care how it ***** the Irish.  And some haven't given any thought to how it ***** the Irish.

fairly typical of a country that has never considered the Irish to be as fully human as the British.

The history of Britain and Ireland animosity has been well documented.   Where is your data supporting your pro-Brexiters assumption?  I think you would find that the typical Democrat considers Republicans not to be fully human.  I expect more intelligent comments from you ml1 you're sounding like the colonel or db.

ETA: Congratulations to the majority of MP's in Parliament, the UK now has no leverage with the EU

when, since this brexit crap started, has the UK ever had any leverage with the EU?

Have you been paying attention at all?

PVW said:

Oh, were we still pretending Johnson was negotiating in good faith? Can we stop soon, it's getting tiring.

Yawn

drummerboy said:

drummerboy said:

lord_pabulum said:

ml1 said:

some of the pro-Brexiters don't care how it ***** the Irish.  And some haven't given any thought to how it ***** the Irish.

fairly typical of a country that has never considered the Irish to be as fully human as the British.

The history of Britain and Ireland animosity has been well documented.   Where is your data supporting your pro-Brexiters assumption?  I think you would find that the typical Democrat considers Republicans not to be fully human.  I expect more intelligent comments from you ml1 you're sounding like the colonel or db.

ETA: Congratulations to the majority of MP's in Parliament, the UK now has no leverage with the EU

when, since this brexit crap started, has the UK ever had any leverage with the EU?

db has a thought about another subject it hasn't a clue about.  Unfortunately sesame street isn't doing a piece on this.  Stick to naming animals and colors and you should be good to go.

lord_pabulum said:

db has a thought about another subject it hasn't a clue about.  Unfortunately sesame street isn't doing a piece on this.  Stick to naming animals and colors and you should be good to go.

It seems like this thread is entirely fueled by irony these days.

Klinker said:

It seems like this thread is entirely fueled by irony these days.

As well as those that think they know  how to use grownup words too.  

ETA: you may want to sign up again for the name the color or animal class as well. 2nd time you should be able to pass. (Hint: the reptile with the flat tail used for swimming is an alligator not an apple) . Good luck .

lord_pabulum said:

As well as those that think they know  how to use a grownup words too

Sort of speaks for itself.

Alligator or apple. You will get it eventually Klinker.  In the meantime we'll enjoy your sophmoric rejoinders .

lord_pabulum said:

Alligator or apple. You will get it eventually Klinker.  In the meantime we'll enjoy your sophmoric rejoinders .

Wow, that was an impressive series of intelligent responses (not). Crawl back under your stone please.

basil said:

lord_pabulum said:

Wow, that was an impressive series of intelligent responses (not). Crawl back under your stone please.

Which stone are you under?

We’re discussing the UK here because your President seems to like telling other politicians who should run their nations and how they run them, including their foreign policy and economies. And he keeps telling them, denying their autonomy. 

Given that he apparently barely understands and respects your own governing systems, it’s no wonder he doesn’t understand those of other nations. Yet you’d expect a world leader in such circumstances to be somewhat less noticeable in his (often embarrassing and inaccurate) comments; instead, he keeps insisting, and proving he’s a bullying meddler and an old fool.

My elder clients were really questioning the links b/n Boris and Mr Trump yesterday, and asked who would vote for either of them, why would anyone vote for either of them? These are still still conservative leaning citizens, they’re just appalled at the direction they see society rushing in yet again. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/sep/06/boris-and-donald-two-leaders-afraid-to-do-the-hard-work-of-running-a-country

Looks like Last Call was at 12.05.

ridski said:

Reminds me of this comic from the other day:

nohero said:

ridski said:

Reminds me of this comic from the other day:

TBH, I'm fine with this. If anyone wants to take any of this offline I'm not interested. 

Good grief! How can we expect our government leaders to conduct themselves civilly, if chat room neighbors can’t?

Or is it, due to my four day Labor Day break from the Rose Garden, just frustrated angst?

One day, K&B,Inc will turn on itself. It should be fun to watch.

mtierney said:

Good grief! How can we expect our government leaders to conduct themselves civilly, if chat room neighbors can’t?

Or is it, due to my four day Labor Day break from the Rose Garden, just frustrated angst?

no reaction from you regarding the VP's decision to metaphorically give the finger to his Irish hosts this week?

mtierney said:

If only we didn’t relish it so much ...

David Brooks must read MOL

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/05/opinion/internet-extremism.html

ML1... as long as it was “metaphorically,” no.

mtierney said:

You should have a higher opinion of yourself, pay no mind to the ramblings of David Brooks. 

mtierney said:

ML1... as long as it was “metaphorically,” no.

if that column took Brooks more than 15 minutes to write, I'd be surprised.  I wish I could get me a great gig like he's got.

between Weiss, Stephens and Brooks, the op-ed page is a serious embarrassment.

Oh, and of course Dowd too. The icing on the cake of crapitude.

lord_pabulum said:

drummerboy said:

drummerboy said:

lord_pabulum said:

ml1 said:

can't answer my simple question, huh?

mtierney said:

It sounds like you're saying that anonymous online posts should set the tone for government officials.  I think most adults would feel the opposite.  

I can only speak for myself, of course, but some of the cruel and disgusting comments made to and/or about me were examples of the dehumanizing aspects of social (odd word)media. Must not use the F word, but there is much more hurtful language which is permitted — even applauded.

Politicians try publicly to watch their speech (lies excluded) except for Beto — he says the F word gets him on the level of the people!

mtierney said:

I can only speak for myself, of course, but some of the cruel and disgusting comments made to and/or about me were examples of the dehumanizing aspects of social (odd word)media. Must not use the F word, but there is much more hurtful language which is permitted — even applauded.

Politicians try publicly to watch their speech (lies excluded) except for Beto — he says the F word gets him on the level of the people!

Beto?

vampire

One can smile and use flowery language to say the most horrid and objectionable things, especially about one's neighbours, or as a promise, or in legal evidence. So-called 'gutter ' language isn't the hallmark of gentility, ethics are.

The focus on bad words is just a rather sociopathic attempt to avoid real atrocities.

Has mt even once expressed any concern for the kids that we're tearing apart from their families?

Nope, but say **** and all of a sudden the world's gonna end.

Just despicable, revolting behavior.

drummerboy said:

The focus on bad words is just a rather sociopathic attempt to avoid real atrocities.

Has mt even once expressed any concern for the kids that we're tearing apart from their families?

Nope, but say **** and all of a sudden the world's gonna end.

Just despicable, revolting behavior.

I posted this last week:  ‘Using the Lord’s name in vain’: Evangelicals chafe at Trump’s blasphemy

Trump regularly violates numerous tenets of Christianity, and none of his religious supporters has objected. But say "goddamn" and that's a dealbreaker.  The notion that coarse language is worse than cruelty, meanness and dishonesty is pretty astounding.  But if that's what causes Trump to start losing part of his base, I'll take it.

Am I the only one who thinks of Dolores Umbridge every time a certain poster makes one of these trademark remarks?

Very interesting summaries and commentary on Mr Pence's tour of EU, UK, Iceland, etc in the international media. I won't provide links; it's getting on for dinner time on a Friday night, and anyway you all know how to find them. 

But the 'need' to impose the visuals of massive military strength wherever high level US spokespeople travel, regardless of the safety of the place they're in, or the size of the population, has a lot to do with the charges of 'tone deafness' and bullying that this administration faces. 

Maybe Mr Pence really does prefer the 'quiet certainty' of domestic politics and Congress? cheese 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.