The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

proeasdf said:
 Your patronizing tone does not become you.

Barrier posts cannot be placed across 5th Avenue or 42nd Street (or any other major street).  So much for barrier posts.  I hope it never happens. 

you calling out someone else for a patronizing tone?

mtierney said:
POTUS candidate strikes again..
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/07/nyregion/chiara-de-blasio-security-detail.html
How did he get to be mayor? 

Because his Republican opponents are åsses

I don't like DiBlasio. The Democratic party is so embedded in NYC that the mediocre and the bs artists can easily succeed. We can thank the Republican party for that, for serving up losers as the alternative.

Getting a decent capable Republican like Bloomberg is rare. Republicans would have a competitive chance in NYC where there more like him.

mtierney said:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/07/nyregion/chiara-de-blasio-security-detail.html

the same way a deadbeat rapist con man got to be president.

mtierney said:

From the article you posted:

“ The items moved by the detail included a rolled-up futon mattress but no heavy furniture, according to Ms. Goldstein

Phil Walzak, the top police spokesman, suggested that lending a hand in this case may have been the simpler solution for the officers involved. Had Ms. de Blasio hired her own mover, that person would have had to be vetted with a full background check before being allowed into Gracie Mansion, Mr. Walzak said. And members of the security detail would have accompanied her during the move.”

So it appears that along with everything else we know about you, you believe in following bureaucratic policy to the letter.

BG9 said:

Because his Republican opponents are åsses

I don't like DiBlasio. The Democratic party is so embedded in NYC that the mediocre and the bs artists can easily succeed. We can thank the Republican party for that, for serving up losers as the alternative.

Getting a decent capable Republican like Bloomberg is rare. Republicans would have a competitive chance in NYC where there more like him.

Hmmm, using your reasoning, we can blame Democrats for Trump’s win! Which no one would argue.

Don’t forget Rudy. Both Republicans were re-elected to multiple terms.

https://video.foxnews.com/v/60...

This video has an interview with a social psychologist in which “explanations” for shooters are examined. There are most often troubling  indications seen as early as 13. The school records reveal suspensions. There are clues which go nowhere.  They are invariably portrayed as loners. Whatever your political bent, and without playing the blame game,  I recommend watching.

mtierney said:

This video has an interview with a social psychologist in which “explanations” for shooters are examined. There are most often troubling  indications seen as early as 13. The school records reveal suspensions. There are clues which go nowhere.  They are invariably portrayed as loners. Whatever your political bent, and without playing the blame game,  I recommend watching.

one question before I commit time to watching this video -- is there any mention of easy access to guns in the video?

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

one question before I commit time to watching this video -- is there any mention of easy access to guns in the video?

I wouldn't be surprised if guns weren't mentioned at all.

I think if you take your distain and put it elsewhere for a bit, there just may be some answers found, or dialogues generated  after watching the interview. There is an opposing view offered as well. We all lament these all too often events which happen in our society, and jump to one or two conclusions: guns are to blame, or the GOP.

Why do children grow up here in the United States filled with hate?

mtierney said:

I think if you take your distain and put it elsewhere for a bit, there just may be some answers found, or dialogues generated  after watching the interview. There is an opposing view offered as well. We all lament these all too often events which happen in our society, and jump to one or two conclusions: guns are to blame, or the GOP.

In the case of these recent shooters, the rise of White Nationalism, an ideology centered on hate and a cult of victimhood, obviously plays a major role.

Not pointing fingers, just stating the obvious.

mtierney said:

largely because of people like you. I mean, you voted for a guy whose purpose as Prez is to divide the country.

to reiterate

" I mean, you voted for a guy whose purpose as Prez is to divide the country."

Didn't you?

Or do you actually think that he's preaching peace and love and trying to bring us all together?

mtierney said:

True to form db

If I live to be 80+ years old, I hope there will be people in my life familiar enough with my habits to prevent me from making hateful ignorant public statements that shame myself and my family. 

Comments totally irrelevant to the topic up for discussion is an ignorant ploy, by those with little of substance to offer. 

mtierney said:

the answer to your question is of course complicated.  What are some of your thoughts?  Instead of just posing questions, why not put forth some ideas for others to react to?

if we're going to look at the specific case of the kind of violent outbursts we've seen over the past week or so, typically committed by young, white Christian men, there are a few hypotheses:

• deep seated anger and fear that their straight white male Christian way of life is being "destroyed."  Their perception is that their pre-ordained right to be the most powerful group in our country is under attack from a combination of immigrants, African-Americans demanding equality, women, LGBTQ people, and others, who are all being empowered and encouraged by a liberal elite who hate them, their values and their way of life.  If you listen to right wing talk radio, or watch certain cable news opinion programs, this is a message that is being hammered day after day. 
  • gun culture -- the notion that all problems from failed relationships to international disagreements can be eliminated at the point of a gun is inherent in our culture.
  • despair at the disappearance of opportunity in many areas of the country, exacerbated by demagogic politicians who point to scapegoats like immigrants and people of color as the cause of these lost opportunities.  There is a sense that the economy and the society at large is zero sum, and any gains by other groups are going to come at the expense of straight white Christian males.
  • And of course the easy access to guns makes this anger and hate all the more deadly.  Only in our country can these angry disaffected people amass arsenals  of weapons and ammunition that allow them to go on violent rampages.

ml1 said:

the answer to your question is of course complicated.  What are some of your thoughts?  Instead of just posing questions, why not put forth some ideas for others to react to?

if we're going to look at the specific case of the kind of violent outbursts we've seen over the past week or so, typically committed by young, white Christian men, there are a few hypotheses:

• deep seated anger and fear that their straight white male Christian way of life is being "destroyed."  Their perception is that their pre-ordained right to be the most powerful group in our country is under attack from a combination of immigrants, African-Americans demanding equality, women, LGBTQ people, and others, who are all being empowered and encouraged by a liberal elite who hate them, their values and their way of life.  If you listen to right wing talk radio, or watch certain cable news opinion programs, this is a message that is being hammered day after day. 
  • gun culture -- the notion that all problems from failed relationships to international disagreements can be eliminated at the point of a gun is inherent in our culture.
  • despair at the disappearance of opportunity in many areas of the country, exacerbated by demagogic politicians who point to scapegoats like immigrants and people of color as the cause of these lost opportunities.  There is a sense that the economy and the society at large is zero sum, and any gains by other groups are going to come at the expense of straight white Christian males.
  • And of course the easy access to guns makes this anger and hate all the more deadly.  Only in our country can these angry disaffected people amass arsenals  of weapons and ammunition that allow them to go on violent rampages.

None of these hypotheses reflect the observations of the interview I shared. The troubled shooters begin their journey at very early ages when intervention might have been successful in stopping their trajectory toward violence.

Yes, we plan to legalize marijuana — why?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0...

mtierney said:

None of these hypotheses reflect the observations of the interview I shared. The troubled shooters begin their journey at very early ages when intervention might have been successful in stopping their trajectory toward violence. 

I’m unable to watch the video without a cable subscription.

mtierney said:

you didn't ask for anyone to respond to the video.  you asked a general question.  I answered.  And as is your habit, you didn't even acknowledge any of the points I raised.

mtierney said:

so I clicked on your link to discover that it's a 40 minute video.  If you want people to comment on it, instead of asking us to watch for 40 minutes, can you summarize the points that were raised?  

mtierney said:

I don't give a damn how they start. Its a right wing diversion from the real issues. 

What I do give a damn about is the easy availability of high capacity assault weapons. Weapons of mass destruction on innocent civilians. If you don't think a weapon that in thirty seconds can be used to kill nine  people and wound many then you're not thinking.

Its the Republican party that prevents us from disarming the nutters. Instead we may be served up with token laws that are mostly useless. Such as preventing someone on a list or adjudged ill by a court order from having a weapon. How many of these shooters were on a list or legally adjudged ill?

mtierney said:

These are not the cause.  There are people with these backgrounds who never become "shooters" like that.

At best, people fitting this description are "fertile ground" for the factors described by Mr. ml1:

ml1 said: 

As President Trump doubles down on a re-election approach of stoking fear of immigrants, he is once again elevating a voice of validation — and many say racism — that he discovered during his last presidential campaign.

That voice is Katie Hopkins, a far-right British commentator who has made denunciations of migrants and Muslims — and defenses of Mr. Trump — a staple of her public discourse. British headlines have routinely labeled Ms. Hopkins a “racist” and a “bigot” for her views about immigrants.

On Saturday morning, Mr. Trump invoked Ms. Hopkins shortly before a mass shooting that killed 22 in El Paso, where the suspect wrote an anti-immigrant manifesto that echoed Mr. Trump’s inflammatory language about migrants.

From NY Times: "A Divisive Voice Once Again Has Trump’s Ear"

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

This video has ....

so I clicked on your link to discover that it's a 40 minute video.  If you want people to comment on it, instead of asking us to watch for 40 minutes, can you summarize the points that were raised?  

Nan McTierney?

Definitely never ever going to watch 40 minutes of FOX News. No one should ever watch 40 minutes of FOX News.

The fact that mrtierney is spending her days immersed in that nonsense goes a long way towards explaining her posts on this platform.

Sad....

Given the amount of political video watching that goes on around here, I think our community needs to work on finding more ways to keep idle people busy.

Maybe a bowling league or, in mtierney's case, a series of Tough Mudders?

cheese

Corrupt morons have to stick together....

Trump says he's considering commutation for Blagojevich

Criminal venality transcends party lines.

ml1's post hits the nail on the head. I just came across this today, too, and thought it worthy of entry.

https://www.theatlantic.com/po...

Christian Picciolini discusses the mainstreaming of white nationalism, what it takes to de-radicalize far-right extremists, and why the problem is metastasizing.

I think this is the most honest and realistic assessment. There's more "courage" to come out now that we have racist leadership in WH and Senate.

Picciolini: Unfortunately, I think that the underpinnings of the ideology have always been there. The extremists were on the fringe, and very visible, but other people weren’t willing to voice those beliefs. Thirty years ago, when I was in the movement, we were turning off the average American white racists who didn’t want to be so open and visible about those beliefs.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Rentals

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!