Update on Highland Place?

krugle said:
Me, a former HP barfly?  Ok, I like it.
Most customers looked like the "Short Hills" type.  Women with perfect hair, men with khaki pants and no socks with their loafers. I felt sad.

Oy. 

As long as my table is full of family or friends, I don’t care if the rest of a restaurant is from Short Hills or Them Thar.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:
 Oy. 

That's som'thin to recommend the place. I can't afford me no socks so maybe I will try it out.

krugle said:
Most customers looked like the "Short Hills" type.  Women with perfect hair, men with khaki pants and no socks with their loafers. I felt sad.

There should be a Supreme Court ruling against men wearing no socks with their loafers.

DaveSchmidt said:
As long as my table is full of family or friends, I don’t care if the rest of a restaurant is from Short Hills or Them Thar.

Yep and then some.

Went on day 2. The space is open and beautiful. Yes it looks trendy, but lots of warm wood, exposed brick and comfortable chairs make the place feel welcoming to all. It did seem that Millburn/SH was well represented at the bar, but there were many familiar maplewood/so faces too. We were there just for apps and a bottle of wine, and it felt like a place where you can linger. There were some service issues - wrong wine being brought out, and the waiter twice wanting to clear plates before we were done, but it is nothing that a little time can't fix. The menu is more interesting and the price point lower  when compared to Cassidy and F&F.  I actually think Coda should be more worried.

Were the Millburn/SH crowd wearing their unmistakable vineyard vines winstead sankaty performance polos with popped collars?  Usually a dead giveaway.

Robert_Casotto said:
Were the Millburn/SH crowd wearing their unmistakable vineyard vines winstead sankaty performance polos with popped collars?  Usually a dead giveaway.

Unfortunately perhaps this is now SOMA as well.

You're snobs. It limits you.

-s.

If you do happen upon one of these Millburn/SH types in the village, be careful not to look directly at them or inhale as they near.  I’ve heard that their dazzling visage and perfumed redolence can be strangely intoxicating.

Robert_Casotto said:
If you do happen upon one of these Millburn/SH types in the village, be careful not to look directly at them or inhale as they near.  I’ve heard that their dazzling visage and perfumed redolence can be strangely intoxicating.

Inhaling is fine, but NEVER EVER look them directly in the eye, or you will turn into one of them.

I hate to bring up anything negative about a place that I really, really want to succeed, so I’m hoping they can do something about the noise.  It’s probably because I’m old and half deaf, but the noise can keep me away and I’d like to go there regularly. 

jeffl said:
I hate to bring up anything negative about a place that I really, really want to succeed, so I’m hoping they can do something about the noise.  It’s probably because I’m old and half deaf, but the noise can keep me away and I’d like to go there regularly. 

Unclear why this is an afterthought for so many restaurants. Or not even a factor at all.

This may change.  An app for evaluating restaurant noise has been invented:  https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/10/01/yelp-for-noise

jeffl said:

I just don't get the indifference to this.  I gave up going to Cassidy as it was just so uncomfortable...

Best Regards,

Ron Carter

My days at the Fillmore East left me with hearing loss, and I've since developed tinnitus, so noise levels in the eateries I frequent do matter to me. If these reports from patrons about the din there are true, I'll be absent. I'm old. I like to hear what my tablemates say (even the Bergen County Foodie Four), and won't go where I gotta shout to be heard...

-s.

rcarter31 said:

jeffl said:
 I just don't get the indifference to this.  I gave up going to Cassidy as it was just so uncomfortable...
Best Regards,
Ron Carter

I agree.  Many restaurants seem to suffer from the same indifference.  

It has to do with modern restaurant design. Bare floors, stainless steel fixtures, high uncovered ceilings all reflect sound instead of absorb it. 

https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/576715/

There are four levels of sound annoyance. 

4, is the Cassidy level. I won't bother entering the door.

3. Is Coda. There are times when I can hear what the person across from me is saying. Not always, but times.

2. Is Cactus Charlies. I can hear what the person across the table is saying, until Mom and Dad bring in little sweetheart.

1. Is Mapleleaf and Parkwood and a couple of others. I can actually hear what the person across from me is saying -- all the time.

basil said:

krugle said:
There should be a Supreme Court ruling against men wearing no socks with their loafers.

Robert_Casotto said:

Before I post my review, I now feel obligated to note I was wearing no socks with my chinos (I wouldn’t call them khakis), bottoms rakishly rolled, of course; grosgrain flip flops in lieu of vintage Sperrys; a needlepoint belt; and a broken-in, barely-faded polo (collar down). 

That now out of the way... I won’t rate them given their very recent opening, but there exists some small room for improvement.  Drinks (a nice, bitter take on a traditional Negroni, a balanced Bitter Melon, and a lovely Triennes rosé) were all excellent.  Olives were a good call at the bar.  While I thought the sheep’s milk ricotta crostini was okay (if a bit too heavy on the zest and the bread a wee bit too charred), ctrzwife detested it with the hate of a vengeful army.  A friend at the bar went so far as to say she’s never cook for her husband again if he said he liked it.  Wasn’t that bad, really.  Arturo’s still has that market solidly cornered, however— not even close.  The salumi was solid if not particularly remarkable (I mean, it’s REAL hard to make mortadella stand out no matter what you do, and I resent it even being included, but whatevs), though the giardiniera packed a nice punch; the house-made mustard can stand on its own.  Linguini alle vongole was perfect on all fronts (the touch of breadcrumbs and salty bottarga put it over the top), though the Bolognese wasn’t overly remarkable, if still well-executed.  Dessert was ice cream around the corner, but I would have ordered all of the menu. 

Service was surprisingly good given the short time open— young (particularly bus staff), but attentive (if not likely harried behind the scenes).  Noise level up but no one seemed to care (we didn’t), and it lent a nice buzz to the place, which was still packed around 9:45pm (as was Arturo’s FWIW).  No trouble at all having a conversation at the table, which was along the wall halfway in.  They need some time as expected, but not as much as I would have thought... looking forward to when the kitchen starts to flex a bit.  I’ve no doubt this will remain in regular rotation. 

sockless loafers vs ironic tees coupled with idiotic halo style fedoras and knuckle tattoos. Hard choice.

I fail to see the issue with sockless  loafers.  (Except with shorts.)

Formerlyjerseyjack said:
3. Is Coda. There are times when I can hear what the person across from me is saying. Not always, but times.
2. Is Cactus Charlies. I can hear what the person across the table is saying, until Mom and Dad bring in little sweetheart.
1. Is Mapleleaf and Parkwood and a couple of others. I can actually hear what the person across from me is saying -- all the time.

Add to level 1: Verjus, Lorena's, and Manny's Texas Wiener. No rhyme intended...

-s.

BTW: Technically, Manny's is in Union...

http://www.mannystexasweiners.com/Welcome.tpl?action=nc&from=Top125

Addendum: The O.S.H.A. standard for exposure to harmful sound: If you have to raise your voice to carry on a conversation, the sound is at a level that will harm your hearing. 

Hearing protection is required for employees.

Formerlyjerseyjack said:
Addendum: The O.S.H.A. standard for exposure to harmful sound: If you have to raise your voice to carry on a conversation, the sound is at a level that will harm your hearing. 
Hearing protection is required for employees.

I was an artillery officer in the Army.  Managed to keep my hearing via ear-plugs. Would be pretty sad to lose it by dining at the local establishments without them.

If I have to raise my voice to have a conversation at any of the local eateries, it’s likely because my dining companions have already had hearing loss they’ve failed to address. 

ctrzaska said:
If I have to raise my voice to have a conversation at any of the local eateries, it’s likely because my dining companions have already had hearing loss they’ve failed to address. 

Eh? Eh? Speak up, man!

-s.

ctrzaska said:

Why don't you carry your conversation over whatsapp? This is 2019 after all

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

Total agreement, with the caveat that if you ask to go into the side room at Coda, and you can get a table, you can hear everyone.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.