The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

bettyd said:

Climate scientists are in it for the money, so let's listen to the fossil fuel industry and their lobbyists on the topic.

I love that one

Because of course the fossil fuel industry is only interested in the good of society.

mtierney said:

http://thefederalist.com/2017/...

Warning! This maybe a PDF file. 

Spoiler alert, it is a web page about Kid Rock.

sac said:

I've noticed that, recently, MOL links no longer show the full web address.  Instead just the first piece followed by "...".  @Jamie, why is this?  If the whole url was showing, we could tell if it is a pdf or html or whatever and exercise associated caution.

All my browsers show the whole url when I place my cursor on a url.

That's far worse than a pdf.

ridski said:

mtierney said:

http://thefederalist.com/2017/...

Warning! This maybe a PDF file. 

Spoiler alert, it is a web page about Kid Rock.

I was able to watch Sen McCain as he stood before his peers and delivered his best speech ever. His face was bruised, and the incision at his left eyebrow was clearly and painfully visible. Yet he delivered his remarks with amazing energy, humor, and decisiveness! Even facing a deadly disease, he put his country first and revealed his courage in adversity.

real courage would have been telling McConnell to take a flying leap.

did you get the report of Susan Collins' private comments on their tactics??

http://www.abc.net.au/news/201...

mtierney said:

I was able to watch Sen McCain as he stood before his peers and delivered his best speech ever. His face was bruised, and the incision at his left eyebrow was clearly and painfully visible. Yet he delivered his remarks with amazing energy, humor, and decisiveness! Even facing a deadly disease, he put his country first and revealed his courage in adversity.

Even facing a deadly disease he voted to deny medical coverage to others facing deadly diseases.  What a hero!

or even easier - voting Nay.

ml1 said:

real courage would have been telling McConnell to take a flying leap.

And then this happened:

McCain said he wouldn’t vote for the Senate health care bill. 6 hours later he did.

John McCain is the biggest phony in U.S. politics, which is really saying something.  

Trump bans transgender people from the military:

I took McCain to mean that he would vote to allow debate but would vote against Repeal (as a solo option) and that he would carefully consult with colleagues on "both sides of the aisle" to find a "reasonable compromise" which he expects will take a long time to hammer out.  I'm not partial to anything short of single payer but I don't think he was turning his back on healthcare. 

As usual Trump lied when he claimed in his hateful and cruel tweets that he "consulted with military experts" on his announcement to ban transgender troops.  

Trump's Announcement on Transgender Troops Surprises The Pentagon

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-ma...

The Pentagon seems to have been unaware that President Donald Trump has decided to bar transgender people from the military.
A Pentagon spokesman, Navy Capt. Jeff Davis, refused to answer questions about what Trump’s tweeted announcement means for the current policy, including whether transgender people already serving in the military will be kicked out.
“Call the White House,” he said.

It looks like the president just banned thousands of transgender troops without coordinating with the Defense Department. The White House also didn’t offer the Senate Armed Services Committee a heads-up, either.

Trump picked a new FBI director without coordinating with the Justice Department. Trump makes foreign policy decisions without running them by the State Department. When Trump launched his Muslim ban, the Department of Homeland Security wasn’t at all clear on how to implement the president’s vision.

that joke is already LONG past its freshness date.

And already previously on MOL

and what's up with Chicken McNuggets anyway?  What part of the chicken is the "nugget?"

DottyParker said:

As usual Trump lied when he claimed in his hateful and cruel tweets that he "consulted with military experts" on his announcement to ban transgender troops.  

Trump's Announcement on Transgender Troops Surprises The Pentagon

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-ma...

The Pentagon seems to have been unaware that President Donald Trump has decided to bar transgender people from the military.
A Pentagon spokesman, Navy Capt. Jeff Davis, refused to answer questions about what Trump’s tweeted announcement means for the current policy, including whether transgender people already serving in the military will be kicked out.
“Call the White House,” he said.

It looks like the president just banned thousands of transgender troops without coordinating with the Defense Department. The White House also didn’t offer the Senate Armed Services Committee a heads-up, either.

Trump picked a new FBI director without coordinating with the Justice Department. Trump makes foreign policy decisions without running them by the State Department. When Trump launched his Muslim ban, the Department of Homeland Security wasn’t at all clear on how to implement the president’s vision.

Well, he knows more than the generals and is smarter than everyone else on everything, so why consult with anyone.

Here's an article that is going around Facebook: http://www.politico.com/story/...

sac said:

Here's an article that is going around Facebook: http://www.politico.com/story/...

the right has been picking these fights for the past few years.  And duping people into believing it's the Democrats who are pursuing "identity politics" and spending all their efforts on defending the bathroom rights of transgender people.  When in reality the Democrats and liberals didn't want this fight, didn't start it, and would have been content to leave the previous policies in place.  It's cynical politics, but it works.  Even smart, rational, well-informed and fairly liberal people on MOL spent a lot of time bashing the Democrats for spending so much time on LGBT issues.  Issues that weren't being fought over until the radical right picked a fight over them.

Well, now I know what to tell this F-35.

An F-35 fighter jet can’t believe how much transgender troops cost the military, after it looked up the figures following tweets from President Donald Trump saying they should no longer serve due to the price tag.

“They spend how much on transgender medical services? $8.4 million? My God that’s like four screws and a couple of bolts on my ejection seat,” the F-35 told reporters, in between sips of cognac during its lunch break. “I’m so glad Trump is ending this disgraceful waste of military spending.”

Read more: http://www.duffelblog.com/2017/07/f-35-transgender-troops/#ixzz4nyLZdwEI

Outside the beltway, DJT is the bees knees...

mtierney said:

Historically bad approval ratings, but his ignorance, childishness, anger and selfishness are appealing to some people.

dave23 said:

mtierney said:

Historically bad approval ratings, but his ignorance, childishness, anger and selfishness is appealing to some people.

The 36 percenters must live someplace 

mtierney said:

Depends on where you go. The Secret Service won't let him travel west of the Mississippi.

Tillerson is sick of it already.

Trump's undercutting of Tillerson appears to be taking its toll

https://www.usatoday.com/story...

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson took several days off from a job in which President Trump repeatedly has undercut him.

Though he was back at work Wednesday, earlier word of  his absence spawned media reports that the former ExxonMobil CEO is unhappy and might soon resign. He certainly has plenty of reasons to feel frustrated serving as chief diplomat for a president who regularly sets foreign policy by tweet or speech that is at odds with Tillerson's advice.

Asked about the resignation rumors, Tillerson told reporters at the State Department that “I’m not going anywhere.” He said he would remain as the nation’s top diplomat “as long as the president lets me.” Asked about his relationship with Trump, Tillerson replied, “It’s good.”

The State Department said Tuesday that Tillerson was taking a few days off after a heavy travel schedule. Asked then if Tillerson is happy with the freedom he has to make decisions, spokeswoman Heather Nauert said decision-making  involved many advisers “who may not agree on different situations.”

At least our population of morons is not equally distributed across the country - it's easier to avoid them this way.

ml1 said:

dave23 said:

mtierney said:

Historically bad approval ratings, but his ignorance, childishness, anger and selfishness is appealing to some people.

The 36 percenters must live someplace 

You know how some things just stick in your head.  I recall MTierney saying, with apparent approval, that the American people decided to elect a businessman.

I don't know about you but with each days disclosures, tweets, intramural squabbles, near and actual firings, near and actual resignations, I sit back and marvel at the businesslike atmosphere that has taken hold in the White House.  Like a breath of fresh air.  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.