The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

Not that Sec 230 applies here, as 8chan is hosted in the Philippines.

Mtierney, you don’t deserve what Red_Barchetta posted.

DaveSchmidt said:

Mtierney, you don’t deserve what Red_Barchetta posted.

The two people who were murdered were members of the community.  Tensions are bound to run high.  mrtierney might have considered that before making her post.

Klinker said:

The two people who were murdered were members of the community.  Tensions are bound to run high.  mrtierney might have considered that before making her post.

the tendency for some people to blame the victim or the neighbors is understandable because people want to feel like the world is controllable.

But it's still pretty detestable to articulate it in public. 

I’m aware of that, Klinker. I’m also aware that a different comment generated that reply. 

Either way, my comment to mtierney stands.

Oh, hell, the quote-collapse function obscured the part you were talking about. So both comments generated that reply.

Still stands.

mtierney said:

ridski said:

This situation is breaking brains on conservative twitter. On the one hand, he walked into Walmart in Missouri, which is an open-carry state, had his rifle over his back, was walking around with a shopping cart and was deliberately filming people's reactions with his cellphone. A 2A activist, like many before him, who feel they have to walk around armed for bear just because the law allows them to.

On the other hand, a firefighter with a concealed carry pistol held him at gunpoint until the police came to arrest, and conservatives are hailing the firefighter a hero, a good man with a gun stopping a bad man with a gun. So we get reports like this one, describing rifle-guy as an "active shooter" when he didn't even point his rifle at anyone, let alone fire off a single round: https://starpolitical.com/armed-firefighter-holds-man-at-gunpoint-carrying-100-rounds-of-ammo-at-missouri-walmart/

This is going to deteriorate. One man exercising his 2A rights being called in by authorities and held at gunpoint by another man exercising his 2A rights. Will rifle guy sue Walmart for calling the cops on him when he was doing nothing wrong? Technically it's a civil liberties violation, so he's well in his rights to do it. Then we get a situation where we can't call the cops when someone walks into our store covered with rifles like a pin cushion because we might end up getting sued if he's just there for milk.

Do you think that the neighbors, who did not call police about the man sitting in his car for hours near Walton Road on more than one occasion, are now feeling they could have prevented the homicides? 

Do they think that his behavior might have been derailed if a police officer had just politely asked the man if he was in need of assistance? If everyone is afraid of being a nosy neighbor — not cool — or afraid of turning to our police — also not cool — where are we as a community?

The murderer found the knives in the homeowner’s kitchen drawer! He arrived at the house unarmed.

How dare you!!!!! What a maggot. 

I have not suggested public stoning.

I do see this horrific crime as the moment when all of us  learn that we have to be on alert, observant, and ready to step up. There are a handful of posters who are so full of hate in what they post, so eager to write nasty, obscene comments and allegations, that they are blinded. 

If you see something, say something.

mtierney said:

I have not suggested public stoning.

Your words have the same effect.

Only to those posters who “hear” what they want, but fail to  see the issue at hand. That issue is the need for people who see something to say something.

“The past is prologue.”

Meanwhile, on the campaign trail, Biden continues his gaffs, a career-long affliction...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0...

mtierney said:

Only to those posters who “hear” what they want, but fail to  see the issue at hand. That issue is the need for people who see something to say something.

“The past is prologue.”

do you honestly think the MPD would have had that home under 24/7 surveillance if someone called them earlier? The guy entered the home at 6am with a key for jeebus sake. 

Your general tendency to blame victims instead of perpetrators is really appalling. 

mtierney said:

Meanwhile, on the campaign trail, Biden continues his gaffs, a career-long affliction...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0...

I'd prefer a gaffe prone president vs. a habitual liar. 

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

“The past is prologue.”

do you honestly think the MPD would have had that home under 24/7 surveillance if someone called them earlier? The guy entered the home at 6am with a key for jeebus sake. 

Your general tendency to blame victims instead of perpetrators is really appalling. 

people who get the hots for the idea of "see something, say something" are generally just pining for a police state to keep them safe and comfy.

mtierney said:

There are a handful of posters who are so full of hate

This from someone who voted to put a white supremacist in the White House.  I would say it was ironic but I don't think mrtierney has the capacity for irony. 

Lady, you can't support Nazis and complain about hate.

drummerboy said:

people who get the hots for the idea of "see something, say something" are generally just pining for a police state to keep them safe and comfy.

I guess it's more comforting to think that only dumb, lazy, careless people become crime victims, and if we're just smarter and more cautious bad things won't happen to us.

Unfortunately sometimes bad things happen to good people, and those things could not have been prevented by the victims. 

Worth a read...suggested guidelines from a magazine. 

The disgruntled bunch, who pipe up here regularly, never address the topic, only denigrate me. Get out of the basement occasionally— for your own good.

BG9 said:

I'd prefer a gaffe prone president vs. a habitual liar. 

A gaffe for Trump would be if he accidentally tells the truth. I am sure it happens from time to time.

mtierney said:

Worth a read...suggested guidelines from a magazine. 

The disgruntled bunch, who pipe up here regularly, never address the topic, only denigrate me. Get out of the basement occasionally— for your own good.

this is rich coming from someone who famously ignores everyone else's substantive posts.

As a rational moderate, I love debating (i.e. owning) loser libs on here (ha ha), and doing the same with MAGA idiots whenever I get a chance (including with one of my best friends IRL). But I will never engage with mtierney again. Not because of her politics, but because of her brick-wall style of throwing out lots of her own stuff, but never directly responding to anything said from there. Just talks talks talks and never listens. What , you said this about what I just said? Well I’ll ignore that, but how about this other thing, which I’ll also ignore responses to. 

Look I don’t think anyone is persuading anyone else to change their political views, so that’s certainly not my criteria for having a worthwhile debate. But there’s gotta be some true back and forth and exchanging of ideas, even if it gets a bit testy sometimes. Life’s just too short to ‘debate’ with mtierney. 

“exchange of ideas”.  on Mao-OL.  Give me a ******* break.

Robert_Casotto said:

Studies show one-line crankygrams have the best ideas. 

Has it been determined whether Cassotto is a bot or just a troll?  I know there was some debate.

drummerboy said:

this is rich coming from someone who famously ignores everyone else's substantive posts.

Killing the messenger is not “substantive” posting. It is a sport here, however.

Klinker said:

Has it been determined whether Cassotto is a bot or just a troll?  I know there was some debate.

Trollbot 

mtierney said:

Killing the messenger is not “substantive” posting. It is a sport here, however.

I have posted hundreds of substantive replies to you that have gone unanswered. 

Robert_Casotto said:

I think I speak for everyone here when I say that I agree you need a break. Preferably a long break. You deserve it!

I think I speak for “everyone” when I say you speak for no one.

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

I have posted hundreds of substantive replies to you that have gone unanswered. 

If you expect the next one to be answered isn’t that the definition of insanity?

Smedley said:

If you expect the next one to be answered isn’t that the definition of insanity?

I don't expect to be answered. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.