Trustees agree to investigate alternative uses for Village Hall

jgberkeley said:

South Orange has received three bids in response to its RFP for the sale and adaptive re-use of Village Hall.

Sorry to pull this back on topic, but, almost 60 days has passed. When will the public get a look at the proposals that Village Hall received?

Seems odd that this information is not Transparent for us to know.

@jgberkeley - you may want to file an OPRA request. It appears that someone else filed an OPRA Request for the bidders to renovate Village Hall and that information was provided:

Thanx, but why is this a secret? Are we not a Tranparent Local Gov.? No smoke rooms, dark closets that kind of thing.

As mentioned well above, you want to hold your cards close in these negotiations. If each developer knew the magic number they would beat it by a buck.

I think George's point is that the deadline to submit proposals has long since passed, so the responses should now be shared publicly.

Exactly!

Why am I always so hard to figure out?

michaelgoldberg said:

I think George's point is that the deadline to submit proposals has long since passed, so the responses should now be shared publicly.

This was an RFP, not a price-driven bid based on tight specifications. Since the Village legally has the latitude to negotiate with proposers, why would it serves the public's interest to have competing proposers see each others' proposals , while they're being asked to refine and improve their proposals?

Is that for an indefinite amount of time? According to the Village Green article on January 16, 2015:

"Trustees discussed forming a working committee to vet the proposals, keeping in mind that there is a 60-day window to respond to the bids."

I have updated the project cost spreadsheet for renovation to include the cost proposal estimate of the low bidder:
(bear in mind that if the renovation does move ahead, the "relocation expenses" and "construction manager" expenses below will increase further since those were each only 2 year contracts that are about to lapse.)

michaelgoldberg said:

Is that for an indefinite amount of time? According to the Village Green article on January 16, 2015:

"Trustees discussed forming a working committee to vet the proposals, keeping in mind that there is a 60-day window to respond to the bids."

The 60 day window is to "respond" to bids, not to accept them. If the Village suggests some changes, the bidders then have the chance to change their proposals.

Don't believe RFP respondents are entitled to a response within 60 days. Regardless, proposers can agree to extend any deadlines.

The real deadline is for choosing between a $7M+ renovation of an obsolete white elephant.or adaptive re-use to support economic development.

http://villagegreennj.com/towns/government/south-orange-weighs-proposals-village-hall-website-design/

There were four responses to the RFPs (requests for proposals) for Village Hall renovations, said Township Administrator Barry Lewis, Jr. on Wednesday, with bids ranging from $5,622,000 to $7,777,000. The lowest bid was “right in line with our estimate,” said Lewis.

After the architect and construction manager review the bids they will offer a recommendation. The Village will then compare the bids to the two they previously received for the sale and adaptive reuse of the building to determine which direction to take.

“We are trying to crystallize and finalize the adaptive reuse bids, and see which [option] presents the better opportunity,” said Lewis. That process should be completed within the next two months. The Trustees and Village President have been apprised of the bids, and the public will be updated at the March 23 BOT meeting.

cramer said:

Aside from any financial considerations, which are critical, I would love to see something go into the location that would revitalize that part of the downtown, and be a destination.

Me too.

How about if Daryl Richardson builds a small rainforest there?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g55711-d126957-Reviews-Dallas_World_Aquarium-Dallas_Texas.html

Richardson is featured, not flatteringly, in the latest issue of the New Republic (http://www.newrepublic.com/article/121184/daryl-richardsons-dallas-world-aquarium-causes-zoo-controversy); but I have wanted to see a rainforest in downtown SO forever.

Think about how nice it would be to hang out there in the winter. Think of the educational and employment resource something like that would provide. And talk about destination...

Of course, the PNC building would be far more suitable, if it were for sale. Gut the interior, add a floor. There's already parking.

(A girl can dream.)

Think big! Maybe George could have the largest UPS store in the country!

Hmmm, and since we have no animal shelter and the one we had is being considered for an assortment of other uses, I say we turn the whole space into the most architecturally charming pet adoption center in the Western Hemisphere!
(This girl can dream as well!)
I'm ready to move my 501C3 cat rescue right in. I see the auditorium filled during the Humane Education presentations! Hmm, I'll use my teaching license to lobby for community service credits for students.
I think I'll pitch Leon Russell Friday night at Sopac and see if he is available for the opening fundraiser!. This is big, BIG!

Damn it, the cat ladies and Leon Russell are invading my suburban rainforest.

JCSO said:

Damn it, the cat ladies and Leon Russell are invading my suburban rainforest.

OK, we compromise, we do a Rainforest Room and have Leon sing Back To The Island, lots of bird calls in the background.

marcsiry said:

Haunted house.

A haunted house room would be awesome for the endless array of black cats that we get. Do the whole room black with a bit of black light. Highlight a few cats with Day Glo, a kind of Where's Waldo Cat World.

Big Opening Night Party on Halloween! Hmm where are my cat ears......?

marcsiry said:

Haunted house.

Arent the BOT meetings scary enough - do we need a whole building to scare people now?

scottgreenstone said:

marcsiry said:

Haunted house.

Arent the BOT meetings scary enough - do we need a whole building to scare people now?

That's my point. Minimal adaptive reuse needed. It's pretty scary as is.

cmaynard said:

The Trustees and Village President have been apprised of the bids, and the public will be updated at the March 23 BOT meeting.

I think the update on March 23 was that a separate meeting would be scheduled to discuss the bids and the options for the $7.5M Village Hall project, but it's 2 weeks later and I don't see anything on the Calendar.

http://southorange.org/calendarNew/default.asp

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.