Update on Highland Place?

Indeed.  Initially I did not subscribe but it seemed that every story I wanted to read was  behind  the paywall  therefore it was worth my while to subscribe 

Not sure about the laws but could this license just be a case of him "purchasing" it so the town can take it away and sell it to the restaurant in the new PO site? 

On a whole number of levels... no.

Anyone know why the stop-work order was issued yesterday?

I don't.

But in my experience they are usually issued to stop work that is progressing without an approved building department permit.

i dont like the liquor license law but seriously, use it or lose it. i hope that dude lost a lot of money on this deal.

At Highland Place?

imonlysleeping said:

Anyone know why the stop-work order was issued yesterday?

so did anyone read the top 25 nj restaurants in nj mag-see the article about lorena's (wants more space and liquor license!!??)

oots

Work going on at Highland Place today.  I was in shock.....YEAH.  Anyone know who the next occupant may be, Lorena's???

Heard that the owner of Publik House on 22 is doing it.

Heard that the owner of Publik House on 22 is doing it.

IMHO, one of the appealing characteristics of Lorena's is the cozy and intimate atmosphere.  A space as large as Highland Place wouldn't work for me.

yahooyahoo said:

IMHO, one of the appealing characteristics of Lorena's is the cozy and intimate atmosphere.  A space as large as Highland Place wouldn't work for me.

Well, gosh, you haven't seen it yet!  Way to doom it in advance.

It's perfectly possible to make a large space feel cozy, so why not wait to see what happens?

this is a record even for MOL. Usually people at least wait for a place to open to give it a lousy review.

Is there any evidence that Lorena's is taking the space over? I think what yahooyahoo was saying is that he likes the intimacy of Lorena's not that another restaurant wouldn't work there...

Lorena's indicated in NJ Magazine that they are interested in expanding and possibly getting a liquor license if they could find a way to do so  "affordably".  So I bet they at least kicked the tires at the Highland Place" space. But they also said there is an expansion option at their current location (though the indication was that it was without a liquor license.).

". Two years ago, they managed to expand within the building, freeing up kitchen space and spreading 55 seats comfortably across two dining rooms. That was Lorena’s 2.0. But with customers coming (even weekly, Campos says) from as far away as tony Rumson, Deal and Montvale, as well as Westfield, Cranford, Red Bank and, of course, Maplewood, 55 seats doesn’t cut it. Neither, frankly, does remaining a BYO. “The next phase has to be spectacular,” Campos says. Finding the right space in the right location with a liquor license at the right price is a very long-odds trifecta. That means expanding as a BYO in the existing building is still a possibility. Lorena’s, Campos promises, won’t disappear"

https://njmonthly.com/articles/eat-drink/best-restaurants-2016/3/

A post in Village Green last week mentioned a "gastropub in Mountainside." (Not confirmed, but the landlord's lawyer said they were in talks.) Maybe that's the Publik House that Krugle heard?

I'm not saying Lorena's is going into Highland Place building, just that if Lorena's moved into that space that it would change the feel of the restaurant.

marylago said:

Is there any evidence that Lorena's is taking the space over? I think what yahooyahoo was saying is that he likes the intimacy of Lorena's not that another restaurant wouldn't work there...

yahooyahoo said:

I'm not saying Lorena's is going into Highland Place building, just that if Lorena's moved into that space that it would change the feel of the restaurant.
marylago said:

That's what I said... (eta: or that's what I meant, anyway... )

if a real gastropub this guy will make a boatload of money.  

Reading is Fundamental people.

Lorena's isn't moving in. Some dimming bulbs today.

grocerylist said:

Reading is Fundamental people.

Lorena's isn't moving in. Some dimming bulbs today.

grocery

I missed your post on the other thread before I commented on nj mag article-but I dont read anything anywhere that confirms yes or no on where they may or may not be moving to.  ( did i miss something?)

I do hope they stay in maplewood.

oots

I asked someone working inside, and I'm told it's going to be a restaurant with seafood and "American" cuisine.  They are targeting a November open.

hey oots you're cool with me. if one rereads the piece one can infer that Lorena's already considered the Highland Place space but rejected it. so, yes, there is no definitive yes or no.

Welcome to the PO, Lorena's... nice ring to it, that.  Now get going.

What a wonderful thing for the population of Maplewood to have this restaurant to gossip about again. There was a time when it was the favorite topic in town. 

"Here's what Chris should do..."

any update on the official open date?  I heard they’re having a soft opening for friends and family currently.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.