Voting against your interests or Now I Need Obamacare

LOST said:

With or without ACA it is complicated. It was complicated when Hillary Clinton tried to deal with it at the beginning of her husband's administration. Want to uncomplicate it?

Medicare for all.

They will never agree to this. This is the way we need to start viewing this administration: if money can't be made from it, it will be knocked down. Would love to know how many in his administration have stock in healthcare plans? Pharmaceuticals?

terp
said:

Yeah. And the last administration was so pure!

Your point escapes me.

If it's "legal", it's not insider trading.

And, as an aside, did you take note of the closing sentence in the link you reference? Was there any follow-up on the denial of wrongdoing by Kerry's office?

TomR

Tom_R said:

terp
said:

Yeah. And the last administration was so pure!

Your point escapes me.

If it's "legal", it's not insider trading.

And, as an aside, did you take note of the closing sentence in the link you reference? Was there any follow-up on the denial of wrongdoing by Kerry's office?

TomR

And though John Kerry eventually became Secretary of State, he was not part of the Obama administration when that completely legal conduct occurred. He was a Senator, and if his colleagues had a problem with the actions of Kerry's independent trustee, the matter would have been handled there.

I'm not a believer in polls but nevertheless, allegedly, Americans are split over doing away with ACA in favor of what the GOP has presented (like we have a choice of what to choose). Surely these are the same Americans who believed in death panels and the boogeyman because McConnell told them he'd seen them. Hopefully this time around, they'll understand Trump more clearly: vouchers, credits, credits, vouchers = a nightmare for all.

The GOP finally released a plan. Is anyone surprised that it:

1. has no estimates of cost or coverage
  2. reduces subsidies to poor people
  3. cuts taxes for wealthy people
  4. provides for savings plans and tax credits that benefit wealthy people

Answer to rhetorical question: no.

But the irony is that GOPers are attacking it from both angles - too generous (right wingers) and too limited (moderates).

the plan is more evidence that the GOP base is not economically-strapped families. That is a myth from the Beltway punditry. Lower-income people favored Hillary Clinton in the election. Middle class white people are the Trump base, and this middle finger to struggling families is more proof of that.

The top irony is that the all or nothing position of the House Freedom Caucus may be the key factor in keeping ACA in place.

This would be a great Fake News headline: "Millions of Americans excited to open their first Health Savings Account".

"Well, we're getting rid of the individual mandate. We're getting rid of those things that people said that they don't want," Chaffetz replied. "Americans have choices, and they've got to make a choice. So rather than getting that new iPhone that they just love and want to go spend hundreds of dollars on that, maybe they should invest in their own health care.

UNREAL. If this stuff actually passes the health care industry will make billions or crash.

Also - can we repeal and replace quick so that the government can move on to more important reforms like tax cuts to the rich?

jamie said:

"Well, we're getting rid of the individual mandate. We're getting rid of those things that people said that they don't want," Chaffetz replied. "Americans have choices, and they've got to make a choice. So rather than getting that new iPhone that they just love and want to go spend hundreds of dollars on that, maybe they should invest in their own health care.

UNREAL. If this stuff actually passes the health care industry will make billions or crash.

Also - can we repeal and replace quick so that the government can move on to more important reforms like tax cuts to the rich?

Well, I think we need to provide education to poor people so that they learn to make good choices.

what a jackass. If only health insurance premiums were as little as the price of a phone. Of course, in the rest of the developed world, people don't have to decide what to give up so they can afford health insurance.

Gilgul said:

The top irony is that the all or nothing position of the House Freedom Caucus may be the key factor in keeping ACA in place.

They are not interested in governing, just pontificating and winning.

ml1 said:

what a jackass. If only health insurance premiums were as little as the price of a phone. Of course, in the rest of the developed world, people don't have to decide what to give up so they can afford health insurance.

While cellphone monthly bills can be pretty high, unless he thinks poor people are buying a brand new iphone 7 plus maybe three or four Samsung Galaxys for the kids every single month for the rest of their lives, he's way off the mark.

jamie said:

Are they getting rid of the Death Panels? If so why are they not touting that? If not, why not?

Is there anyone in DC, reporter or Congressperson, with the balls to ask those questions?

With Ryan-care even the death panels are back!

Not sure if this one got linked yet.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/55-year-time-voter-chose-trump-protests-large/story?id=45991134

After voting for the first time at the age of 55, for Donald Trump, Martha Brawley is worried that the main issue that brought her to the polls, health insurance coverage, is going to become worse.
Brawley, a resident of Monroe, North Carolina, said she fears the new Republican health insurance bill will significantly raise her premiums.
"I'm 55. This is the first time in my life I voted, and I voted for Trump hoping that he would change the insurance so I could get good health care," she told ABC News. "I might as well have not voted."

I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that she actually believed that Trump's plan (actually he didn't even have a plan, just a promise) to make healthcare GREAT was enough to convince her that he was the man to vote for.

I find it remarkable that people are unable to see that he is a con man. Remarkable.

But I guess those are the suckers P.T. Barnum talked about.

spontaneous said:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/55-year-time-voter-chose-trump-protests-large/story?id=45991134

After voting for the first time at the age of 55, for Donald Trump, Martha Brawley is worried that the main issue that brought her to the polls, health insurance coverage, is going to become worse.
Brawley, a resident of Monroe, North Carolina, said she fears the new Republican health insurance bill will significantly raise her premiums.
"I'm 55. This is the first time in my life I voted, and I voted for Trump hoping that he would change the insurance so I could get good health care," she told ABC News. "I might as well have not voted."

I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that she actually believed that Trump's plan (actually he didn't even have a plan, just a promise) to make healthcare GREAT was enough to convince her that he was the man to vote for.

spontaneous said:

A healthy percentage of American voters are not smart - that percentage dramatically jumps, when we are referring specifically about Trump followers.

I find it amazing that she is 55 and this was the FIRST time she voted!

My grandmother didn't vote until her 70's; grew up in an era when blacks were constantly told that their votes were "thrown out" and never counted. Her first time voting, ironically, was for President Obama.

I too am mystified by how different Republicans and Democrats hear Trump. My lovely BIL is a Republican and when he was facing long years of salad days, would rail against anything Clinton or Obama were doing. He would NEVER admit that many of their policies helped his small business and put food on his table. When his wife left him with a young child, it was gov't assistance that fed the little one. Where do these GOP'ers think this mad money comes from?

wedjet said:

people have an amazing capacity for justifying their own reliance on a system while criticizing that same system as one that is exploited by other lazy people intent on living off the labor of hard-working people.

wedjet said:

+++

My father who never finished high school was one of the first at the Polls every election day. My mother voted in the afternoon.

If you think this, you don't actually understand very much you know.

terp said:

This sums it up.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.