Verizon Fios triple play

Steve said:

I would file a complaint with BPU and FCC about the portability issue. 

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/portability-keeping-your-phone-number-when-changing-service-providers

Fees and charges
  • Companies may charge their customers fees to recover the costs that they incur in providing number portability. Ask the new company whether it charges any number portability fees and whether those fees can be waived.
  • Companies may not refuse to port a number because a consumer has not paid for porting.
  • Once you request service from a new company, your old company can't refuse to port your number, even if you owe money for an outstanding balance or termination fee; however, you are still obligated to pay any unpaid balances or fees, if applicable.

Also, according to the FCC - they can charge: http://www.fcc.gov/guides/portability-keeping-your-phone-number-when-changing-service-providers

• Companies may charge their customers fees to recover the costs that they incur in providing number portability. Ask the new company whether it charges any number portability fees and whether those fees can be waived

It refers to contacting your new provider about charges, not your existing one.

I have read elsewhere as well that that part of the FCC document refers to inbound and outbound transfers. REgardless I am done with these thieves. 

scottgreenstone said:

REgardless I am done with these thieves. 

Right. You're switching to a new band of thieves. *emoticon* 

Possibly, but at least they are stealing less money from me.

What was interesting is the sales women that came to my house told me that Verizon charges more in Fees and Taxes then Optimum, how is that possible?

The fees are actually determined by the company. The taxes shouldn't be any different. 

Could be STB rentals. I have one STB and DVR, and 50/50 internet and phone with international dialing plan (only reason for phone) with Verizon and my base price is less than yours, but my taxes and fees probably psh my bill higher than yours, scott.

Ridski I just have 1 STB and its included in that price. You may have a tv package with fewer channels.

Haven't really found anywhere that fully compares the two. Optimum appears to have 600+ channels, I have 435 plus HBO and Showtime included. I wanted to drop down to the package below that as I don't watch THAT much TV, but then I'd lose my premium channels and would end up paying more to get them back.

Yeah it is all way too confusing for something as simple as watching TV 

Telecom companies are allowed to tack on fees that are above their rates and bill them in such a way that they look like taxes and government-mandated fees. Imagine if the supermarket "charged" $4 for a gallon of milk and $1.29 in milk delivery, dairy health, and clean air fees. That wouldn't really be a $4 gallon of milk. But telecom companies have their own rules.

Yes, they really do have their own rules. I just spent nearly an hour signing us up for TV and Internet service in our new house. Sadly, there are not many options, so I'm stuck with DISH TV and Comcast Internet (and I totally forgot to ask about the upload/download speeds, for crying out loud). The red tape and fee explanations nearly killed me. Unbelievable.

And I can't wait to see the first bill, because you KNOW there will be way more on it than we are expecting. Grrrrrrrrrrr....

PeggyC (and others), for what it's worth, when we lived in Maplewood, my wife pinned down the Verizon fios salesman to a monthly rate. She got his name and contact info and got him to promise that our bill would be the amount he quoted. She had to call him every month for several months to adjust our bill, but he did it. Stand up for your rights! Don't give up the fight!

I am particularly irritated how they say they don't know what the fees and taxes will be. That is beyond lame.

It is beyond lame. But my nature is so non-confrontational IRL that I shrink from that kind of phone call. I know. That makes ME lame.

When I re-upped with Verizon yesterday, they gave me a full run down of what the fees and taxes would be then reiterated it in an email.

Yes Risdski - but wait and see how that compares to your actual bill. Mine never matched what they emailed or told me.

I was very interested in the new FiOS "slim bundles" plan, as my family watches pathetically few channels, including exactly zero sports networks. And then...I saw the base price for the plan: $59.99. Guess what I pay for the "EXTREME HD!!!!" part of my current FiOS package, which includes hundreds of channels plus many HBO and Showtime channels? You guessed it: $59.99. The slim bundles save me zero dollars. FINE, ESPN. You can continue to get my $6 a month. Siiiigh.

Hah. Sneaky bastids.

Yeah, I hate the bundles that include things we never, ever watch. We pay almost zero attention to football season. And truly zero attention to hockey season. Might watch a couple of college basketball games a year. Yet we pay for all that sports coverage. *sigh*

I haven't watched a broadcast TV show since Community was good. Good shows are out there, but I have a 2-3 hour TV watching window per day, and one hour immediately goes to Daily Show and @Midnight. Then there's GoT, Children's Hospital, Inside Amy Schumer, The Soup, Archer, Broad City, The Comedians, Louie, Say Yes To The Dress, Comedy Bang Bang, Whatever the heck is on Masterpiece Classic and Masterpiece Mystery and Last Week Tonight. 

Hannibal? Who has time for that? I'm still catching up on Season 2 of Justified while waiting to fall asleep!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.