The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

Your average Joe and Jane who've harbored these beliefs can now scream at POC in the supermarket or in other public settings. One beauteous aspect of tech is that folks can whip out phones and record the Yahoos during their rants and humiliate and possibly get them fired from jobs in some cases.

What could be more absurd than Trump supporters demanding that immigrants "respect our laws"?  Has there ever been a President with less respect for our laws than the Dumpster?

Killing the messenger is so old hat. To say I posted  the link for discussion but not really is dopey.

Many of you are highly skilled in technology so I presume you know how to fast forward a video to reach the  interview rather than —God forbid — get exposed to another viewpoint.

mtierney said:

Killing the messenger is so old hat. To say I posted  the link for discussion but not really is dopey.

Many of you are highly skilled in technology so I presume you know how to fast forward a video to reach the  interview rather than —God forbid — get exposed to another viewpoint.

FOX isn't a viewpoint, its propaganda like Lord Haw Haw or Tokyo Rose but without the humor.

And, before you get your pantaloons in a bunch, I don't watch MSNBC either.  Truth be told, I don't watch TV news at all.  We cut that evil cable years ago.

mtierney said:

Does the social psychologist have a name?

mtierney said:

I asked you to summarize the interview.  Does that sound like someone who doesn't want to be exposed to another viewpoint? 

I am hoping to find a print version.Martha MacCallum IMHO is a good, tough  anchor who asks good questions. 

I think the doctor’s name was McAndrews not sure.

The slogan “if you see something, say something” is worth something.

Why Mass Murderers May Not Be Very Different From You Or Me: Most of them are not mentally ill. They are just filled with hate -- and well -armed

One of the largest studies of mass killers, conducted by Dr. Michael Stone and involving 350 people, found that only 20 percent had a psychotic illness; the other 80 percent had no diagnosable mental illness — just the everyday stress, anger, jealousy and unhappiness the rest of us have.  
Likewise, an F.B.I. study of active shooters between 2000 and 2013 found that only 25 percent had ever received a psychiatric diagnosis and just 5 percent had a psychotic illness.

mtierney said: 

Was it this guy?

Klinker said:

mtierney said: 

Was it this guy?

Actually, I think it was this guy.

http://warrenfarrell.com/

Nope. It was Frank McAndrew, the other interviewee was Bill Bennett, who poo-pooed many of the points made. It was a dialogue, not a rant, which is what caught my attention. Attention must be paid to the issue of gun violence in America and how to resolve underlying causes. Trump blame is political self-serving and shameful. Political grandstanding at a time when America has to stop the slaughter, no matter who is sitting in the Oval Office, serves no purpose.

Already a copycat..

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0...

There are 5,000 stores in the United States. 

If the red line bill is a step in the fight, let’s consider it a first step.

The specific web sites feeding the madness of sickoos? Silence them, using every social media tactic out there. Roaches scatter at the switching on of  lights.

mtierney said:

Trump blame is political self-serving and shameful.  

Do you think it's merely coincidence that Trump's anti-immigrant rhetoric is almost identical to the rationale for many of these violent rampages?

Ah. So Frank McAndrew was scheduled to go on the show on the 5th, but instead they bumped him and booked Warren Farrell. McAndrew's reaction to that was...

https://twitter.com/FTMcAndrew/status/1158521475974012928

Which is pretty funny. I'll never be able to watch this interview, but he did write a piece in Psychology Today which I'll hopefully get around to reading today.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/out-the-ooze/201908/how-does-ideology-change-the-dynamic-mass-shootings

Just saw a NY Times story with the main page headliner being "Trump Has Had Help on the Economy, Despite His Gripes."

The headline within the story is "Help for the Economy? Despite Grumbling, Trump Has Had Plenty."

They're still dancing with the verbiage used to describe Trump's actions. The reluctance to use "lied" or "lying" or in the above to use "whining."

Trump is an insecure whiner. Having a colleague (God forbid) at work like Trump would definitely be labeled as a whiner.

But he's the president, so our media defers as they do in not using liar.

SAD.

"Trump Has Had Help on the Economy, Despite His Whining."

mtierney said:

The specific web sites feeding the madness of sickoos? Silence them, using every social media tactic out there. Roaches scatter at the switching on of  lights.

If that happens, it’s likely to drive a hard core of alt-right users elsewhere. That’s clearly not as easy as it once was, but an 8chan alternative could surface.

Another possibility: “These kinds of communications could move into encrypted environments,” like Telegram or WhatsApp, said Andrew Sullivan, the president and chief executive of the Internet Society, a global nonprofit. “What happens then is you can’t whack the mole, because the mole doesn’t come out of the hole.”

Such marginalization “could reduce the reach of these communities,” said Rasmus Nielsen, a professor of political communication at Oxford University. But “it could increase cohesion inside the hard core,” he added. It’s hard to know what might be the dominant force.

The Week in Tech: How Does 8chan Whack-a-Mole End? (NYT)

Of course 8chan itself was started as an alternative to 4chan, after 4chan got too "authoritarian" which is a laugh by itself.

So yeah, you shut one site down, and a bunch of others will take its place. One day you think you've defeated white supremacy and the next you know you've got 400 of them with Worldwebs accounts on their own community claiming freedom of speech rights and threatening to sue everytime one of them gets banned.

Legally speaking, is a social media tech platform co-responsible for what its users post on it?

mtierney said:

Already a copycat..

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0...

This situation is breaking brains on conservative twitter. On the one hand, he walked into Walmart in Missouri, which is an open-carry state, had his rifle over his back, was walking around with a shopping cart and was deliberately filming people's reactions with his cellphone. A 2A activist, like many before him, who feel they have to walk around armed for bear just because the law allows them to.

On the other hand, a firefighter with a concealed carry pistol held him at gunpoint until the police came to arrest, and conservatives are hailing the firefighter a hero, a good man with a gun stopping a bad man with a gun. So we get reports like this one, describing rifle-guy as an "active shooter" when he didn't even point his rifle at anyone, let alone fire off a single round: https://starpolitical.com/armed-firefighter-holds-man-at-gunpoint-carrying-100-rounds-of-ammo-at-missouri-walmart/

This is going to deteriorate. One man exercising his 2A rights being called in by authorities and held at gunpoint by another man exercising his 2A rights. Will rifle guy sue Walmart for calling the cops on him when he was doing nothing wrong? Technically it's a civil liberties violation, so he's well in his rights to do it. Then we get a situation where we can't call the cops when someone walks into our store covered with rifles like a pin cushion because we might end up getting sued if he's just there for milk.

basil said:

Legally speaking, is a social media tech platform co-responsible for what its users post on it?

Nope. 

Section 230 says that "No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider" (47 U.S.C. § 230). In other words, online intermediaries that host or republish speech are protected against a range of laws that might otherwise be used to hold them legally responsible for what others say and do. The protected intermediaries include not only regular Internet Service Providers (ISPs), but also a range of "interactive computer service providers," including basically any online service that publishes third-party content. Though there are important exceptions for certain criminal and intellectual property-based claims, CDA 230 creates a broad protection that has allowed innovation and free speech online to flourish.

Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, from the Electronic Frontier Foundation. 

basil said:

In a word, no. Google “Section 230.”

And what is the purpose of Section 230?

ridski said:

This situation is breaking brains on conservative twitter. On the one hand, he walked into Walmart in Missouri, which is an open-carry state, had his rifle over his back, was walking around with a shopping cart and was deliberately filming people's reactions with his cellphone. A 2A activist, like many before him, who feel they have to walk around armed for bear just because the law allows them to.

On the other hand, a firefighter with a concealed carry pistol held him at gunpoint until the police came to arrest, and conservatives are hailing the firefighter a hero, a good man with a gun stopping a bad man with a gun. So we get reports like this one, describing rifle-guy as an "active shooter" when he didn't even point his rifle at anyone, let alone fire off a single round: https://starpolitical.com/armed-firefighter-holds-man-at-gunpoint-carrying-100-rounds-of-ammo-at-missouri-walmart/

This is going to deteriorate. One man exercising his 2A rights being called in by authorities and held at gunpoint by another man exercising his 2A rights. Will rifle guy sue Walmart for calling the cops on him when he was doing nothing wrong? Technically it's a civil liberties violation, so he's well in his rights to do it. Then we get a situation where we can't call the cops when someone walks into our store covered with rifles like a pin cushion because we might end up getting sued if he's just there for milk.

Do you think that the neighbors, who did not call police about the man sitting in his car for hours near Walton Road on more than one occasion, are now feeling they could have prevented the homicides? 

Do they think that his behavior might have been derailed if a police officer had just politely asked the man if he was in need of assistance? If everyone is afraid of being a nosy neighbor — not cool — or afraid of turning to our police — also not cool — where are we as a community?

The murderer found the knives in the homeowner’s kitchen drawer! He arrived at the house unarmed.

It was agreed, on the thread about the tragic murders, not to engage in such speculation.

mtierney said:

Do you think that the neighbors, who did not call police about the man sitting in his car for hours near Walton Road on more than one occasion, are now feeling they could have prevented the homicides? 

Do they think that his behavior might have been derailed if a police officer had just politely asked the man if he was in need of assistance? If everyone is afraid of being a nosy neighbor — not cool — or afraid of turning to our police — also not cool — where are we as a community?

The murderer found the knives in the homeowner’s kitchen drawer! He arrived at the house unarmed.

Thanks so much, Ridski, for the link:  https://www.psychologytoday.co...

It did cover much of the conversation I heard. What is not addressed in this article is the responsibility of the school system which often recognizes children as troubled at young ages. The failure of schools to suspend kids, inform parents, or authorities of unacceptable behavior toward other students, etc. Parents often are not receptive toward hearing any negative criticism. An angry parent can be a force of nature.

nohero said:

Why? Sure, it is painful to consider. But how are we going to keep ourselves and others safe?

If you see something, say something. It is our reality.

mtierney said:

ridski said:

mtierney said:

Thanks so much, Ridski, for the link:  https://www.psychologytoday.co...

It did cover much of the conversation I heard. What is not addressed in this article is the responsibility of the school system which often recognizes children as troubled at young ages. The failure of schools to suspend kids, inform parents, or authorities of unacceptable behavior toward other students, etc. Parents often are not receptive toward hearing any negative criticism. An angry parent can be a force of nature.

You are a horrible, detestable, oxygen thief of a human being.   

mtierney said:

Why? Sure, it is painful to consider. But how are we going to keep ourselves and others safe?

blaming the neighbors for this tragedy is a new low for you. There is only one person responsible for that crime.  Even if you were to inform on every person loitering in your neighborhood, what is preventing them from coming back? People can't be arrested just for looking suspicious. 

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

blaming the neighbors for this tragedy is a new low for you. T

A new low for mrtierney might call some laws of physics into question.  There's not much to work with there. Perhaps a journey into the "Quantum Realm"?

(As you can probably tell, I learned everything I know about physics from Ant Man and the Wasp)

basil said:

And what is the purpose of Section 230?

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+...

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Rentals

Advertisement

Advertise here!