The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

I figured we'd start discussing the new delay on the vote for the health care legislation... 

joanne said:

I figured we'd start discussing the new delay on the vote for the health care legislation... 

Sure. It means it will pass.

when? I thought it was shelved indefinitely?

the House bill was also "dead" at one point too. 

joanne said:

when? I thought it was shelved indefinitely?

Until after the holiday recess. Not indefinitely. 

I have to believe that the GOP will pass some version of this bill in both chambers, and Trump will sign it.  If they didn't intend to move forward on this, it would have been dropped months ago.  It's clear most of the public hates the idea of Trumpcare, but the Republicans have moved it forward anyway.  Their commitment to tax cuts is driving this.  I don't know the exact Senate rules involved, but apparently the really important part of the bill is the CBO score on deficit reduction.  All the funds being cut out of Medicaid can then be handed out in subsequent bills as tax cuts.  So wealthy people get a tax cut in Trumpcare, and then more tax cuts in the months to come.  The GOP is willing to face the wrath of some of their voters in order to hand out big tax cuts to rich people.

the calculation is this -- Republicans believe they can do just about anything, and their base will still NEVER vote for Democrats.  And to date, that equation has added up for them.  Why would they believe throwing people off health insurance will cost them an election?  Personally, I think they may be right.  It's clear now more than ever that most people don't vote their own interests.  They vote their "values" and their image of themselves.  It will take a lot for people to switch to voting against those tendencies.

headline in the Times today laments that Trump is taking advantage of this....

http://nyti.ms/2sOZtGF

Question is: Why shouldn't he?

mtierney said:

He should. And you should ignore his countless lies and his threatening Amazon over the Washington Post's coverage of him.

I thought we were going to talk about vacations.

ml1 said:

Republicans believe they can do just about anything, and their base will still NEVER vote for Democrats.  And to date, that equation has added up for them.  Why would they believe throwing people off health insurance will cost them an election?  Personally, I think they may be right.  It's clear now more than ever that most people don't vote their own interests.  They vote their "values" and their image of themselves.  It will take a lot for people to switch to voting against those tendencies.

David Frum has been saying on TV that Rand Paul's support comes strongly from areas of Kentucky where a very high percentage of of the population is on Medicaid.

Dean Heller is running for re-election next year in a State that voted for Hillary Clinton and the Governor, also a Republican is against the Bill.

Lisa Murkowski has said she will not vote for the Bill if defunding of Planned Parenthood is part of it. Susan Collins has made similar statements.

Trump has said if it doesn't get done they won't like it but it's no big deal.

So, who knows?

mtierney said:

Since he lies constantly, and never admits or retracts, of course he would point out that single instance of a news outlet mistake that was quickly retracted.

{And yet Trump'll shamelessly display a framed fake Time front cover of himself, to impress visitors.... h'm. Now that says a lot for surrounding yourself with symbols of your ethics and values. }

http://www.abc.net.au/news/201...

Joanne,you would be interested in the kangaroo article I posted on my "animal tales" thread.

Trump the man of the people, of the working class, has invited some to his hotel to a reelection fundraiser:

Some 40 months ahead of his next election, the president holds court at a $35,000-per-plate donor event Wednesday night at his hotel in Washington. About 300 people are expected to attend an event that will pull in about $10 million, said Lindsay Jancek, a spokeswoman for the Republican National Committee.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new...

cheese I read it, and also passed it along to some friends travelling out that way. 

We have many friends who are members of WIRES (wild animal rescue, not the women's information phone line - both have the same acronym)

Remember when Republicans moaned on and on about members of Obama's team demeaning the Oval Office by not wearing ties? So quaint. 

admittedly, tough talk, but hardly compares to the violent and contemptible words hurled all day long at POTUS and the first family -- he is the POTUS!

Nobody shines in hateful talk -- nobody!

tough talk?  it's crazy talk.

mtierney said:

admittedly, tough talk, but hardly compares to the violent and contemptible words hurled all day long at POTUS and the first family -- he is the POTUS!

mtierney said:

Every president has had "violent and contemptible words hurled at him all day long."  Every. Single. One.

Your man Trump was particularly good at it when Obama was president.

I made a similar comment on the thread started to address that specific Trump excretion.

dave23 said:

Remember when Republicans moaned on and on about members of Obama's team demeaning the Oval Office by not wearing ties? So quaint. 

No excuse for making excuses for that type of behavior.

mtierney said:

mtierney said:

If a morning cable news presenter showed up at my door "bleeding badly" I'd call an ambulance and help that person. I'd imagine you would do the same.

Unless, of course, he's lying. 

Could that be possible? 

Nah!

Why would the President of the United States lie about a morning cable news presenter coming to his house 3 days in a row and refusing to let them in even though she was "bleeding badly"? 

A comedian might make up something like that, but I would expect a punchline. Also I wouldn't expect a comedian to be elected the President of the United States. 

Someone with major mental deficiencies would do that. Considering a few minutes before that tweet, the President was cheering about a how they had just made a great trade deal with Mexico, and everything else he says and does, I'm going to go with lying and major mental deficiency. 

This POTUS has a peculiar fascination with women and their blood.

ridski said:

mtierney said:

A comedian might make up something like that, but I would expect a punchline. Also I wouldn't expect a comedian to be elected the President of the United States. 

There is a possibility that Al Franken can be elected President. I think he would appeal to many on the issues but he does have a lot of baggage to overcome (Jewish, being at SNL during their notorious drug filled early years)

my god. Would you excuse such talk coming from your child?

Despicable.

mtierney said:

mtierney said:

And, remember, those 2 tweets are a reaction to Mika joking about Trump's fake Time Magazine cover hanging on the wall of a bunch of his golf courses. When it was noted that he's hiding his hands in the picture, Mika said it's because they're "teensy". 

That's the President of the United States of America. A grown 71 year old man in charge of the most powerful nation in the world. Mocked on a show he claims he doesn't even watch.

drummerboy said:

my god. Would you excuse such talk coming from your child?

Despicable.

mtierney said:

Only if her child were a Republican elected official, but I should really let her answer for herself. (Kidding).

Gilgul said:

ridski said:

mtierney said:

There is a possibility that Al Franken can be elected President. I think he would appeal to many on the issues but he does have a lot of baggage to overcome (Jewish, being at SNL during their notorious drug filled early years)

this might be worse than having been on SNL.  Solid Gold.

mtierney said:

Donald Trump was elected President by engaging in hateful talk about Obama, Mexican immigrants, Muslims and Hillary Clinton. Oh yeah, and Jeb Bush, Ben Carson, Ted Cruz, Mrs. Cruz, Ted Cruz's father, Carly Fiorina, etc., etc. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!